Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Momomo posted:

Yorknew was the best arc because Kurapika got to kill some of the Phantom Troupe. The only bad part was that he didn't kill off more of them.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed by the attempt to make the Phantom Troupe seem good-ish during the Chimera Ant arc. Those guys (with the possible exception of the ones who joined more recently, like Killua's sister) have done some irredeemable stuff and aren't much better than the ants they were fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Hunter Association should just keep a supply of Hunters on hand that haven't created their Nen specialization yet just in case some super strong bad guy appears, like the Ant King. They should then have one of these non-specialized hunters create some ability that can only be used against that one enemy within some specific time-frame. It would be like Kurapika's chains, except multiplied by 12 or whatever (or more if you make some "can only ever be used within the next month" condition).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

But, even setting all that aside, you also need to consider, who would want to dedicate a portion of their very being and limit all their future potential for the sole purpose of dealing with one particular problem? Kurapika is an extreme oddity in that he'd do that to himself; most people would rather not.

You could create the motive; while not everyone would be willing to do so, if you offered some huge some of money + other benefits (significantly more than you get as just as a hunter alone) some people would probably be willing to bite. But the point about Kurapika having a genuine hatred of the Phantom Troupe is valid, though I want to say there are other Nen specializations with limitations that don't fit that mold (can't think of them off the top of my head though).,

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it ever made clear where some folks like Morrel, Knuckle, or current-Gon/Killua stand in comparison with members of the Phantom Troupe?

I would normally say that the Phantom Troupe is still, on average, stronger than Gon/Killua and their Chimera Ant arc hunter peers, but the fact that Killua's little brother was able to join them makes me less certain. Granted, they made it pretty clear that his brother is the weakest member of the Troupe, but he's presumably at least in the same ballpark and Killua should be significantly stronger than him due to being both older and presumably more talented.

I'm aware that strict "power levels" don't really exist, but the series still makes it pretty clear that some characters are on a completely different level of ability than others.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, I loving loved how they played out literally second by second, the thought process that went on inside everyone's heads when Zeno unleashed his Dragon Dive, the emotional turmoil, and so on.

It's especially good in the Yuupi fight because they're literally fighting to stay alive long enough for Knuckles's power to take effect, so every loving second counts. The hunters don't really have any chance of hurting the King or the Royal Guard, so it's all about winning through unique conditions and biding for as much time as possible. They focus on running and hitting, grabbing attention, trickery, smoke illusions, etc.

It's amazing.

Hunter X Hunter is really great about showing when other characters are extremely threatening and far more powerful/stronger than the protagonists. You can see this both in the segment you're talking about in the Chimera Ant arc as well as throughout the Yorknew City arc when Gon/Killua are trying to hide from (and later escape) members of the Phantom Troupe.

In both cases you're 100% aware that the protagonists aren't going to win against their enemies with a burst of shounen righteous fury or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason Machi has always seemed out of place as a Phantom Troupe member. I can't really articulate why, but she just doesn't seem like the other members.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

He shouldn't need a berserk button to be useful in a brawl. He's a manipulator, a thinker, a researcher, a planner. He could/should have some means of outsmarting his opponents using the resources at his disposal rather than simply overpowering them. He could also just not be a "Fighter." Not everyone needs to be a fighter, especially if it's clear their talents are elsewhere. Hoji is the most important member of Shishio's Ten Swords despite never fighting anybody because of his skills as an administrator and logistician.

Eh, I get the impression that the overwhelming majority of nen users are, as just a pre-requisite, extremely strong (with people like Neon who are born with nen abilities as a rare exception). Like, special nen abilities are something that come after achieving some degree of mastery over your physical abilities and more simple nen usage (using your aura, etc). Pretty much any of the troupe could probably easily win against Gon/Killua in the Yorknew arc, despite the two kids being incredibly powerful monsters compared to an average human being.

So even if a member of the Phantom Troupe doesn't specialize in combat, they're still probably extremely competent at it. Remember, even your most mediocre hunter is some huge badass who can run 50 miles straight and complete a bunch of other grueling tests that explicitly involve combat.

edit: Regarding Shalark's special ability, I don't really mind it. Mostly because his primary ability is completely useless against anyone who isn't significantly weaker than you. That is, it's great for loving up a bunch of normal people or lower class hunters, but if you can't stick the thing in them in the first place you can't control them. And if you *can* stick the thing in them, you could presumably also win via a normal fight. So it's mostly just useful for situations where you need to crate confusion among larger groups of people or something but wouldn't be useful in a duel.

