Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

All of the Princes are going to get Nen Beasts as Guardians by putting their blood in that pot. It's possible Woble could get a very strong or useful in other ways Nen Beast.

In fact I think that is going to be the twist, the nen beasts... Sorry, the stands will change all their plans as some of the "weak" princes will get strong ones so they will abandon the original plan and will try to win for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

No I mean is it weekly, every other, or monthly.

It's published on Shonen Jump so weekly. *In theory*, you know.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Fake edit: netero backstory

One of my favorite scenes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If there is something OP in nen, it's combining abilities. Think their original tactic in CA arc, Melereon's invisibility + Knuckle's nen sealing. So the ability of both stealing several developed nen skills and using two of them can be devastating.

Still, I trust in Hisoka sheer genius.He isn't fazed at all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TWIST FIST posted:

Yeah but people can still see that using Gyo, I think.

If this was a pen & paper rpg, one player would have to roll Gyo against the opponent's roll In. Whoever is stronger, the nen is revealed or stays hidden.

Nen combat isn't only which skill (hatsu) is better, you are supposed to use gyo/in/kou/ryu a dozen of times (more?) in just a few seconds in a fight. if you are better at the normal aura manipulation techniques because you are genius like Hisoka or Ging, you will have an advantage. Hisoka showed a great in on Kastro's fight and in/zetsu in the fight against Goth.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

chrollo can put seals on anything and they last until they explode. he can control a large number of puppets made from copying corpses. the entire audience is absolutely full of seals and copy puppets, but some of the seals are probably on regular members of the audience that he can control using black voice while remaining disguised.

Yep. He plans to hide in the audience while he can fight by proxy through bombs, puppets and controlled people. Truly evil.
And somehow Hisoka will show he is also a psychopath and just will kill everyone at distance to clear up Chrollo's cover, and gently caress the police. I imagine something like a mix bungee gum and his cards, with the cards all bouncing up and cutting everyone.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Calling it now - the lion guy didn't die, he actually used the faceswap power and traded places with chrollo

Wait, now you mention it... maybe this fight will end with Hisoka believing he won but the real Chrollo (with another face) escapes with the rest of public.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Machi knew that texture surprise exists, but I kind of doubt that she knows all it is capable of. I think this was explained during the scene with the falsified prophecy? I'll look it up later. Heck, we probably don't know all it can do either.

For bungee gum, just knowing how it works isn't enough to trivialize it. Hisoka can use misdirection to apply it or he can just touch someone. I think he can also transfer it if someone touches something it is attached to. Blocking doesn't work, so his opponents have to dodge everything. Hisoka loves to use deception, but he was never completely dependent on it.

From what I remember, most of the spider doesn't know about texture surprise, only Machi knew. BUT, Hisoka implied Machi believes she knows texture surprise but in truth Hisoka has hidden from her the real capabilities. She doesn't know how flexible is the ability, allowing to imitate much more textures, nor she knows how detailed can be, allowing to for example "write" on top of a screen or a piece of paper making a perfect forgery document.

About bungee gum, not only he can use it touching someone, he can "throw" a sticky gum to someone, a bit like an Emission user. Remember he did it with Gon in their fight, there was a moment where he was talking and pointed to him, in that moment he sticked his nen to Gon's cheek, because Gon wasn't using constant gyo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He only ever seems to do that when his opponent is distracted. Since he always hides that attack with in or deception I'm guessing it would be easily dodged if someone saw it coming.

Yeah, it worked with Gon because he was an amateur that didn't use gyo. But still, the possibility of stretching his aura in several threads/tendrils/whatever exists, I just wanted to point out that he has more options that getting close to his targets or throwing a real life object.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Crain posted:

I fully support beating Chrollo in the head with a head.

I suspect the second one was hidden with texture surprise.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's too son for Hisoka to win, at least there will be an use of Sun & Moon or at least attempt. Also the comment of the first page of "what happened with the needed?" could be a clue of a not told power that it will be important in the end.

Tonfa posted:

Is there anything that would have prevented Chrollo from needling Hisoka during that chapter?

