Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I had the same thing happen to me when I attempted to install several floppy disk games on a school computer.

Floppy disk games that were obtained from Independence Day toys.

Gonz has a new favorite as of 17:36 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

In other news, I just finished reading this entire thread over the span of a week or so, and it's probably one of the best i've seen on SA in ages. So much wonderful, intricate nostalgia.

You magnificent bastards, you. It makes me want to play Gauntlet on a Commodore 64 again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Yeah, Animation Factory? I need a GIF of a UFO hovering above a guy who has been hogtied in the middle of a street with a cloth sack over his head!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

This is exactly how it worked, actually.

Oh, i'm definitely listening to this when I get home.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Moms.......ON THE NET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTGOw7GcY4

(Warning: This video contains an unusual amount of 1990's; discuss this video with your doctor if unsure before viewing)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

On your mark, get set...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBTsFZGzoho

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Logitech still makes absurdly overpriced universal remotes (which apparently control everything that has electricity running through it in your home)

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I recall getting a Voodoo 2 installed in my Gateway desktop and then running a graphical benchmark for Quake 2 on it's highest settings, and was positive that things would never get better than that.

That said, at the time, it was pretty fuckin' rad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

They need to re-release a high-res version of CATZ and/or DOGZ.

Just have virtual animals passively goofing around on your desktop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Did somebody mention floppy disks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

OH GOD THE HORDE.

I can still hear the echoes of "None shall pass!" in my head.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I don't get it, wasn't a VCR also a VHS rewinder?

Technically, but the dedicated rewinders were able to rewind a tape much, much faster than a VCR was. They were very prevalent at rental stores like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Oh yeah I know about their use in rental stores but I don't understand personal ownership of one unless you're so serious about watching movies that you don't want to spare a minute to rewind before starting your next film.

That's basically what I used mine for. As soon as I was done with a movie, it went right in the rewinder and then back on the shelf so I didn't have to bother with it next time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I got drunk last week and watched The Who's Tommy on my cell phone.

Wonderous times we live in, gents.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I no longer own a VCR, but I still have something like 24 hours worth of 9/11 CNN/Fox News/ABC/CBS footage on a handful of long play VHS tapes (I figured it was a pretty major historical moment, and I had a bunch of empty tapes laying around that I used for monthly wrestling PPV's, so I just recorded various channels until I ran out of blank tapes; each tape was a different network.)

I wonder how much that'd cost for digital transfer, for posterity's sake?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Skoll posted:

Unless you want to do it yourself, a lot. It would be cheaper to just get the equipment yourself than pay someone to transfer all that poo poo.

I've been browsing around online regarding the financial aspect of doing this, and yeah, you're absolutely right. I'd probably just be better off doing it myself. That might be a project I put forth later this year.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I had one shaped like Tim Burton's Batmobile. It was boss as hell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I was always insanely good at Magic Eye posters. Took me about 2-3 seconds to see each one. It pissed off everybody.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I remember Blockbuster would have lovely summarized instructions on the inside of the case

It was like "we don't trust you to return the manual, so here's what the buttons do - lol if you need anymore help than that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3xuy5YALl0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I loved Descent, but Forsaken was also kinda rad. Especially if you had good GPUs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZ1V6DnXQY

Edit: I remember getting it for my birthday in '98, along with THIS THING. I wasn't even sure what the hell it was at first, but once you got the hang of it, it was really cool.

Gonz has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Aug 13, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The state of Personal Computers, nearly 11,000 days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ce3XUTt3W0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Today I learned that there once existed an Xbox 360 HD port of Goldeneye 007 that was set to be released for purchase on the Xbox Live Arcade.

And now i'm bummed I never got to play it. Goldeneye Source is one thing, but this was the entire game, not just multiplayer aspects of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRuhviJGMQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah, but that's just multiplayer.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Excellent post; those videos are really good and informative.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh man, those tiny nixie tubes and that tuning knob. Perfect.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Earlier tonight, I went to a huge arcade complex that just opened up a few weeks ago, and they've got all sorts of classic games in cabinets that look like they've been professionally restored.

