Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i cringed when she asked for absolutely anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Alluka is good, because the entire time you're wondering how Killua is going to handle the sacrifice he'd be asked, and then it turns out that there wouldn't be one. People were so obsessed with power that they never even considered the fact that she might be able to heal something "for free" just by asking. it's all part of HxH's pleasantly amoral here be dragons setting

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hey man, Guts actually made it to the island. Anything actually can happen.
Berserk is on hiatus again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I always just assumed alluka became a girl using her hosed up nen powers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Alluka is biologically male but identifies as a girl and all her family refusing to refer to her as a girl is just to underline how poo poo they are to her and how Killua is like the coolest brother ever. I think that's the take you're supposed to get out of it anyway.

This is it; Alluka's trans and her family treating her as a thing (to the point that Silva does not care when Illumi declares his mission to kill her, despite their family rules forbidding infighting) and referring to her as "he" or even "it" is just one of the many things meant to highlight how hosed up they are and remind us that, as cool as musclebound David Bowie is, they're thoroughly awful people. Meanwhile, Killua calling her a girl like she wants demonstrates not only that he cares about her, but that he actually knows her well, whereas the others just have no idea about anything beyond some of her "rules".

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I always feel a bit of sadness for bit characters who get killed off.

Like Ponzu and Pokkle from the Chimera Ant arc. Especially Pokkle. Incredibly hosed up and brutal way to go.

Or Schwala (or whatever), the dog guy who got beheaded by Nobunaga. Especially after that dude sets a ton of death flags like "this is my last job" and "I'm gonna marry my girlfriend."

Or Bodero (or whatever), the only guy to get killed in the final part of the 287th Hunter Exam.

It's sad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Like Ponzu and Pokkle from the Chimera Ant arc. Especially Pokkle. Incredibly hosed up and brutal way to go.

Or Schwala (or whatever), the dog guy who got beheaded by Nobunaga. Especially after that dude sets a ton of death flags like "this is my last job" and "I'm gonna marry my girlfriend."

Or Bodero (or whatever), the only guy to get killed in the final part of the 287th Hunter Exam.

It's sad.

I'm still mad about Gotoh.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I'm still mad about Gotoh.

Same.

It's hosed up that Gon and Killua embarked on this adventure to save Kaito, then Gon had to be healed, then Killua saved Gon while losing Gotou along the way, then Kaito turned out to have been reborn.

So Gon got Kaito back but Killua lost Gotoh.

:(

Granted, Killua doesn't know Gotoh's gone.

But still.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

It's sad.

No one should go out the way Pokkle did. What Pitou did to him was just horrific.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know who I want to see? Hanzo.

Hanzo was legit one of my favorite characters from the Hunter Exams. Competent yet dorky.

I want to see what his nen power is. I love that bald badass.

Asuron posted:

No one should go out the way Pokkle did. What Pitou did to him was just horrific.

Yeah, I was honestly hoping he could survive but we all know that was never gonna happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The election arc made it very clear that Gon is completely his father's son. He is incredibly selfish and short-sighted at times, and can be a thoroughly terrible person. Killua had to go through so much poo poo to save Gon even though the whole mess was completely Gon's fault. Killua's upbringing was awful, but at least he learned about consequences and power while Gon really did not.

Basically, the wide-eyed naive shounen hero with a temper archetype was presented as this monstrous aberration.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I don't think Gon's evil or anything, but he doesn't really have the same moral compass as, say, Leorio, who's easily the only character you could call 'good' among the main 4.

Gon's generally nice, outgoing, and kind, and he doesn't really discriminate against people. Or, rather, against anyone. Which is what makes him so uncanny in people's eyes. Gon's less about good and evil and more about curiosity and friends. Zeppeno (or whatever the former forger's name was) pretty much noted that Gon didn't judge him for being a former crook; he just wanted to know about the cool forgery tricks. He'll go out of his way to save people, but he doesn't really judge or hate people for being murderers, unless it affects his friends. Hence he doesn't really appear to care that the Phantom Troupe are murderers beyond the superficial "murder is bad" thing, but he does get angry with them over the fact that they killed Kurapika's clan. Same goes for the Bombers in Greed Island - Genthru and his buddies killed a ton of people, but Gon doesn't really bear any enmity towards them for that, unlike Goreinu, who's flabbergasted at the thought that Gon would use a card to heal a mass murderer.

Though, granted, a lot of that has to do with the world that they live in. As Killua himself points out to Goreinu, he himself has killed a ton of people (though Killua was raised that way, and has avoided killing ever since Gon and co. helped him get away from his family). Plus, the people that Genthru killed were Hunters, and Hunters should be prepared to die in the line of duty. Though I'd argue that it still doesn't make it any better.

