Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I loved my 32x + sega cd combo. I had Night trap and Supreme Warrior. Loved FMV games. But I played doom and virtua fighter the most. Best system ever until playstation literally blew it the gently caress away. No regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

First time I played myst I was like "Fuckin sweet this game is gonna be intense as gently caress." So I started walking around and there was just this note on the ground and it was all "woah this poo poo is gonna be heavy and cerebral, I better keep this I'll probably need it."

"Wait what the gently caress. Why can't I shove this note into like a pocket? I can only read it and put it back where I found it? gently caress THIS"

and I turned it off and never played again. My uncle ended up getting way into it but had a lot of problems getting it to work on his laptop.

I seriously put like 7 minutes into that game then quit and never went back.

When was the first time you played this? When this game came out it was totally unique, to hell with retaining a huge inventory.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Walk down memory lane with some old radio shack circulars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rDlHKKcMFI&t=1302s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

:getin:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

what is the spinny thing on the thumb part?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Gonz posted:

I encountered these today. The thread subtitle is now complete.

check and see if they have some of those "dvd rewinders" nearby.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Colin McRae Rally was the killer app for the Sony Playstation home microcomputer system. I don't think I ever saw anyone play it on anything else.

Too soon, RIP Colin.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Holy moley, you rich. Bet you drove here in a Porsche 944.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

My mom replaced her dryer recently with something that may be for industrial/rental applications. The poo poo buzzes TWICE, super loving loudly. You cannot turn this off. It is horrifying.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I would drink a beer with that volvo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Found my atari lynx, and it's totally hosed :(

batteries from long ago totally swollen up in there, oh well I actually don't know where the game carts are, somehow the manuals survived but not the carts.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Goddamnit, I saw some site the other day with this guy's homemade audio room, it was covered in off angle wooden baffles, all his audio cables were EXTRA shielded with 2 inch thick outer wrapping, he had massive amps and speaker boxes, it looked like a mad science lab, lots of high power sources all with crazy home-brew shielding. It was awesome and I cannot find it.

e: still can't find it but the dude's stuff was all shielded like this:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Oct 2, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Lol paying any money for PS1 games in 2018, hell dimension indeed.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Well this is coming out:

Megawad by John Romero
Music by Buckethead!
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/john-romero-will-release-18-new-maps-for-dooms-25th-anniversary/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sigil, or Si666il

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

> get coffee cup
I don’t know what “get” is
> take coffee cup
I do not see a “coffee cup”
> take cup
I do not see a “cup”
> taek mug
I don’t know what “taek” is
> gently caress
I don’t know what “gently caress” is
> take mug
This is Todd’s mug, he will not let me take it
>

Use Communism
>You take a sip of cold potato water, it feels like home.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Inserted mouse for fps is the same. Imagine you have your hands on top of someone's head. To make them look up, you would pull your hands closer to your body. To make them look down, you move your hand away from your body.

At least for me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Had a rude, entitled customer call me because his computer wouldn’t come on. He was a big wig at one of our biggest clients and a total rear end. Said printer was on but computer wouldn’t power up. Asked him to verify that everything was plugged in, and he said it was. So I drop everything to make a visit to his house.

Sure enough everything was plugged in. He had plugged the printer into the wall, and the surge protector into itself. When I pointed out that the surge protector can’t power itself he got even ruder.

My boss wouldn’t even let me charge him for the visit. Dick.

:thermidor: is the only tech support solution

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

It all started with an etch-a-sketch

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I found this while looking for a different game's box art and I just feel like I need to leave this image somewhere.

holy poo poo is that Ben Pack?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Slippery posted:

tallguysfree...does one normally pay for tall guy pics??

oh weird, didnt notice that watermark
oh god, do not go to that site

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Both are insufferable idiots so sure

aw man, naw.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Remember Readyboost?

I tried it once on my workstation:

All of those drive were found in the parking lot.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

"Fisher Price" was the term I heard used to describe the default Windows XP theme, I thought that was quite fitting.

