Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

bees x1000 posted:

And Pitou is the most changed/humanized/moralized/goodinized of the royal guard at that point.

Idk her headless body freaking out like a twitching insect was freaky as poo poo. That whole sequence was hard to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pitou is still a dangerous threat and if she'd survived everyone would likely have been extremely hosed it's worth mentioning. She has humanized quite a bit but her loyalty to her King is still paramount. She can show empathy and pity but Gon killing her did save some lives. It just gained him absolutely nothing on a personal level while costing him almost everything, and the lives he saved were basically by accident.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Idk her headless body freaking out like a twitching insect was freaky as poo poo. That whole sequence was hard to watch.

It’s not really as bad as the rampant child murder but I don’t really think Gon vs Pitou isn’t meant to be comfortable to watch cause it’s a hosed up unnatural transformation and basically not even a fight, it’s a massacre, cause if Gon had been trying to finish her and not exact some hosed up catharsis revenge atonement he would have just cut her head off and been done with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

Pitou is still a dangerous threat and if she'd survived everyone would likely have been extremely hosed it's worth mentioning. She has humanized quite a bit but her loyalty to her King is still paramount. She can show empathy and pity but Gon killing her did save some lives. It just gained him absolutely nothing on a personal level while costing him almost everything, and the lives he saved were basically by accident.

Pitou however was the most loyal to the King as a person, rather then as an ideal like how Pouf was. Pitou likely would have just respected whatever Meruem's wishes were. (Maybe she would have tried to save Merum's life with Dr Blythe, but there is a decent chance he would have sent Pitou away having figured out he was dying by that point.)

Heck if one if Pitou had not become scared of Gon, or if Pouf had not tricked Pitou into thinking that Komugi was out of the invasion team's hands, the fight between Gon and Pitou probably would not have happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, if pitou had burned her life like gon did to save meruem she might have actually succeeded.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
From my POV, Pouf is probably the most human of the Royal Guard. Although nowhere close to being 'good'.

Ultimately, I feel like the 'humanising' arc that Youpi and Pitou appear to be on is intended to be illusory. Pitou never cares about Komugi at all as a person, only as something important to the King. There is also no real sincerity behind apologising to Gon, if anything it is intended just to destabilise him. Pitou is planning the entire time to kill him and stalls for time to heal their injuries. They are portrayed pretty much as entirely amoral throughout. They never take a single action that isn't either to amuse themselves personally (generally fighting and turning people into puppets) or for the King's benefit.

Youpi probably comes closest to being 'good', but their progress is stripped away in an instant when reconnecting with the King. All three are slaved to the King and their ant instincts. The whole pre-battle conversation with Meruem and Netero basically outlines the idea that true reconciliation with the Ants in general isn't possible, their human fancies, morality and proclivities can melt away in an instant due to their fundamental nature, which is why he never even considers bargaining and talking things out (that and the terms are a bit, uh, bad).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Turin Turambar posted:

It's clearly inspired by the famous super saiyan Goku moment. That's kinda the point, Togashi took a shonen trope and did his own, twisted, improved version. He established before that nen depends a lot on pure feeling and psyche and he established the pledge system, so it was less of a arbitrary powerup, and he made it more dramatic and with consequences.
In a way it's Togashi flexing, taking one of the most famous moments in shonen and saying 'no, this is how it is done'.

While I won't deny it's a very powerful moment, I think you're making too big a deal of it. It's a dark twist on a classic shonen trope, yes, but it's definitely "not how it's done" or even "improved". In most shonen stories the tonal clash would be horrible, for one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeza posted:

There is also no real sincerity behind apologising to Gon, if anything it is intended just to destabilise him. Pitou is planning the entire time to kill him and stalls for time to heal their injuries.

This is not true. Pitou apologizes to him saying Kite can't be healed then starts healing their arm, and after doing so, apologizes to Gon again before stating that they are going to kill Gon for the King's sake. Pitou also lets Gon get his emotions out before making any moves against him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kyte posted:

While I won't deny it's a very powerful moment, I think you're making too big a deal of it. It's a dark twist on a classic shonen trope, yes, but it's definitely "not how it's done" or even "improved". In most shonen stories the tonal clash would be horrible, for one.

Most shonen already have that tonal clash anyway. As most of them deal with loss of some kind but once the transformation takes place the loss is regulated to an afterthought.

I think Hunter is one of the few shonen that has a consistent tone about it really.

That and his previous work Yu Yu. Though that went in a more depressed way instead of angry

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry to bump this again (I don’t think any of us have any real hope at this point though), but I have a question that’s been bugging me for a while that’s probably been discussed at some point.

