Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

KozmoNaut posted:

It's really hard to go wrong with Yamaha.

My first saxophone and my first motorcycle were made by the same company!

(can an instrument count as a relic? I don't think so, the YAS-62S was a good saxophone and it lasted me a long while)

I have no idea if this is a relic or not, since it was actually my cousin's and I only rode it a handful of times

Mousepractice has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Late 70s stereo equipment is definitely my favorite thing. I picked up this JVC yesterday at a garage sale. I just ordered some bulbs that will hopefully work for the dial lights, and it will be good as new.

The Sansui below is my current centerpiece:

Join us in the vintage audio thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=156

I also picked this up for a buck yesterday:

Obviously it's useless now with digital TV, but I always liked Sony's design of 80s portables. This will go in my walkman collection.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

I'm the enya tape

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Armacham posted:

I'm the enya tape

She stopped doing cassettes in 2005 so I've had to roll my own.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jul 22, 2018

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I need to find someone to help me troubleshoot the weirdness in my Yamaha SR-50 amp I use for PC sound. One channel comes and goes, but if I change the surround processing mode (as it's a surround sound amp in reality but I don't use it as one) it comes back (but doesn't sound as good).
Anyway, I've had it repaired before years ago but it recently started happening again and it seems simple enough internally to have a shot myself, but I don't really know where to start. As Metal Geir Skogul mentioned, I've replaced a relay in another Yamaha amp myself that solved a power up issue, but this is something further down the line and unless something has actually blown up I don't know what to test or how.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mousepractice posted:

(can an instrument count as a relic? I don't think so, the YAS-62S was a good saxophone and it lasted me a long while)

I have no idea if this is a relic or not, since it was actually my cousin's and I only rode it a handful of times

The FZ6 is the saxophone of motorcycles

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mousepractice posted:

I don't know about the YAS-62, but the tenor model of that line, the YTS-62 isn't an instrument you'd need to learn any quirks to play. Unlike some tenors made roughly before the '50s, which often have weird pinkie table ergonomics, extraneous trill keys, and that kind of thing.

I have a Conn 30m which probably does count as a tech relic. It was Conn's high-end tenor from the late '30s until the Second World War, and it probably has more adjustments and set screws than any other sax ever made. Conn used to be way more willing to experiment around with the design of orchestral instruments than most of the other big name manufacturers. I also own a Conn 28A cornet, which is one of a series of Conn instruments that (intentionally) blur the line between cornets and trumpets, a relic of the argument over whether the cornet or trumpet was a better soloists' instrument (early in the 20th Century the common wisdom was that coronets were more `musical' than trumpets). Conn also made a line of clarinets using `propeller wood', which is basically just an unstained cocobolo laminate they used when grenadilla became harder to get because of the Second World War (the material was never actually used for aircraft propellers, it just resembles similar laminates that were used for this purpose).

If you want an example of an alto sax that's a tech relic, that's probably the Grafton acrylic alto.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKentKiGOY

Mr B Natural approves of Conn

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

I don't know about the YAS-62, but the tenor model of that line, the YTS-62 isn't an instrument you'd need to learn any quirks to play. Unlike some tenors made roughly before the '50s, which often have weird pinkie table ergonomics, extraneous trill keys, and that kind of thing.

I have a Conn 30m which probably does count as a tech relic. It was Conn's high-end tenor from the late '30s until the Second World War, and it probably has more adjustments and set screws than any other sax ever made. Conn used to be way more willing to experiment around with the design of orchestral instruments than most of the other big name manufacturers. I also own a Conn 28A cornet, which is one of a series of Conn instruments that (intentionally) blur the line between cornets and trumpets, a relic of the argument over whether the cornet or trumpet was a better soloists' instrument (early in the 20th Century the common wisdom was that coronets were more `musical' than trumpets). Conn also made a line of clarinets using `propeller wood', which is basically just an unstained cocobolo laminate they used when grenadilla became harder to get because of the Second World War (the material was never actually used for aircraft propellers, it just resembles similar laminates that were used for this purpose).

If you want an example of an alto sax that's a tech relic, that's probably the Grafton acrylic alto.

