Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6b_lSQst0

Hunter x Hunter is an action-adventure manga written and illuswait that's uh not the right video, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjq7aj8MhiY

Hunter x Hunter is an action-adventure manga written and illustrated by the allegedly eternally at death's door and/or possibly just lazy or something Yoshihiro Togashi (creator of such after school snack time hits as Yu Yu Hakusho and something else, maybe). The series began publication in 1998 and is still running limping somehow not canceled till this day, which is great because honestly it's pretty dope and weird and inventive and tight and stuff. Hunter Ex Hunter saw an anime adaptation in 1999 but nobody cares about that because it got another one in 2011 which was better in every way and is apparently what got most people on this board into the series. Indeed, so beloved is Hunter S. Thompson that it frequently becomes the topic of threads that have nothing to do with it simply because it is in some way tangentially related, so I figured we might as well have this thread for all our Ache Times Ache needs.

Yeah, no, the series is still on hiatus. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

While this thread exists primarily for people who're already familiar with Togashi's work and just want a place to shoot the breeze about it, newcomers are welcome too! Legal streams of Hunter can be found on Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Hulu while the manga is available in full from VIZ Media (who will also be handling the anime's physical release and English dub).

Why should you watch Huntsman's Copse? Great question.

I stumbled upon Haunter myself in late 2014 and quickly fell in love with the series. Togashi's a great writer with a crisp style and honestly one of the few shounen authors I'd argue really "Gets" fighting. His characters are likable and unorthodox in unexpected ways, and the world they inhabit is vibrant and exciting and weird and occasionally downright horrifying (Dark Continent arc, never). Although the series is "Technically" unfinished, the 2011 anime by studio Madhouse ends in a surprisingly natural place that leaves you wishing for more yet satisfied with what you've got. Watch Husband's Ex-Wife today!

Let's meet our main dudes.

Gon Freecss is our foolish, fearless, freakishly strong protagonist. Separated from his father at a young age ("Lost" in the manga, "Abandoned" in the anime), Gon's unyielding purpose is to beat up as many bad guys as it takes to meet his dad and find out what his deal is. Uses a fishing pole to fight initially before just forgetting about it or something.

Killua Zoldyck is an accomplished murderer for hire and Gon's best friend. His parents want him to take over the family business but for the moment he's more interested in having a social circle for the first time in his life. Like Gon he is ridiculously powerful despite being a virtual kid and does crazy stuff like ripping out people's hearts and spending millions on candy.

Special Snowflake Edgelord Kurapika is the last surviving member of the Kurta Clan which has been hunted into extinction over the matter of their fiercely beautiful, context-sensitive scarlet eyes (Kurapika wears contacts). The most level-headed and rational of our protagonists, Kurapika has decided to devote his life to revenge, bloodshed, and whacking folks for the mob. Into chains in a big way.

Leorio Paradinight is the best character and doesn't get to do nearly enough like seriously for real DARK CONTINENT WHEN TOGASHI?

Hisoka is a stupid gay clown nursing the mother of all murderboners for anybody he deems tough enough. This includes Gon so make sure you watch his scenes on your big screen TV just as your mom comes in to ask what you're doing.

Best girl according to forums superstar Stairmaster.

Ging Freecss is Gon's deadbeat dad. He's super famous and kind of a dick.

The Hunter Association runs pretty much everything in this world and there's nobody who can really stop them. Gon and friends want to join their ranks because of all the privileges membership brings like zero interest loans for life and getting away with murder. Hundreds of eager applicants show up every year to try and qualify but most of them die horribly.

The Zoldyck Family are the best assassins in the world and have really weird ways of expressing affection. Their house is a major tourist trap no one's ever seen and their pet dog kills people indiscriminately.

The Phantom Troupe are the best thieves in the world and responsible for the destruction of the Kurta Clan. They're all outcasts and weirdos but still oddly human. Their boss' ability lets him steal other people's powers once they've explained them which is incredible.

Ted Bower, also known as the Teddy Bomber, is a critic of capitalism who uses explosives disguised as stuffed bears to destroy skyscrapers (which he believes to be symbolic of society's indulgences). Appears in episode 22, "Cowboy Funk," of the esteemed anime classic Cowboy Bebop.