What’s the point of Scissors? Besides being thematic to the whole Rock-Paper-Scissors thing, like in theory I could see it working as a deathblow, except A: it’s being used at 70% efficiency and B: Jajaken already lets Gon hit so far above his weight that anything hit by Rock is usually crippled to the point where it doesn’t even matter.

I figure the answer is just “Gon’s kinda dumb so he didn’t think it through so well and refine it accordingly before he lost his nen” but there’s always a chance it’s properties are elaborated on in the volume releases or something. Which, would be nice to buy, except it hasn’t been on Amazon in like a year...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Sorry to bump this again (I don’t think any of us have any real hope at this point though), but I have a question that’s been bugging me for a while that’s probably been discussed at some point.

What’s the point of Scissors? Besides being thematic to the whole Rock-Paper-Scissors thing, like in theory I could see it working as a deathblow, except A: it’s being used at 70% efficiency and B: Jajaken already lets Gon hit so far above his weight that anything hit by Rock is usually crippled to the point where it doesn’t even matter.

I figure the answer is just “Gon’s kinda dumb so he didn’t think it through so well and refine it accordingly before he lost his nen” but there’s always a chance it’s properties are elaborated on in the volume releases or something. Which, would be nice to buy, except it hasn’t been on Amazon in like a year...

Scissors exists because Gon is like 14 and based his ability around a children's game. He only really needs to use the punch portion of his hatsu and uses paper mostly against Knuckles the one time. So yes "Gon's kinda dumb so he didn't think it through so well and refine it accordingly before he lost his nen"

The properties of scissors are implied through basic transmutation, people can learn to shape their aura and applying a basic physical trait doesn't seem to be a super high level concept. Not unlike making aura hot like a sun or sticky like bum. Gon only makes his aura sharp and roughly shapes it into a wedge.

YES, I still have hope but only because I've waited longer for manga where the artist had damaged his wrist so Togashi's older age doesn't daunt me.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Scissors has more range and gives him utility/mix up like when he fought the centipede.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Last Celebration posted:

It was always in a kind of weird place. The most useful I can remember it being was against one of the ants relatively early in the arc, since the ant had a ton of arms and could block Rock as it existed at the time; Scissors let him just cleave it in half instead.

Otherwise it was probably mostly useful for making Jajaken more thematic as a whole and his affinity with it making it a more effective technique, because Nen.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Since this got bumped up, apparently HBO Max has all of the anime dubbed. I have Hulu too, where the dub awkwardly ends in the middle of York New, and the sub awkwardly ends like 3 episodes into the Chimera Ants.

I'm dropping into some of these later episodes, watching some cool moments with voices I've never heard before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
scissors and paper were pointless and weak because gon hadn't really reached the point of developing his secondary nen affinities very far. they were going to be comparable to rock at some unspecified later date after a lot of training. except then the unstable child burned himself out by going on a mission he really had no business doing. whoops!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
They mostly existed for utility, and so he could bluff opponents. He'd be a really bad matchup for someone like Welfin, for example, who was constantly overthinking every scenario.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

scissors and paper were pointless and weak because gon hadn't really reached the point of developing his secondary nen affinities very far. they were going to be comparable to rock at some unspecified later date after a lot of training. except then the unstable child burned himself out by going on a mission he really had no business doing. whoops!

To be fair the adults let him join the mission he had no business joining, and really when you think about it it was basically a suicide mission even if they didn’t say it cause how could you possibly expect Gon/Killua to actually defeat Pitou. Distract long enough to get her away from the King yeah, but probably the most surprising part of the palace invasion is how few casualties were caused, even including everyone infected by Pouf’s radioactive scales.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair the adults let him join the mission he had no business joining, and really when you think about it it was basically a suicide mission even if they didn’t say it cause how could you possibly expect Gon/Killua to actually defeat Pitou. Distract long enough to get her away from the King yeah, but probably the most surprising part of the palace invasion is how few casualties were caused, even including everyone infected by Pouf’s radioactive scales.

He is a Hunter. In that world, he is an adult.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

and as shown many times throughout the series, he’s a remarkably strong hunter. Sure, he was no match for Pitou, but none of the Hunters actually straight up won their final Ant fights.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Hello, I began watching this series earlier this week and I am here because I would like to post about it. I did not see an anime thread, and I'm not super concerned with spoilers, so I'll probably just post my thoughts here. I assume you're all a thousand arcs ahead of me, so I'm not going to spoiler anything unless someone asks me to.