Speaking of similar abilities, isn't Illumi's ability superior in everyway to Shalnark's, assuming you ignore the super saiyan thing? It seems like Shalnark's requires the people he controls to be micro-managed.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 5, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the part near the end of the Yorknew arc that starts like a stereotypical shounen scene where Gon is like "You know, if you really think about Kurapika's ability it's clear that he never really intended to kill the Phantom Troupe" and then Killua is like "nah he just wanted to exact full revenge instead of simply killing them (+ he needs to be able to kill all of them)."

That whole arc also puts into perspective just how unhinged Gon is that he effectively gave his life in a burst of uncontrollable rage when finding out that Pitou couldn't resurrect Kite. Like, it makes sense to be angry about it, but 1. Kite doesn't seem to be more than a "close Uncle" to Gon* (and certainly not the equivalent of, say, Kurapika's clan) and 2. Pitou even apologized for it and certainly wasn't acting like an unrepentant villain, ala the Phantom Troupe. What's he going to do if something happens to any of his other friends/close companions? In a war, you would definitely want to remove that guy away from the front lines.

*Maybe the comic/show just wasn't clear on this? I could see Gon being more upset if he was raised by Kite as a surrogate father figure or something, but I more got the impression that Kite just occasionally visited and was a "cool uncle" sorta guy to Gon.

Also, reading the article on Pitou on the Hunter x Hunter wikia and found this line:

HxH wikia posted:

In both depictions, Neferpitou is given wide (shoulder-width) hips with a slim waist, and a low waist-hip ratio is a trait most commonly manifested in post-pubescent human females.

I can't imagine a more :spergin: way to write that. And then there's this:

quote:

Meruem also commented on Neferpitou's strength, after failing to kill them with one of his tail strikes, leaving them with only minor bruises; Shaiapouf, another Royal Guard member, was driven through a wall by the same attack, although the King had increased his power at that time.

Pretty sure Shaiapouf being driven through a wall is completely irrelevant given that, as the article itself states, the King explicitly was stronger/hit him harder. "Shaiapouf was hurt more than Pitou when the King hit him harder than he had hit the latter" is not useful information. While it's certainly possible, and even likely, that Pitou is stronger than Shaiapouf, it simply does not logically follow from those two events. If you're going to sperg, at least sperg accurately. And then there's how they insist on listing every random thing that could possibly be indicative of the character being fast/strong/agile/endurable. Like how Pitou has "Immense Smell" (lol) because he was able to smell Pokkle. I mean, I'm sure he does have great smell, what with the whole cat motif, but being able to smell a dude within 10-20 feet isn't exactly anything extreme or "immense" for many animals, much less a cat.

I'm happy that people contribute to these wikis, but I get the impression that many of them are a little strange.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

e X posted:

It actually does. The anime is overall very faithful to the manga, but they changed like the first two chapters.

Kite is actually the one that makes Gon want to become a Hunter. He come to Whale Island while on the search for Gin himself and meets Gon as a young child. Kite is the one that tells Gon about his father being a hunter and not dead, as Mito had told him, and gives Gon Gin's double star hunter license. He also has to kill a wild bear that Gin accidentally startled and berates him about that, which kind of defines Gon's relationship to animals.

So yeah, in the manga, Kite is pretty much a big brother figure and role model for Gon.

Does he actually spend a lot of time with Gon, though? Even if someone had a big impact in your life, most normal people still wouldn't form very strong emotional attachments to them unless they spent a lot of time together. Like, there are some people I met who had a greater impact on me as a person, but I would still be way sadder and more upset if one of my close friends I grew up with was hurt/killed.

I guess I'm willing to believe that Gon does, in fact, have such a close relationship with Kite. I just feel that it's one of those situations where it would be better to show than tell, since the reader doesn't really get the same sense of "holy poo poo, how dare the villain do this, this is terrible!" Honestly, I think that people mention the "show, don't tell" guideline far too often and that it isn't always necessary, but this is a situation where I think it would actually help, given the evidently extreme influence it had on the protagonist of the series. If someone like Killua died, I could more easily understand and empathize with Gon's reaction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

An important thing about Gon's breakdown against Pitou is that Gon was blaming himself for Kite's death. I's the first time he thinks he is the one directly responsible for the death of a friend because he was arrogant, and that's what motivated him to throw away his life as repentance.

