Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Chromatic abberation is a thing that happens in photography, and I feel like that's the same thing in old CRTs. Something is just a little bit off-center so you get colors leaking out the edges of something that is supposed to be white.

I usually go for filters that mimic that when I'm running an old videogame system emulator on my desktop. Looks better than the other options that upscale to modern resolutions but round out the edges of pixels so they look like someone hastily converted everything in MSPAINT.

Who the gently caress uses those filters that make all the pixels have a round edge, and it's all jaggy and incongruous between colors? Do those look good output onto a CRT? Because they look like steamy piles of poo poo when you're using your regular LCD monitor.

It can happen in old CRTs if the guns are out of alignment, but the deliberate use in demos and some of the more experimental early '80s software is from video signals saving bandwidth by sending a full-resolution B&W image but a lower-resolution color image. https://int10h.org/blog/2015/04/cga-in-1024-colors-new-mode-illustrated/#artifact_colors gives an overview of how it works on early computers, where you can do truly gnarly things by adjusting the phase of the color signal using patterns in the B&W signal, but even in modern video it's typical for i.e. a full HD image to be 1920x1080 B&W overlaid with 960x540 color.

The most famous use of this effect is probably the waterfalls in JP and US copies of Sonic the Hedgehog having their precise pattern because composite couldn't keep up with the rate of horizontal pixel change and spewed rainbow artifacts everywhere.

E: An example shot from that post, bottom is digital signal/what's living in VRAM (itself massive hackery to overlay conveniently-patterened new lines of text(!) every one or two pixel rows), top is what an American or Japanese composite display would make of it after the colors left the RAMDAC as phase changes in a signal with limited change speed:

Mandoric has a new favorite as of 09:02 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
'the size will be determined by what's convenient to hold' is also a miss.