Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This is from the Paradise Trail, a really cool trail that requires some preparation to hike, but isn't inaccessible to novice hikers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's actually called "Denali"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ralp posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

This is from the Paradise Trail, a really cool trail that requires some preparation to hike, but isn't inaccessible to novice hikers.

With clouds like that they should call it Mt. Rainiest!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

In Training posted:

With clouds like that they should call it Mt. Rainiest!

That would be Mount Waialeale

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ralp posted:

That would be the former "Mount McKinley"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Powercrazy posted:

That would be the former "Mount McKinley"

Okay then change Ranier to Ti'Swaq

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Tahoma

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's a font

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I made it pretty far up due to it being late summer. Rip all of the glaciers though, poo poo has receded so quickly within the past 30 years; it doesn't even look like a major mountain in the summer.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I've been to Rainier twice (PNW represent). The first time I just met up with my dad and we walked around at the visitor center for a while. The second time I hiked to Camp Muir (the jumping off point for summit attempts) with a techie idiot who was woefully unprepared.

Before I left my house I looked at the map and realized we were going through a glacier so I made it a point to bring my trekking poles and traction spikes for some very good boots. The guy I was hiking with (a legit techie idiot) brought some tennis shoes and a quart of water.

I spent eight hours watching him slip and slide his way up and down the slope like an idiot.

The moral of the story is that tech people are largely incompetent in the outdoors.

I had photos but they might be gone because my archival disk broke. :(

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lil Peeler posted:

Before I left my house I looked at the map and realized we were going through a glacier so I made it a point to bring my trekking poles and traction spikes for some very good boots.

Cool glacier travel setup.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Wearing a hat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lil Peeler posted:

I've been to Rainier twice (PNW represent). The first time I just met up with my dad and we walked around at the visitor center for a while. The second time I hiked to Camp Muir (the jumping off point for summit attempts) with a techie idiot who was woefully unprepared.

Before I left my house I looked at the map and realized we were going through a glacier so I made it a point to bring my trekking poles and traction spikes for some very good boots. The guy I was hiking with (a legit techie idiot) brought some tennis shoes and a quart of water.

I spent eight hours watching him slip and slide his way up and down the slope like an idiot.

The moral of the story is that tech people are largely incompetent in the outdoors.

I had photos but they might be gone because my archival disk broke. :(

I was ok with just some good boots. Didn't go with clamp-ons or poles. Did bring some canteens and a hiking lunch though. 15ish mile round-trip hike wasn't too bad, went in August. Hiking the glacier trail was super foggy, so I didn't get to see much, but I'd still recommend it to anyone browsing this subforum.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Powercrazy posted:

I was ok with just some good boots. Didn't go with clamp-ons or poles. Did bring some canteens and a hiking lunch though. 15ish mile round-trip hike wasn't too bad, went in August. Hiking the glacier trail was super foggy, so I didn't get to see much, but I'd still recommend it to anyone browsing this subforum.

I'm not talking black Diamond crampons, just some yaktrak style chains

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm probably an idiot but how hard is it to summit in the summer? It looked incredibly easy when I got to Muir in August and I felt like I could have kept going if I had better gear.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ice axe, harness and crampons are needed, or at least that's the gear I was told to get before the climb plans with some buddies fell through and I never did it. :(

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

im gay posted:

I'm probably an idiot but how hard is it to summit in the summer? It looked incredibly easy when I got to Muir in August and I felt like I could have kept going if I had better gear.

It's not hugely technical by mountaineering standards but it is a big step up from the other big Cascade volcanoes. Standard estimate for Muir to the summit is 6-8 hours and half that back to Muir. Climbing parties do the midnight start because if a storm comes it tends to roll in in the afternoon.

If you want to get a big mountain view that isn't as technical or lengthy a climb look into Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Adams. Both are non-technical climbs with amazing views. St. Helens is just a long uphill hike, and so is Adams if you have crampons and an ice axe and some minimal skill with them.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Have any Goons done any Ski Mountaineering on Rainier? Skiing it is one of the things that is on my bucket list.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

im gay posted:

Nah, you're no idiot my good man! Have I got some fun facts:

All mountains look deceptively easy. It's especially comical when you have mountains next to each other, if you succeed in climbing one you almost feel like you can jump onto the next even though you put yourself through hell to get where you are. But don't be pessimistic, it's so much fun to think it's easy, find it hard, and then be like pff that was easy lying to yourself when you conquer!