Why would he blame himself, other than some silly "I should have been strong enough to protect him!" thing? Did Gon's actions directly lead to Kite's death (maybe they did, I'm not asking hypothetically)?

Either way, like Serious Frolicking said, I think he did what he did almost entirely out of anger. While I think Pitou attacks him before he goes berserk (I can't remember the exact order of events; didn't Pitou tell him about Kite, followed by Gon being stunned, followed by Pitou saying "sorry, but I have to kill you to protect the king"?), it seemed pretty clear that Gon would have murdered him even if he got down on all fours and promised to devote the rest of his life to Good. Which isn't the same impression I got from Kurapika. I get the feeling that, if for some bizarre reason Uvogin had said "I'm sorry, that was wrong of us" in a convincing matter, Kurapika wouldn't have killed him (though he still probably would have given him some prohibitive chain condition like Chrollo's "never use nen"). Even Pakunoda's actions throw him into disarray, despite her still being complete unapologetic about the Troupe's actions.

On a side note, I was thinking about Shizuku's nen ability and it is actually more powerful for single combat that it might seem at a glance. If she manages to break your skin even once without you instantly covering it/bandaging it up, she can just suck out all your blood like in her fight with Pike. Also, for a comedy option couldn't she suck off all your clothes?

As far as "worst nen abilities" goes, Squala's dog manipulation thing comes to mind. I'm pretty sure any trained hunter could instantly kill a bunch of dogs attacking them, and the only really useful applications of his ability are really cruel towards the dogs (ala "send suicide dog to scout") and I doubt he would do such a thing in the first place.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 6, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

He had a largely non-combat power like so many other characters do. Controlling dogs like that would be a great ability for a bodyguard, as it would let him detect threats early. For actually handling those threats, he needed to rely on others. I forget if he could communicate with the dogs or just control them, though.

That's actually a good point. If he can communicate with the dogs to some extent, it's basically like having super hearing and super smell all rolled up into one ability.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

The personal touches, such as the color equals power bit, probably enhanced it a little, but it didn't take advantage of Nen's many unique quirks and was a pretty standard example of what Nen could do. Additionally, going for Transmutation probably wasn't his best choice; if he had instead employed Manipulation, which is adjacent to Emission, he might have made a more effective ability. Alternatively, some restrictions (such as, say, only being able to use each arrow once until the entire set is expended, or having to gather fired arrows to use that color again, perhaps, for some that come off the top of my head) would have enhanced their power and possibly made them more devastating; compare to his Red Arrow, which just made a completely standard fire on contact. Thematic, perhaps, and probably has some utility, but not particularly effective for combat. A restriction or pledge could have likely gotten him full-on explosions or infernos, despite his lack of synergy with Transmutation, and also made his Orange Arrow, which was entirely Emission and thus at 100% power for his skill level, lightning-fast and devastating on impact rather than merely "pretty fast but still a normal projectile", among other things.

Basically, Pokkle's a case study in a simple and unfortunately shallow nen ability, which was a major factor in his capture and unfortunate demise. Though it is impressive he lasted as long as he did, and apparently he and his team gave the soldier ants a fair amount of trouble until Pike and Zazan got him. While his relatively meager talent (he was still struggling with Ren when Killua and Gon had just finished learning the basics, while Hanzo and Kurapika had already learned it well before them) made him overall pretty weak compared to a lot of the characters we've seen, and he was clearly the weakest of the graduates of the 287th exam, he did have legitimate skill with hunting. Unfortunately, he was in completely over his head the moment he entered NGL.

I dunno, Gon's abilities are pretty simple and seem to work out well for him.

The downside to having all those restrictions and poo poo is that you're setting yourself up to be completely owned if someone else understands your abilities. With something simple like Gon's, you don't have to worry about that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

I don't think Pokkle's ability involved transmutation, at least not significantly. They were color-coded, sure, but that's not a huge investment compared to something like Castro's clones. He basically just shot bullets (arrows) out of his fingers, and wasn't all that great at it. It's a reflection of his mediocrity in general, not of his lack of creativity.

