Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

Please post a screen shot of your menu.

My DOS menu which my dad created worked like this:

AUTOEXEC.BAT ended with:
CLS
TYPE MENU.TXT

MENU.TXT contained e.g.: (1) XTree

You can guess what 1.BAT ran.
Others (like me) used config.sys <menuitem> with GOTO %CONFIG% in autoexec.bat for creating optimal memory boot options. MSCDEX and Norwegian keyboard layout stole a lot of memory I needed for games and Scream Tracker :)

Anyone remember DesqView?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I=B000-B7FF

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I miss Apple DVD Studio Pro in the TiBook days, when authoring software on the PC was crap. Direct support of Photoshop layers and you could alter the player register flags. One of those is the "unskippable" flag which cheap unlicenced players tend to ignore.

Capturing The Changeling (with George C Scott) from my VHS copy and creating fancy animated menus etc was a good learning experience.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I seem to remember that Apple released a firmware upgrade for their SuperDrives in the G4 days, because some writeable CD's would start spinning so fast they would shatter. If I remember correctly, the drive tries to identify the blank CD's write speed capability. If not found for whatever reason (unknown manufacturer most likely), instead of defaulting to a slow speed, the motor would spin at max speed and not slow down.

It's too long ago to find with Googling, apparently.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

DiVX ;-) started as a hack/crack of a Microsoft MPEG-4 codec, Xvid came as an open source alternative, then DiVX ;-) became DivX or whatever and tried to go legit with their own code and licenced hardware but by then everyone in the "scene" had switched to Xvid and now everything is x264 and proper MP4. The warez scene is always quick to switch to new-fangled codecs and I believe it's much because of Xvid and proper containers (Matroska and MP4 proper) we don't have to deal with a ton of crap codecs and AVI any more, thank God.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I think most Psygnosis covers were created in-house for each game, but I can't remember. Kim Justice has created a few interesting documentaries about the old developer/distributor powerhouses, and the one on Psygnosis is no exception. Lots of interesting tidbits about the development and business practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYlxnHOY-Q

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Trunko posted:

Anybody have any experience switching back to a simple flip phone handset? Thinking Bout going that direction and just keeping a small tablet in by bag for any smart phone type tasks.

I had to use a Sony W595 for six months before I got a new smartphone last Christmas. And only a computer at home, no tablet. It was refreshing reading more books and having to note appointments on paper before inputting into gCal when I got home.

It was hell.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I used Central Point Desktop for Win 3.1 back in the day.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Did someone buy Akers Mic's estate twenty years ago and only now put it on the shelf? Film Vinyl lol

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

The Xing mp3 encoder was one of the very worst. It made garbage files that sounded like they were being played from underwater

I used the original reference Fraunhofer MP3enc for a long-rear end time since the 128Kbps files it produced sounded better than Xing 160Kbps ones. It was more effective in busy areas that would leave cymbals washy. Not in the audiophile sense but really noticeable.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Was I not supposed to use Dreamweaver for websites?

It was fine as a code editor and asset manager kinda thing, I never used much of the autogenerated functionality. I guess most people did though :(

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Tornado, Apache, and Hind were just as heavy. Some European shop did those.
I bought Tornado. Digital Integration did it. I was overwhelmed but happy about the 300+ page manual. I also had F117 Stealth Fighter (I think that was Microprose) and while many thought it was boring, I loved the suspense and mood of flying night bombing missions.

I still load up Chuck Yeager's Air Combat in DOSBox once in a while. Although my CH Flightstick is long gone, I have just as much fun with a Logitech F310 gamepad.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The Sausages posted:

I enjoyed that, love the guy's enthusiasm, reminds me of one of my high school math & science teachers.

I'd heard of delay line memory but never seen it implemented like this.

You should see how he runs his Klein bottle webshop :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Anyone actually use something like this?

There was a short window where they made sense, and I have only ever run across a couple of them in the wild. First time I saw one I had no idea what the hell I was looking at and had to research it.

I have seen similar gadgets, but those were Vesa Local Bus. There were also VLB IDE controllers that supported 4(!) hard drives, I borrowed one of those with 2x1GB drives full of scene stuff and Linux Torrents. Pick and choose what to copy to my (then also large) Conner 540 MB.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I think after Word 6, when they saw that WordPerfect for Windows kinda bombed?

e: Version jumping is a tech relic, hopefully. Word jumped from 2 to 6 because WP finally gave in and made a Windows version after 5.5 if I recall correctly, and Word 2.0 was the king on Windows before that. Microsoft were really scared of WP back then.

