Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

George H.W. oval office posted:

Also this random sunset thing. Anyone know what's going on here?

It's a crepuscular ray if it's on the west horizon at sunset, and an anti-crepuscular ray if you're looking to the east. It's a shadow cast on the atmosphere, usually by a cloud or tall peak.

Edit:

Sometimes they can even be below you! Here's one I saw from a plane flying over the Strait of Malacca.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
:spooky::spoopy: frosty fog when i was walking my dog late yesterday afternoon just in time for halloween xD :spooky:

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Went hiking with my cousin at Jones Gap State Park in South Carolina today. Really gorgeous fall colors and just the type of strenuous hike I've been missing out on since moving to Long Island. 1700' climb from the trailhead to the waterfall we visited. Some great geology for a rock nerd like me, too.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Stunning waterfall!

I had a great hike on the Cumberland Trail 'Grassy Cove' section yesterday. Began at Black mountain overlook and went across to Brady mountain overlook before heading back. 14 miles with ~3800ft cumulative gain meant I got my money's worth at a local buffet afterward.

From Brady Mountain:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Went hiking in Jasper like four weeks ago and almost died:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Jasper owns! Glad you could enjoy it!

I went on an overnight camping trip teaching grade 9 kids winter survival skills in Peter Lougheed PP in Kananaskis last weekend myself.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

Jasper owns! Glad you could enjoy it!

I went on an overnight camping trip teaching grade 9 kids winter survival skills in Peter Lougheed PP in Kananaskis last weekend myself.

Is this an edit or did you have a bunch of kids throw only green glow sticks in the air at the same time or some poo poo? God drat it's beautiful, I'd rather take my chances with survival than return from a place like that

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I did Lake Waikaremoana in the north-east of New Zealand's North Island a couple of months ago and finally got around to uploading pics.

Lake Waikaremoana by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

extra stout posted:

Is this an edit or did you have a bunch of kids throw only green glow sticks in the air at the same time or some poo poo? God drat it's beautiful, I'd rather take my chances with survival than return from a place like that

This was actually their teacher going into the trees with a headlamp for some unknown reason. Completely unplanned, I have no clue what he was doing and he didn't know I was there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I totally took a photo this morning.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Gonna dump a trip report here from last August. I just take phone pictures though so they're not super awesome quality ones like some people here take but I don't have the desire to get a fancy pants camera and learn how to take awesome pics either :)

I do kind of want to get a more point and shoot small camera though if it'd improve the picture quality a bit. Clicking on these pictures should give a better res version though, they seem a bit compressed in order to make the size smaller

Anyways, I hiked the first part of the Sierra High Route with my brother-in-law in August. It's a mostly cross country route from SEKI to Yosemite that tries to stay up above the treeline in the high Sierra as much as possible. Doing the whole thing would take weeks and our trip more or less was a loop so we did the first section and then looped back on some trails mostly to end up where we started.

We started down at Road's End in Kings Canyon National Park and stayed a night in a campsite there so we could get an early start. The first day was basically 8 miles and 5k feet in elevation gain right off the bat so we wanted to get going on that quickly.

Heading up early one you can look across to the other side of the canyon and see the rock formation known as the Sphinx. Phone camera's not being known for their ability to capture depth, this picture doesn't quite do it justice but you can see the outcropping

One of these days I want to do a quick trip in that direction and go cross country to Sphinx Lakes, then up and over the Great Western Divide before looping back.

Anyways, we set a pretty good pace and ended up doing the 8 miles and 5k feet in 4 hours, then ate lunch at the top. From there we set off cross country to Grouse Lake. We could have stopped there for the night but it was still early enough in the day we just stopped to swim for awhile before heading on. And the swimming was awesome.

Looking down at Grouse Lake and the mountains south. I think it's a mix of the Great Western Divide, which runs north and south, and the Kings-Kern divide which runs a bit more east and west, with the Kings-Kaweah divide in the distance.

From the lake the route is up and over a saddle and then on to Goat Crest Saddle before dropping down to the first of the Glacier Lakes, where we stayed the night.

A look back up towards Goat Crest Saddle and the kind of terrain we were hiking over. Not really difficult but just a bit of route finding through some slabs to avoid small drops, etc.

And Glacier Lake where we camped

The next day we dropped down past another Glacier Lake and kept heading down through Glacier Valley until we picked up a trail that heads to State Lakes. Seems like a pretty un-visited area, the trail is a bit away from the main trail through that area. A short bit on the trail and then we split off past Horseshoe Lakes and up to Windy Ridge and towards Grey Pass.

