Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Remember the Timex Datalink? It was an early predecessor of smartwatches that you synced by holding up to your computer screen which would strobe or something to transmit data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Datalink

Well, in the YOOL 2017, I just had to program a wireless adapter for a Pitney Bowes postal machine the same way.

https://setup.smartlink.pitneybowes.com/connection

You put your SSID and password into that page, then press start and hold the adapter up to your screen while it flashes in a spot to transmit the data. Only took me 6 tries or so to get it to work. The adapter connects to the postage machine via usb, so seems like maybe they could have used that to set it up on a PC first but nope. Flashy lights while I try to hold it perfectly still up against the monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Actually, this particular computer and its brother the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 100 should be very easy to transfer to/from using a serial-to-USB converter.

I had a computer teacher in junior high school who biked to work with a trs 80 in a side basket every day. The lab was all Apple IIe (with the odd IIc here and there), but he was a Tandy guy. I honestly have no idea what he did on it all day. I mostly played Conan and Bard's Tale on the IIe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

As someone that just got hosed out of $250 via kickstarter, gently caress crowdfunding things that actually look complicated and hard to achieve.

Never again will I back anything of any value.

What did you back?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I wish it was a story worth telling :(

Tiko 3d Printer, had high hopes, they shipped 3000/13000 and just basically said sorry we spent all the money trying to make a working product, sorry the first 3k suck, we're looking for investors to invest in a lovely product and failed company.

Wasn't familiar with this but holy crap they promised a lot for that price point. Wonder what they could've produced for a more realistic price.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do appreciate how software forced you to gamble when you burned by picking a burn speed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Browser chat reminds me of a couple things:

I used the Camino browser on Mac for a long time. I don't remember at this point why I liked it. I also remember using iCab. First browser I ever used was NCSA Mosaic. I also played around with Lynx. To go from telnet and gopher to Mosaic was pretty neat.

We around that time someone told me that a couple guys were compiling a list of all the web sites in the world at akebono.stanford.edu. (Until then, there was no good way to find a web site, someone else had to give you the address. Occasionally WAIS would prove useful ) If you found a new web site you could email him and he'd add it. That, of course, became yahoo. And those guys made a little money.

Lastly, anyone ever play with Gopher VR? Not sure it added anything to the experience but it was kind of neat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just rediscovered this in a closet. I used to play this for hours.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croccers posted:

Police 911/Police 24/7 and Police 911 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiKa9aC6gQ8

The dude narrating reminds me of the guy in that epic katana unboxing video.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping one of you guys can remember a game for me. It was a point and click style game, and I played it in 1992 or 1993. I had remembered it as being a Blade Runner game, but apparently the only blade runner game like that came in 1997 so it could not have been that. I played it on a mac. It was definitely a dystopian future kind of thing, but I really don't remember details beyond that.

edit: Lots of time spent googling leads me to believe it was Rise of the Dragon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Flashback immediately comes to mind, but I used a joystick for it on the Amiga.

Don't think I ever played that, but it looks very similar to (and was published by the same outfit) as Out of This World, which was way cool.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

neither one of those were point and click?

No I edited my question post, Rise of the Dragon was the game I was trying to think of. I was just commenting on the other game.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

That puckmouse is likely causes the most hand injuries of any inert object that isn't a rock.

Given the experience from people around me OSX "Just works" fine especially compared to windows.

OS 8 is a loving dog. 9 was better (Memory consumption withstanding) but Apple was playing catch up until OSX. Switching from PowerPC to Intel looked crazy at the time but that was one hell of a call to make that paid off.

I still have mine in the garage. That thing made for a great space heater during the winter. It was unbelievable how hot PPC chips ran and they gave the things a passive heat sink in the iMacs. I bump the clock speed to 450MHz from 400MHz after moving some resistors later in it's life.

I still have my 20th anniversary Mac in the original box in my garage. I kind of want to set it up but I’m afraid I’ll find that it’s filled with spiders.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

But you could always dual-boot back to OS 9 and enjoy the stripped-down battle-hardened speed of an OS at the utter end of its development and advancement timeline, one ridden with uncountable inappropriately kernel-level code hacks designed for speed and resulting in system stability about like this:

And yet I'd still load three rows worth of extensions for important stuff like adding Oscar the Grouch to my trashcan or have the Makin' Copies guy say "Makin' copies" every time I made a copy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I recorded everything in EP because I had like two tapes that were mine, so the quality of my recorded movies was extra lovely.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Some warez groups still have music playing in their installer while the game unpacks but it's not as cool because now it's just playing an MP3 using an MP3 library.

I remember when I first discovered how much better mod files were than midi files. Actual music on my computer!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just came across this in my desk: A Techtool Protege FireWire diagnostics drive. Has a bootable system plus all the Techtool utilities on it to fix hard drive issues. Pretty sure Apple changed the Firewire port as soon as I bought one. Not sure I ever used it other than to test it out.

edit: Turns out I have two of them. One for intel macs, the other for PowerPC.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My screensavers were the various after dark modules. Flying toasters being the best one of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cm7tv5cM8g

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was a Mac guy, so my fave flight sims back in the day we’re Chuck Yeager, F/A 18 (or maybe Hornet?), and a Red Baron game by (I think) Sierra. The hornet game allowed you drop a tactical nuke and the Red Baron game let you shoot dirigibles. Great fun.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I swear the Donkey Kong I had for Atari said Coleco on it. I think the cartridge was cream colored. Am I misremembering?

