Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I think that the particle accellerator style cable holders take the cake for maximum audiophile, i would bet that the insane man/woman behind that thing spent months calculating the perfect radius for the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just in case somebody wanted to know... A win OEM 7/8/8.1 key will activate a new clean install but will only accept the key as a manual post-install key insertion ("change my key"), same with windows 7/8/8.1 retail(if you plan to use automation with powershell after a zerotouch install to activate those keys, you cannot)... Only a OEM windows 10 key will install and activate with no user interaction required(like a zerotouch reinstall).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Maybe it's a localized version issue, our hp OEM codes will never activate if we do the key entry on install(win 7) or if we attempt to have it read from bios(win8.x). 🤷‍♂️

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
DAB not only still exist in Europe but it’s illegal to sell fm radios without DAB support, which lead to Samsung and others to disable radio apps in firmware to avoid fines

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it by the same devs who make ace combat? That font sure is the same to my eye

It’s a trippy mess from an unrelated developer, I remember a lets play which showed the insanity of the game but I cannot find it…

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It’s old SA lore, some goon trying to score points on some chick by carrying his printer to her and failing miserably.

SlowBloke has a new favorite as of 20:41 on May 17, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Funnily enough this fragmentation will lead to aggregators of content coming back, ISP are having a ball being able sell a plafond of streaming services at bulk rates with a minimal discount applied to their customers

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Humphreys posted:

Rebirth was discontinued and Propellerheads made it 100% free, so time to relive your youth!

Shame the download site got nuked and now it redirects to reason homepage, archive seems to have saved the isos if you want to spin up a vm and try it out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also in the box was this trackball. I had no idea they became optical in the later years, I assumed it would be like a ball mouse, with rollers inside, but no, there is a laser sensor in there.

That is my office daily driver, salvaged from a box of ewaste since it was “unwieldy” to the rest of the staff. They are decent but they tend to get stuffed full of lint and dust in the ball cradle.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Qwijib0 posted:

Relic status-- questionable.

That kit is current regional tv studio level. Some of my local tv stations broadcasts in 576i which is less of what those sdi inputs allow.

Edit: a summary search with a freeze frame of the rear of that tricaster identifies it as a early 8000/860 series (early units had usb2.0 only like the one in the video, later builds had some usb3.0)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Standard def video is a tech relic

That thing can handle full hd

SlowBloke has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Apr 20, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lowen SoDium posted:

It would totally handle hd video, 1080p if I remember right.

Spec sheet from newtek says 1080/30p or 1080/60i which is perfectly fine for tv broadcasting. 1080/60p is a relative rarity on terrestrial/satellite tv feeds.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Continuing my struggle journey with the imac G4. Now I cant get install CD's to burn in a way where the system folder is "blessed" and it recognizes it as a Mac OS system folder. I found ISO copies of the original imac G4 restore discs online, but when I burn them the machine just sees normal folders on the CD and will not boot from it.

I've been burning them in os x 10.5 with Toast Titanium. I have also tried mounting them and burning them with Disk Utility with the same results

Am I doing something wrong here?

If you have a spare rpi zero you could try jerry rig a virtual cd emulator with https://github.com/tjmnmk/gadget_cdrom , maybe the way you burned the disc made it slightly different so the system is no longer recognizing as bootable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bargearse posted:

Yep. At least if you've got a 365 tenant, you've got the option of bringing the problem up with a Microsoft partner, and if they're stumped they can speak with an actual engineer. There's an actual escalation process in place.

Source: I work for a Microsoft 365 partner oh god please send help and / or booze

We know our 365 partner is rubbish so we always jump them and go straight to microsoft.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I do still remember wing commander prophecy, not because it was a good game(it was average) but because it used a stupid strong retention force on discs in the disk box, meaning that every other chapter you needed to swap discs and you had a 50/50 chance of jettison the disk on the wall at supersonic speed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

If it did support two player with the nearby seat, that would be the best inflight entertainment ever.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

snorch posted:

On a train through Italy:

Never Change a Running System.

That's a late 200x kit (TSF stopped existing in 2010). Press snippet -> https://www.almaviva.it/it_IT/news/show-news?id=c5fb4dc3-4487-49f8-a59c-b6587f0e2ae1
Current onboard screens no longer have exterior branding.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Computer viking posted:

Huh, I'm not an electrical engineer (like, at all), but I'd have assumed you'd do something funky with a capacitor for that. I guess stacking NOT gates is easier if they're a standard component you can just plonk in there?

