Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I starting watching Yu Yu Hakasho and wow, he really did just copy/paste the tournament bracket from Dark Tournament into the Hunter Exams, huh. Which makes the whole “lol, you didn’t think there’d be an ACTUAL tournament arc” twist that was pretty refreshing hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Eh, I feel like Heaven's Arena did that better. Also goddammit I thought this had come back from hiatus! :cry:

Well poo poo :( I’m sorry man, I guess I should have posted in the general chat thread

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

you should always assume that it's not a new chapter

I always hope it’s a new chapter because that means Togashi is feeling better :(

Also I reread the OP and got a good chuckle out of Teddy Bomber since that flew over my head before.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So the Volume 7 Blu-ray came the other day and I cried at the end of Chimera Ant again multiple times. HxH is so good y’all. :cry: :dance:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I would kind of feel ripped off if the royal guard got real fights, the fact that Miniature Rose wasn’t specifically an anti-ant FUBAR contingency and something people made for killing other people feels pretty gross in a deliberate, brutal way, especially the end result being a LOT of people infected by Pouf’s scales.

Actually tbh poo poo ends up a lot better than I ever would have imagined, when they revealed that Meruem was dying I 100% expected that he would just die without ever meeting Komugi again, or at least only see her for a few seconds and not actually get to die together (which itself would probably be sadder if Komugi didn’t have such a sad life), or the villagers just accepting Reina, which ends up making me more emotional than what a lot of other shows would have done with a more negative endings

Also oddly poignant is the fact that Pitou actually had enough humanity to actually be honest with Gon which very much led to her death, and Pitou’s last thoughts were “thank god this crazy kid is wasting all his potential killing ME and not the King”

HxH is really good y’all, sorry to contribute to the “no chapter thread revival” to say something so obvious

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Melody is my favorite character.

She’s not my favorite but she is a very nice lady and I appreciate her keeping Kurapika from killing himself before Emperor Time got around to it first

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TowerofOil posted:

SO I finally binge watched the anime (is this just a general HxH thread?) after always seeing people talk about it. It was overall ok, as far as I'm concerned the Chimera Ant arc was far and away better than anything else and I loving cried my eyes out at episode 138? For real did not care about watching it after that, that was the ending of the anime for me. Looked up the chairmen arc and it just looked like generic boring shounen plot stuff so I passed.

Also I have no intention of starting a manga that will never be finished.

If you got through the chunk of Greed Island that wasn’t Biscuit Kruger’s School For People Who Can’t Nen Good And Want To Play Volleyball Good Too then it’s honestly puzzling if you’re not down for generic boring shonen. :v:

But yeah, I kinda feel like you’d be doing yourself a disservice by not watching the rest, the Chairman Arc is pretty great because the main “antagonist” is a smug piece of poo poo that delights in pissing everyone around him off who’s taking the generic boring shonen plot too seriously. And like someone else said, it teaches us all how to protect Alluka’s smile.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TowerofOil posted:

I seriously almost stopped watching during greed island. I did just a quick look at the chairman story and when I saw that kite was literally resurrected and gon was healed by basically a genie after the huge emotional impact of the previous arc I just wasn't interested. I'm probably just a weirdo you can yell at me for it I understand.

Also there better be an afterlife in this universe where meruem and komugi can be together.

Nah, I don’t really think you’re a weirdo, especially if you’re not watching the dub so you can’t just binge the rest in the background like i did for large chunks of Greed Island. I just feel like Gon’s resurrection largely works in the meta-context of it very much not being for Gon, it’s for the readers who stuck with Hiatus x Hiatus as long as they did, and even an asspull isn’t enough to fix Gon properly since he can’t use his Nen anymore. I guess how I’d put it is that I’d feel ripped off if he never got healed, but mostly because Killua didn’t deserve that; my sympathy for the kid who literally punches the ground out of sheer frustration that he can’t murder a blind girl in his quest for vengeance is slightly more limited.