Don't go calling Pokkle mediocre, I bet he'd gently caress you AND your dad and even all your dad's friends up in a fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the Hanzo thing, I'm a little mixed about Hunter x Hunter's approach to supporting characters. It seems like there are two reasonable ways a long shounen story like this can work; either a relatively small group of protagonists and supporting characters are followed throughout the various story arcs (think DBZ), or every story arc introduces a brand new set of supporting characters, with only the core protagonists remaining prominent (if you do both of these things you end up with something unpleasant like Bleach). Hunter x Hunter obviously chooses the latter; virtually zero supporting characters have had a significant role in more than one arc, other than maybe Hisoka. One of the downsides to this is that it means supporting characters that fans are interested in do not receive much of a spotlight or progression. The Phantom Troupe post-Yorknew is one example of this. Another problem is that it can result in later arcs seeming unplanned, particularly when the supporting characters they introduce are big players; the obvious example of this is the Zodiacs, who I believe are never even mentioned before the election arc (which is kind of awkward when you consider that the Chimera Ant stuff was considered a serious enough threat to warrant Netero himself getting involved and even dying).

All this being said, I think the positives of this method of story-telling outweigh the negatives. While some interesting characters might not receive the focus I'd like, all of the new characters each arc introduces are great, and it allows for a lot more variety in plot-lines and very little redundancy. Rather than focusing too much on a grand, series-spanning narrative, Hunter x Hunter instead opts for far more intricately plotted individual arcs. So as much as I would like to see more of characters like Hanzo or progress Kurapika's story arc, it's probably better that it's done this way.

Clarste posted:

It's just interesting that one of the most powerful nen users in the series chose an ability that she wasn't very talented at.

Doesn't she have multiple abilities? She also has that one where the doll grabs all her limbs and makes her fight beyond her limits.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 6, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

There's a single chapter in the Chimera Ant arc where Morel is complaining about Pariston interfering with their work there, although he's not mentioned by name. Basically, Netero died because Pariston was trying to make things hard on him.

Ah, I missed that. I guess that would make what I mentioned a non-issue, since nothing prior to the Chimera Ant arc really warranted the involvement of the top members of the Hunter Organization.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Ik what this series needs Highschool AU

Although Mito-san is cool but I still wanted him to ask what happened to his real mother on the top of the tree. I must know before Gon goes off to become a regular school kid again.

His real mom is Biscuit. Ging has interesting tastes in women.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I don't understand about nen is how people form their abilities. Like, can you calibrate your nen ability? For example "I can emit a nen blast, but can only do it every 10 seconds to make it stronger!" "Hm, that wasn't strong enough, let's try 20 seconds." Because how in the world is someone supposed to know exactly what effect the limitations they put in place will have? It seems like a total crapshoot. But at the same time, it seems like you can't do that, because if you could then nen users would simply alter their abilities depending upon the fight.

I guess we're supposed to just assume that nen users are suddenly struck with an inspiration to create a certain ability. Except some are struck with an inspiration that doesn't end up working that well, like Kastro or Pokkle.

Yeah, but having the Ryodan around helps a lot I guess.

They pretty much tortured the poo poo out of Owl to get information off of him, which probably made it a snap for Chrollo.

Yeah, it's basically super easy for him to steal an ability from anyone who the Ryodan can capture/overpower. If he sees a cool ability, he just has to have his buddies capture the person (or do it himself). It's just pretty much impossible for him to get an ability from someone who is at/near his level like Zeno (or someone who knows how his ability works and has the guts to not give into Feitan's torture).

Blaze Dragon posted:

So while there's no strict time limit, he can't stay in Emperor Time forever.
Eh, he can easily keep it up for pretty much any battle unless he's needing to use it a bunch for several days at a time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eej posted:

It is a total crapshoot. Remember that Kurapika had no idea how strong his abilities would be despite using an incredibly narrow restriction on their use so he tested it out against the physically strongest member of the Troupe first.

It seems like 60% of people would end up realizing that they hosed up their nen ability and are consequently screwed for life, though (I would say more like ~95%, but enhancers and some transmuter/emitter abilities, like Killua's, are more difficult to screw up).

The idea of someone realizing 6 months after creating their Hatsu that it sucks and no amount of training will ever bring them up to par is pretty hilarious.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well all he needed was the jail chain to win as it puts his opponent in Zetsu. If I remember correctly he went after Uvo first because he was unsure if the chains themselves would be strong enough to restrain the Troupe. (I think despite the abilities on them they are just normal chains.) So if the physically strongest member in Zetsu was unable to break out of the chains then none of them would be.