Limit of stolen abilities. He got hits because he is using already 2 abilities, he can't use a third one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

The Spiders will most likely try to take out Kurapika at some point in the future, they're just waiting for the right opportunity.

Likewise, I don't think Kurapika's forgotten his anger. He's just reordered his priorities.

I think there was a line at some moment implying they were waiting for Chrollo to return back before making a move against Kurapica. As a minimum, I don't think the samurai guy (god I don't remember the name now) has forgotten Uvo's death. He wanted revenge.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It needs to touch another seal to work, so I dunno how he made it explode when Hisoka was holding it.

Oh, that's the question.

We can imagine there was one symbol on the head from the start, or maybe when Hisoka used it to hit Chrollo he put the mark in that moment. But what it seems it happened was the second mark had been placed in Hisoka's palm (who knows how) and when he caught the head again both seals touched and baam! But... how it didn't explode before?
I suspect there is another hatsu in play, maybe some kind of invisible film that went over the head, so there was no true contact between Hisoka's skin and the head's skin with the seal. When Chrollo gave the order, the film disappeared and in the next time hand and head touched the explosion occurred.
But for this theory I need both a new nen ability and Chrollo somehow putting a seal on Hisoka without him noticing.

An alternative explanation could be that we still were missing more information, and there are more hidden rules. Maybe the body from which the head belonged was blown up and that provokes others seals in the same body to explode, even when the part are separated, so Chrollo could make one of the puppets to activate the seals of the headless body in the ground and somehow that would also activate the seal in the head without touching it.
I think this has more chances. The key moment could be when Chrollo's gives someone an order saying "yes, like that, crouch down. now". That could be someone controlled by Black Voice activating a seal in the abandoned body in the floor.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hisoka made a note of how strange was the audience, not running away. I wonder if Chrollo used some other nen ability with suggestion powers.

Edit :hell, there is a point where he calculates there should be less puppets left than estimated, just 20-30, and then the commenter girl says how 100-200 are attacking. So I wonder if Chrollo just started marking people and using clones hours before in the audience.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 27, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Woah this is bad for Hisoka. He keeps losing more and more, and it isn't like he is doing mindgames, the chapter is from his perspective and we don't have evidence he is secretly planning a hidden strategy. He wanted to retreat using the ceiling and he couldn't.

Hell, the only part where I still see a sliver for hope for him is the fact that the fight was so one-sided in favor of Chrollo. If they had been more in equal, and then finally Chrollo got the best of him, then ok, Hisoka dies. But it is so suspicious when it has been done like this. Hell my prediction of Hisoka using texture surprise in a important way still hasn't been successful, which similarly, it's suspicious.

About the nen remover, I also thought at first the nen beast would have to be with the 'victim' of the removed Nen, Chrollo in this case, but I suppose it stayed with the Nen remover. I don't think the nen beast has be neutered with a Chrollo's ability, the beast is supposed to be more like a nen condition: to disappear only when the nen is nullified.

I also misunderstood how Sun & Moon worked. So the signs aren't the ones that explore, the entire body marked by the sign blows up, even separate parts. That's so OP.

You know, I'm starting to appreciate how smart has been Chrollo explaining his abilities at the start of the fight. At first it seemed so dumb we believed maybe it was a nen condition, but the fact he told what he told made him have control of how the fight occurred. First, there were some half-truths and some "omissions" so he truly didn't gave all the information, but in between truth and truth the missing parts were harder to see, and second feeding that information to Hisoka made him predictable. Chrollo predicted Hisoka's tactics because he know what he would do knowing A, B and C powers. For example, it was normal for Hisoka to remove heads from the puppets because it's the only way to stop them, and once they are removed, and because he has to be careful with nearby puppets that can explode, it also could be predicted for the heads to be used as projectile. So it seems Hisoka's played in Chrollo's hand.

In summary, this fight gives me the feeling of what happened was Hisoka went to a duel, and Chrollo doesn't, Chrollo went to kill Hisoka with whatever method is best as otherwise he won't stop trying kill him. And that includes planting a pair of hundreds puppets with charged up sun and moon symbols in the audience and even nearby areas.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Disharmony posted:

Kurapika told Killua back in the GI arc that he would've known if someone attempted to or was successful in removing his Nen.

