Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Interesting read on the developers and the rise and fall of the Gopher internet protocal they created:

https://www.minnpost.com/business/2016/08/rise-and-fall-gopher-protocol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

boar guy posted:

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER

16-Bit era it became "Play It Loud".

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I sorta miss having old tapes of movies recorded off TV, it was always fun to watch ancient commercials.

Of course now you can find big blocks of them on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1qunjZbhZI

Back in high school in the early 2000's a friend of mine found boxes and boxes of 80's/90's movies and shows on vhs that someone in his family had recorded over the years. The best part was that the commercials were all intact. During the summer we would smoke in the basement watching such hits like Sister Act or Red Heat and would try to guess which year the movie or show was recorded based off the commercials. It became competitive and eventually we started keeping score but the game couldn't work when we were watching awards shows like the 1990 American Music Awards, which we once watched in its entirety.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I'm surprised this commercial wasn't on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDF-TnuIDBk

It was a :wtc: time

Not shown or mentioned is the spit cup stuffed with napkins and the dirty looks you get from people nearby.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

I could be wrong but I seem to remember a nintendo power where someone left a Gameboy or maybe it was an NES cartridge outside in the snow for a winter. Of course it worked perfectly fine when the snow thawed.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I found this beauty hanging out in a disused area of the shop today:

Nice find!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

I got an Athlon XP 1800+ in early 2002 (CPU apparently released in October 2001 though), and I seem to recall it still being reasonably usable in 2008. I was working for a pretty lovely company that the year before was still making me use a Pentium III running Windows 98, so I guess relative to that it still seemed pretty good. I think when I got the Athlon machine it only had 256MB of RAM, and I think I doubled that twice over the years. I guess I played GTA San Andreas in fairly low detail but it seemed fine to me :shrug:

On the other hand, I had a Core 2 Duo launched in 2008 which 2 years ago (i.e. at around 8 years after launch) was already feeling pretty unusable for things like watching YouTube.

I built an athlon xp 3500+ with 3gb of ram in 2005 and used it regularly for non-gaming years after and it did anything web-wise fine. I gave it to my parents in 2012 and they used it everyday with no problems until 3 years ago when it powered off suddenly and refused to turn back on. That box got a lot of mileage before it died.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Plenty of tech relics in this here music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wepu3DAcgTA&t=1s

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

A couple weeks ago I was at a gas station and saw a mapquest printout on the ground and I thought I traveled through time somehow

I have a friend who still prints out MapQuest directions even though he has Google maps on his phone. He is 32 yet is oblivious to or plain doesn't want to learn some forms of technology.

When i cut the cord and got a Roku a few years ago he was blown away by the concept of it yet still pays a poo poo load of money for cable.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Was the SNES version of Doom the one that didn't have a soundtrack?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Vista got a bad rap because of lovely computers having "Vista Ready" stickers being slapped on them. People would buy lovely computers with 512 MB of RAM because it said it could run Vista and then it ran like poo poo. Upgrade it to 1GB and Vista ran just fine for most people. Microsoft even had to do that "Windows Mojave" ad campaign to convince people Vista wasn't lovely because of cheapskate manufacturers. Vista was great if you had a machine that could handle it.

I ran Vista for a few years on a cobbled together desktop running 1gb of ram and I never had a problem. I don't know enough of the inner workings of an OS to claim it was great but for an everyday internet/gaming user like myself it worked as well as XP and 7 did.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

While obviously you would not be as popular, I think there is still room for LGR clones covering other similar things that he did not specifically cover. "This week on Casual Game Ratings we focus on this piece of Strangeware: an e-fishing rod or something"

You could probably gain a nice following by just reviewing all of the terrible Mad Catz and Nuby peripherals.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Wish I had a friend to give me a free Zune. I bought one when they were first released (black 30gb) and loved it. Software could be a pain but it was no worse than iTunes. I used it daily for almost 5 years until it fell out of my hoodie pouch and cracked the screen real bad which was a bummer but at that point I was already using smart phones and shortly after getting Spotify I didn't have use for a standalone MP3 player anyway. I would use one now, however, since I'm really tired of dropping my phone while running.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

I lived in a situation for six months where I had to be in one state half the week and another state the other half, and I did not own a laptop nor particularly want to buy one. I instead invested in one of these debatably bad boys and moved my desktop twice a week the whole time :c00l:

Wow I had that exact same case used in those pics. What a blast from the past. IIRC I got it from a friend along with a P4 CPU as I was using an old P3 at the time. The deal was the case and cpu for a case of beer but since he never specified what brand I got him a case of Milwaukee's Best.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I always thought it was pretty funny how Microsoft was like "Oh your UI is called Aqua? Yeah yeah I get it, all the toolbar icons and everything should look like water droplets, got it"

Apple: "Wait no—"

MS: "I SAID I GOT IT"

I used Rocket Dock on Vista and 7 for several years because I just had to have toolbar icons of my own. Are they even a thing anymore on Macs?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Data Graham posted:

To be clear by "toolbar icons" I'm talking about the action buttons in the toolbar in the browser

Are you referring to the Dock (on the bottom of the screen)? Yes it is still a thing.

Right, I meant the dock icons.

I spent way too much time downloading custom icons for Rocket Dock. I remember how satisfied I was finding a "my computer" icon that looked exactly like my case and monitor or one that simply said "MP3s". Now the only thing visible on my desktop is the recycle bin. Less is better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

I put the CRT on my lap and buckle it to me. Peace of mind right there.