What do you mean by "normal chains"? They're definitely made of Nen and stronger than normal chains (or else they wouldn't be able to restrain even a Zetsu'd Uvogin).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Any nen concept can be developed to become powerful. Even for the expressly non-combat abilities, mastering those comes with increasing their basic nen proficiency. On top of their main ability, every spider we saw fight was also a very strong enhancer.

Yeah, but the series used Kastro as an example that, even if you can become strong with any nen concept, you're still handicapped and probably screwed against anyone who more effectively/efficiently chose their ability.

Either way, it's a pretty easy thing to ignore, since it seems that unless you do something super obviously wrong (like Kastro focusing strongly on nen abilities far outside his affinity) your ability will generally end up okay. The fact that it doesn't always make sense for someone to magically know whether their ability will be effective is easy to overlook. I assume it's the sort of thing where, if you're "true to yourself" and don't try to force yourself into some mold you're not suited for (like Kastro), you will end up doing the right thing. Like, a zen or Star Wars Force thing where, on some level, you're drawn towards the right Hatsu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Kurapika uses both real chains and nen-conjured chains. The purpose of the former is to distract from the fact that he's using the latter.

I'm pretty sure I remember him specifically mentioning that the chains on his fingers are conjured, but he keeps them visible constantly in order to fool people into thinking that they're real and just being manipulated (and as a result not considering that they could be hidden with that one nen skill I forget the name of, In maybe?).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 8, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

That centipede fight was loving awful. They had him standing in place for like half the episode. Not only that, but they constantly showed him and the centipede standing dead still.

One thing that pretty much all battle shounen series do a kind of bad job at is displaying the fact that characters are becoming faster/stronger (but mostly faster). For example, the way Gon and Killua are moving around during the Hunter Exam and Yorknew arcs (like that one scene where Killua ping-pongs off the walls when trying to escape or the part where Gon and Killua are trying to escape in the hotel and do all this stuff in 0.5 seconds) appears far more fast and impressive than what we see from them in the Chimera Ant arc. We're told that they're stronger, and (at least in Killua's case) there's a new ability, but when it shows them fighting the Chimera Ants they don't look any faster or stronger than they were at the very beginning of the series. It's more of an issue in the show than the comic, since in the comic you can just sort of imagine that they're doing everything faster than before, but in the show you're actually shown what's happening and it feels dumb to see Killua get knocked aside by an ant that looks to be going maybe 50-60mph when he could instantly tear someone's heart out in the first arc of the series.

This is a relatively minor complaint given that I don't think I've ever seen a shounen do this well, but it would be nice if one did.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I think that the surplus just does damage to knuckle.

Knuckle's ability is super good and basically makes him capable of hitting way above his weight class since he only really needs the ability to keep away from his opponents after that first punch, which is probably doable unless your opponent is significantly stronger than you. It becomes even better if he's working in a team and can have a partner get between him and the enemy. It's also extremely useful if he's trying to stall for time, since him and the opponent can just trade blows indefinitely without suffering any damage.

One Nen ability I actually don't like is Killua's Kanmaru thing. It doesn't seem like it's very good for writing into fights; it basically makes him able to 100% beat anyone who isn't so strong that they can flat-out tank his attacks (like Youpi). Its only downside is that he can only use it a limited time and needs to charge it up beforehand, but that's a pretty minor trade-off for such a powerful ability (he just ends up as strong as he was to begin with once it runs out, rather than it having an actual down-side). While it's still possible to put Killua in difficult situations in the sense that he has to ration out his use of Kanmaru and can't just use it on every random enemy, it seems like it will inevitably make any fight where he does choose to use it pretty boring (either he runs circles around the enemy and owns them or he barely does any damage with his attacks like with Youpi, and in either case the enemy can't hit him until his power runs out). It also seems like it makes Killua waaay stronger than Gon (ignoring Gon's suicide adult form thing).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The mob assassins technically got a draw in that fight :colbert: Uvogin would have been hosed if the rest of the Troupe wasn't around to pull out that poison/leeches. Then again, part of what makes the Troupe so strong is the fact that they actively support each other.

Wild Horses posted:

I think it's possible to juke his nen with your own, as long as you realize what he is doing. When you enter his preprogrammed space, his nen activates and counterattacks.
The way to do it is to set up a counterattack of your own and forcefully trip his "sensors" with your nen. If he buys the bait you might take a hit but also strike back.