Classic theme was definitely much nicer:

(by the way, the Windows XP version of Space Cadet works fine under VirtualBox (edit: for me))

When I invested a bunch of time in setting up a system, I liked the Microsoft Zune theme:

I also liked this third-party theme which required the uxtheme.dll hack: https://www.deviantart.com/b0se/art/XPMC-RC3-20901820 Sometimes weird things would happen though, like various UI elements would stop rendering, so I stopped using it :(

oh snap, i'm off to play some truck dismount right now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Windows ME sucked dick, and I will die on this hill.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

I’ve kept almost all of my boxes and manuals. Haven’t bought a physical game since Fallout New Vegas

:kiss: those boxes are so pristine, how have you handled moving and stuff?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

And bandwidth was always bandwidth (source: worked at a bandwidth management company 1999-2006)

I love that band

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

How many more weeks till SA is the next on the chopping block?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

My first mp3 player was also a cd player. Was pretty great since the ipod was in gen 1 and only had 1gb of storage, this thing you get 600mb of mp3s on each disk and could just swap out cd's at any time. Only downside, it still would skip if you went running with the thing, I think it could buffer a full minute of music though.

later after having some ipods i got this mp3 player and it was dead simple and small and took miniSD cards.

e:
This was my first portable CD player, loved the clamping latch over the lid.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Apr 12, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

bring back zune!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Y'all haven't seen a reel to reel before?

Awesome find!

I just don't believe it's real.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Alf logic: Should I eat this house cat? Answer: Always Yes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Holy moley, in 2019 tyool, I had totally forgotten about angelfire until right now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I was in high school during the mid to late 90's, and we had a mishmash of different computers. The 2 dedicated computer labs were Mac Power PCs, and later upgraded to the beefed up iMacs with floppy drives.

Typing class room was stocked with nothing but IBM PS/2s.

The "computer technology" classrooms were full of Windows 95 PCs. Apparently someone got past security on that one by taking a text file that said only "CMD" and changed the file extension to .exe

There was also the office technology classroom/computer lab which was filled with both macs and Apple IIs. I used to wreak havoc in this room because the security on the computers was an extension called Fool Proof, and holding down Command and Option during bootup would disable extensions.

I'm also pretty sure I took the last BASIC course there on those Apple IIs, I was always getting scolded because I would add extra functionality to the programs I was supposed to make. That particular teacher was just a wet blanket on everything.

Took PC building in 1997, we were unofficially rebuilding computers for the school district, free labor and such. But the best thing ever happened. My school was pretty new and somehow had a whole cold-room with large servers. They gave some kids in the PC-building 2 class admin access to this, I'm assuming because they thought nothing bad could happen. One day, the most unassuming kid I knew, who had admin access, went into class and nuked the servers. Just flat out nuked everything. The kid was expelled, no-one heard from him again. For 2 weeks after that, ever computer class just did nothing. I was also in Autocad at the time, and we were told to just play on paint for the week, that the servers were busted and nothing could be done until we were back online. I always wished I had the opportunity to thank that kid for his service.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

For my Computer technology class, we didn't even get to use AutoCad, it was AutoSketch, and for the height of comedy for some reason was renaming it to "AutoSketeh"

Lol nice. One time in MSOffice class I deleted system32 at the end of the period. A few days later the teacher caught me in the hall and confronted me, "Now I don't want to say you did something but did you happen to notice the computer you were on was not working properly, or did you happen to do something that might have caused it to stop working?" "Oh no way, I would never do anything like that, not me" :D Good times.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I can feel the load times through the screen. People don't even remember the pain of old school computing, waiting waiting waiting then disc failures.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

FF rules

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Now I want to live in a world where everyone talks through a vocoder, at all times.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

69 CHUNKS, NICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Anyone notice old Sony Remote Controls all have a loop for a lanyard? Pictured is PS2 Media Remote, PS3 Media Remote and Muteki AV receiver:

I've only EVER seen/noticed it with Sony stuff.

Every japanese phone and electronic before about 2008 had these, including nintendo products. Once the iphone/smart phones came out it died off because they used cases that may or may not have a slot, and the market largely collapsed...it makes me super sad cause they were hilarious. You would see men/women young and old with a dozen little cute bobbles hanging off their phones.

https://strapya-world.com/collections/straps

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Oct 8, 2019