Also I kind of felt like the Kite thing only makes Gon-san a stronger moment in practice, since it was all for nothing instead of his hosed in the head idea of redemption.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I hadn't realized from vague absorption of the scuttlebutt that Hunter X Hunter was depressing enough to off its own protagonist.

Na he ain’t dead but engaging with the world of Hunter x Hunter beyond just as a plain old civilian requires the use of Nen which is basically haki from one piece to survive. and Gon fucks up so badly that even after being revived from the brink of death he can’t use it anymore.

But more importantly HxH has been on a hiatus for about a year now while like 25-30% through the current Gon-less story arc so it’s basically a forgone conclusion that Gon’s involvement in the story is over.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I’m pretty sure the reasons the exams were an issue was because Netero, being low-key not the greatest person in the world, was A-OK with other not great people becoming hunters as long as they got through the exams, which is sort of a huge issue when terrible people like Hisoka and Illumi get licenses given they give you near impunity for murder.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kild posted:

Killua seemed very unimpressed with Hanzo.

You sure? I’m pretty sure I remember him writing out the very elaborate power level flowchart that went:
Hisoka >>>> Hanzo >>>>>>>>> Me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gon

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Why didn’t killua’s parents teach him nen again? Just to more effectively torture him?

I was under the impression that Zoldyks don’t get formally taught Nen and that Killua was supposed to learn it through initiation in Heaven’s Arena, only that Killua being the family scion backfired because he cleared the first 100 rounds as a dumb six year old who hosed off to spend his money on candy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Killua was also told not to go to the 200th floor of the arena when he was dropped off as a kid so I don't think they actually planned for him to be introduced to nen at that time in his training.

Wait, I thought his dad was super pissed at him when he left before the 200th floor because he got bored. That’s what I remember at least

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure how far the zoldyck spartan training goes. the arena baptisms carried a high risk of death and mutilation for no particular benefit, and killua wouldn't have been exempt. killua's family wants him to go through horrible physical and mental trauma, not lose a limb.

To be honest I always had the impression that the main trio of Heaven’s Arena antagonists were just scrubs who clawed their way though the arena gradually instead of blitzing that poo poo super hard like Gon and Killua did, which explains why getting hit by someone worth a poo poo caused terrible terrible injuries instead of Gon just getting a broken arm and Kastro being hale and hearty in his Hisoka rematch.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

One of us! One of us!

I hope you realise one of the hiatuses that lasted for a year was the start of the Netero Mureum fight.

Holy wow, that sounds like Just The Worst. Not even just for the fight, but thats like the 85% mark of Chimera Ant while poo poo was hitting the fan in a half dozen ways

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tunicate posted:

yeah if it weren't for political bullshit they could have just hit the queen with a cruise missile and ended the threat there

The irony/tragedy being that for how things ended up with Pouf contaminating and killing everyone that was meant to be sorted just nuking the palace before the invasion would have meant a lot less dead people. Which is probably an intentional plot point :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stuffguyman posted:

The things in Greed Island don't exist for dumb reasons like 'making sense', it's because Togashi thought it would be sweet if Gon and Killua went into a video game to win a game of dodgeball with the help of a magical clown man, and he was 10000% correct about this. If this premise does not bring a smile to your face and a boner to your heart may I suggest you are doing it ALL WRONG.

The premise does but everything that wasn’t that specific part and Biscuit and her training was a tad dull in practice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

amigolupus posted:

With all the talk of Greed Island, I just wanted to say that Ging is an absolute rear end in a top hat for putting in that restriction on Accompany that prevented Gon from finding him. Gon won Greed Island fair and square and even came up with the strategy to get to you, you prick! :argh:

I honestly love that Ging is such a lowkey socially awkward goon that he literally can’t process the idea that his son could have literally any other reason besides being too scared to face him by himself after already jumping through a dozen hoops to meet him.

Also that he immediately gets called out on it as him probably being too socially awkward to handle meeting two people too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Sorry for bumping this and tricking everyone lol, but I needed something to watch in the background so I started burning through the HxH series on netflix. The music and voices add a lot to some of these scenes but my all time favorite thing is the way the show exits out into the ED. The ED (hunt for ur dream) is awesome. All the music is actually. I also really like how silly the huntcyclopedia is with chibi Gon and Killua. Hisoka is also appropriately voice acted.