Also, TONS of pinball machines, both old and new:

Including a Bally Star Trek machine from 1979, which was awesome because today was Star Trek's 50th anniversary:

They even had an Asteroids machine:

There was a Millipede, Battlezone, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and a Missile Command nearby, too. I'm definitely going back there this weekend.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Oh my god where is this, I need that much pinball in my life

http://tiltstudio.com/locations/tempe-az/

It was Deadsville when I went tonight, but that has a lot to do with the fact that:

A.) The mall was about to close.

and

B.) The manager said they do most of their business on the weekend.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I think it'll do well. It replaced a Gameworks that was absolutely terrible and was there for eons. A Gameworks where over 75% of the games were ticket machines and all the old machines were decrepit as gently caress.

This new place seems like they've got a healthy mix of retro games, new games and ticket games. It's also laid out a hell of a lot better than Gameworks was, and they've got a nice bar. It's a family place, so there's no Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter games, but if there were, i'd seriously considering moving into the building and living there. They picked a great location for it, too. It's right next to a massive Harkins IMAX theater complex, as well as a remodeled food court. They're gonna do gangbusters, I think.

EDIT: Just found this walkthrough on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dJvJQpU5A

Gonz has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Sep 9, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Are you sure this wasn't an alternate dimension? I was positive that Radio Shack went under a few years back.

EDIT: Oh poo poo. The internet just told me the following:

quote:

In December 2015 RadioShack named Nick Cannon as its Chief Creative Officer in an attempt to appeal to younger generations.

:psyduck:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Speaking of Nintendo circa 1991, anyone else ever shop for video games at Toys R' Us? I remember they would have like the box art or something for games/systems, with a little pouch full of cards underneath. Instead of actually picking up the game/system, you'd bring the card for what you wanted to the register, pay for it, and then after the registers, there was a little bodega-looking enclosed counter where someone would check your receipt, then give you the game.

I guess that's kind of how Gamestop does it these days, except not as lovely since you still ended up with the sealed game instead of an already-opened copy that's been sitting in a paper sleeve in a drawer.

Yep, that was standard operating procedure for Toys 'R Us videogame stuff at the time. I remember going there once to get Super Metroid, and the pricetag had a typo on it. It said the game was 999 dollars. I was 10 years old at the time and was crestfallen.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_E2lh1lgmk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

And of course smelling the instruction book on the ride home.

Realtalk: I desperately miss physical instruction books. And yeah, that smell was fantabulous as a child.

I understand why they phased out the paper instructions, but memorizing the whole thing while sitting on the toilet used to help me become better at the game.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'm 90% positive I still have several of those Intel bunny men plushes somewhere in a bin in the garage. A yellow and a blue one. I haven't seen them in almost 20 years.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Last Chance posted:

This is what my dad had (he was a game copying enthusiast going way back), but it was a bit later on I think:

I had a Iomega Zip Drive at some point. It was terrible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My first USB drive was 8 MB. That was in...1998? I think?

Last Christmas, my brother got me a 128 gigabyte USB drive as a stocking stuffer.

TECHNOLOGY.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

thathonkey posted:

i don't know which technology came out first for PCs but before CD-R/W was ubiquitous Iomega Zip wasn't that bad in an ignorance-is-bliss type of situation given that the next best thing was 3.5" floppy. and this was all well before USB flash drives of course.

i still have an old piece of music recording equipment i use to dick around with that takes zip disks as its storage medium. i got like a hundred of them at a pawn shop for $5.

That's a fancy nuclear football ya got there, thathonkey.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

shoophobo posted:

Sony AIR-7
My dad has one of these, it's fantastic. It's made of that typical Sony plastic which is pretty much indestructible. It's heavy and feels like an old military walkie talkie, including its long whip antenna which is rubber and floppy.
The knobs pop up to be adjusted, then back in so you don't accidentally change it.

It looks like something you'd call in an airstrike with in the 1980s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Nintendo Playstation and N64 DD protoype models? gently caress yeah.