I'm talking about his "cover his body with electricity and move super fast" thing, not that ability (though that ability is also really powerful). He basically becomes untouchable while using it; even Youpi couldn't hit him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Killua is the better fighter but gon has more raw power i think. Which makes sense considering gon was left in the jungle and killua was trained

its a real shame this is never being finished

That actually doesn't make sense at all (being trained would be pretty much superior in every way except for your jungle survival skills), but from what I can tell there isn't really anything telling us who has more base strength at present. Gon can obviously output more power with his ability, but when fighting normally I would guess that Killua is a bit better all around (though we've been told that Gon only reaches his actual potential during protracted fights, so this might not even be true).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When you guys keep ending your posts with stuff like "it's a shame that will never happen" and "there won't be a long run" it makes me unironically sad :( Hunter x Hunter is by far my favorite shounen series and it is really depressing that it will likely never end or even resolve a bunch of major character arcs. At least Gon found his dad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't, she was a cool person and I liked that moment where she told Leorio his heartbeat was comforting and nice and he'd make a much better doctor or professor.

Leorio x Melody IMO

They never really made clear how much her music ability is able to heal people, since it wouldn't be that useful if the only thing it could do is calm them down, but her hearing ability alone is super powerful and basically turns her into some kind of radar that is able to track people within a pretty large radius and do other stuff like tell if they're lying as well.

edit: I've been rewatching the Chimera Ant arc from the anime (I think that I only ever read the manga I never actually watched it) and I forgot how well the King's relationship with Komugi is developed. The end of episode 108 (where he obviously comes to realize he cares for her in some capacity) is really moving. The idea of evil people finding love and becoming good isn't exactly novel, but it is executed extremely well and convincingly here.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 10, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

e X posted:

It should. A lot of people here said they would be fine with Togashi just writing scripts for anime, but honestly, while I like the anime as a companion piece to the original, I think the manga is a lot better.

The color and music in the anime massively changes the tone of scenes and not always for the better. It's kind of hard to put in words, but the feel of the manga and the anime are very different. It might not even be any specific changes, but more the strength and weaknesses of the media themselves. Togashi works with a lot unusual panel layouts and a lot of white space and that creates a very alienating feeling, like being of being lost, due to the lack of backgrounds. That gives the entire story a very mysterious, almost sinister atmosphere that the anime just can't recreate.

I generally agree, but the 2011 anime (I haven't seen the other one) has some pretty good tracks. I like a couple of the "something really dramatic and/or sad is happening" themes.

My only issue with the way the music is used is that there are certain themes that seem to always be used in certain situations. Like, pretty much any time a Zoldyck is on the screen, they'll play what I'm assuming is the Zoldyck theme. Same goes for Phantom Troupe members. Neither of those themes are bad at all, but they don't always fit the scene and the anime seems to just religiously play them any time a relevant character is around.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

For whatever reason I have a real fondness for that moment Shoot starts using his hands as platforms and ties his collar over his eye, which the Narrator says "he had no clear reason to do so." Something about that part gets to me.

Yeah, that part was simultaneously hilarious and cool. He just thought it would look badass to cover his eye I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I love that moment too.

It's pretty much the moment that cements Gon as "A Bad Person"; he literally was completely willing to murder an innocent, injured girl just to fulfill his revenge.

Kild posted:

Nen is placebo the super power.

In the world of Hunter x Hunter, the most powerful people are all the dumb people who think crystals have healing powers and what have you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope she's talking about Uvogin

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I was thinking about Phinks' Ripper Cyclotron (his ability where he winds up his arm to make a strong punch) since he is my favorite Ryodan member. That ability seems like it could be extremely good, depending upon how exactly it works. The big factor determining whether his ability is "awesome" versus just "a somewhat altered version of Gon's rock" is how long his arm holds the charge. If it holds the charge for more than a few seconds, he can wind up immediately before a fight and get one "free" super powerful punch, which would be extremely useful (imagine it paired up with Meleoron's God's Accomplice). If it only holds it for a couple seconds, then it's both worse and better than Gon's rock (though mostly worse). On one hand, Ripper Cyclotron probably has the potential for significantly more raw power and (even if it only holds for a second or two) he doesn't have to use it instantly after winding up (whereas Gon seems like he has to immediately "use it or lose it" with Rock), but on the other it takes more time to prep (if he does more than a couple rotations) than Gon's Rock, which already takes a while to use. I would guess that the exchange for it having the potential to be more powerful is that it probably takes more time to do the rotations necessary to equal Rock's power (relative to his own strength, that is). Otherwise, its usage is pretty much the exact same; the risk of a technique that has a long prep time is the same, and he can also psyche people out with it like Gon did against Knuckle.