Cell is the ultimate life form designed by Dr. Gero to surpass the Z Fighters. Although strong and skilled in the martial arts and ki, what makes him a truly terrifying is his ability to drain his victims as a means of bolstering and magnifying his own power. Can he be stopped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A ha ha ha ha ha ha Cell and that other guy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I really like Hunter x Hunter, and will get back to watching it at some point.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Gonna start off this bad thread with a bad post.

I have a gigantic gay crush on Kurapika's voice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Gonna start off this bad thread with a bad post.

I have a gigantic gay crush on Kurapika's voice.

Same, but Leorio.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Hello, president of the Cheadle Yorkshire fan club checking in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd4vY3BKQDo

:siren: ~*THIS IS A TROLL FREE ZONE, CHEADLE FANS ONLY~* :siren:
:siren:

:siren: ~*THIS IS A TROLL FREE ZONE, CHEADLE FANS ONLY~*
:siren:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Yorknew City is the best arc, and the Chimera Ants dragged on too long. Hisoka v Chrollo is the best fight.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

klapman posted:

Yorknew City is the best arc, and the Chimera Ants dragged on too long. Hisoka v Chrollo is the best fight.
[DISAGREEMENT BOX] The Chimera Arc was actually just about the right length, but was super hosed over because it was when the hiatuses went from 'bad' to 'really loving bad' so that leaves the impression it lasted too long.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sorry diggity, but even good dogs must stand aside when the real best character checks in.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Pierson posted:

The Chimera Arc was actually just about the right length, but was super hosed over because it was when the hiatuses went from 'bad' to 'really loving bad' so that leaves the impression it lasted too long.

While coming out over the course of 8 years has certainly soured people on it a lot (how many threads did you end up making for it?), Chimera Ant itself has some issues with inconsistent pacing even when marathoned over a short duration.
That said, the way the narrative juggles and resolves a shitload of very tightly connected character arcs and about half a dozen thematic arcs without somehow disastrously exploding due to its own momentum means it is in fact the best arc despite what all the unfortunate misclicking in the poll would have you believe. :colbert:

Edit:

klapman posted:

Hisoka v Chrollo is the best fight.
This is completely correct though

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 19, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can stop cell.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I made a thread every time it looked like it was serious about the end of hiatuses, so three I think: Two during the Chimera Ant arc, then another when it ended and the Hunter Elections arc started up and we got like two months of uninterrupted HxH. Every time I was betrayed so someone else had to make the one for the two months of Dark Continent content we got. :v:

Jostiband posted:

While coming out over the course of 8 years has certainly soured people on it a lot (how many threads did you end up making for it?), Chimera Ant itself has some issues with inconsistent pacing even when marathoned over a short duration.
That said, the way the narrative juggles and resolves a shitload of very tightly connected character arcs and about half a dozen thematic arcs without somehow disastrously exploding due to its own momentum means it is in fact the best arc despite what all the unfortunate misclicking in the poll would have you believe. :colbert:
Chimera Ant might be my favourite arc of any young-adult comic. I know other stories that were as complex or more complex and still managed to pull it out in the end (Light vs L before Death Note fell apart in act two, Hickman's work on Avengers/Fantastic Four even if Secret Wars still has to stick the landing) but none so naturally, or that introduced so many characters and not a single one felt extraneous or useless. I don't remember the minor pacing issues (SOUNDS LIKE A PERFECT EXCUSE TO RE-READ IT) but I remember a whole shitload of character moments and action beats that were just fantastic.

Dark Continent was set up to be loving incredible with master troll Ging actually no-poo poo doing stuff, and Kurapika and Leorio back, and Pariston and Cheadle loving around, and Beyond and his group, and the bunch of royal family psychos, and fffffuuuucccccckkkkkkk

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like the election arc because Ging got punched in the face. Also Cheadle is a weird body mod furry.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I'm watching the 2011 anime and i just watched ep 103. I think this might be the only anime i've seen with over 100 episodes. hunter x hunter is good y'all

E: also no one voted for heaven's arena, everyone has good taste.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

klapman posted:

:hfive:

The best episodes of Chimera Ant arc were the Phantom Troup loving up the invading ants.

(How are we handling spoiler tags in this thread?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yorknew was the best arc because Kurapika got to kill some of the Phantom Troupe. The only bad part was that he didn't kill off more of them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

(How are we handling spoiler tags in this thread?
This thread is mainly for folks who're caught up on the series and wish to discuss it at length, so bringing up spoilers is fine and spoiler tags are not required.

