Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the thing about the gon turning into a super powerful dude is that togashi took the stupid "super sayjin all is lost i've been pushed past the brink time to pull a powerup out of my rear end and win the day" thing and painted it with the actual real horror, pain, and loss such a psychological break would entail

it's why gon looks ugly and bizarre and just plain wrong, because the situation is all of those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

why didnt his nails grow really long too

it's hard to make a good fist with long nails and/or togashi just didn't think of it or think it was necessary

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

gon's nen is gone so it's not exactly no consequences

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It gave the and of the arc a really very down, depressing, and inevitable feeling. It was great.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the dark continent is never ever ever ever going to happen just give up

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so will gon end up having a totally different nen specialization when this manga never ever continues?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

dad says he can probably train to get it back and, while ging is a total loving rear end in a top hat jerk, i really really doubt he's wrong about much of anything ever

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he punched ging in the face he's already achieved heights unimaginable to mere mortals

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lol, yeah, gons dad suggests gon needs to go to normal school and learn his maths

"your normal now gon, time to study for a STEM degree!"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

finally, we will learn what hunter times hunter equals

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

like yeah, that's where the name comes from, but it's not actually funny because it doesn't mean or reference or subvert or surprise in any way shape or form it's just a silly name

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i cringed when she asked for absolutely anything at all

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ging's likely got some sort of copy Nen going on, like Chrollo, only with different mechanics and restrictions.

it's too bad we'll never know for sure.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

that's just because most of the zodiacs are unfun sticks in the mud

i mean, yeah pariston and ging "hate" each other but it's a little bit more complicated than the hate the rest of the zodiacs have for ging (and pariston)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i mean, how exactly is Hisoka supposed to get off on it if he doesn't see his own death coming?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I did not feel bad for Pitou. I felt bad for Gon. Well mostly I just felt bad.

really Pouf was the only one of the bunch that I'd consider a real monster

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Pouf was the only higher ranking Ant that was totally irredeemable, but it's probably a good thing that all of them are dead. They were horribly powerful, and their burgeoning humanity doesn't really make much of a difference here. I mean, the horror that does (most of) the Ants in was a human invention after-all

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hisoka is legit likely one of the most powerful dudes in the whole series. His bungee gum seems sort of underwhelming when compared to what Chrollo's power does, but it honestly lets him cheat at the standard Nen development rules.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm actually suspicious that the deception poo poo is just something he does for fun against his lessors. And we've never seen Hisoka "punch above his weight" in the slightest, in fact he's never had a fight were he wasn't just clowning on the other person in the whole series.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

One of the key considerations with Nen powers, especially within regards to their "battle effectiveness" is flexibility vs specialization. Most simply put, how many situations the power could be useful in vs how strong that power is in specific situations. Straying too far along either axis robs a Nen user of potential. This is why "enhancement" Nen is typically regarded as the best all around battle Nen, because it's able to specialize (focus on building physical strength) without sacrificing flexibility. This is what also makes Hisoka's power sort of crazy on examination, it is absolutely a heavily specialized power, it only really does one thing well, it's just the thing it's so specialized in is literally flexibility.

loving Bungee Gum gives that sadistic rear end in a top hat an ability to mitigate, manipulate, and augment physical force to a degree beyond anything seen in this series from any other character. I mean, yeah Hisoka loves him some tricks and mindgames, but if you for a second think that the deadly "magic tricks" he loves playing on everyone is even close to the extent of what he's able to do with his power then he's fooled you too.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

which is extra fun because even we really have no drat clue what that ability is actually capable of, we just don't know any loving thing about it at all

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Even in the competition with Razor, Hisoka simply ended the whole ordeal when Gon was no longer able to carry on.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he just ended up being too strong to ever have a real fight, like saitama

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

there is zero chance that, if this series ever continues (there is zero chance that it will) that Gon will fail to get his Nen back.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

salted nuke

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I wish Togashi would just come back full time now that he doesn't have to worry about Naruto guy ripping him off anymore.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

emission makes "energy" and conjuration makes "matter", furthermore non-nen users usually cannot see emissions but usually can see conjurations

his statue is a thing of pure force

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still it's not true in all cases or Cheetu would not exist.

The guy is a conjurer after all, but held no creativity or intelligence other then a desire to run fast. If he had been enhancement like his simple and selfish personality suggests instead the guy could have been a huge threat. As his main problem as his first encounter with Morel and Knuckle pointed out was that he did not hit very hard.

Creativity and intelligence aren't really linked. It's fully possible to be creative and also dumb as a box of rocks.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

nen can do anything you want it to friend

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it only returns so it may one day, soon, leave us again

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Meruem could have well had some sort of psychometry power or ability as well

it really doesn't matter exactly how it happened, especially when it was so cool

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The Dark Continent is probably the reason why they made millions of those things.

no. they are human beings, they made them to kill each other. The manga was pretty explicit about this.

it's kind of a very important difference between "animals" (which the ants were) and "humans" (which the ants were becoming) and another very good reason the ants needed to die.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

logger posted:

The interesting thing is among the ants we were introduced to the one that stayed most ant-like was Pitou.

You think that's interesting check this out.

Every one of the revealed "dark continent" monster things either eats, parasitizes, or changes human beings in some way.

The dark continent isn't off limits because it's deadly, it's off limits because of what it's inhabitants could become as a result of interaction with humans.

This expedition is a really god damned loving bad idea holy poo poo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

You say that but I'll be the one laughing when the human world is consumed by some sort of horrible dark continent thing that now possesses human intellect.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh, they are powerful.

but without human intelligence they will remain safely far away on the dark continent forever

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

imagine if the nanikas could ask each other for wishes

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hisoka is going to win.

The real question at this point is how much of a fight will Chrollo actually give him before it's all over.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Kurapika also doesn't have any real pressing reason to go after the Spiders anymore, after all, his objective has changed from revenge to collection.

And the Spiders aren't exactly suicidal, so it's unlikely most of them would be all that willing to go after Kurapika.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the ultimate togashi thing to do here is to have chrollo go down like a chump leaving hisoka with the worst case of murder blue balls ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

togashi will die before completing the last chapter of the fight