Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think the developer covenant is a cool idea but a) the name omg it's so dumb and b) I think it should be part of the license. something like the bad gpl where if people want to use your source code, they have to agree to adopt your developer covenant and they have to agree to enforce it in their projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

http://programming-motherfucker.com/

Programming, Motherfucker
Do you speak it?
We are a community of motherfucking programmers who have been humiliated by software development methodologies for years.

We are tired of XP, Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, Software Craftsmanship (aka XP-Lite) and anything else getting in the way of...Programming, Motherfucker.

We are tired of being told we're autistic idiots who need to be manipulated to work in a Forced Pair Programming chain gang without any time to be creative because none of the 10 managers on the project can do... Programming, Motherfucker.

We must destroy these methodologies that get in the way of...Programming, Motherfucker.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
don't post my efforts to turn the success of the terrible programming thread into my own global brand

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

akadajet posted:

Do you speak it?
We are a community of motherfucking programmers who have been humiliated by software development methodologies for years.

We are tired of XP, Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, Software Craftsmanship (aka XP-Lite) and anything else getting in the way of...Programming, Motherfucker.

We are tired of being told we're autistic idiots who need to be manipulated to work in a Forced Pair Programming chain gang without any time to be creative because none of the 10 managers on the project can do... Programming, Motherfucker.

We must destroy these methodologies that get in the way of...Programming, Motherfucker.

You could just list the author's name, Zed A. Shaw.

XP is pretty nice in pieces, I pretend to follow that. Pair programming is a bit out of kilter, but I guess has value if you are farming out overseas.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really enjoy pair programming from time to time. i dont think i'd like it to be a mandatory process though

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
pair programming is absolutely exhausting, and very annoying if your partner has a cold

good for your bus number, though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's something i like to do at the start or end of a project when you want to get really in sync with the devs you're working with.

i've never done really pair programming though. i just like, you know, sit in with them or something.

also it's a really great way to learn about development tools you might be unaware of.and i like seeing how other people work.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

return0 posted:

ruby is fine. rails otoh

ruby is hot garbage and the only people left writing it in almost 2016 have extreme stockholm syndrome

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's something i like to do at the start or end of a project when you want to get really in sync with the devs you're working with.

i've never done really pair programming though. i just like, you know, sit in with them or something.

also it's a really great way to learn about development tools you might be unaware of.and i like seeing how other people work.

Yeah, its fine once in awhile. I wouldn't be interested working anywhere that tries to do it all the time, seems like that would be exhausting. Sometimes its nice to just quietly reflect on something without a guy yammering.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

because it was a different product u bitch dont front on me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stash_(software)

;)

return0
Apr 11, 2007

triple sulk posted:

ruby is hot garbage and the only people left writing it in almost 2016 have extreme stockholm syndrome

yeah its basically just python tbh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
python is also bad

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
ruby will die out before python because python has gained enough marketshare in data science to last for at least half a century or so.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i like ruby better tho

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
trying to decide between scripting languages is the closest thing I will ever personally experience to Sophie's Choice

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
you obviously should always use rexx

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i can't program with someone else in the room, let alone in the urinal i mean chair next to me

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i really enjoy pair programming from time to time. i dont think i'd like it to be a mandatory process though

it's good for code quality and knowledge sharing, but drat it gets on my nerves after a while, like backseat driving

idk maybe were doing it wrong but i get frustrated watching the other person milling about and not looking up the documentation when we need it

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I want to hear more about this

I read about it here so someone will remember I hope

jony ive aces posted:

was that the one that had only 3 fixed options - "negroid", "mongoloid" and caucasian or aryan or whatever other name for the cracker plague race

I really can't remember anything else about it except it was terrible and hilarious and possibly linked in a stormfront forum or something so that seems entirely plausible

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
oh here it is. I misremembered a bit, it possibly came from a good place but was immediately glommed onto by racists

https://github.com/offapi/rbac-23andme-oauth2

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io

akadajet posted:

Do you speak it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
python is the new perl, it will be supported forever because it will be in every garbage janitor script. ruby has already lost the war to be the next lovely CJ language, meaning that its existence will end once the next recession hits and all the ruby idiots will be laid off.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

leaving only javascript :)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

akadajet posted:

Do you speak it?

programmers HUMILIATED by.......... pair programming

lol at zed shaw

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

jony ive aces posted:

was that the one that had only 3 fixed options - "negroid", "mongoloid" and caucasian or aryan or whatever other name for the cracker plague race

i thought that was some bitcoin thing. it sounds more up their street

e: yes. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=525#post442212953

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 21, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

lol at zed shaw

never heard of the guy. tell me more.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

python is the new perl, it will be supported forever because it will be in every garbage janitor script. ruby has already lost the war to be the next lovely CJ language, meaning that its existence will end once the next recession hits and all the ruby idiots will be laid off.

wrong they're both the new perl and ruby endures through puppet and chef

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

akadajet posted:

never heard of the guy. tell me more.

He thinks that programmers aren't autistic idiots who don't need to be constantly babysat to ship anything worth a drat remotely on time

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
oh yeah nvm i literally forgot what 23andme was so just ignored that part of it, having those 3 fixed options wouldn't really make sense when dealing with actual genetics

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

BooLoo posted:

oh here it is. I misremembered a bit, it possibly came from a good place but was immediately glommed onto by racists

https://github.com/offapi/rbac-23andme-oauth2
i like how they have a demo site and it's literally whites-but-no-jews

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
just go to bugmenot and use a fake dna profile someone created earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

thank you for signing up and also congrats on surviving the Armenia genocide

• Locked thread