Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

barbecue at the folks posted:

Some techies were trying to push electronic voting from home in Finland, too, but the recent problems with election interference from some unnamed parties have put that particular discussion to bed for now. You can't forge paper slips as easily as you can break into a badly secured voting system, and we all know that they're gonna have some "unforeseen" security flaws in them. Nordic countries having perfect residential rolls from 17th century onwards of course plays a role, too.

Voting from home is a dumb idea because one of the central tenants of voting is that you are alone and by yourself when you vote so it's impossible for anyone to influence your decision in that moment. Once you take away at-home voting as an idea, switching from paper to electronic voting is 900x more stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Ein posted:

Vote from your phone while taking a poo poo, problem solved.

lmao if you don't believe that there is a large amount of Republican dads out there that would kick down the door to the bathroom while their adult children are poo poo-voting to ensure they vote for Trump

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

electronic voting being hackable isn't really any worse than the current system where they throw away your ballot after you leave because you aren't white

When I vote where I am you get a unmarked ballot, verify it is unmarked with the person that gave it to you, go into the little cardboard booth and mark your vote. Then it folds back up in a specific way and you and you only put it into a locked box that is not to be tampered with or unlocked until all voting has been done. I don't know how places screw up paper voting but there you go.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

My school had one of these things that we all used for projects and field trips, owned.

Cause no one posted the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nu6C-Ci7_Q

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

My mom replaced her dryer recently with something that may be for industrial/rental applications. The poo poo buzzes TWICE, super loving loudly. You cannot turn this off. It is horrifying.

My old house came with a natural gas dryer that was labelled for "Commercial Use". It had this incredibly loud buzzer I could hear from outside in the garage. You had to be really care because while it could dry clothes in 10 minutes flat it would shrink anything immediately.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

The DirectTV piracy was a whole different story. They were broadcasting using an encrypted signal from the start, but relied on a 'decryption card' that was unique to each user to control what channels a user could watch, which could be reprogrammed remotely using signed commands. A group of 'hackers' kept finding flaws in the way this card was programmed and secured, and released tools that would let you unlock your card if you bought some interface hardware to plug the card into a PC (an ISO7816 reader, which is still the standard for Smartcards). DirectTV would update the card, and hackers would release updated tools, and it went back and forth for a number of years. It turned out, however, that the company that owned DirectTV's competitor, Dish Network, was quietly funding these 'hackers' in order to drive down DirectTV's profits and make them a takeover target. This all ended up in court, a whole bunch of fallout happened, and the 'hackers' lost funding and new hacks stopped appearing, though existing ones sort of still worked, as the card had been so thoroughly reverse engineered it was now impossible to lock up again. DirectTV took the simple, but expensive, solution to just replace every subscribers card with a new model, and then stopped using the encryption method the old card could decode. Without a dedicated group, nobody could break the new card, and the days of free DirectTV mostly came to an end.

My dad bought a DirecTV setup back in the day because American TV had way more content than Canadian Cable and there was no easy way to get it legally. He started out by taking the card to someone to get reprogrammed when the satellite when down and eventually bought a card reader from the guy and he would just email my dad the codes whenever the thing stopped working. I would reprogram the card for my dad and eventually learned the parental lock code was stored on the card so I could learn/remove the code and watch adult content when my parents weren't home. I remember the Black Sunday thing pretty vividly because we were both excited to watch the Super Bowl with the American commercials instead of the simsubbed Canadian broadcasts and the whole thing was off for like a month. Eventually it came back for a bit then DirecTV replaced all the H/HU access cards with P4 cards and you couldn't get your computer to recognized those without some expensive hardware so he gave up.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CDs were an awful mobile music format

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Had friends with external cd players in their car, which were discmans on a bouncy sort of arm, like a steadicam mount for the cd player.

I remember my sister bought one of those tapes with an aux cable coming out of it and plugged it into her discman so she could play cds in her car and it skipped on every bump in the road

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

My favourite discovery in High School was learning that they only blocked applications running by filename. If you renamed an emulator to 'notepad.exe' it would run without a hitch. Netplay even worked over the school network.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

My elemantary school computer lab was all some version of those old white Power Macs that sucked poo poo for like the first few years in school. They upgraded the computer lab to Bondi Blue iMac G3s in 2000 or so, those at least worked. They dumped 1 old PowerMac in each classroom as a spare computer. This was also the time when you needed to bring a floppy disc with you as part of your school supplies because our school was too cheap for any network storage.