His selfishness and stubbornness and utter lack of fear aren't portrayed as good - his fight against Genthru makes Gon appear fuckin' terrifying. Dude loses a hand and can't even talk, but powers through all that. A normal shounen character would be seen as determined, but Gon comes off as monstrous instead.

It's a nice contrast that Gon starts out being the more humane one in comparison to Killua, but by the time the Chimera Ant arc has ended its utterly reversed.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
That's a freaking great summation of gon's quirks, good post :cheerdoge:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon isn't a monster, no. Instead, he has a whole lot of potential to be one, and he needs someone to hold him back. The problem is, he just doesn't listen when he gets to that point so he needs someone to literally, physically hold him back. That wasn't a very feasible solution even if Gon wasn't absurdly strong and getting stronger all the time. I hope that if the manga ever gets going again Gon does some serious self-reflection.

Note: This will never happen because Gon isn't present for the current arc, and at best we might get this one last arc spread out over the next decade or two.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I want to see what his nen power is. I love that bald badass.

He shows up on the boat only to die, like Pokkle.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

gently caress YOU.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

His full name is Pariston Hill and once you get what the joke with the name is you can't unsee it :twisted:

Paris Hilton immediately redeemed on account of inspiring a cool character.

Clarste posted:

No loving way. Is that what happened? It's been a helluva long time and bald ninja dude was a legit cool guy. But then again, so was Gotoh. :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Paris Hilton immediately redeemed on account of inspiring a cool character.

No loving way. Is that what happened? It's been a helluva long time and bald ninja dude was a legit cool guy. But then again, so was Gotoh. :(

Dude's joking.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah but judging from the royal family members introduced and the few tidbits we already saw I've no doubt that the Dark Continent arc would be absolutely brutal to minor characters.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Remember the nen arrow guy who got chumped hard by some scrub tier chimera ant? Lol. Rip.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

Remember the nen arrow guy who got chumped hard by some scrub tier chimera ant? Lol. Rip.

Pokkle.

We talked about him a few posts up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Weren't nen users that were eaten by the queen reincarnated as ants? Of course not all of them remembered their former lives.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

This thread is making me feel the pain. It should not have existed, so that I would not have to remember how great HxH is and how much the hiatus sucks. My pain can be mended by posting gifs of Hisoka being Hisoka.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RatHat posted:

Weren't nen users that were eaten by the queen reincarnated as ants? Of course not all of them remembered their former lives.

I want to say this only happened if their brains were intact on death but I might be making that up. Considering Kite was the last Hunter turned into an Ant by the Queen though, Pokkle ain't coming back.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, I don't think Gon's evil or anything, but he doesn't really have the same moral compass as, say, Leorio, who's easily the only character you could call 'good' among the main 4.

Gon's generally nice, outgoing, and kind, and he doesn't really discriminate against people. Or, rather, against anyone. Which is what makes him so uncanny in people's eyes. Gon's less about good and evil and more about curiosity and friends. Zeppeno (or whatever the former forger's name was) pretty much noted that Gon didn't judge him for being a former crook; he just wanted to know about the cool forgery tricks. He'll go out of his way to save people, but he doesn't really judge or hate people for being murderers, unless it affects his friends. Hence he doesn't really appear to care that the Phantom Troupe are murderers beyond the superficial "murder is bad" thing, but he does get angry with them over the fact that they killed Kurapika's clan. Same goes for the Bombers in Greed Island - Genthru and his buddies killed a ton of people, but Gon doesn't really bear any enmity towards them for that, unlike Goreinu, who's flabbergasted at the thought that Gon would use a card to heal a mass murderer.

Though, granted, a lot of that has to do with the world that they live in. As Killua himself points out to Goreinu, he himself has killed a ton of people (though Killua was raised that way, and has avoided killing ever since Gon and co. helped him get away from his family). Plus, the people that Genthru killed were Hunters, and Hunters should be prepared to die in the line of duty. Though I'd argue that it still doesn't make it any better.

His selfishness and stubbornness and utter lack of fear aren't portrayed as good - his fight against Genthru makes Gon appear fuckin' terrifying. Dude loses a hand and can't even talk, but powers through all that. A normal shounen character would be seen as determined, but Gon comes off as monstrous instead.

It's a nice contrast that Gon starts out being the more humane one in comparison to Killua, but by the time the Chimera Ant arc has ended its utterly reversed.

It's also important to remember that, after Gon saw Nobunaga's tearful reminiscence over Uvogin, he hated them more; while he could understand them being murderers (even if he didn't like it), when he saw that they were people with friends who cared about each other and were truly upset over the death of one of their own, and yet also had absolutely no remorse for inflicting that same pain many times over on other people, he was disgusted.He has some amount of morality there, and a dislike of hypocrisy it seems, but, as you've pointed out, it's somewhat warped, to say the least.