Pretty good! I'm only up to yorknew

Hunter x Hunter’s OST starts out fantastic and becomes singular by the end stretch, it’s probably one of the only anime scores where I’ve looked up just a ton of the tracks. Also the stingers get even better.

And don’t worry, it’s always nice to see a fellow HXH fan enjoying the series in a new way. Besides, we’ve all given up hope anyway! :)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah though I don't really agree with him too much. I liked most of the scenes he compared more in the 2011 version.

I think the Pokkle scene is definitely better in the old version since it draws out the tension so much better, but most of the others are kinda subjective imho

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Departure was perfect at all times.

:hai: idk how you can say it doesn’t fit Chimera Ant either, since the lyrics, you know, make sense and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, if it were any other series I would just assume Gungi was just anime gibberish that didn’t really matter because the point was for Meruem to gradually come to grips with the idea that other beings’ existence has merit, but it’s Hunter x Hunter so I have no doubt that Togashi made a new board game based on the bastard son of shogi and chess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dareon posted:

Whole lotta people in the poll that voted for the arc that doesn't actually progress the plot or advance anyone's character. At least, no one that loving survives the arc. :colbert: I do agree it's a fine display of juggling, but it's just that. It's like the loving dancestor arc in Homestuck, it just introduces a metric fuckton of characters, spends way too much time talking about them (Like that one issue/episode where we get the backstory of this crime boss who is immediately eaten), then kills most of them.

Gon and Killua each have one advancement over the course of the entire arc, and it doesn't actually change anything about either of them. Gon has a new attack that can kill him if he uses it again (and I'm sure he brought it out at least twice more in the manga since then, but since the anime ended there it was just pointless), and Killua is just... still Killua, but less likely to run away, a thing he literally hadn't done before except when encountering Wing's hostile Nen?

Gon's Dad Form is kinda cool I guess, but really it should grow all the hair on his body and his finger and toenails as well. Just an absolutely bushy boy.

Gon-san isn’t a powerup like Kaioken or Gear X, it’s an even more insane version of Kurapika’s Emperor Time that works because he imposed a fate worse than death on himself as his condition. Also because he could probably have naturally become that strong given time; Enhancers are usually too dumb to capitalize on their skillset of “make thing better” in clever ways like Palm did but if nothing else they hit good.

Also I’d argue that Chimera Ant is the most important arc for Gon because it’s such an insane (but fairly legitimate in retrospect) downward spiral, to the point where by the palace invasion he has to be talked down from being complicit in the death of (and later murdering!) a blind girl by his formerly amoral assassin best friend.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

But there are hints peppered throughout the story that Gon is different from the usual shonen protagonist, because his moral compass is kind of hosed up. Not batting an eye at the deaths of people he doesn't know, but saying he "wouldn't forgive" the Phantom Troupe for doing what they did, only to then be totally cool with the Bombers on Greed Island. He's a kid and his views are inconsistent but he's also incredibly powerful and strong-willed, and that makes him the kind of loose cannon that would do exactly what he did.

Not that your overall point isn’t good, but this part specifically is a little off. Gon is unfazed by the Troupe killing people, it’s very specifically the fact that their mass murder is a super hosed up kind of hypocrisy since they all know and understand the pain they frequently inflict on others; if they actually just did the generic “super strong group of anime guys” thing and laughed of Uvo’s death as “heh, he was the weakest of the X anyway” it would have probably not triggered him, at least not enough to overpower Nobunaga. In Greed Island he pretty much shrugs off the deaths the Bombers caused because, well, everyone signed up for a death gauntlet anyway, even if they didn’t sign up to that specific way of dying.