Also, Dreamcast was the best console ever.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The computer store I worked at in the mid 90s had daily matches of Marathon 2 (and Infinity) once the owner would leave for the day. Which at one point led to the sales manager calling the receptionist a oval office during a match. Fun times.

Speaking of Bungie games, did anyone here play Myth? I never got into it but it seemed like a great property that just disappeared once Bungie was sold.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a Syquest drive that I was a big fan of. Cartridges were reliable and I don’t seem to remember it being slow. It think the disks were more like a small hard disk than a big floppy though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

OH, IN THAT CASE, MAYBE YOU COULD CONSIDER A HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER.

YOU CAN GET NICE LITTLE BATTERY ONES THAT COMPLIMENT AN MP3 PLAYER OR MAKE ONE OF YOUR OWN FROM AN ALTOIDS TIN.

I used this when I flew before I got my noise canceling Bose. Does a good job, and has multiple outputs so you can listen/watch a movie together with whoever is seated next to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Upbeat-Audio-T613-BNC-Boostaroo-Application/dp/B000EIWCFE/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely had my share of radio-recorded mixtapes. The best songs were the ones with the DJ over the intro "This is by special request from [Flash Gordon Ramsay]."

Of course, that's when DJs were allowed to make their own programming decisions, and not just read pre-written bumps in between songs on a playlist sent to them by Sinclair.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every time I use the PlayStation store on my ps4 it’s like using it for the first time ever. Stuff is never where I expect it to be.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

PS3 and PS4 Playstation Store also literally does not order games by price. It orders by price without discounts, sure, but that's literally useless.

I’ve had first day edition games with downloadable content a few times and figuring out how to input the code and then download the content is always an adventure that takes me way longer than it should.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do people still obsess over PS1 for having some amazing CD transport mechanism for audio CDs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to go into a high end audio store with my buddy who was into that stuff. It was always weird what albums they'd use to demo the equipment. I don't think I ever saw them playing anything recorded after 1980.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can see how they end up down that rabbit hole. When I’ve made things myself, be it small furniture or other craft projects, I end up in this iterative refinement kick, where I want to keep improving it and I’m dealing with smaller and smaller details/improvements each time. And I imagine audiophiles deal with that once they get their overpriced components in place, then it’s a matter of incrementally improving everything else in the chain. And that’s how you end up with a $3,000 power cord.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a Mac that I added 512k of VRAM so it would display more than 256 colors. Suddenly game’s that were dithered to hell and back looked halfway decent.

Edit:

Also had a later Mac (Centris 610 I think) that came with an fpu-less 68lc040 processor. I replaced with a full 68040 at some point. Later sold the machine and the buyer was having errors in excel. The math wasn’t working or something. I still had the old processor, though I had been using it as a paperweight for a year or so. Also, those of us in the shop would take turns trying to zap it with static electricity. I straightened the pins with a SIMM and swapped it back into the machine. Worked flawlessly and excel errors went away.

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Oct 6, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iTunes was at its best when it was SoundJam MP. Everything apple did to it since they bought it seemingly took it down hill. It’s old and terribly bloated now, and the interface is the absolute worst.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

I guess I'll google for that, because Cyberpunk is unironically one of my favorite albums. Yes, yes, I have terrible taste in music, etc.

Adam in Chains is a great song, you just have to set the file to start playing at the end of all the hypnosis poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me, I had a purely optical mouse in the early 90s that used a metal mousepad with a grid of dots on it for tracking. Worked great as long as the you kept the mouse and the mousepad aligned. Turn the mouse a few degrees and it would track sideways.

edit: I say purely optical because at that time the apple mice were machanical-optical, with a spoked wheel that would pass in front of an ir "eye" inside when you moved it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

...like every ball mouse ever made....?

Didn't know if I needed to specify. I assumed some were purely mechanical.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

0toShifty posted:

We were still using those optical mice at work until about 6 months ago when we "upgraded" to ball mice.

We have an old Sun 3/260 which has a Motorola 68020 at 25MHz. It works fine, and it's still used in production 24/7.

My Mac LC had a 68020. i upgraded it with an FPU card because there was some sprite based shooter game that was really cool that wouldn't run without it. I don't remember the name of the game though. I played the hell out of some Sky Shadow back then though. Sound effects that weren't bleeps and bloops blew my mind.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We used to play Spaceward Ho on our appletalk network. Until Marathon came out, that is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You have been eaten by a grue.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AFK

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had a rude, entitled customer call me because his computer wouldn’t come on. He was a big wig at one of our biggest clients and a total rear end. Said printer was on but computer wouldn’t power up. Asked him to verify that everything was plugged in, and he said it was. So I drop everything to make a visit to his house.

Sure enough everything was plugged in. He had plugged the printer into the wall, and the surge protector into itself. When I pointed out that the surge protector can’t power itself he got even ruder.

My boss wouldn’t even let me charge him for the visit. Dick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wait what is that person whose hands are sticking out to the sides doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

That reminds me, was dead baby jokes an early internet thing?

As a kid in 80s, I had the entire series of Blanche Knotts Truly Tasteless Jokes books. Dead baby jokes were a staple of those books.