Ranier is strange in that it's situated in a temperate climate, and gets teratons or something such of precipitation. This makes for tremendous glaciers that flow fast, which translate to crevasses literally everywhere. Here's a fun challenge for you: open a terrain map of Mt Hood (for example. Beware that not all places have terrain at enough detail). The easiest way up is pretty obvious, eh? The map is suggestive of crevassed areas (cracks in the terrain shading), so you can easily pick a safe and gentle ascent. Not to mention all the steep areas and sheer cliffs that would stop anyone. Now try the same on Mt Ranier and try not to go WTF.

The good news is that the easy route is popular (in summer, yes). So if you stick to the beaten path and have a couple friend to haul your rear end out of any cracks you fall into (solo climbing is rare because of this, and you need a special permit in which you argue your mad skillz), you'll do ok. Pretty safe.

Another detail you have to worry about is altitude sickness. This one is pretty high. Normal fatass people like me attempting to do lesser climbs in a day are likely to get a nasty headache at least. On Ranier, HAPE isn't that unusual for experienced peeps even. Spending a night or two at moderate elevations (8k - 10k ft) works wonders though.

HTH!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Altitude sickness loving sucks, I got a minor but obvious case once on a fairly low peak that I ascended too quickly and as a result wasn't acclimated even at only 9000'. We drove from 3000' to 7500' in an hour and a half then blitzed up the mountain fast as we could. It wasn't anything physiologically damaging or imminently life-threatening, but enough lack of oxygen to the brain that at one point I was too confused to go any farther and started freaking out and shaking. Glad I wasn't alone that day, could have been difficult to get back down :toot:

So yeah, don't make any common mistakes and get that, or worse than that. Not worth it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Went to Rainier back in 2014, made it up to the start of the Muir snowfield before heading back (would have gone on a little further, but we didn't have trekking poles and my wife had her low-cut hiking shoes rather than her boots on). That was probably our favorite hike there, but the hike out to Fremont Lookout from Sunrise was really cool, too.

Picnic Princess posted:

Altitude sickness loving sucks, I got a minor but obvious case once on a fairly low peak that I ascended too quickly and as a result wasn't acclimated even at only 9000'. We drove from 3000' to 7500' in an hour and a half then blitzed up the mountain fast as we could. It wasn't anything physiologically damaging or imminently life-threatening, but enough lack of oxygen to the brain that at one point I was too confused to go any farther and started freaking out and shaking. Glad I wasn't alone that day, could have been difficult to get back down :toot:

So yeah, don't make any common mistakes and get that, or worse than that. Not worth it.

The worst I've gotten from altitude sickness was a splitting headache and some pretty bad nausea, but that poo poo sucks. Similar situations both times it happened to me, just pushed myself too hard too fast on the trail after a decent elevation change from driving.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I experienced altitude sickness a few years ago on my first trip to Colorado. Also kind of minor case but still not a pleasant experience and something I don't want to experience again.

Flew from Chicago to Rocky Mountain National Park and hiked up to 9500 ish feet (all within about 8 hours). Headache, no appetite, nausea, couldn't sleep at night. Nothing like not being able to hold down food when you're burning calories with every step, not being able to sleep when you're exhausted, and a throbbing headache when you're trying to enjoy a vacation.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
A few buddies and I are setting up a Summer climb of Rainier, we are all fairly backpacking experienced so not too worried about succeeding the actual climb. The thing we are doing to make sure we will handle it is doing Adams/Hood/Baker before hand.

We are working up some training hikes to be sure we have the mettle but again, not too worried.

Did Florence Peak last week to wear in my new boots. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/florence-peak

Snow was poo poo, too soft to not wear snow shoes but too packed to get good trail. I stand by my previous statements that snowshoeing is not something people should do unless you have to.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Do you guys have any mountaineering experience or just backpacking? It's not clear from your post and I think it is very inadvisable to try Rainier without at the very least thoroughly studying mountaineering texts, practicing techniques a lot, and maybe taking some courses. Its good that you are attempting some less technical climbs first, but its 100% possible to shlep your way to the top of Mt Baker without really knowing what you are doing, and then find yourself in a very bad situation on Rainier.

