Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

klapman posted:

Yorknew City is the best arc, and the Chimera Ants dragged on too long. Hisoka v Chrollo is the best fight.
[DISAGREEMENT BOX] The Chimera Arc was actually just about the right length, but was super hosed over because it was when the hiatuses went from 'bad' to 'really loving bad' so that leaves the impression it lasted too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I made a thread every time it looked like it was serious about the end of hiatuses, so three I think: Two during the Chimera Ant arc, then another when it ended and the Hunter Elections arc started up and we got like two months of uninterrupted HxH. Every time I was betrayed so someone else had to make the one for the two months of Dark Continent content we got. :v:

Jostiband posted:

While coming out over the course of 8 years has certainly soured people on it a lot (how many threads did you end up making for it?), Chimera Ant itself has some issues with inconsistent pacing even when marathoned over a short duration.
That said, the way the narrative juggles and resolves a shitload of very tightly connected character arcs and about half a dozen thematic arcs without somehow disastrously exploding due to its own momentum means it is in fact the best arc despite what all the unfortunate misclicking in the poll would have you believe. :colbert:
Chimera Ant might be my favourite arc of any young-adult comic. I know other stories that were as complex or more complex and still managed to pull it out in the end (Light vs L before Death Note fell apart in act two, Hickman's work on Avengers/Fantastic Four even if Secret Wars still has to stick the landing) but none so naturally, or that introduced so many characters and not a single one felt extraneous or useless. I don't remember the minor pacing issues (SOUNDS LIKE A PERFECT EXCUSE TO RE-READ IT) but I remember a whole shitload of character moments and action beats that were just fantastic.

Dark Continent was set up to be loving incredible with master troll Ging actually no-poo poo doing stuff, and Kurapika and Leorio back, and Pariston and Cheadle loving around, and Beyond and his group, and the bunch of royal family psychos, and fffffuuuucccccckkkkkkk

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think Pitou works best as female because the three royal guard all saw the King in different ways and Pitou's seemed to be more a more maternal figure than the other two.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

i think the magic of hxh for me is how it takes completely ridiculous things seriously and treats them with a lot of skill and detail, such as the nen powers and the fights in the chimera ant saga

it has this sense of pressure that most shonen series lack, especially when characters are trying to figure each other out!
I never minded when HxH had pages-long infodumps of stuff, and usually my eyes glave over when that poo poo happens. I think its because when HxH makes rules it actually sticks to them and does interesting things with them.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All these posts are good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah but judging from the royal family members introduced and the few tidbits we already saw I've no doubt that the Dark Continent arc would be absolutely brutal to minor characters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This thread is like a wake.

"He was...he was a loving great series man. A stand-up guy."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Serious Frolicking posted:

I really like how Ging didn't have some epic, world-shaking reason for not being around. Generally stories where a kid goes on an adventure to meet a missing parent justify the parent's absence. But no, Ging is just a coward.
He's even better when he just shows up at the start of the hunter elections in like a single panel with zero attention drawn to it. I think I had to do a double-take when they mentioned his name among a big list of other names.

I re-read the Alluka mini-arc again because it was short and I needed a fix.

Hisoka actually resembling a real human being when he just goes to a bar with Illumi like a normal person was fun.
He finds out there's a very real possibility he could die, instantly, without being able to do a single thing about it, and is actually worried about it rather than HAHA ME DIE IMPOSSIBLE~
The interaction between the Zoldyc family members was cool, they feel like an actual family that care about in each other (albeit in weird ways) rather than just a bunch of random antagonists who live in the same house.
I had forgotten how super-loving-creepy Nanika is drawn as when she shows up. Just a black void hanging out on that butler's shoulder, yikes.
Alluka on the other hand was super-adorable.
All the butlers, really.
Don't be a butler for that family.
Also gently caress you Togasi for that rabbit-man pretending to be Gotoh and giving us hope for like two panels, WHO THE gently caress DOES THAT

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 23, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
wearing a snazzy suit, confirmed for gotoh

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
From what's been mentioned about them it talks about 'significant contributions' to qualify, so most likely it sounds like a combination of peer review and a higher-star sponsor. Triple-star credentials probably require recognition by either a significant percentage of the single and double hunters or the world government or something. I don't think we'll ever really find out because it'd remove a lot of mystery for no real payoff.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
also as a source of minor characters to get clowned on whenever the cast need them, duh

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All the best combat systems I've ever read involve limits and conditions rather than just surpassing via power creep, and the willingness of the author not to just break those limits in the name of escalation. Nen and Stands are the big ones, Hero Academia is coming along great. Hell even Naruto in part one was like that, some of the best fights in the first half were about defeating opponents techniques by out-thinking them. Can't think of any others of the top of my head. One Piece is a lot more free-wheeling than your average shounen and I think Bleach was always terrible with the 'suddenly I can beat you now'.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I re-read York Shin last night and I think that's the earliest point that it's explicitly stated that Gon's moral compass is unhinged. The auction character whose name I've already forgotten just flat-out states it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Looking at temmie's tweets as she binge-watched reminded me how great Biscuit was.