Yeah the part where the the nen isn't removed but more like displaced and transformed into the nen beast is a boon for Chrollo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I still wanna see what Abengane looks like right now after this fight is over.

A theory I had this morning about him and the nen beast. Maybe you can just kill the beast, and that's what Chrollo did. It's just that he didn't want to do that, he seemed to be a "nature" hunter, doing some kind of shaman ritual with the doll made of vines and all that, so he was against violent agaisnt beasts, even summoned ones.

drat my theory sounds dumber once I've written it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Otakufag posted:

Why does everyone here hate Chrollo so much? I think he's a lot more interesting than Hisoka who always pulls wins out of his rear end with the power of rubber and gum.

It's interesting to see him win with just 2-3 basic powers used in creative ways. Chrollo is just "I have three dozen powers and can use 5 at the same time. Bad luck".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

When I read the manga from the start many years ago and when the Ant arc started, I totally had forgotten who the hell was Kaito. That's how important he was.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think the most important thing to take from this chapter is... the fact that Hisoka is crazy. We may have forgotten that, as he has appeared in lots of arcs, some times as ally, where he has been "reduced" to someone who happens to love to fight strong opponents. No, no, he always was nuts, as this chapter remind us with who we are dealing. He is the Joker of HxH.

What he does when he resurrects? He laughs and say "oops fighting Chrollo in those conditions was a bit too much ♣. Reality sure how to give you a wake up call! ♥". He was close of saying "me so baka! >_<"
He is offered help to heal his wounds and disfigured face and he chooses to be a zombie like mesh of nen and flesh for life. And then he goes out prancing and happy as if nothing happened.

Did Chrollo have help form the RG members in the fight? I opt over the "yes" side. There are clues like that panel with Hisoka's comment of the fishing line (when the Black Voice's antenna mysteriously disappear). The fight ended and that little mystery seemed to amount to nothing, but this chapter reminded me of a nen user specialized in similar "fishing lines" threads, Machi! What was the point of that panel, if not to give a clue of what was really happening? Narratively speaking, it served no other purpose. The other point that seemed suspect is when Hisoka (which despite losing this fight clearly he is around Chrollo's level) estimated 30 more clones, and then 200 attack them. If Korotopi was doing clones and Chrollo just using the stamp and seals he would produces the clones much faster than acting alone.
Finally, the three RG members were in the building as they quickly recovered the body to be sure he was dead.

Obviously the fact Hisoka's crazy gambit worked is... Togashi. To make it work, it was needed that his body wasn't very damaged (he really die by suffocation), and then Machi happens to join head and neck, and for his nen after death work, and then Togashi played loose with things like brain's oxygen deprivation. It feels a bill bullshit, and mainly because nen is supposed to survive after death in rare cases, usually associated with great grudges (a bit like the idea in fiction that spirits staying on the world after death if there is a big grudge still pending). It didn't feel like Hisoka has a great grudge, he was more "oh well I'm going to try this..."

I wonder if, given how nen conditions/pledges work, Hisoka has received a boost because he limited himself to not fix his hand and foot and not look for help, so the nen used to replace them is stronger than normal.

About if Hisoka killed the spider members because they didn't have powers in that moment, we don't know. Chrollo may had returned them back, releasing them from the book, but in Shalnark's case the phone is physical object so that's why Chrollo asked if he wanted it now. I think the main cause Hisoka had an easy time with them was the pure surprise factor (combined with the fact they didn't know Hisoka's new plan). If you aren't someone like a strong enhancer, who gets to give the first hist is very important.

edit: Oh yeah I also think Togashi reads Dorohedoro. That had to be an homage.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 11, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

4th Prince Tserriednich, Mother Unma (Shared with Benjamin.)