I love this post so much :toot:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/XYQOM/status/1022665027113951232

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Huh. I was scrolling through that thinking "for once I won't be surprised it's a loss edit! I see it already!"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

:drat:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:golfclap:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This is actually good ref for artists, and I can see myself making pixel art of this. I don't know what the different configs mean, but I like it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:pusheen:

DicktheCat posted:

This is actually good ref for artists, and I can see myself making pixel art of this. I don't know what the different configs mean, but I like it.

Off, On, Disk In, Disk Read.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

DicktheCat posted:

I don't know what the different configs mean, but I like it.

I just had a vision of my future, I'm going to be at a museum or something showing kids how floppy drives worked :corsair:

Edit: Here are some instructions for using a floppy disk drive I found in the IBM PC manual, for those who don't know this stuff :v:

I got the manual from https://www.retroarchive.org

Edit 2: Just to be clear, that is an entire desktop PC with a built-in floppy drive, not just a massive version of the Commodore 64 floppy drive!

Buttcoin purse has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Jul 28, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm a fan of those giant red switches from that era. Such a satisfying CHUNK sound when you toggled them.

Also they taught us to use index+middle fingers for the drive latch on the Lab apple IIs in 1st grade -- OH NMGOD NOT THE THUMB YOU COULD SNAP THE HINGE OFF KID.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

I'm a fan of those giant red switches from that era. Such a satisfying CHUNK sound when you toggled them.
Yeah, unlike the firmware-based power controls on modern machines, you really felt like you were cutting off all the power.

You weren't, though: IBM PC XT Smoking whilst switched off!? :v:

quote:

Also they taught us to use index+middle fingers for the drive latch on the Lab apple IIs in 1st grade -- OH NMGOD NOT THE THUMB YOU COULD SNAP THE HINGE OFF KID.
:lol:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

nice, but the last one is missing something without including that sweet, delicate sound produced by a 1541 reading a disk

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
1541 chat! I'm briefly relevant!

My desk right now:

I also have 3 Datassettes lying around here, but why use those unless you really have to, right? :v:

The first 3rd party software for the C64 was released in 1983 (or late 1982, don't quote me on it). That means that some of the earliest floppies for the C64 are already 35 years old. Out of all the floppies I have (I stopped buying around 1992 I think), 99% or so still works.

I have a few shoeboxes of 5.25" floppies here, and I'd like to see 'm backed up; mostly because the legal games don't have the "trainers" baked in (a "trainer" is a pre-game menu that was hacked in that allows you to get stuff like infinite lives, money or time). An alternative for a trainer (but one that likely won't work for newer games anymore) is entering a POKE code which flips a few bits of memory (this may disable counters that subtract lives, money or time). You basically have a Game Genie built in right when you start it up, because there's of course no such thing as memory protection. Then there are drawings and documents and even a few really lovely demos (with a demo-creator tool) I made way back in the day, and I want to see if I can salvage them as well, as well as the tool itself.

So, I went looking for options to back up stuff. This is an incredibly fiddly procedure and it involves manually installing/commandlining some stuff, but everything still works miraculously on Windows 10. Most games can be found and downloaded easily - no such thing as Nintendo going C&D on C64 disk image sites. Some obscure stuff is harder to find, though.

The 1541 disk drive is special in the sense that it's an entire computer by itself. It also is hamstrung by the fact that it loads in software really slowly, so most games/demos had a quickloader which accelerated the loading process; you can also have cartridges that offer something similar. Life is too short to be waiting for Skate Or Die to load.

Step 1: let the C64 load from an SD card instead of a 1541. Solution: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/commodore/sd2iec-c.html - the SD2IEC for the C64. All C64 software ever made fits easily on 8 GB. You'd have to do some really crazy things to go over that number because disk images are tiny. Each avatar on this page is already likely bigger than an entire game.

Step 2: find a way to copy existing disks from the 1541 to your computer. That's a bit harder. Solution: http://store.go4retro.com/zoomfloppy/ - the ZoomFloppy. You get a bare circuit board with a Mini USB connector and a DIN plug.

With gui4cbm4win you can display the content of disks and turn single files or the entire disk into images. These images load in an emulator without issue. You can copy the image files to the SD card and load 'm into the C64.