I'm currently 47 episodes in and Kurapika just murdered the poo poo out of the Phantom Troupe big man. So far this series has had a strange relationship with pacing, it jumps back and forth between what felt like a million episodes of 1v1 contests in the Trap Tower to just handwaving what feels like pretty large sections of time, and boy does it not seem to have the 'killing is fundamentally wrong and bad' ideology that a lot of other shounen has. When Killua murdered the serial killer guy with a smile on his face and Gon was basically just like 'Hey, good job, you won your fight!' I was quite surprised, and also now Kurapika has become an executioner of his personal justice. Not quite sure why Leorio exists at this point. The sort of power progression has really mirrored Jojos so far. They started with basic strength, went on to learn to control life force, and now they seem to be developing what are basically stand powers. Most of the characters seem fairly competent, or at least not stupid, which is refreshing. Again, Leorio really stands out here as someone who has contributed basically nothing and often makes situations worse. If he is supposed to be comic relief, he's not especially funny, and also there was the whole thing where he sold out everyone to feel up an incarcerated girl, so, uh, he can probably go in the trash bin.

I have no idea if anyone cares to read my opinions, I know some people vicariously enjoy rewatches of other people, so I'll probably keep posting my thoughts. I assume I'm going to have to switch to the manga at some point? I don't mind and I probably will, but right now it makes for good viewing while I'm afk farming in PoE.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Is Leorio just comic relief? Yes and no. He gains a more prominent a role later on, but across the span of the anime he takes up less and less screen time as it goes. So if for whatever reason you hate him, I wouldn't worry about him being around much. He's mostly just present as an amiable side-character. Does he effectively contribute nothing to the team of four? Pretty much, if you're just looking at it from a simple power perspective - he's way weaker and probably just a drag.

However, as a dramatis persona, Leorio is very important in the beginning. His personality, i.e. rash and compassionate is a pretty important counter-balance to 2x cool and level-headed + the kinda blank slate that is Gon. He contributes very little materially, but in terms of narrative, Leorio is very arguably the principal driving character. He is the reason they have to go back in the swamp, get hosed in Trick Tower, his incompetence creates half the storyline of the 3rd exam etc. Three overpowered people cruise through the Hunter Exams does not make for a compelling or interesting narrative.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leorio's time to shine is in an upcoming arc in the manga that will almost certainly never be made.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

As far as pacing goes, up to right around where you are, the York New auction, the manga was the only version that did it right, in my opinion.

The original anime adaptation added a lot of filler, and even original characters I believe. The second anime adaptation cuts and compresses a lot of content, so when it does take a breath for an episode it feels really out of place.

And no need to switch to the manga. The anime ends at a very natural stopping point and the manga hasn't progressed much further than that point.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

somebody didn't read the op :colbert:

Bad Seafood posted:

Leorio Paradinight is the best character and doesn't get to do nearly enough like seriously for real DARK CONTINENT WHEN TOGASHI?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

boy does it not seem to have the 'killing is fundamentally wrong and bad' ideology that a lot of other shounen has. When Killua murdered the serial killer guy with a smile on his face and Gon was basically just like 'Hey, good job, you won your fight!' I was quite surprised, and also now Kurapika has become an executioner of his personal justice.

Most modern shonen tend to take cues from One Piece and Naruto and use death as a narrative device very sparingly, but HxH started in 1998, right in between those two, when characters dying in shonen was pretty much commonplace. But even then, Togashi's take on death and the morality of killing is very unique among his peers, as evidenced by things like Gon not batting an eye at his new bestie ripping a guy's heart out, or Kurapika's extremely calculated lifelong revenge quest, where he tells his first target "I can't stand this. It makes me sick," and then proceeds to continue killing him.

Leorio is best boy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

oh jay posted:

As far as pacing goes, up to right around where you are, the York New auction, the manga was the only version that did it right, in my opinion.

The original anime adaptation added a lot of filler, and even original characters I believe. The second anime adaptation cuts and compresses a lot of content, so when it does take a breath for an episode it feels really out of place.

And no need to switch to the manga. The anime ends at a very natural stopping point and the manga hasn't progressed much further than that point.

Kind of curious as to why Togashi doesn’t just either officially cancel/end the manga due to his failing health or just get someone else to help him with it (for example, he is married to Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi after all)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Because he doesn't want to?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

Because he doesn't want to?

Fair, just saying it’d probably be easier on him in his current condition but it’s his series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we haven't heard anything about his condition or plans in two years or so. i figure if togashi was going to make a statement he would have by now.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He's too busy hanging out with George RR Martin to write.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, it’s entirely possible the manga could just stop without warning and that’s that (as has been said, the anime provides a perfectly serviceable ending for the series so there’s no real need to read further if you don’t feel up to it)