A shot from higher up showing one of the big glacial canyons that Kings Canyon and the area is known for

I *think* that's looking up Goddard Creek towards Enchanted Gorge and some of the rougher, more remote terrain in the park. I've heard from people who've hiked through Enchanted Gorge and apparently it's very rough and slow going, to the tune of under 5 miles in a day.

Grey Pass dropped us down into a basin where the south fork of Cartridge Creek originates. Saw a small group of people headed the other way but that was about the extent of people we saw on this first stretch. Would love to spend time exploring this area though. I don't feel like I came close to being able to capture what a great area it is

We rested and had lunch there and then started uphill to White Pass. Pretty much just a straight uphill slog...could certainly take more time and zig zag back and forth on easier slopes but we felt we could handle just going straight up the steeper parts

IIRC this was just one of the last slabs to walk up before the top of White Pass

The traverse from White Pass to Red Pass is mostly moving horizontally across some jagged and sloppy small talus and then dropping down to Marion Lake (named after the wife ofJoseph LeConte, one of the original explorers of the Sierras and co-founder of the Sierra club).

Looking down to Marion Lake, Lakes Basin in the background, and the next big pass of the trip.

More Marion Lake

We were tired but hiked on a bit more into Lakes Basin and camped overlooking a big unnamed lake

The next day we journey'd on through Lakes Basin towards Frozen Lake Pass, probably the most difficult and definitely the most tedious pass we'd climb. The JMT used to run through Lakes Basin and up over Cartridge Pass, before traversing down along the South Fork of the Kings River to where it runs now. I'm not 100% sure of the old path without looking it up right now but I would guess that instead of turning up towards the Palisades Lakes and towards Mather Pass like it does now, it used to continue down the canyon along the Middle Fork of the Kings River before turning up Cartridge Creek and up into Lakes Basin.

This is looking across Lakes Basin towards Cartridge Pass

Frozen Lake Pass crosses the barrier between Lakes Basin and Upper Basin, which the JMT now runs through on its journey south. The majority of it is a talus slog, with the added bonus of the first 50 feet or so on the east facing side being very loose and sloppy sandy gravel. On the whole, however, it's mostly just tedious rather than dangerous.

We looked at it, tried to identify some routes, and then said "gently caress it let's just go straight up the thing"

From the top looking back across Lakes Basin. Cartridge Pass again in the middle left.

Looking down the east side into Upper Basin. The small lake is the "frozen lake", but by now is often ice free at this time of year. The way down was again mostly a long long talus slog. When we got near the bottom we ran into a couple of guys who had started out trying to do the High Route north to south, but gave up on doing it strictly and had been doing a mix of trail and off trail for awhile.

Looking back at the pass from Upper Basin, it's the low notch almost right in the middle of the picture (slightly to the left)

From there we cruised up Mather Pass on the JMT, heading northbound. Suddenly people were everywhere, it was a bit disconcerting but not really unexpected. The trip down from Mather and past the Palisade's Lakes was tougher than the hike up Mather Pass and we were pretty beat by the time we got to the outlet of the lower lake. A bit of a rest and we were ready to head off trail again and up Cirque Pass. I wish I had taken more pictures on the way up because it was a pretty fun pass to do. It was marked as potentially more difficult with some possible class 3 sections, but we found it a nice mix of slab scrambling, talus, and grassy ramps. At the top you come upon this little cirque and can see the actual top of the pass.

Down the other side again wasn't too bad despite some sketchy descriptions and we camped at the unnamed lake on the other side. It was a pretty neat campsite, feeling completely isolated and surrounded by peaks. A goofy panorama shot attempts to give some sense of it but it flattens things out, the peaks felt a lot closer and taller

Potluck pass was next in the morning and we somehow had more trouble with it than any other pass because we took a bit of a wrong turn. The pass involves scrambling up some soft dirt/gravel section and then traversing over some rocks and slabs to the actual pass, but we took a wrong turn thinking we needed to get up on top of some ledges and spent 30 minutes trying to navigate through increasing difficult terrain until we thought "this shouldn't be this hard", and backtracked to where we made a left/right decision and went the other way. Turns out it was literally an easy 5 minute stroll going that direction.