Using logic IC will produce reliable and repeteable results, while discrete components output can float depending on stock quality. It was one of the first things i got teached at electronics school when dealing with real signal projects outside of electronics workbench/multisim :science:

Edit: beaten

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think i have never seen a debit card here (Europe-Italy) which allowed to do overdraw, only the credit cards. Also offline magstripes would not run and fail the transaction.
Since e-shopping exploded, credit cards have become far more common albeit in a different way from ye olde times, the old cards were mostly on a delayed payment basis with interest, most current ones are instant pay without.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Veotax posted:

I'm in the UK and my bank would let me over draw, with a hefty fine for doing so, on my Visa Debit.

Just the other week my bank swapped over to a Master Card debit card for some reason. Pretty annoying honestly, had to change my billing information everywhere.

Nowadays Mastercard is pretty much the norm for every bank in Italy, VISA or even AMEX is a novelty, kept only until the card is renewed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Win 7 was like 10gb installed clean what the gently caress were you even going to put on that

Those disk sizes were for POS and other terminals with a barebone linux or dos. You usually purchase SATADOM in 8-16-32g sizes for those task nowadays.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

legooolas posted:

Today I discovered one of the reasons it seems to have become a lot harder to get any tech relics in the UK/EU : Anything which counts as electronic waste and was manufactured before 2009 counts (since a rule change in 2019) as hazardous waste and registered WEEE handling companies have to send it for incineration :o

Sorry but no, EU ewaste rules demand an active effort to recycle before burning. So any metal or plastic has to be harvested before final materiel destruction.

The biggest reason for relatively recent materiel being hard to find is that since 2009 every member state will have to let consumers drop off whatever product they are going to replace with a more modern one at each point of sale so it's more convenient dropping the old parts at the store than filling consumer storage rooms with legacy equipment.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

legooolas posted:

I was just going on what I was told by our workplace contracted recyclers, when I asked if older kit would be possible for them to refurb and resell, and they also pointed at this :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dispose-of-waste-containing-persistent-organic-pollutants-pops

..which does also say about metal recovery, but that PCBs, plastic etc from before 2009 which they can't prove to have below certain levels of the listed chemicals have to be destroyed (apparently commonly by incineration).

Absolutely seems like a poor policy when people will literally pay them to keep these things out of being waste.

I suspect that at $workplace the very old hardware will just be kept so long as there is space, in the hope that future rules allow it not to be destroyed (or it can be proven to be below the chemical concentration limits)

Keep in mind that PCB(chemical) and PCB(part) are two different things. Electronic boards, unless treated with special coatings, are not considered special chemical waste to burned on the spot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

strtj posted:

Wow. I used to admin a whole rack of dual PIII machines but didn't realize that anyone had ever gotten up to four CPUs in one chassis. That must have been ridiculously expensive and the bus contention was probably pretty rough if it was running flat out.

4way servers still exists for niche purposes(like business software licensed per server rather than socket or core).
https://youtu.be/xLsMlVpF2ao

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a dual g5 Xserve and it needs a PCI-X (note that this is different from pci express) video card to display video, which it doesn’t have, and every time I think of firing it up I remember this fact and then just leave it be

Are you sure about that? Most PCI-X servers (at least HP and Dell) i have worked on have the extra pins on a open connector which will begrudgingly accept PCI.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Raluek posted:

the main thing is the voltage

i dont remember which the G5 PCI-X slots are but i have a hazy memory of it being inconvenient

Every ATI Rage i can hunt down on eBay is a universal 32 bit card, which accepts both voltage. A sizable amount of them comes from servers without iKVM so i think they should work fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

quote:

The company would have gone bankrupt had not the Government, in the shape of the National Economic Board, stepped in to prop it up with subsidies and, eventually, direct management. Sinclair seems to have accepted state involvement only grudgingly and plainly did not enjoy the experience. In the 1980s, Margaret Thatcher's government - of which Sinclair was an ardent supporter and from which he gained his knighthood - abolished the NEB. Although Sinclair very probably approved of this on ideological grounds, the NEB's demise removed his safety net. The next time his company tottered under the strain of another disastrously botched product (in this case, the C5), Sinclair had no option but to sell it to an arch-rival, Amstrad.

