Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also ineffectually brandished a switchblade sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus this is still a manga so you get as powerful as the story needs you in however long the story requires.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I want to be the coolest hunter Morel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Which is funny as Hisoka is the most DBZ villain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The King also has a heel turn but really not like three times.

Pouf falls for it every time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Plus I think it's mentioned that the hunter exams were notoriously loose mainly because of the previous chairman.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem is the powers are unique so stealing powers is just boring outside of a one off fight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What nen is is kind of poorly defined. Sometimes it's a manifestation of abilities or defenses and sometimes it's just DBZ power levels.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also for why he was able to directly interact with him post Kuripica.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kite plays no real role until the Chimera Arc. I mean he tells him info that he doesn't need and already knows in the anime.

I like Kite but that scene isn't why

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Asuron posted:

Neither does Shank in One Piece other than inspiring Luffy and that's all you know about him for ages. You could make the same argument that you could skip it because the character could already have known about the One Piece, but then Luffys motivations and actions throughout the story wouldn't make any sense at all.

The same thing applies here, by removing that scene , you're removing a huge part of the character that not only informs his decision to do what he does at the beginning, but also makes the level of his fury at losing Kite later on hard to understand. The relationship is not the same, so the level of Gons emotional attachment doesn't make sense.

Gon doesn't need to be inspired, he wants to find his dad so he follows his footsteps. That is all you need. Plus let's be real,while I do like Gons freakout scenehis weird attachment is forced as gently caress. In the Manga and anime

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well either way you feel about the addition of that scene doesn't change that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gon ain't done he is gonna finish off the zombie murder clown.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

To be fair, Verbose is HxH's aesthetic.

It is very tell then show yeah. Though that makes bad translation even worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well we are going to see the protagonists again and I wouldn't doubt they get to the dark continent at some point for whatever reason. Probably tying into how Gon gets his nen back. Which is gonna happen one way or another.

Also the arc thing is weird as it was just motivation to get him started not actually an ending. Same thing for Kuripaka. Whose arc also ended but he is back.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 24, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

We all knew that Hunter and Berserk can not run at the same time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Silento posted:

Agreed. I guess it would be better if the titular card game in Togashi's theoretical manga didn't get made into a real life card game, but lol tie-ins.

I don't know making into an actual card game forced the yu gi oh manga to have actual rules rather than poo poo happening randomly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

you mean you can't shoot the moon and gently caress up high tide?

You can't attack magic cards until you could. The duel with the darkness guy was the best example of what the gently caress is going on though.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 17, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you ignore him, he will stop.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The best part is this wouldn't have happened had he not moved his monsters forward, which he didn't need to as distance didn't matter for attacks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He isn't that emotional? I mean Gon is a loving train wreck on that front.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I didn't know ONE did work on hunter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Youpi becoming so mad and so crazy he crosses over into a sort of rage nirvana gotta be the best moment for me.
And knuckle subsequently almost dying and having a death monologue in his head

I like how at one point Youpi is like " I respect these guys and enjoy fighting them" then like three different interferences later he goes "no gently caress these guys I'm gonna kill them all.".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's not like it's that necessary anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It turns out he has no power but he is really good at bluffing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Killua isn't Vegeta.

He is a good boy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He does it for you.

Because he is a considerate boy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean we know you think that, it was never in doubt. Now whether it actually happened is another matter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair the Chimera ant Arc is very power levels.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like how during the fight there was a smaller fight where they try and out condescend each other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

well she was treacherous. not like my boy youpi

Youpi was not ready for what happened that day, not at all.

Though watching him go from "I respect these humans and will give them a good fight" to "nevermind gently caress these assholes I will kill them all." Was great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I like him when he's being melodramatic

So always huh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sea Sponge Run posted:

the only good part
of the chimera ant arc

Um what about the king and chairman competition to be the most passive aggressive rear end in a top hat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The whole X-men doesn't work as some are legit threat is one of the dumbest ideas that comic book fans have convinced themselves is clever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Yea I started re reading after the last hiatus, currently on Chimera arc and the art is sketchy rough drafts half the time. Made me think of how much cooler these scenes were in the anime (particularly Knov's infiltration).

Yeah if you want Hunter your better off with the anime as it’s extremely faithful to the manga but looks good and not like rear end.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The anime has the issue that some of the exposition, especially in the Chimera Ant Arc, can get a bit long winded. Tells you stuff you can figure out on your own, and being animated makes it feel weirder as they need still shots to hold space while they convey that info. Though it’s really pretty and goes all out in the scenes it needs to, especially in regards to Gon and the Ant King fight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The only one I don’t care for is Wolfen because his gets introduced so late it feels weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I personally don’t think it matters either way. Introduce him in the beginning or the Ant, doesn’t matter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t mind the secretary because his was short but considering the roll Wolfen plays in the plot he should probably be more important than he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He isn’t forgotten he is just probably going to figure into it later. As I think Hunter is basically planned out for the most part.

Granted he will never get there but that doesn’t mean there isn’t real!