Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if anyone ever ran that and Stacker and Doublespace on the same system, and how badly they all stepped on each other's toes.

But how will it work with my Cyrix 386 to 486 Upgrade processor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Yeah I think I still belong to 4 or 5 diff ones? Most of the time it's just easier to stream stuff though these days. The only one I really use is my book one so I can occasionally snag an advance copy of a book that's in the mail already but i'm impatient. It's entirely possible a couple of them have died or moved and I didn't notice.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Does anyone remember the mIRC "Easter Egg" where you could right click on one of the buttons and it would say different things in some sort of popup? I think it might have been the Help button?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The first IRC server I joined was for fans of Daggerfall. m0use.net represent losers.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I'm going to get arrested just so I can go to jail and get a see through TV.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

I just got around to watch the 8bit Guy's Apple monitor repair video and I need a quick sanity check. He buckles in the CRT in the backseat, but since he only does the lap belt it seems to be that it would only serve to put spin on the thing as it's ejected forward and up into the back of his head. That seems like a dumb idea to other folks, right?

Edit - To be clear I'm not intending to rag on the guy. It's more for my reference when I do something similar at some point in the future.

You want to use both the lap and the shoulder belt and pull them out all the way so they lock when they go back in and you can really tighten it down. Treat it like a cat carrier or I guess pretty much any heavy or valuable poo poo that fits both belts. Just the lap belt on a monitor is going to end up under the center of gravity no matter how tight you get it so yes, very dumb.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

That looks awesome, but in Australia so shipping costs would be prohibitive.

I am drunk right now but also into random acts of Goonerosity as a rule so if I can PayPal one of you some cash to help make this happen I will attempt to do it because I have been watching and reading this thread for ages and I'm pretty sure you should own this. $20 USD is about the best I can do but that should shave a decent chunk off unless AUS customs gets real weird about poo poo.

Edit: Check the Hearthstone thread if you want to see me putting my money where my drunk mouth is, I've yet to not follow through.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Jun 15, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Humphreys constantly and consistently gets and posts about weird hardware and while I will never take that up as a hobby I 100% support it cause I get to read about it and I like that.

Edit: Let's get the Techno-Wizard a new toy.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Jun 15, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

That's only what I have in that room, most consoles have duplicates. Also there's the handhelds and arcade stuffs. I found two more VCRs that I couldn't explain the origin of!

I could check but effort. Are you the person in the AliExpress thread who orders poo poo and actually tests it and deconstructs it etc.? If you're not you should probably figure out who it is and talk to them.

Edit: Yes you are.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Jun 15, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This came up in a convo elsewhere and I forgot to get pics of the actual cd but here is the cd stuff from a 1997 OG Dink Smallwood physical release:

If you were a LORD fan and didn't play Dink you're missing out and it's super free:
https://www.rtsoft.com/pages/dink.php

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Yeah I somehow doubt many of these were made or sold.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

… Legend of the Red Dragon??

YES

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Are there any Goon BBS's or MUD's?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

Cross Posting from Aliexpress Thread for those that were interested.

Storytime everyone! Over six months ago a kind goon offered me an AV switch that looked pretty neato. We are goons separated by the Pacific but nevertheless the kind goon packed up the switch and send it off on an adventure.

TODAY 5 months after shipping, it has finally arrived out of the blue (I was sure it was lost along the way and gave up on the idea)

The trays are neat, left has CD slips and right has little trays and a remote control

Inside was also the receipt from 2010!

Business End:

Thankyou random goon! I actually though this was my Automotive Insanity Secret Santa Gift until I saw the date on the connote. haha!

EDIT:
Guess what sits and fits...

Done! I'll add it to my list for Xmas donations too.

YAY! I offered to throw down on this and you said it was covered and it's awesome that it finally made it to you!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

I covered the shipping and humphrey was kind enough to pay me back with a donation to the charity of my choice, the link to which I'm just going to leave right here for no particular reason

https://welcomeinn.ca/donate

That is awesome and don't blame me if that charity gets more money soon...

Edit: this is REALLY not necessary but if you wanna reciprocate this would be my charity of choice:

https://www.ehlers-danlos.com/giving/

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Nov 19, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just stream all my TV through my laptop anyway so I bought a nice second monitor instead of dealing with a modern "smart" TV. Looks just as good AND I don't have to deal with "smart" bullshit.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My ancient and huge mp3 collection is backed up on like 4 diff drives and one of those is not in my home. Losing it would suck a lot I have a LOT of rare stuff. :(

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

anyone know what the proper name is for the two screw post antenna connections on old tvs? like the kind you use to hook up an atari 2600 or such? tried searching a bunch of stuff and didn't seem to get anything terribly relevant.

is it just like, vhf antenna connector or something?