Eej posted:

I want to say this only happened if their brains were intact on death but I might be making that up. Considering Kite was the last Hunter turned into an Ant by the Queen though, Pokkle ain't coming back.

I'd say Pokkle has a chance in theory, as he could have been reborn as some ant we never saw, since the Queen did eat him, but Ponzu and a few of the other hunters got chowed down on by lesser ants, so they're gone for good.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 22, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eej posted:

Huh? Didn't Pokkle die well before Kite even got there?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh hey you're right, for some reason I remembered the order of events backwards. Okay so there might be a Pokkle ant somewhere out there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pokkle wasn't eaten, Pitou played brain surgeon with him to learn about nen.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Pokkle wasn't eaten, Pitou played brain surgeon with him to learn about nen.

Right. Then Pitou gave the body to the butcher ant, who makes humans into food for the queen. Then we get a panel or two of the Queen delighting in how good the new meat is and demanding more. Heck, the King and Guards even confirm that at some point while he was yet unborn the Queen ate a person with nen, which was probably Pokkle.

The really weird thing is Kite being reborn, since the body wasn't eaten, as we saw. Pitou made him into a puppet and that was still around well after the Queen was dead.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 22, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah, right, forgot about that.

Still doubt a Pokkle ant would be that cognizant of himself though considering Pitou still scrambled his brains.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hard to say; there isn't any consistency to who can and can't remember things from their past lives. We even have Welfin, Ikalgo, and Meleoron remembering things about other ants, who are/were unable to remember their own pasts.

Just, yeah. While I don't have any particular feelings either way regarding Pokkle's reincarnation (Ponzu's fate depresses me more; I liked her and it's a shame she went out like that), his death and subsequently being eaten by the Queen was a pivotal moment in the arc; it got the Ants playing with nen and also got them hunting people with nen for the Queen, which likely contributed significantly to Meruem's eventual power.

Edit: Tangent, but Gon's interactions with Meleoron were another pretty great look into his personality and how off he is. Also Meleoron was a cool guy and I'm glad he survived that arc.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Roland Jones posted:

The really weird thing is Kite being reborn, since the body wasn't eaten, as we saw. Pitou made him into a puppet and that was still around well after the Queen was dead.

I thought they scooped his brain out and fed it to her or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Momomo posted:

I thought they scooped his brain out and fed it to her or something.

That's the most likely thing, yeah. It's never confirmed either way, though, and you'd figure that the others would have told Gon "hey, Kite's skull is empty, he's not coming back" or something; while they treat his revival as unlikely, no one acts like it's impossible. At least, as far as I remember it; I could be wrong here. Among other things checking the wiki tells me that apparently Ging mentioned something about his ability making him hard to kill or something, which I don't quite remember the details of. I don't know.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Pokkle was fed to the queen while she was preparing to give birth to Cell. He remembers the taste of the "rare food" after he's born

edit: nevermind. i left the window open

I thought it was implied that Kite's revival had something to do with his roulette nen ability

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Speaking of Meleoron, God's Alibi and God's Accomplice are amazing superpower names. I love all the bizarre nen powers everyone comes up with (Knuckle: defeating his foes with the power of compound interest), or using fairly straightforward ones in clever ways. Like, how much mileage does Hisoka get out of friggin' Bungee Gum?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

YggiDee posted:

Speaking of Meleoron, God's Alibi and God's Accomplice are amazing superpower names. I love all the bizarre nen powers everyone comes up with (Knuckle: defeating his foes with the power of compound interest), or using fairly straightforward ones in clever ways. Like, how much mileage does Hisoka get out of friggin' Bungee Gum?

Weren't Hisoka's arms at one point severed and he just improv'd a temporary solution until Machi (I think it was her) sew his arms back on?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wark Say posted:

Weren't Hisoka's arms at one point severed and he just improv'd a temporary solution until Machi (I think it was her) sew his arms back on?

Yes. Hisoka lost an arm during Heaven's Tower, and used his Gum to stick it back on until he could get back to Machi and get it permanently reattached.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schubalts posted:

Yes. Hisoka lost an arm during Heaven's Tower, and used his Gum to stick it back on until he could get back to Machi and get it permanently reattached.

He lost both arms, actually. Deliberately, in the case of at least one of the two. That's (I assume) why Machi charged a lot more for fixing one than the other; she thought he was an rear end in a top hat showoff and that he thought she'd fix him up just because he wanted her to. That or because one was harder to reattach for some reason, but I like the idea of her punishing him for being a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The more expensive arm was probably the one that held his dominant hand.