The only real exception to this is if someone mentions they're watching it for the first time and would like to talk about/liveblog it while doing so.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is pitou a boy or a girl

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think Pitou works best as female because the three royal guard all saw the King in different ways and Pitou's seemed to be more a more maternal figure than the other two.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My assumption would be that, apart from the King and Queen, chimera ants are genderless drones which due to their unique physiology can still pick up and display (vestigial) secondary sexual characteristics.

Pitou is likely neither male nor female, but bears feminine traits and features due to her genetic makeup.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

But what does Pitou identify as gender wise?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

STRONG.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Momomo posted:

Yorknew was the best arc because Kurapika got to kill some of the Phantom Troupe. The only bad part was that he didn't kill off more of them.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed by the attempt to make the Phantom Troupe seem good-ish during the Chimera Ant arc. Those guys (with the possible exception of the ones who joined more recently, like Killua's sister) have done some irredeemable stuff and aren't much better than the ants they were fighting.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pretty sure it's safe to call any of the Royal Guards "it" but the real question is whether Kite is a girl or a boy

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed by the attempt to make the Phantom Troupe seem good-ish during the Chimera Ant arc. Those guys (with the possible exception of the ones who joined more recently, like Killua's sister) have done some irredeemable stuff and aren't much better than the ants they were fighting.

Much like their earlier development in the Yorknew City Arc, as well as in the Greed Island Arc, I'm pretty sure that stuff is there to show that they're people and not just one-dimensional villains. That's one of the things I love about HxH. One-time villains actually do non-villain things when they're no longer the antagonists, and the main "good" organization, the Hunter Association, is shady as gently caress, what with the license being literally a license to kill and such.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

klapman posted:

ChrolloQuwrof

Bad Seafood posted:

Killua ZoldyckZaoldyeck

Special Snowflake Edgelord KurapikaCurarpikt

The ZoldyckZaoldyeck Family

I'm going to go ahead and request that only official names are used here, and none of these fake ones the fans have come up with.
Thanks in advance ;-*

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Postal Parcel posted:

I'm going to go ahead and request that only official names are used here, and none of these fake ones the fans have come up with.
Thanks in advance ;-*

I would be impressed with anyone who could remember Chrollo's real full name without looking it up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Chimera King Mary was a cool dude in the end, and that entire arc had the best payoff. Pity about the massive delay issues.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Genocyber posted:

Much like their earlier development in the Yorknew City Arc, as well as in the Greed Island Arc, I'm pretty sure that stuff is there to show that they're people and not just one-dimensional villains. That's one of the things I love about HxH. One-time villains actually do non-villain things when they're no longer the antagonists, and the main "good" organization, the Hunter Association, is shady as gently caress, what with the license being literally a license to kill and such.

I can understand this, but everything surrounding the Phantom Troupe just came off as so awkward when it came to this, that I can't really enjoy them after Yorknew. It's made a lot worse because we don't see Kurapika develop after that for pretty much an eternity.

Of course, I hated the Chimera Ants so much that I was actually rooting for them because they were at least something different. That's how much I hated the Chimera Ants.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Yu Yu Hakusho is better than Hunter x Hunter by a lot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

I only saw the 98 HxH but I agree.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

It's hard to say which is better at this point, because YYH kind of fell apart at the end and HxH is never going to end at all.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
I've dropped it soon after chimera arc started. That was such a quality dip at the time and the whole premise of the arc with its antagonists seemed laughable to me.

I might reread it again, but only after it'll be finished and if the ending wouldn't be a rushed mess.

P.S. Couldn't get into YYH as well, dropped at 2nd-3rd volume despite loving a lot of other classic shounens. So the only series from the author that I've fully enjoyed is Level E.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 20, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can always watch the Chimera Ant arc because the Madhouse adaptation really brings to life how scary these giant man-eating ants are. Then they learn Nen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck reading it is a viable option too since these days the redone art is pretty much complete for all of the finished arcs, and it's quite nice.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Momomo posted:

I can understand this, but everything surrounding the Phantom Troupe just came off as so awkward when it came to this, that I can't really enjoy them after Yorknew. It's made a lot worse because we don't see Kurapika develop after that for pretty much an eternity.

The bolded part kind of got to me, too. We barely hear from him after Yorknew, and in the final montage, all we get is him brooding in a suit looking over a set of his dead relatives' eyes. It really kind of hit home that the guy is never going to be happy even if he gets his revenge, and it was kind of sad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Pewdiepie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXk5ru5gJQM