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The problem with the hiatuses is that each time the series comes back it’s so loving good. This arc has entire page long text walls describing how best to prepare breakfast cereal and it manages to be the best read in Jump every time a hiatus ends. I hate that this drat boat is my favorite arc.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I watched a few more episodes, up to the point where Gon and Killua were captured by the Phantom Troupe and then escaped. I think this show is at it's best when the characters are in absolutely unwinnable situations, it does tension pretty well, especially since it seems so willing to kill people. Also not a huge fan of Kurapika's "My power is all the powers", kind of strange that the first member of the group to develop a specific power got one that both breaks all the rules and is so strangely overpowered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a wonderful, beautiful payoff for kurapika playing fast and loose with nen but it happens in the current arc of the manga, which is also unlikely to ever be completed.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Kurapika’s path to power is straight up suicidal, that’s kind of a big drawback

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The problem with the hiatuses is that each time the series comes back it’s so loving good. This arc has entire page long text walls describing how best to prepare breakfast cereal and it manages to be the best read in Jump every time a hiatus ends. I hate that this drat boat is my favorite arc.

Cereal and water is monstrous but yes, this arc is my favorite and the worst part is I re-read it a while back and figured out the answer to my big question; Who the gently caress is the silent majority user. It's so simple in hindsight it's Mushasho, the captain of the guard for Queen Swinko-Swinko[/url]. And it all makes sense when I remembered two details [spoiler]First, Woody the first victim in room 1014 was killed on the toilet, and then the same death happens to one of the guys in Kurapika's class. Second: each queen has at one spy place on them by a higher ranking queen. So suddenly it makes sense how the snakes got into room 1014 the first time, Mushasho planted Silent Majority on who is likely the spy from his group, Woody, sends both him and Silent into the room and as soon as he can he offs Woody. The reason he does this is because Silent Majority will kill him if he doesn't get at least one victim. He then goes on to target the remaining spies from the other queens and probably deactivated his ability afterwards rather than attempt to kill any of the hunters or the queen herself since they were always near her.

Later on he is invited into the room for the nen lessons and would be in the ideal position to know the names of all the maids which is something noted in the narration for the user. Plus Swinko-Swinko has one other nen user in her group and herself told her son she was working on his winning the succession war. But the name of that guard was Tuffdy, the guy that choked Prince Momoze to death although in his case he was looking for a promotion rather than sticking with a weak prince.

So years later and it all just kind of fits together and I wonder why I couldn't see it before. Likely because I was stuck on whether or not the snakes could actually travel through the vents before they drained someone dry.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Most modern shonen tend to take cues from One Piece and Naruto and use death as a narrative device very sparingly, but HxH started in 1998, right in between those two, when characters dying in shonen was pretty much commonplace. But even then, Togashi's take on death and the morality of killing is very unique among his peers, as evidenced by things like Gon not batting an eye at his new bestie ripping a guy's heart out, or Kurapika's extremely calculated lifelong revenge quest, where he tells his first target "I can't stand this. It makes me sick," and then proceeds to continue killing him.

Leorio is best boy.

Naruto is actually a lot less sparing in that regard than most shonen manga, honestly. Four major protagonist character deaths off the top of my head, plus a lot of semi-sympathetic antagonists. The nobody-dies mentality is much more present in Fairy Tail and Bleach, for example. (Though even Fairy Tail has a handful; they just get overshadowed by all the contrived death fake-outs.)

I can't think of many shonen manga quite as kill-happy as HxH, though (not counting things like Dragon Ball where there's an undo button). Maybe Twin Star Exorcists?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 15, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CubeTheory posted:

I watched a few more episodes, up to the point where Gon and Killua were captured by the Phantom Troupe and then escaped. I think this show is at it's best when the characters are in absolutely unwinnable situations, it does tension pretty well, especially since it seems so willing to kill people.

Oh ho ho, my friend. You are going to love this show by the end. (I also thought Gon + Killua vs. The Troupe was amazeballs.)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Naruto is actually a lot less sparing in that regard than most shonen manga, honestly. Four major protagonist character deaths off the top of my head, plus a lot of semi-sympathetic antagonists. The nobody-dies mentality is much more present in Fairy Tail and Bleach, for example. (Though even Fairy Tail has a handful; they just get overshadowed by all the contrived death fake-outs.)

I can't think of many shonen manga quite as kill-happy as HxH, though (not counting things like Dragon Ball where there's an undo button). Maybe Twin Star Exorcists?

Naruto definitely has some deaths, but I think it only really feels that way compared to the stuff that came during/after it. It was pretty tame by the standards of when it began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TriffTshngo posted:

Naruto definitely has some deaths, but I think it only really feels that way compared to the stuff that came during/after it. It was pretty tame by the standards of when it began.

I dropped Naruto shortly after the Rock Lee drunken fist fight vs. bone guy. And I remember a little while ago, I watched some fan content which was discussing Boruto and they offhandedly mentioned Neiji died. And I was like, "Neiji died!? And Naruto got married to best girl?! Looks like everything is coming up Hinata!"