Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thathonkey posted:

all image macros are memes

I just made three image macros in MS Paint and then deleted them. Were they memes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

The issue with that is the same issue with modern DRM - the false positives are much worse than the false negatives.

There was a shooter released around 2000 I think that would silently degrade your character so that it was impossible to win if it detected piracy. The issue was that enough people pirated it that they thought it was just a lovely game, and so the game wasn't that successful.

There was a game (I'm thinking 80s) where it would delete a character from the diskette every time you died. I don't know what would have happened if you ran out of player characters :shrug:

e: This wasn't copy-protection. It would do that with legal copies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mad Monk posted:

Anyone remember when HP actually made a half way decent computer

No.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

About 10-12 years ago, someone in the game industry (I want to say Peter Molyneux, but I'm not 100% sure) said something about disliking how people don't read the instructions to a game before they start playing it, leading them to make a lot of bad criticisms and bad playing habits. I don't know if they were serious or not, but whoever it was said something like if they could make a game that you only had a single life in, and once you died, you had to buy it again, they would. The logic being something like that people would be forced to understand how to play the game before they even tried it, they'd spend time reading the manual, understanding the mechanics, paying attention to tutorial levels until you were 100% certain on how to play, etc.

Molyneux is one of the worst game designers ever. If it weren't for the spectrum, he would've been out of the business a long time ago.

e: Yeah sure Syndicate and Fable were playable but they're the odd men out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If Molyneux had had modern resources when he made Populous, it probably would've sucked.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a happy snowman posted:

Impossible Mission on the C64. gently caress I hated that decryption puzzle.

I bought it for the Sony Playstation 2 home computer system and now that I have a Manuel and actually know what the gently caress I'm supposed to do, unlike back in the Commodore 64 days, it's very good actually.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ColoradoCleric posted:

I divide our generations of children into groups on whether or not they used torrents or mirc for pirating

Same but compact cassettes or BBSes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of internet relics, I bought a second-hand calculator today and went in search of software for it:

http://casiomaniac69.tripod.com

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Oh man,I had one of those in High School. It seemed superior to the TI 86 or whatever was popular at the time, and I remember finding the multi color display useful on sine waves for some reason.

I just bought it to average my blood pressure measurements twice a day. I guess I could actually write a program to store the values and... draw a completely pointless graph. My Omron only holds 30 values.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

That stuff sounds great, kind of like how I used to hear about how powerful OS/2 was, but I stuck to Windows and hooray, Windows won :negative:

OS/2 Warp was way better than DOS at running DOS games because you got more free base memoryhen :henget:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

:argh: The smilies thread fails to explain that smiley :argh:

So I assume OS/2 Warp provided a virtual sound card to your game, like Windows XP didn't unless you installed VDMSound?

Huh? Why would it need to be virtual?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hackbunny posted:

because DOS games had their own built-in sound drivers and a protected memory OS presumably wouldn't let its processes access hardware directly

Can't really remember, I was a stupid teen and everything just worked :shrug:

e: "Unlike Windows NT, OS/2 also always gave DOS programs the possibility of masking real hardware interrupts, so any DOS program could deadlock the machine this way." :mrwhite:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Feb 15, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paying for a game (albeit less than the price of buying the game) without a manual? That's just dumb :smugmrgw:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Kins posted:

I remember hearing a story that IBM's customer support department, set up and trained to help multi-million dollar corporations with their IT stuff, was completely unprepared and ill-equipped for home users calling and asking about how to get DOS Doom 2 working with sound in OS/2, causing a whole lot of problems. :haw:

I guess it was Warp 4 then that came with ready-made config files for like 40000 DOS games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I knew something was up with my then-gf's PC when an mp3 playing would stutter as I scrolled through any given website.

Oh she was using Linux?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

There was a kid in my homeroom in high school who called them T-180s. I said "It's TI-83, because it's Texas Instruments." He replied with "I like to call it T-180." Ok, dude.

There's always that one kid who pronounces stuff :wrong: and will try to start a fight if you correct them (so of course you correct them because fights are fun* yay fights). Like how do you decide that Megatron is actually Megatram, what is your brain doing?

*) When you're six.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mad Monk posted:

You should try carrying that stuff through an airport in the U.S.

As long as it isn't taped to your junk they don't care because all they look at is your junk because they want to see your junk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AA is for Quitters posted:

The death of the desktop pc.

This myth is a relic but won't go away. The desktop has been dead for the past 20 or so years yet full-size keyboards and mice sell really really well for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Feb 17, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unless, of course, you consider desktop computer a form factor instead of a use case which is kind of stupid since there is hell of variation in computers meant for desktop use only anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nonviolent J posted:

lol desktops havent been dead for 20 years, laptops were rare until maybe 8 years ago

Do I really have to dig up my old computer magazines from 20 years ago that clearly say "the desktop computer is dead long live [whatever poo poo du jour]"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

The desktop PC is dead! By that, we mean horizontal cases with monitors sitting on top of them. Or as people used to call them, "the CPU" or "the hard disk".

One kid called it "the Nintendo" but then he was a bit touched.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

The tarzan thing wasn't so bad for me, but gently caress that man-eating plant with the vines you have to maneuver through (twice) to get those berries.

Wasn't too bad when you turned the walking speed down, but not exactly exhilarating gameplay.

:lol: if you didn't turn the speed down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

Also wash hands throughly after contact with the battery gunk and dispose of the battery properly, that stuff is pretty bad for you. Ni/Cd Batteries are forbidden in most electronics in europe at least for good reason.

I would say wear thick nitrile* gloves. And wash your hands anyway because cleanliness is next to goonliness.

*) Or other appropriate material, nitrile is what I've got so that's what I use.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

itsgotmetoo posted:

i used to pirate games off of bbs servers

edit: i don't even know if server is correct here. bbs numbers? bbs systems?

BBSs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

itsgotmetoo posted:

bbs systems?

:gary::wrong: Fingeredtriggered so hard right now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

itsgotmetoo posted:

i see what i did, but idgaf

I'm gangsta, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If this system had telnet or something I'd check to see if bbbs.net is still up (I'd wager it is) and what files are available there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last Chance posted:

this was king

"ACTUAL SIZE"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Franz posted:

Oh yes, and since Apple built a whole advertising campaign around the idea that "Macs don't crash" they had no reset button on them. When they did crash, and they crashed a lot, you had to crawl under the desk and pull the plug because the power button was a soft button and didn't work if the whole thing was frozen.

So Mac users were too stupid to buy a two-dollar switch to go between the outlet and the plug? You can operate a switch with your foot. LIFE HACK

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UIApplication posted:

What's your deal with hating apple/mac users? It's like you're an autistic time traveler nobody invited

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I didn't go to a school for criminals so no-one stole the balls :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Uh, finding out those balls could be taken out and stolen was a 90's kid rite-of-passage. They used to trade them at recess for pokemon cards.

So were you a crip or a blood?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah son, I traded floppies.

You know I'm rather gangsta myself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

What do people do with cmputers besides play games and type things into various office products and surf the inteernet?

Beeps and boops.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I never really hit it off with Sbaitso. Now, the parrot; the parrot I can relate to.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

The problem with that is a lot of hotels go out of their way to lock you out of plugging your own devices to their tvs.

One reason hotel TVs (at least around here) don't really have standard inputs is that they're less likely to get stolen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Where do you live that hotels have TVs stole regularly? You have to have a credit card on file.

Credit card? Credit is for poor people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thathonkey posted:

handles on computers you say?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have TWO bongo controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010