In High School and University everything was Windows for me at least. My wife had to buy her own MacBook when she went to Media/Journalism school because every program they use is Mac-based.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Steve Jobs had a lot of hobbies

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I remember an old program on Macs that we did a ton of schoolwork on back in like 97-2000. It was kind of like Powerpoint where you had slides and could add buttons to jump around to different slides. It had canned clipart, wipe effects and sounds as well. We used to just use it to make CYOA things. Does anyone remember that?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hypercard? It was out well before those years, but could be described like that.

edit: Worthnoting, the inventor of hypercard was *this* close to inventing the web. He had the hyperlinks, but they just switched between local cards in the deck.

edit the second: On the version of hypercard that used to ship with macs, functionality was limited because they wanted you to buy it. But if you typed MAGIC on one of the cards in the demo deck, it unlocked all of the tools.

Cojawfee posted:

Was it Hypercard? I don't know if it was that, but we had what you described on the school computers. It was fun as hell.

Yup it was Hypercard, it was strangely addicting to play around with as a kid, although looking at it now it looks like it could have done a lot more then what we were doing with it. It came out way before but our school was still using old Macs until the school board found some change in the cushions to buy iMacs in like 2001

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Bargearse posted:

Latest addition to the computer room right here

The Sharp PC-4741, a PC XT compatible laptop from 1990. Comes with a blazing fast 10MHz NEC V20, 640K RAM, 40MB hard drive, single 1.44MB floppy drive, CGA compatible monochrome LCD display, carry handle, and a really heavy lead acid battery. It's in great condition, looks like it's hardly been used. Probably used two or three times then sat in a storeroom for decades.

A modem card, second floppy drive and external composite video output were available as optional extras. This one didn't have any of those, as it would have added several hundred dollars to the $3,995.00 USD retail price, which when adjusted for inflation comes out to $7,842.00 USD, which gives you an idea of just how much cheaper modern computer hardware is.

Hah, my parents had one of these when I was a kid. I couldn't for the life of me the brand or anything, but I specifically remember the sticker that said "Blazing fast 40mb hard drive". I used it to play Jill of the Jungle and Word Rescue.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I miss when Blackberries were good for like a year and a half

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

imagine the conundrum of getting sent endless amounts of old tech poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YzwTRCDLWg
as a minimalist, this would be a total nightmare/would all go into the dumpster immediately.

I hated Macs as a kid but I always loved the look of the G4 tower, very jealous that he just got sent one for free

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

Are safety broadcasts are close to being relics? The last TV my parents bought didn't have any sort of built in tuner, and I didn't have anything to receive over the air broadcasts until I got a portable AM/FM radio a while back specifically for listening to local weather alerts and news. Cars still have radios, but everyone I know with a car listens to their phone instead of FM.

It doesn't seem like there's a good replacement for them, either. My phone is supposed to receive emergency alerts, but it's never once shown me one even as tornados rolled through.

I live in a high tornado area in Canada and we got a ton of TV alerts this past summer. I think they were being pushed through the cable box though, I don't know if I would have got the same OTA.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Isn't Windows 10 getting an official Android emulator soon?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I remember finding an old CRT monitor on someones curb as a free item and very carefully balancing the thing on my bikes handlebars to bring it home so I could hookup my families old pentium computer in my room to play games

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Bargearse posted:

It's been way too long since I've had something to contribute but all that changes right now

Presenting the Sharp PC-4700, an XT class laptop from 1989. I found this while cleaning up a server room at a school I once worked at.

My parents had this exact laptop when I was a kid, they might actually still have it stored in their basement somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Origin posted:

One of my former bosses had her terminal font set to the Windows Script font and the terminal colors to pink text on blue. She also got fired for yelling at her subordinates and throwing office items at them when angry.

The last two companies I worked for both had ancient data servers storing all their backend data with more modern terminal emulators used to access those servers. There was some real eye-searing combinations that people set in those emulators.