The exception is of course any kind of demo that uses the 1541 as a co-processor, but virtually none of the games do this, just demos I think. Of course, if you have the ZoomFloppy, you can probably write the demo files back to old-fashioned 5.25" disks again if you wanted to. In most cases, someone has already captured the demo in HD at 50Hz with a real SID and put it on Youtube, and if you just wanted to listen to the music, there's the High Voltage SID Collection here - https://www.hvsc.c64.org .

But that's not all. You can also replace the entire aging guts of the C64 with an FPGA-clone - https://ultimate64.com (and that's just one of the options, there's a competing one too) - and still pop in an original SID chip (or two).

Amiga people are fanatical, but the C64 people get poo poo done in amazing ways (meanwhile, the Amiga ROMs are still under copyright and you've got warring factions about who gets to carry the torch for a faster machine that'll never run anything real-world functional anymore). The C64 is so comparatively slow, you could put an entire microprocessor to task to let it reverse-emulate stuff, and it'd most likely all work because of the speed difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9WRwCiSr0

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jul 28, 2018

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

:pusheen:

Off, On, Disk In, Disk Read.

Hey, thanks.

Also thanks to buttcoin purse. I'm old enough to know how to use a floppy, but young enough to not have that much experience with the big ones. 3.5" for me, baby.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Obsolete disc drives? How about the HP 9114B?

A battery-powered 3.5" floppy with an HP-IL interface. A US$800 external storage solution for your HP-41C calculator in 1984. Also worked with the HP-75 handheld 8-bit computer, and a few other devices.

The HP-IL (HP Interface Loop) adapter for the 41C is an expansion module that plugs into a card-edge port in the back of the calculator. Like most of the 41C's modules the HP-IL one adds a new menu to the calculator's internal catalog, adding commands that allow you to read and write data to disc. You could also get an HP-IL-capable tape drive, printer, plotter, and TV/monitor interface, in addition to a bunch of lab/data collection equipment (e.g. there was an HP gas chromatograph that you could get an HP-IL interface for, and poo poo like surveying equipment, for example). The whole HP-IL idea was sorta like a cross between SCSI and USB, before USB existed.

Every bit of this is crazy science-fiction-come-true tech in 1984, and comically obsolete as gently caress today.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I was clearing out a lot of stuff in my mother's garage. Mostly my stuff.

Ended up taking some stuff to the thrift store at a church...

- Sanyo 19" flatscreen CRT from 2004 that I used in college. Actually really good picture quality for what it was and even had component inputs.
- Pioneer DVD player from 2004, also from college. Was my first player that could read CD-R/DVD-R/RW media.
- Pioneer front left/right speakers from my old home theater setup, as well as my dad's Sony DTS 6.1 ES receiver. I use a 5.1 soundbar setup for my apartment now, but those are some drat good speakers.
- My dad's subwoofer. I actually don't like having too much bass, so that monster doesn't have a place in my home theater.

Also found a box of Betamax tapes I rescued from the garbage at my high school, but forgot about for the last 15 years. Has a lot of PBS recordings, but also what appear to be some recorded plays and speakers. Looks like they did The Miracle Worker around 1978 and had a speaker named Mr. Dick Key give a talk about gas.

Just need to find a way to get these transferred since I'm curious on what's on these. I bet even the PBS tapes have some fascinating stuff.

Also found a few CEDs in reasonable shape.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Egbert Souse posted:

Also found a few CEDs in reasonable shape.

Oh Jesus, I needed a trigger warning or whatever the youngsters are calling it these days for that CED.

See, back in ‘82-‘83ish, I worked after school and weekends at Radio Shack, it was a sucky job but much better than the fast-food gigs that everybody else was stuck in.

The worst part of the job is that the manager had stocked a bunch of those lovely CED players that nobody wanted, and he required that one of them be playing at all times the store was open.

