Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like the election arc because Ging got punched in the face. Also Cheadle is a weird body mod furry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Greed Island was weird as hell because it simultaneously expanded on nen and explained that dumb card system that will never be relevant again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why the hell does Togashi have to be so good at writing manga? No one would give a gently caress if some mediocre scrub had his release schedule, but Togashi's stuff is great and I always want more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Well, Togashi presumably is allowed to have his release schedule because of how loving good he is.

Nah, he supposedly has a great contract and sj presumably knows what the hell his mysterious problem is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh, I mean, he's loving good at drawing / planning manga and the people at SJ know that, which lets him get better contracts than other authors. At least, that's how I've seen it.

I dunno the details behind his illness or whatever.

No one does, but lots of people claim otherwise anyway. Maybe he is sick, maybe he has a sick family member, maybe he is a drunk, maybe he is an enormous drama queen, maybe he is just financially secure and only works when he feels like it, etc. The reason has never been made public. All we know is that he goes on hiatus a lot, his art sometimes goes to poo poo, and he supposedly doesn't like having assistants.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The election arc made it very clear that Gon is completely his father's son. He is incredibly selfish and short-sighted at times, and can be a thoroughly terrible person. Killua had to go through so much poo poo to save Gon even though the whole mess was completely Gon's fault. Killua's upbringing was awful, but at least he learned about consequences and power while Gon really did not.

Basically, the wide-eyed naive shounen hero with a temper archetype was presented as this monstrous aberration.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon isn't a monster, no. Instead, he has a whole lot of potential to be one, and he needs someone to hold him back. The problem is, he just doesn't listen when he gets to that point so he needs someone to literally, physically hold him back. That wasn't a very feasible solution even if Gon wasn't absurdly strong and getting stronger all the time. I hope that if the manga ever gets going again Gon does some serious self-reflection.

Note: This will never happen because Gon isn't present for the current arc, and at best we might get this one last arc spread out over the next decade or two.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think Ging relies on his primary nen ability, whatever that might be. His fundamental abilities are so high that he doesn't need to. This isn't really based on any evidence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really like how Ging didn't have some epic, world-shaking reason for not being around. Generally stories where a kid goes on an adventure to meet a missing parent justify the parent's absence. But no, Ging is just a coward.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, what is the hunter's organization for if not accreditation?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The short arc after the chimera ants ended, yeah. But then over a year ago Togashi started an incredibly interesting new arc and has been on hiatus ever since.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

I'm at the end of Greed Island arc :bravo2:

Also, wtf is wrong with Ging?! Gon would be better off never meeting his father and just looking for what happened to his mother really.

Gon already has a very nice mom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Getting revenge on the ryodan is kind of pointless, as they keep replacing members. Even if Kurapika went full murder-happy instead of being all but crippled by guilt he would still be limited to killing one at a time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka would be kinda screwed against someone with the ability to see through his abilities, though. Sure, he can do a straight up fight pretty well but he relies on deception to punch above his weight class.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He likes to go "tee hee my big secret is how bungie gum works" but absolutely never reveals that he has deceitful texture.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Considering it his primary goal, you would think he has fought people stronger than him at some point. It would be pretty great if he has been trying and failing as we've seen all his life, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Killua wasn't taught nen by his family. He had to find out about it by himself. His brother with the kimono presumably learned nen at a young age. The Zoldyeaaraek family obviously sees Killua as special, so they make him do everything the hard way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It went further than a real nuke, as the poison spread from person to person. You can get radiation poisoning from someone who is sufficiently irradiated, but that second person won't be exposed enough for it to keep spreading at a lethal level.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I think that bit is probably in reference to the fear people had that radiation was contagious in that way.

Well, why shouldn't a setting that has literal magic have magic nukes?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, we could get a couple chapters this year. that would just twist the knife deeper, of course.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i never trust any unsourced claims about hxh. there are just way too many of them and they are all nonsense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

I had no idea he was that old.

Also is Leorio really an teenager? Maybe they meant he was 18-19 since technically you'd need at least 21 for medical school.

Wait does anyone go to school in their world?!