So great.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
At least it gave us Phinxs ridiculous hat.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If he didn't regularly sweep the board though you might have a Bleach or Naruto-style situation where they just pile the gently caress up because whoops they're suddenly a major part of the overall story and can't be disposed of. Having distinct sets of cool minor characters for each arc who come and go and most importantly have their own thing going on so they can leave without it feeling like the author just forgot about them is cool.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Butt Ghost posted:

Biscuit is still the Bescuit

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Why is there anyone still hanging around to watch this fight? These are some really devoted fans.
They're a fighting audience those people are D E D I C A T E D to seeing some wild poo poo go down.

See also; Battle Angel Alita where the audience happily watched a fight between a black hole karate champion and an all-consuming plant-creature.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So let me make sure I have this right because I'm reading this on a terrible phone screen: He isn't actually 'fixed' at all right now, he's pumping his organs manually using Bungee Gum and the wounds are all still there, just hidden via use of aura to simulate limbs and Texture Surprise to hide the damage?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
loving incredible.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Close the thread and lock the forum before people think up more really cool stuff that could happen in this arc that we'll never get to see.

"That door over there son? That's ADTRW. 'Tis said there's a grand treasure in a lost thread, guarded by a thousand hungry posters."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Will always love how psyched everyone is for that punch.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

Can I be baffled at how far fairy tail somehow managed to fall?
I ain't judging you man because I too have enjoyed confirmed bad comics, but what heights did Fairy Tail ever reach?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ging, the dad, driving force of the entire series, turning up for the plot in basically a roll-call scene was fantastic, as was immediately proceeding to gently caress with the hunter election for fun.

The same chapter also gave us Pariston so...best chapter?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A legendary page.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

Someone should just set up Kubo and Togashi as a pair, that way Togashi only has to write and Kubo only has to draw cool poo poo.
Nooooo this is a terrible idea son. I don't like relying on youtubers for evidence but one of them did a short video on Bleach and by the time that series ends everyone is fighting in a blank void.

edit; I checked and even as simple an activity as 'running' qualifies for a background made of speedlines.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hunter x Hunter is still extremely good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Character has been on-panel for like ten pages and already I just want her and her buddy to get out of this intact. Stay safe around your evil murder-prince you two.

(they are both doomed as gently caress)

Also that beast design is fantastic. Show it earlier in the chapter looking comparatively 'normal' wide-shot, followed by some weirder beasts (including the weird insect-hulk), then finish up with that terrifying stare-down to say "no, it's this one, this is the worst one".

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 29, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's an even more precarious position if they go through with it. A single badly-timed comment or enquiry from any other nen-user, or the Prince just becoming curious about types and wanting a double-check via the wine-glass test or something, could unravel the whole thing.

I forget but does T*nich brutalise/dissect/collect just because he wants to have unique things, or because he is actively fascinated by how they work? Because if it's the latter there is no way he doesn't immediately dive into nen as deeply as he can. :ohdear:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The bit about deciding what words mean for yourselves does not bode well for Harkenburg's wish to drop out with somebody like Cammy running around.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

Man I still loving adore that last panel.
It rules whenever he does that super-intense/detailed look. The one for Kurapika is great as well when he's staring down some fool and fingering his chains, but I forget what chapter it is.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bad Seafood posted:

EDIT: Now I'm wondering what would happen if Kurapika were forced to fight somebody for an extended period of time.
I feel like we are gonna find out on this hellboat.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wasn't there also that guy waaaaaaay back in the Tower arc whose name I forget that Hisoka killed, who also trained some essentially throwaway skills outside of his natural inclination and got dunked because of it?

Xelkelvos posted:

Hunter X Hunter is a long story and I've forgotten the details of a lot of stuff that happened over the series. The hiatuses don't help.
For real.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Pariston is a good boy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If we take each Nen beast as being either influenced by or straight-up personifications of the Princes themselves my own prediction is that it implies Zhang is incredibly calm and prefers planning and order to chaos (the general design and his actions so far) but when push comes to shove and he gets very desperate/afraid/under threat he won't hesitate to rely on surprise and instinct to pull through. Or that scraggly outline means that he'll fall apart completely if he his ordered plans break down. Who knows, but it'd be pretty fun if the beasts not only showed us the princes strengths but also their weaknesses.

Also I think that she can see it via the second-hand Nen ability. She's caught on to the fact that Kurapika is explaining nen for her sake as well as the princes', and she looks real loving nervous there in that one panel her and the beast are together in.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This arc really feels just insanely packed with characters, I can't recall any other arc with this many moving parts. It feels like the tension can't be ratcheted up anymore without something snapping, and the rest of the arc will be about whoever survives what's coming.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Be on the lookout for the BEST CHARACTER IN THE SERIES
That could be literally anyone.

Chimera arc was so loving good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

mabels big day posted:

Not gonna lie I completely forgot Kurapika is in the zodiacs now.
Yeah same, drat.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
After so much focus on the god-tier ninja-assassin, the borderline-sociopathic young brawler-boy, and the revenge-fueled tribesman currently playing royal death-game bodyguard, I'm ready for the local trainee doctor who wants to Get Paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: More spoilers, and the above is even better: Illumi is in the Troupe by Hisoka's request, hired by him specifically so they can kill each other. Illumi gets paid on Hisoka's death. According to this translation script Illumi even calls the arrangement an "engagement ring/promise/prenuptial agreement", which is fantastic.
That's an amazing level of extra, goddamn.