We had only two CED’s. Rocky II and...yeah. Singin’ In The Rain. I’ve probably seen SITR at least 200 times, maybe more. I hate musicals, and that one was particularly terrible. I’d have cheerfully slit Gene Kelly’s throat if it meant that movie never existed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Would you say that you...can't stand em?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

DicktheCat posted:

I'm old enough to know how to use a floppy, but young enough to not have that much experience with the big ones. 3.5" for me, baby.
Lol @ calling 5.25” floppies “the big ones”:

Also some great Atari 5200-vs.-ColecoVision console fanboying on there, for admirers of the genre.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

JnnyThndrs posted:

Oh Jesus, I needed a trigger warning or whatever the youngsters are calling it these days for that CED.

See, back in ‘82-‘83ish, I worked after school and weekends at Radio Shack, it was a sucky job but much better than the fast-food gigs that everybody else was stuck in.

The worst part of the job is that the manager had stocked a bunch of those lovely CED players that nobody wanted, and he required that one of them be playing at all times the store was open.

We had only two CED’s. Rocky II and...yeah. Singin’ In The Rain. I’ve probably seen SITR at least 200 times, maybe more. I hate musicals, and that one was particularly terrible. I’d have cheerfully slit Gene Kelly’s throat if it meant that movie never existed.

I am curious how well the video quality of those CEDs held up after than many playings.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Man i need to get my Onkyo A-10 fixed. One channel only blares loud grumbly noises at you and i have no idea where even to begin to fix it.
I don't strictly need a 20kg aluminium plated monstrosity in my living room but i do wan't one...

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I assume that's 8" then?

The only thing I know for sure is it's definitely, absolutely disk number two.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Also some great Atari 5200-vs.-ColecoVision console fanboying on there, for admirers of the genre.
No! TWO! :argh:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am curious how well the video quality of those CEDs held up after than many playings.

There was definitely a degradation of quality toward the end, but they didn’t look that great to begin with. Dunno if that was a result of bad video mastering, the format sucking to begin with, or the lovely TV we were playing it through.

I still think think the CED discs held up better than VHS would have, though.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

"\8=CHR$(1559.)"?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

uvar posted:

"\8=CHR$(1559.)"?

"155%"? "%" is the suffix for integer or something.

e: in BASIC

e2: Yes it means integer in Visual Basic .NET 2003, and also in IBM BASIC from the era of documentation in ring binders. It took so long to click through the tree in the MSDN documentation compared to just opening the binder and it opening to the exact page I needed :spooky:

e3: I don't know what \& means but CHR$(155%) will evaluate to "˘" on an old IBM PC, or even more modern systems in the default code page 437. I guess that is a good one to know, "$" is right there on the keyboard but who knows how to make "˘" without writing it down somewhere? Although I don't think 8" floppy drives were used with PCs so it might mean something completely different.

Buttcoin purse has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Jul 30, 2018

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
It’s DEC BASIC-PLUS. “\& = CHR$(155%)” means the sequence “\&” in a Global Mail file represents the ESC character with the high bit set, which is used (in place of the usual “ESC [“) to start a VT100 control command. It let you use cursor controls, graphic characters, LED controls, etc. in messages.

Edit: Basically so you could create this kind of thing:

https://youtu.be/-MbeSMu-6Gg

Lazlo Nibble has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Jul 30, 2018

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Lazlo Nibble posted:

This thread always makes me feel so young. I'm hitting thirty next year, so thanks!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lazlo Nibble posted:

It’s DEC BASIC-PLUS. “\& = CHR$(155%)” means the sequence “\&” in a Global Mail file represents the ESC character with the high bit set, which is used (in place of the usual “ESC [“) to start a VT100 control command. It let you use cursor controls, graphic characters, LED controls, etc. in messages.

Edit: Basically so you could create this kind of thing:

https://youtu.be/-MbeSMu-6Gg

I like that the animation got faster as the truck got more and more offscreen. Its mindblowing that even that computer was struggling to render that quickly

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like that the animation got faster as the truck got more and more offscreen. Its mindblowing that even that computer was struggling to render that quickly

It's not the computer struggling, it's the VT100. The terminal maxes out at 19200 bits per second, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were just using the more common 9600 bps rate. When there's more characters on the screen, that's more that has to go across the serial port.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on the above, but based on the "debian" in the prompt, I'd assume he's got this thing connected up to his relatively modern Linux box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ah, I missed that detail, I assumed it was a local monitor