I don't mean to be patronizing or underestimate your ability or anything, but lots of people have failed to give that mountain the respect it deserves and there are now lots of skeletons.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know mount hood is less technical in that it is shorter and a larger portion of the climb is just slogging up a snow slope, but is it really a warm up? I don't know the actual stats like death per attempt or whatever, but based on Google they've killed roughly the same number. Also depending on conditions that top section of hood seems like it could be more difficult that any pitch on Rainer, but I that's just my impression, anybody more familiar?

Although, "depending on conditions" touring The Mall in DC can be harder than Rainer

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Morbus posted:

Do you guys have any mountaineering experience or just backpacking? It's not clear from your post and I think it is very inadvisable to try Rainier without at the very least thoroughly studying mountaineering texts, practicing techniques a lot, and maybe taking some courses. Its good that you are attempting some less technical climbs first, but its 100% possible to shlep your way to the top of Mt Baker without really knowing what you are doing, and then find yourself in a very bad situation on Rainier.

I don't mean to be patronizing or underestimate your ability or anything, but lots of people have failed to give that mountain the respect it deserves and there are now lots of skeletons.

I would disagree with this. The beaten path up Rainer has preventable dangers, a large part of prevention is going up as a group. But that beaten path is... beaten. Follow it with common sense, take it easy, acclimate, and you're likely ok (disclaimer: I've only read & heard, not tried). Heck, that beaten path is even groomed and there are bridges across some crevasses, because it's profitable for the guides. Rainier is the Everest of the US in the sense that there's a lot of clueless loons led up by the experienced looking to make a buck.

Mt Baker on the other hand, you're very likely to do this without even knowing about it:

It's remote. Noone will hear you scream. That's actually Mt Baker in the picture, if there's any doubt.

Hood's popular southern approach is uncomparable to either mountain, because there's only one crevasse (bergschrund actually) near the top which some people choose to cross, but it can be totally avoided. Hood's danger is falling or getting lost, which happens a lot mainly due to its popularity. There's no significant glacier travel, just big, persistent snowfields (Palmer glacier is no longer considered a glacier).

meselfs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2016

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Morbus posted:

No offense taken, we've all taken our mountaineering courses, crevasse training, etc. I'm probably the least experienced in the group, one of us has attempted it before. I'm well aware of the dangers. I'm also totally open to any resources you might recommend though, good reading is good reading

My two biggest concerns are crevasse, and weather(my job). Since we are local we shouldn't have any issue planning around the forecast, no reason we shouldn't hit ideal conditions. I do naval forecasts on a pretty regular basis and am familiar with the more unique weather patterns of the cascade range from years of backpacking. Since my group is much more experienced I'm leaning on them, but I'm also not a complete moron. (hooks up baby carrier, laces tennis shoes)

The less technical climbs each contain an element we aim to practice whether it's glacial travel, long backpack, or technical climb; before going for the big one.

I mean we could just be like every other rich idiot and just pay to have a guided trip shlep us up to the top.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 27, 2016

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

meselfs posted:

Hood's popular southern approach is uncomparable to either mountain, because there's only one crevasse (bergschrund actually) near the top which some people choose to cross, but it can be totally avoided. Hood's danger is falling or getting lost, which happens a lot mainly due to its popularity. There's no significant glacier travel, just big, persistent snowfields (Palmer glacier is no longer considered a glacier).

I haven't done hood but a friend described front pointing up steep icy snow above the bergschrund, and being lucky to find a mountaineering club willing to share their belay for descending the same slope. I did do Rainer, and ya there are icy death pits everywhere, but it felt like just a walk up. I guess they just hit hood in a tougher snowpack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Epitope posted:

I haven't done hood but a friend described front pointing up steep icy snow above the bergschrund, and being lucky to find a mountaineering club willing to share their belay for descending the same slope. I did do Rainer, and ya there are icy death pits everywhere, but it felt like just a walk up. I guess they just hit hood in a tougher snowpack?

Yes. It sounds like they went up the "pearly gates", which was considered the easiest way until about a decade ago. It's still easy some years/hours, but can also be pure steep ice which most people aren't equipped to handle. The more consistently "easy" way is to go west of that, max slope 40° and no crevasses* or ice. Don't fall still; if you fall, there's much more space to stop**, but if you don't, you might fall into the volcanoe's anus (it has happened). I'd much rather go down a bottomless icy death pit.

Props to your friend for doing that (I'd freak out! the bergschrund is right under that section. You fall, you die) and to you for Rainier!

*Normally. These last two years are completely whack.
**If you use all that space, you've probably accumulated a few broken bones and aren't stopping yourself.

• Locked thread