I approve the hair's change.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kurapica bothers me because Togashi did her powers when he still was developing nen and he didn't have a clear idea of how powerful is the average nen user, or how many powers they have, or how much time they need to reach a peak level. He went totally over what was established later.
And in addition, as if that wasn't enough, he is 'Batman' in planning and observation skills. Look as the lesson he gave the freaking Zodiacs at the moment he met with them about how to do things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Kurapica bothers me because Togashi did her powers

Lol. I didn't do that on purpose.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was gonna say that real spiders are in for life, but then I remembered Kalluto. He certainly doesn't think that he is gonna be a member for the rest of his life, though that may be the case if Hisoka kills him.

I always had the impression Kalluto was kind of... leased by her family to the spiders because they needed to find a nen remover.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LolitaSama posted:

Unless Im mistaken, Kurapika's nen only works on spiders. What if the spiders left the clan or removed their tattoos?

You are mistaken, only the restraint power (obliges zetsu condition) and judgement chain are spiders exclusive. He can use dousing chain on anyone, and he can use the chain to attack and defend normally.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, you're right. Interesting; Kurapika thought she'd be picking people based on looks, but this isn't quite what I was expecting from that. Also, poor Fugetsu; her sister is awful.

Hah hah, yeah, "based on looks" was in the end about unique-looking people, to be kind.

utamaru posted:

Well, that close-up of the cruise ship top floor really lets me appreciate the complete stupidity that is this whaleboat.

Big continent, big boat!

We don't know how intelligent nen beasts are. If Woble's nen beast also has the mind of an infant, then killing nearby people who are not Woble's mother would make sense. If it is smart enough to understand what bodyguards are, then it would only kill them if it somehow knew they were traitors. I don't think anyone would bother to place traitors in his bodyguard detail, though. None of the other princes are worried about being killed by an infant.

But goddamn, not even the hunter organization knows about the succession war? Between the spiders and their stalker, the regular hunters, the zodiacs, Kurapika's crew, the princes, Beyond's crew and the nen beasts there are probably a hundred different players involved with this scenario and very few of them are playing the same games.

If it's Woble's beast.. my current theory it's working like baby, with a main directive of feeding itself as much as he can and gain more and more power.

EmmyOk posted:

A more immediate fun pool for now could be what prince people think is going down first. We might even get an answer before hiatus.

Speaking of hiatus... this is the 10th chapter in a row since the publication. Not only that, the drawing is still on point, other times where Togashi did 10-chapters runs, the drawing deteriorated again in the last two, bu he still going strong. And even more, we had several chapters which were hard to draw, full of splash double pages, full of detailed crowds, dozens of characters moving around, complex action, etc. It's promising.

Roger Craig posted:

I bet Woble's nen beast is feeding on people to get stronger
Also the head undersecretary (only guy who knows previous research from the dark continent) is going to die very soon with that foreshadowing

Damnit, you were faster than me. See above.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They're the two lead protagonists of the manga, which is a pretty good reason for them to be in any given arc.

Still, the two lead protagonists haven't appeared (or even being mentioned) for the last 19 chapters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Togashi and Araki stand atop the fighting shounen world.

Nobody else can touch them.

Togashi's secret is that Hunter x Hunter is barely a "shounen battle" manga. Count the chapters with battles and count the chapter without battles. I think the ratio is around 1:4 in favor of the latter ones. A good 80% is a thinking manga with mystery, suspense, adventure, drama, etc.
Compare with Bleach or Naruto or One Piece, they fall back to their default stance: fight after fight, so much.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Law Cheetah posted:

i thought that "selfless wishes are free" was just killua's cover story for the fact that he's able to ask for anything he wants

I think it's much more simple, Alluka-Ai actually likes Killua, that's why her wishes are "free" for him. It could be selfish and the same would happen. Hell, maybe she could give free wishes to more people, if she would have been alienated by the whole family.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

The biggest question about these murders is "why did none of the nen users get targeted?". All the guards that were killed were presumably normal people and all the hunters are not being corralled by Kurapika. It makes some sense if the Nen creature is the one consuming them and it's smart enough to notice that people with a stronger aura aren't viable targets at the moment.