Gon, now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Alluka could do it, but they spent all of greed island finding a nen remover so why go through the extra trouble? There has been no indication that what's-his-face isn't up to the job, just that it hasn't happened yet. It took him months to get rid of the bomb on himself, and I'm sure it would take even longer for something crazy like Kurapika's chains.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kite was the closest thing to a father figure Gon ever had. He introduced him to the world beyond the island and pointed him toward a path in life. Gon was too precocious for that path, is all. His innate talent took him forward faster than he matured, so he ended up making an awful, childish choice in the middle of a complex and dangerous situation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Repentance? Nah. Gon wasn't thinking of anything but how much he wanted to kill Pitou by then. He threw away his future, friends and responsibilities, but not because he thought it would make up for not being able to save Kite. Gon got so incredibly angry that all he cared about was venting that anger, meaning it was pure self-gratification.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He had a largely non-combat power like so many other characters do. Controlling dogs like that would be a great ability for a bodyguard, as it would let him detect threats early. For actually handling those threats, he needed to rely on others. I forget if he could communicate with the dogs or just control them, though.

I'd say the precog girl is by far the weakest nen user we've seen, but no one is gonna claim that her power is useless.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Squala was just too much of a regular dude to truly master nen. Weirdness isn't linked to power levels or anything, but only weirdos get very far. A strange enough person could make a dog control nen really powerful, like with equipping them as dog armor or combining them into one really big dog or granting each dog their own unique ability, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure that just about any nen user could pass the hunter exam. Squala could use nen, so therefore he had either learned it after passing the exam or else he learned it on his own which would have let him pass anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arkeus posted:

The reason he wanted to kill him is pretty clearly 'It was my fault':

Yeah, but the conclusion he came to was to kill Pitou instead of himself. So, he obviously didn't blame himself that much!

As for nen users being able to pass the exam, even the most basic level of reinforcement would be a huge advantage. There are tests of perception, but almost all of those are backed up by physical strength requirements. Then there are the competitive parts, where having a mysterious power that others wouldn't be able to perceive at all would almost guarantee victory. Just firing some piddly little emission ball would be very effective against a regular person.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 6, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
See, the hunter's exam isn't really designed to keep nen users out. It is a method for finding exceptional individuals who can then learn nen and go on to achieve great things. If a person who got there without being a hunter wants a license why should the hunter organization mind?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it involves time travel out of nowhere

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For most people, the best option would be to dodge and not face tank hundreds of nen bullets. But yeah, enhancement dudes are all a little special in the head so that would probably be their first choice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was because of using nen? I thought it was due to guilt over killing Pakunoda. I guess you could interpret it as him being delirious and then seeing the people he killed instead of becoming delirious after killing people.

As for all the limits on Chrollo's power, that is probably the minimum he needs to make it work at all. You can't just decide "I'm gonna have a nen power that is the best ever with no drawbacks". Nen abilities get more powerful the more restrictions there are on their use. Emperor time isn't strong despite the restrictions Kurapika set, but rather because of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 8, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure that emperor time would be really strong with a less stringent rule set, but certainly not broken to the point of being able to dominate peak nen users like the spiders. With enough time spent training, sure, but the whole point is that he took a shortcut. He threw away his future potential, just in a much less dramatic way than Gon did.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Killua's ability has a huge downside in that charging your body with electricity is immensely painful. He isn't really bothered by electricity but that just means he is accustomed to the pain. Killua still feels all of it. The other limitation is of course that he needs to be around civilization to recharge quickly. Out in the wilderness, he only gets what, one shot a day?

Killua was just incredibly clever in his choice of ability, I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 8, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Any nen concept can be developed to become powerful. Even for the expressly non-combat abilities, mastering those comes with increasing their basic nen proficiency. On top of their main ability, every spider we saw fight was also a very strong enhancer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Killua was always stronger than Gon, though. He just didn't slam his face into dangerous situations as much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Uvo solved every problem with brute force. It wasn't like he was particularly stupid, but he was strong enough that brute force was enough until he met someone stronger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the long run, not having any downsides beyond it being very painful would probably limit Killua's growth. Just as well for him that there is no long run, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon found his dad and discovered that he was a huge jerk.