It seems kind of boring on the surface, but could have some complexity to its usage.

edit: Random question - why does Feitan use a sword? I was under the impression that swords are basically useless once you've mastered Nen, since you could still block it if you defended with enough aura or cut/stab things using your hands. And if they actually do confer a significant benefit (for example greater range), why does virtually no one use them?

Actually, I expect that Zodiac to have a higher chance of losing a member than Pariston's crew because as Netero said, the Dark Continent isn't really about being good at fighting. It's about surviving against nature itself. It's not about winning or losing, it's about not dying.

The Zodiac aren't all (or even mostly) about fighting, though. Isn't Cheadle literally the best doctor in the world or something? And you become a 2/3 star hunter by accomplishing great things, not by beating up strong dudes (unless the great thing in question directly involves beating up a strong dude).

Regarding the Zodiacs being like furries, I don't think it's really that bad; only a couple look remotely like what you would normally associate with a furry (Cheadle and Kanzaki come to mind). The rest either just look like people with animal-themed clothing or hosed up faces that look like an animal's (horse dude). Speaking of Cheadle, if her nose/mouth is a body mod how does that even work? It looks like her jaw actually protrudes like a dog's and her nose is just a bump. I have trouble thinking that she completely mutilated her face out of respect for the chairman.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 14, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

She did just that, which is why the hole body mod thing is so hosed up.

Whoa, where does it mention this? I haven't read much after the election arc (been trying to hold off), so I'm guessing it's there?

Maybe Cheadle is just such an absurdly good doctor/surgeon that she can easily do ridiculous plastic surgery like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You can apply nen to objects. That was one of the things that Gon and Killua learned in Greed Island. The Horse Zodiac also carries around a sword. As does Nobunaga, another member of the Ryodan.

And Chrollo himself carries around a really high-quality poisoned knife that was capable of cutting the skin of Silver, one of the best assassins in the world.

In Feitan's case, he was up against a Chimera Ant that possessed far superior defense when compared to a human. And a relatively high-ranking one at that.

Yeah, I understand that, but - assuming an equal amount of aura is used - is a nen-enhanced sword vs. a nen-enhanced fist/arm the exact same as a regular sword vs a regular fist? And if so, wouldn't the vast majority of people use some sort of weapon? It seems like you would be at a huge disadvantage without one, all other things being equal.

My guess is "most people don't use weapons because Togashi didn't want most fights to involve weapons", which is perfectly acceptable; I was just curious if there was some actual, stated reason why only a few people are shown using them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Then it seems like a person deeply committed to a decent weapon would gently caress up someone deeply committed to fighting with their fists. It's the "all parts equal" part that's important, here; obviously a weaponless nen user who is far more skilled could punk a less skilled person using a weapon.

One explanation that could work (but I don't think has been explicitly stated) is if your aura becomes weaker the further it is from your body when enhancing something. So even if you can put aura into a sword, you can't put as much as you could put into your fist, so you end up with a trade-off between range and power.

Vaguely related to this, that ant Feitan fought (Zazan I think) was actually ridiculously strong and only lost because Feitan's nen ability is retarded and overpowered*. She was completely unharmed by a full-forced strike from one of the stronger members of the Ryodan.

*Though not as dumb as the dancer guy who can summon a Jupiter that apparently chases and crushes you and doesn't even require you to get hurt first

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Had Zazan kept on the offensive instead of backing off to see what Feitan could do she probably would have crushed him.

That actually applies to every single fight during that "Phantom Troupe vs Chimera Ants" segment, with the sole exception of Shizuka's (actually, even she would have been hosed if Pike wanted to kill her and just attacked her after catching her in the web).

1. Gorilla thing stands there and lets Phinx get a free hit on him with his Ripper Cyclotron
2. Kalluto's opponent also just stands there between each use of his paper cyclone thing (which only knocked off one of his multiple limbs with each use; that fight was particularly weird since the enemy literally just stands there all like "WHAT IS GOIN ON" between every cyclone).
3. Shalnark's opponent gives him time to use his self-controlling thing, instead of just finishing him off after capturing him
4. Feitan's opponent stands there while he uses his Pain Packer ability
5. Bonolenov's opponent stands there while he dances.