Maybe it's just statistics: most guards are just normal people, bodyguards, guns for hire, etc, only a few will be hunters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mabels big day posted:

I don't really remember that part very well. Whenever they go into details of explaining nen I don't pay much attention to it

Heresy!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Still better release pace than Song of Ice and Fire!

I'm hoping for a 8 month hiatus.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Asuron posted:

Goddamit why'd you have to remind me of how long the last bloody hiatus was.

I mean we got Hisoka vs Chrollo out of this, but we're never gonna see the Dark Continent arc finished in this lifetime are we?

I think the boat is going to be a proper Arc, with Kurapica vs Prince Bateman and Kurapica vs Spiders, and prince vs prince, and Hisoka vs Spiders if he is in the boat too. That's enough a a few volumes story.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

I meant "parasitic" in terms of "things that could suck (massive amounts of) blood from their victims", the way we've seen what's probably its previous victims be killed. I didn't mean in the way of the "parasite" nen beasts all these things are. Forgot that that term was already being thrown around in the chapter and used it without clarification, whoops.

Though looking again, I slightly misjudged their appearance. Now I think those things might be someone else's too now. Hm.

I think they are of the parasite type to explain how the nen beasts can exist being autonomous and the corresponding nen user is not aware of them nor have created it or control it. The beast acts alone while is powered with the nen of his user without knowing it.

It will be interesting if Bateman-prince and Lion-prince will learn voluntary nen use and from there gain some control on their beasts.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Begemot posted:

Ah yeah, that makes sense.

Also that article is pretty interesting and does explain why they keep using the worm toxin analogy. It doesn't just make a poison, creates an evil spirit that will go kill a person specifically to improve the life of the poisoner. These nen beasts are a very specific reference to ancient Chinese sorcery.

Yep, that was very interesting. Not only is Gu in the literal sense (the boat is the closed container, each prince is a poisonous animal, only one can survive), but the themes of sorcery and the association with spirit beasts are very appropriate.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think people usually compare Togashi with other mangakas that do weekly mangas, and that's a bit unfair.

First, other authors have a much better release schedule, but they don't do it having a normal 40 hour week. Instead they have this

Look at that. gently caress that.

Why would anyone consider normal mangaka conditions as a thing to aspire to? They work 11 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Togashi is rich, have a wife and two kids. He has been successful enough to negotiate better conditions. Leave the equivalent of near slavery to young, bachelor aspiring mangakas who don't know any better.

Second, he is better than most authors in the genre. And not only slightly better, he is head and shoulders above everyone else in the same magazine. So maybe not producing manga as if they were frigging sausages in a sausage factory have something to do with it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 2, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kyte posted:

Also you're fanboying too hard. Togashi is great, but he is not "heads and shoulders about everyone else in the same magazine". Not this generation, at least.

Nah, I stand by my words. No fanboying.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kyte posted:

Guys he's not working for free. He has a contract, he literally gets paid to draw things. That's his job. Don't treat it like he's putting out a free webcomic.

Yes. And in his line of work (published author) he only gets paid when he publishes something. He isn't like you (assumption here) or me with monthly wages.

He only publishes a volume in a year and a half, instead of three volumes, he has three times less income.

So... I don't think anyone have problems with the economic issue?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

So this is only hearsay, can't find a source, but allegedly Hunter x Hunter will be returning to Shounen Jump in September. Seems like the new format's gonna be a slew of chapters followed by a short break, then rinse and repeat forever.

What we do know is VIZ finally has a release date for vol. 33 and it's in March of next year for some reason.

'This is only hearsay, can't even find a source' seems very weak to me as evidence, I hope it's a smoke screen for your sekret contacts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dr Blythe is Specialization. Her other two powers are both Conjuration and Manipulation (Specialists are pretty much the only ones who can make these two types work together.)

Dr Bythe isn't Specizalition. Pitou is. And she is it mainly because of her powers to revive people, or to extract information of their corpses. In addition to that she also has healing powers like Dr. Blyther (reinforcement) and Terpsichora (which seems Manipulation, of herself, more Reinforcement).