F4rt5 has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Apr 22, 2018

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

B j <long press on "o" then swipe up to צ> r k

B j C-x 8 " o r k (at least I think so, I don't have access to Emacs right now)

I'll be fine with my normal keyboard thanks, at least when I'm not coding in APL.

I don't really know APL

Seriously though what keys from a US keyboard are you missing or do you actually have more keys?

We have one more key, it's where the right half of your left shift would be, and a big-rear end enter key.

Some keyboard enthusiasts over here in Scandinavia use an ANSI (US) layout instead of ISO (European) because in addition to the small left shift we also have the {, }, [, and ] keys on AltGr + 7, 0, 8 and 9 respectively. The <> is next to the small left shift. For coding, having them where our זרו cluster is, near the enter key like in an ANSI layout, is more efficient. Seriously, take a look at this Norwegian crap:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ruflux posted:

He's... not really wrong though?

Well, yeah, 'cause it can - if you're *extremely* patient?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Overpriced = yes. poo poo = no. They do have some interesting tech but oversell it.

Personally I would go with a Marantz receiver and some Cambridge Audio speakers.

^ saying that I am a scrub with a Sony Muteki 7.4 system.
I have a T-Amp (tripath amps are tech relics now aren't they?) and a pair of $150 Eltax 5" monitors - and it's just as good as my old Denon PMA860 with a pair of cheap 2x8" floor speakers - for this small room anyway.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Looks like the MSX version I played as a kid. Couldn't understand what to do at all. Intro soundtrack kicked rear end, though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Not Operator posted:

I too went from Gentoo to Mint
Slackware 3 > Ubuntu > Gentoo > Ubuntu > Mint. gently caress dealing with recompiling kernels and all that poo poo.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Humphreys posted:

We had this really dodgy independant video store and mum got some cartoons. First was Akira which sent her mental with the blood...but Kite was the last straw.
I'd seen Akira at 14 or something, then when I lived away from home for high school at 16 a buddy came over with VHSes of Dominion Tank Police (erektakaki!) and... um... Wicked City. A few years later I found my cousin's LaserDisc collection. What's ... Urotsukiwhatever?

Scarred for life with tech relics.

F4rt5 has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Jul 20, 2018

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Norway is generally an early adopter - see the recurring moaning about the US being behind in money transfer and payment methods for examples.

What we have not done, on the other hand, is any form of electronic voting. The traditional paper-in-box system scales perfectly, is its own paper trail, and since we have a complete national registry of citizens there's no "voter registration" faff; all you need to do is show up. (There are provisions for voting ahead of time and from foreign countries, but even those come down to "piece of paper".)

Yeah, it's worth it waiting a night or a full 24 hours for votes to be counted, and be able to actually trust the counts. They're properly supervised, so ballot stuffing is something an entire community of people would have to back for it to work, and even if the biggest county (Oslo at ~600,000 people) cheated it would't matter.

Computer viking posted:

I'll admit I'm surprised that we haven't tried to implement something. It's not like we've been afraid of moving almost everything else online, behind national id systems of varying quality.
Look at our National ID Card system that was supposed to be implemented a couple of years ago, with all its delays. Albeit, some of the delay is due to some encryption suddenly being cracked (like Estonia's ID cards' protection were recently) before our system was supposed to be released, constituting a remake of the entire system.

Everything else here, though, is online. Banking? Banks don't even have cash tellers anymore. You can literally not go into your bank and get cash. Everything's online banking and cards (we're slow with RFID though, only now seeing a marketing push for "tapping".)

e: Which segues into tech relics: Checks. Not used since the late 80's here when ATM's took over. We've had this discussion here before (or in another thread) about the completely decentralized US banking system. "Oh, there are so many states, small banks and actors, that a centralized online debit system is not possible".

Seriously, I don't even have a proper credit card, only BankAxept, which still enables me to go to an ATM in Greece and get cash money. But I won't get any if my account is dry, 'cause they're all online and can see my balance. No excuse, US, get with the program.

F4rt5 has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Aug 9, 2018

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

It's like the Harman/Kardon DVD-1, their first DVD player - it was worth getting just for the audio DAC and use as a CD player. If you were into that sort of thing.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I saw Jesus vs Santa from a Vivo file. Think it was 160x120 and around 30 megs lol

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I use the numpad. WASD? What about 8456. 0 is duck, 7 is jump, slash is run, asterisk is menu (inventory or whatever), plus is use, minus is discard. Everything clustered together perfectly in one area.