In retrospect those were kind of some bad fights, at least by HxH standards.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a difference between being angry and being utterly enraged. Which Feitan was after his arm was broken.

Yeah, though it seems like "having trouble with and/or being injured in a fight" is something that inherently enrages him. And getting injured is something that will happen in pretty much any fight that either isn't easy or where you aren't just killed in one shot.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In regards to 5, I kind of got the impression that Bono's power worked even while he was dodging, as long as he was dodging in a particular way. Also, the Chimera Ant was tired because he was repeatedly on the offensive and failed to land a single hit. Which says a lot about how much stamina Bono must have.

I'm willing to buy that, though it seems like it would mean that Bonolenov is absurdly strong and probably second only to Chrollo himself. That Jupiter move is crazy strong*, so I was just assuming "having to dance for a while" was some significant limitation associated with it, but if he can dance while also dodging then it kind of negates that point.

*I don't know if it's even possible to avoid it; it followed that Chimera Ant even though it was one of the faster ones, and it's obviously unblockable unless you have some weird special ability.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a difference between being angry and being utterly enraged. Which Feitan was after his arm was broken.

To be fair, I got the impression that Zazan was probably the strongest Chimera Ant other than the Royal Guards and King, and we weren't shown anyone (other than the Chairman and "life-sacrificing Gon") who was capable of handling Royal Guards so there could be a pretty big range between the guys Gon/Killua defeated and the guys the Phantrom Troupe fought. That being said, I'm pretty sure that all the guys other than Zazan were below Squadron Leader or whatever the rank below Royal Guard was (I think they were the same rank as that winged rabbit dude Killua easily defeated), in which case yeah - it makes zero sense for the Troupe to have trouble with them.

To be honest, I think that whole section was just some fun fanservice for people who wanted to see the Troupe again.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

Really? I got just the opposite impression due to the fact that they were fighting them one-on-one. EDIT: Lest we forget the main party were getting their poo poo pushed in at the time.

They were getting their poo poo pushed in by the Royal Guard, who are all vastly more powerful than the ants the Troupe were up against (with the only possible exception of post-transformation Zazan).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems pretty clear to me that Netero's ability was related more to the praying than the movements. The movements could have been him picking his nose, it doesn't really matter; it's that he is so committed and put so much effort and feeling into his thanks towards martial arts as a whole. The movements may be connected to the mechanics of the way his ability works, but its strength is related to that time he spent praying.

Either way, I'm curious as to how they could deal with anything in the Dark Continent stronger than the Ant King. Literally the only characters in the series capable of handling the King were Netero and forced-grown-up Gon. Anyone else would have been slaughtered by him. Then again, I guess if you have a decent sized group full of varied nen users that you could put together plans to deal with a large variety of opponents. But I got the impression that the King was just so absurdly powerful that he could still rip off your head because you could even do anything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As someone else mentioned, the key difference is that conjuration creates an actual object that normal people can see. As long as the conjured object is around, for all practical purposes it's a real thing.

edit: But I want to say that you would need a mix of conjuration and emission in order to conjure something that you don't require constant contact to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

I do like that the system on it's face looks like it's numerically based, but then when you think about it the numbers mean nothing. Nobody is ever going to 100% master any category and the percentage limitations are really less about limiting effectiveness and more about making it harder to be good. So an enhancer could create a exquisite masterpiece of emission nen, it's just harder for them to do so than create an enhancement nen technique. Add into it that people's nen types can change over time, and it's a very open system that appears to be strictly locked down.

If the hiatus ever ends and Gon get's his Nen back, I kind of hope he changes as a character resulting in him having a different affinity and thus new attacks.

I don't really get this impression. Kastro's character more or less existed as a way to tell the viewer "hey you shouldn't focus on nen types far away from your expertise."

Since the time a person can train is limited, and you'll never be as good at a given category as someone who is inherently better suited to it for a given amount of time spent, it's just kind of dumb to not build your skill-set around your type.

Yeah, you can become "strong" in a general sense at any type of nen regardless of your natural type, but you'll definitely be significantly handicapped and incapable of beating anyone who also obsesses over self-improvement but specializes in something closer to their natural type.