I once went to a Radio Shack with another Goon looking for one and the guy working was suuuuper confused until it clicked in his brain and he called it a "magic adapter" and pulled one out from behind the counter. I never learned the real name for them.

Yeah this:

spookykid posted:

300 ohm antenna connector. If you wanna hook up to something semi-modern with coax, you want a 75 to 300 ohm adapter like so:

https://www.amazon.com/300-Ohm-UHF-Matching-Transformer/dp/B0002ZPIOG

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” - Arthur C. Clarke

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I worked as a computer tech in like 2000? at Best Buy and our best guy left for a job at the local Gateway store. We were happy for him. Wonder how that worked out...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

There is a great documentary about buying and building one of those "back of comic book" submarines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18-Z5LBQD8

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I explain navigating file systems to people as if they are using their kitchen. The kitchen is the C: drive, the cabinets are the folders in that, the shelves are another layer of folders, that can of tomato sauce is your file.

It seems to get through?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Porfiriato posted:

200 websites… nothing but cats.

I'm not seeing the problem here.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My elementary school had something like this? but I don't think it was this attached to some sort of Apple computers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3p4-RJDob8

EDIT: this came out in 94 and it would have been more the 86-90? era.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Look at this old monster. A Dell Poweredge 6400 with 4 (four!) Pentium 3’s in it, and hot swappable PCI

I bet that runs Doom like a beast

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Love that PSU fan cowl

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I sent Clint from LGR an invite code about a month ago, along with a link to this thread and the obsolete tech thread. Invited them to come say hi. No results yet :(

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have spent more money on worse things.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Please post your collection/hoard because while I don’t have a collection I think the OG Xboxes are cool as hell

You are asking a dragon to show off their hoard. Be careful what you wish for.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I had a pizza box Packard Bell from like 1996? and I upgraded it beyond all reasonable standards. The first thing to go was the awful soundcard/modem.

Not my pic but this thing was AWFUL. ISA soundcard/modem. yeah great packard bell just poo poo on my chest next i love it

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have a "weird keyboard" friend and she built hers from the ground up. Loves it. 3d printed customized to her hands. It's pretty awesome even if me trying to use it would go bad. No wasting old cool hardware. Me? I buy the cheapest Logitech wireless and use it til it dies. I even keep a spare on hand.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If you hook up an NES to one TV and then connect the antenna to another TV's antenna it will display on both if the channels are correct. I doubt this helps at all but I just got a giant wave of nostalgia.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Could you point me in the direction of what kind of RF-to-composite adapter I'd need? I've been poking around on Amazon and maybe I'm searching for the wrong keywords but I'm not coming up with much other than demodulators which I think do the opposite of what I want and let you play new stuff on old tube TVs.

https://silversoulgaming.com/2020/08/28/prestons-tech-tips-how-to-connect-your-rf-game-system-to-a-composite-input/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

EDIT: wrong lol

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jun 21, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

That artifact is imbued with the power of infinite nostalgia, particularly as mine disappeared sometime between, you know, 1996 and today. If I am being charitable I got rid of it when televisions no longer had a way to hook that up to it anyway and I figured if I ever fired up my Atari 800XL again it would surely be using some other method

I went on a search for one with another Goon before I was a Goon and we ended up in a Radio Shack in a dying mall and the guy called it a "magic adapter" and sold it to her for $0.37 total.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Do you want one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/203992239884

Thats not mine, but I have the exact same one and no use for it

How long til Goons manage to fill Humphreys house with random AV poo poo? I say we find out. Sorry Humphreys!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Sweevo posted:

The world isn't gonna end because someone threw away 100 jizz-stained VHS tapes of Monster Jugs Party Volume 17

How do you know?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Arivia posted:

Have they officially said they are using they/them pronouns now? Last I heard was the FAQ video where it was obvious there was gender stuff but Gravis also said use he/him for now.

Off topic but I just default to they/them for anyone and everyone these days. Simplifies things and only pisses off people I don't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

evobatman posted:

I got a couple of 160GB iPods from thrift stores, so I spent the last two quiet days at work extracting the music from them, combining it with my own ancient MP3 collection, and then finding software to get everything tagged and pruning duplicates, ending with a couple of hours of manual work file by file. I now have about 14500 songs, taking up somewhere between 70 and 80 GB. Felt like being back 20 years ago and sorting through my MP3s in my dorm room.

Edit: Oh, and now I get to watch my computer sync 14500 songs to the old spinning harddrives in the iPods. I'll mod them eventually, but they work fine for now.

Oh god

Only registered members can see post attachments!