Yes, I'm left-handed :v:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I played and finished the original x-com a year ago, still better than the new one. Never can finish Fallout though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

Got my old PII system finally running with a Nvidia FX 5200 in it and Vibra (OEM Sound Blaster) 16 sound card. Grabbed a SB Audigy sound card to put in later on. Running Windows 98SE happily at the moment

Ugh, a Vibra 16, the *worst* SB card.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Barudak posted:

AFAIK it works because their office has software to manage USB access and is programmed to look for thumbdrives that are registered to trigger it. Im not sure but apparently when you plug it into another computer that doesnt have that software it doesnt do anything, its just a normal blank thumbdrive.

Yeah that's what I thought. Endpoint security, which has become really topical with GDPR and all. Which brings me to what I thought would be a tech relic: Local exclusion. When movies premiere the same time as in the US and we get them on Blu-ray when they're released there (it used to take months a few years ago) and that region coding thing is a thing of the past, why do some websites just cut access to European people?

Like, once on a while when I follow a link from HN I get the "we can't show you this because GDPR" and I "you're based in the IS! Why do you care I'm from Europe?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

My first thought was "why are there two beepers :confused:" because I'm just old :corsair:

That was my first reaction too

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

What's the bitrate?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

spaceblancmange posted:

Maybe he hates immigrants more though.
He looks like a bus driver, or your accountant, so perhaps, but no, he's seriously into old-school rap and stuff so I don't think so. Though there have been weirder examples of cognitive dissonance...

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I remember Mickey Mania for the SNES was 850 NOK ($85) when it came out, due to the ROM size? Insane.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I grew up on 32x doom, which despite its faults was still really fun. So now the PC soundtrack sounds a bit odd to me because the 32x version is so burned in my brain

I bought a Sound Blaster AWE32 just to hear what the music was supposed to sound like, kind of, with its 1MB ROM wavetable. I say kind of since I think the music was originally composed for the MT-32? I also tried a 4MB soundfont after adding RAM to the card. It sounded better, but *wrong* somehow.

I remember the Adlib version being a decent version of it, I thought the Adlib and Genesis used the same Yamaha FM chip, so I have no idea why it sounds like crap on the Sega...

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Nah, even a crap Cirrus Logic 1MB onboard could handle SVGA 800x600 at 256 colors. Images stil didn't look *great* dithered to that but better than 16 colors anyway :)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Some Goon posted:

:ssh: They're all reading scripts.
Yeah. That's how you do it if you want to look professional. Some, though, like the five watt world dude (old guitars and such are tech relics, no?) have the script so close you can notice his eyes move as he's reading, though, which is annoying

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Thanks for that. I really want to get back into it for all the hacky goodness. (my and my old boss used to cardshare over a decade ago - I paid through the nose for ISDN as dialup wasnt fast enough for the datastream of the card).

Currently I'm big on private pirate IPTV packages and of course my manual Plex server :filez: and multi-channel live TV ripping.
Must be well more than a decade ago, dude! ISDN in 2010? 2005 even? Man, I remember budgeting for being online 24/7 on a single IDSN line in 1998 (all subscribers got two lines, but I didn't always bundle them for online since having a landline available even though you were connected was one of the luxuries of ISDN) and by 2000 I was on 2Mbit SDSL for a third of the price.

If time does not fool you, man, I feel sorry for you being on ISDN ten years after it was pretty much a relic ;)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

TheDarkOfKnight posted:

TV station. One of these machines will be brought back to operation because they want to transfer a bunch of 1” tapes we have in the bomb shelter. I’m going to have to get some more pictures of the crazy stuff we have going on around here before we gut the studio next week for a full remodel.
You need to make a YouTube series about this process :)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I got a little upset that I never heard about that thing (or the Toshiba Libretto he mentions at the end) back when my MS-DOS machine was dying and I probably would have been in the market to pay $500+ for an adorable era-appropriate laptop to replace it.
Buddy of mine had that Libretto in high school, he had "borrowed" it from the computer shop he worked at. I've looked for one ever since.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Enos Shenk posted:

It's also amazingly uncomfortable to use unless you're a fingertip mouse-pusher. I prefer something chonky enough to curve to my hand, so the one time I tried to use one of these I despised it. Waaaaay too thin.
I am a fingertip mouse-pusher, and I don't love it. The touch area is too sensitive, the lack of a true second button; at least the new one seems less sharp at the edges than the first one they made. That one scraped my left ring finger badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Apple's mice have generally sucked (I've used a couple "Magic" mice and they suck), but for a while there they were making some nice keyboards. The G3 iMac keyboard was serviceable, but a lot of the G4 tower models had keyboards I was actually fond of.

I use models like both of these, and they were solid:

But they are so spongy, I hated them