Something l really like about Gon as a character is how he’s often very simpleminded but not stupid in a way that often wraps around to seeing things others often miss. Even as far as the first test in the exam where they have the impossible question, he’s the one that takes it the most seriously because yeah, that is an actually might be a problem at some point. Or when he first beats Knuckle he doesn’t take the shogi piece because of pride like a normal shonen protagonist, he doesn’t take it because it defeats the whole point if they can’t beat him in a fair fight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Casual anime fan reporting in after finishing 2011 series:

- did I miss why many of the Zoldyks call Alluka he/him?
- do the bluray releases have a marathon-type option that automatically skips intros/credits/recaps?

I think all of the Zoldyk kids are biologically male, so it’s just them being shits, or honestly not even being aware that Alluka identifies as female since that would require getting to know her and not keeping her locked away in a vault. And having watched most of the series on Blu-Ray, I don’t think there’s any option to skip the opening/credits/recaps in the way you’re talking about but you can always just skip them by skipping to the next part.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
!THERE IS NOT A NEW CHAPTER OF HUNTER X HUNTER!
!THERE IS NOT A NEW CHAPTER OF HUNTER X HUNTER!

I found this sick English cover (kinda, it’s sung by the OG guy but with his band that did Hunting For Your Dream) of Departure. It only has 65k views so I don’t think it’s well seen.

https://youtu.be/RXXzjLrkrHQ

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
hosed up that your significant other is trying to force you into the arms of a better man, but I don’t judge.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

To me Chimera is the most iconic arc but Yorknew is my fav. The Phantom Troupe is so ridic out of Gon & Co's league but Kurapika's cheat (which is specific to his character and backstory!) leads to tons of bluffing and reversal that layers suspense over every encounter.

Like with Chimera I was afraid of the bad guys because they were just horrific. It was more like watching a slasher film sometimes. With Yorknew it was like watching underdogs navigate a conflict except you keep getting these little peeks into the bad guys that tells you the heroes are in more danger than they realize.

Chimera Ant is fascinating because it’s like watching a slow moving train wreck, the ants are dangerous monsters initially but they’re monsters in a very literal sense, they treat the killing of humans in an almost robotic way. Then they get names. Then they start liking killing humans in an almost cartoonishly evil way, that only started because they assimilated more lovely humans. And THEN they learn Nen, shortly before disbanding and wreaking massive havoc across the continent. It’s honestly pretty shocking how bad things get in that arc for a series with no full heals like Dragonball.

One of the things I most appreciate is how gradual their evolution is in terms of self-awareness, which is something a lot of writers would have neglected.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ngl I feel like the Gyro flashback is peak Hunter x Hunter in terms of absurd self-indulgence (that, to clarify, I am all about) but having a whole rear end flashback for Netero going loving batshit and learning how to move at the speed of sound because he pray-punched hard/long enough that was purely coincidental is a good pick

...how old is Netero, anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf I went into Hunter x Hunter knowing Chimera Ant was A Thing and was also super ill-prepared to expect not-Perfect Cell/Evil Saitama playing not-shogi with a blind girl to be the most compelling part of the series’ 148 episode run.

Lol that your s/o recced HxH at a palette cleanser anime tho, like it’s one of my favorite forms of televised media ever but I’d just tell someone to watch the magic pirate cartoon until the filler becomes unbearable, cause even early as the Hunter exam it’s obvious how horribly unstable Gon is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Really as far as I’m concerned we had the one loose end that needed to be tied up addressed making Hisoka eat poo poo in a frankly pretty hilarious manner for cathartic value after how Gotou got did dirty so I’m forced to conclude that Hunter x Hunter is the perfect series.

Aside from how boring the not-training parts of Greed Island are. And not gonna lie, some of Chimera Ant do be dragging a tad. And how in retrospect how obvious it is that Togashi just kind of lowkey wrote his main character’s super useful weapon out of the series to nerf him...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a fishing rod would be a pretty poor choice to enhance, now that i think about it. for it to work on anyone better than the spinning top scrub, he'd need to coat the entire string in aura. it would be different if it was a conjuration, or many strings. but again, gon's an enhancer so he would have to expend all his aura capacity on protecting a fishing line because it would become useless as soon as the weight and hook at the end were removed.

the only way it would make sense is if gon dedicated his nen to actual fishing.