British entrepreneur gonna be British.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What happened? I saw a bunch of old apple rack mount stuff at work but it was old enough nobody knew the history of why we used it and why we moved away.

Mass investment in cloud services made the local nodes paradigm obsolete plus server support contracts are harder than your average "drop your apple stuff to the genius bar and pray for the best" so they killed the product line.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

A tech relic I wish I could find at a reasonable price: a standalone CD/DVD printer or title printer. The actual gently caress is with the prices on these things

Go on ebay and search a working Canon PIXMA iP4600, it's in the 20-40€ range. We used one in our office for years and it worked fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I repeat, what in the actual gently caress is going on with printer prices

New one on Amazon is $499

Good christ, what the hell happened to the us market, you might as well get a professional primera duplicator with that budget.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gonz posted:

I just found out that in 2008, Alienware made a 49” widescreen CRT monitor that featured a 2880x900 resolution and a 0.02ms response time.

It sold for $8,000.

:stare:

That's not as impressive as big bertha res-wise, given the 2008 vintage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

It also looks washed out as hell.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

F4rt5 posted:

And if someone knows where I can find a midi of a dueling guitar boss battle metal thing it starts with drums and some heavy riffs and was called something like «battle for the end of humanity» or something like that 😅

The only title that rings a bell is "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" from the kill bill score or "History's Greatest Decisive Battle" from the giant robo score.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Humphreys posted:

Was it them or Google that did it where the truck trailers are actualyl connected directly and moved around and then dock as expanded storage whereever needed?

AWS Snowmobile is a containerized data center(filled with mostly storage arrays and a bit of compute to manage ingest). The container part is done by VertiV (https://www.vertiv.com/en-asia/solutions/prefabricated-data-center/) and is reselled by HPE or Dell, it costs a pretty penny(milion euro range). If you need to start from scratch, doing container modules is cheaper than build your own(OVH attempted to make a container pile as a datacenter but it burned down due to ghetto wiring).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pham Nuwen posted:

To quote Hunter S Thompson, "once you get locked into a serious home network setup the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

Anyway it's a lot of boxes on the diagram but like 50% of it is the same consumer devices most people have (game consoles, TV, chromecast, tablets) and the majority of the rest are virtual machines inside a couple U worth of servers.

If I wasn't renting I'd probably set up a network closet with a patch panel and managed switches myself, because I would like to banish the Roku and other garbage to some other VLAN, mirror traffic out for Zeek/netflow, etc.

Someone that keeps multiple brands and model of access points in the same household/office should not be trusted. Especially if it's an old linksys with openwrt.

SlowBloke has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Aug 5, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dip Viscous posted:

I badly need a huge poster of that image at the beginning.

Do you hate sleeping that much?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Data Graham posted:

I remember when my friends would whisper the name ~MATROX MILLENNIUM~ in hushed tones, like it was the impossible holy-grail component that nobody could afford but if you somehow got one your computing experience would be TO THE MOON

That couple of generation of cards had an addon kit to get video in/out which was the main tool used to make camrips, it had pro grade chips and it could pretty much remove any video noise/artefacts.

namlosh posted:

After they fell behind in the general GPU, they leaned hard into the multiple monitor space. Traders used to have a bunch of them in there 6 monitor setups

They now use intel and amd cards with modded drivers, they stopped making their own cards a few years back.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Desert Bus posted:

I remember there being some early graphic card demo you could mod so it would remove the clothes from the sexy elf lady.

I think it was either dusk or dawn, but i don't remember exactly which one had the smut mod.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Also isn't nichicon widely counterfeited? I would take extra caution sourcing them unless you want chinese caps with nichicon skins.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Desert Bus posted:

Most stickers will peel easy with just a hairdryer. So if you already got that no need to go buy a heat gun, even though you definitely should and definitely need one.

I would be very surprised if an asset tag sticker isn't a frangible or a watermarking one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

TextTV/TeleText is still available in lots of European countries.

Early on in the Covid19 pandemic, it was one of the better ways of getting numbers in Denmark, because the official websites got hammered.

It's called televideo in Italy and the public broadcaster provides a web mirror if you wish to experience it

https://www.televideo.rai.it/televideo/pub/index.jsp