I kinda assumed he was already using his aura on the fishing rod way back in Heavens Arena since otherwise the lure would break or at least warp when trying to upend tiles, however physically strong Gon himself had become at that point. I could be wrong though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

He's admitted on several occasions that 2011 is good in its own right so it's not like he uniformly trashes it or anything, if that's what you were thinking. Having watched through a chunk of 1999 myself a few months ago (stopped right before Yorknew 'cause I'd just gone through it again in 2011 recently before that and needed a break from spider drama) I actually liked it more than I thought I would. The muddy color palette a lot of it uses, the boring/kind of nonsensical filler, and the clear and repeated evidence that whoever was directing the show just did not "get" what Togashi was going for in a lot of cases, are all knocks against it, but when it does things well I was surprised at how well it did them. Of course it also does things like cut the entire Hisoka vs Kastro fight, which is some hot irredeemable garbage.

Wait, what the gently caress? How does your adaptation have filler but exclude the fight that explains why everyone doesn’t just make their nen ability the most overpowered poo poo they can think of?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I got pretty hype for a second before realizing, oh, yeah, Gon and Killua haven’t shown up since the chapters where the anime ends and tempered my expectations accordingly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

13 sentinels is also extremely good.

like Leorio and unlike Kurapika

:hai:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf while I’ve always been ambivalent towards the concept of Hisoka v Chrollo I’m really glad it happened after the election arc cause it makes Gotoh getting done dirty easier to swallow when you know Hisoka gets hosed aaaallllll the way up later.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Given the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably bring Chrollo vs Hisoka forward to before THE BOAT, have Hisoka straight up die in that fight and finish the series where the anime ends.

Feels somewhat fitting thematically for HxH too. This is largely a series where people's goals/ambitions and dreams aren't fulfilled, or if they are, they're not all that and Hisoka getting what he wants but just getting owned would be like "yeah, that's HxH for you".

The boat is shaping up interesting, but it's hard to feel like it'll ever get finished and is pretty superfluous to the existing parts of HxH prior.

Idk, it’s probably a better written story that way but Hisoka getting owned cause of a fight he wanted so badly he missed loving Chimera Ant got it isn’t quite complete without him looking hosed all the way up in the aftermath and going on a petulant rampage because one of his toys was done playing around with him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wanna say I’m shocked or whatever but nah, people have shut takes sometimes, I’ve heard people say that Chimera Ant was boring/overrated cause it spent too much time away from Gon/Killua and I don’t wanna tell people they watched/read a children’s cartoon/comic book wrong, but...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Broadly speaking I don’t think HxH is meant to be a deconstruction of shonen so much as it’s meant to be a story where everything that happens makes sense and that’s the end result, but Gon-san is definitely a deconstruction of the idea of spontaneously evolving to kill someone using the power of rage and grief and how well that should end up working out for the MC in practice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Idk her headless body freaking out like a twitching insect was freaky as poo poo. That whole sequence was hard to watch.

It’s not really as bad as the rampant child murder but I don’t really think Gon vs Pitou isn’t meant to be comfortable to watch cause it’s a hosed up unnatural transformation and basically not even a fight, it’s a massacre, cause if Gon had been trying to finish her and not exact some hosed up catharsis revenge atonement he would have just cut her head off and been done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry to bump this again (I don’t think any of us have any real hope at this point though), but I have a question that’s been bugging me for a while that’s probably been discussed at some point.

What’s the point of Scissors? Besides being thematic to the whole Rock-Paper-Scissors thing, like in theory I could see it working as a deathblow, except A: it’s being used at 70% efficiency and B: Jajaken already lets Gon hit so far above his weight that anything hit by Rock is usually crippled to the point where it doesn’t even matter.

I figure the answer is just “Gon’s kinda dumb so he didn’t think it through so well and refine it accordingly before he lost his nen” but there’s always a chance it’s properties are elaborated on in the volume releases or something. Which, would be nice to buy, except it hasn’t been on Amazon in like a year...