Traversing to Barrett Lakes and over Knapsack Pass would wrap up the cross country section of the High Route that we were doing, and was a pretty nice hike under the peaks of the Palisades. We stopped to do some more swimming at one of the Barrett Lakes before heading over Knapsack

The top of Knapsack looks over Dusy Basin, a beautiful but busy area. We immediately ran into several groups of people who were climbing up the pass from Dusy Basin (possibly to climb one of the peaks, I'm not sure) and after dropping down to the basin and picking up the trail, saw quite a few more people. It's one of the major trails in from the east side of the Sierras so it gets a lot of traffic.

We were hoping to meet up with my dad that day so we didn't spend much time in Dusy Basin, but headed right down the trail into LeConte Canyon. We should have rested and eaten and filled up on water first but I guess we just wanted to get that section done. It's a lonnnng section even going downhill and by that time of day things were also pretty warm. Langille Peak makes a nice background for the descent though

We were pretty tired and thirsty when we got to the LeConte Ranger station so we stopped to rest. It's a bit of a weird area...very pretty stretch of trail between Muir Pass north of us and where the JMT splits off towards Palisades Lakes, but extremely crowded. We knew my dad might be in the area doing an unrelated trip he had planned where he hiked a long stretch of the PCT from Donnor Pass heading south, but we thought we'd have to hike back up the JMT towards Muir Pass to meet up with him (as was our original plan to see if we could find him). Before we started off though I checked the message board at the ranger station and discovered a note from him that he was actually camped just down the trail. Great! We didn't have to go hike 5 more miles uphill! It was good to see him and chat for the evening.

He got off to an early start in the morning and continued on the JMT, while we went straight south down the Middle Fork of the Kings River. The trail was quite overgrown with berry bushes and covered in bear poo poo, along with being rocky and annoying in other spots. In addition, we were losing a lot of elevation so things got warmer and more muggy as the day went on. It felt more tiring and tedious than expected and we missed the high country a lot by that point. There were some nice water falls

We made camp at Simpson Meadow and just tried to relax for the rest of the day.

Also saw a bear from a distance, meandering along the trail.

Tackling a tough climb was the first thing to do in the morning, going from under 6k feet to almost 10k feet, but we still felt better about getting up there in elevation again. Our plan was to jump off of the trail and head to the Volcanic Lakes to stay the night. It was definitely a different feel than the high peaks we had been around before but still felt good to be off the beaten path

Originally we had planned to hike out from there, but we had an extra day in our schedule due to how things had worked out so we decided to go cross country back to Grouse Lake for the last night and then have an "easy" downhill to the trail head the last morning.

One more shot of the Volcanic Lakes area

Another relaxing afternoon at Grouse Lake spent snoozing, playing cards, fishing (nothing biting)

The last day we pounded down the trail pretty quickly and were out before noon, grabbed a shower, cheeseburger, and beer, and then drove back to civilization

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Couldn't follow the links as your flickr page is set to private, but the quality isn't that bad for phone pics. It's too bad you say you're not into learning photography, because they're actually pretty well-shot, especially the first two and the second tent pic

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Wafflecopper posted:

Couldn't follow the links as your flickr page is set to private, but the quality isn't that bad for phone pics. It's too bad you say you're not into learning photography, because they're actually pretty well-shot, especially the first two and the second tent pic

Just don't really have the money and time to dive into it :\ Can only do so much with the time and resources I have

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Levitate posted:

Just don't really have the money and time to dive into it :\ Can only do so much with the time and resources I have
You could probably grab a dirt cheap body and kit lens for probably around $150 that is still a good shooter.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The part of North County in San Diego I live in is home to the Lake Calavera preserve. It's close enough that I just walk there and go for short hikes whenever, as there are a series of official trails and use-trails. On Wednesday I decided to combine a bunch of different trails to make a 7-mile loop. Here are some pictures!

Due to the rain everything is green now. Usually a lot of the shrubs are dead and it's different shades of brown

Some monkey flowers

Zoom in on a powerplant near the beach in Carlsbad. The water is about 4-5 miles away from where I was standing.

Mount Calavera? Or whatever they call it now used to be a volcano 3 million years ago. After it erupted it formed a plug and this is what is left.

One of the trails to the top goes along the caldera rim. A comparison of the trail from Wednesday and last November.

View of the caldera wall

Lake Calavera was made in the '40s. It's seen better days before the drought.

Zoomed in on Mt. San Jacinto in the distance.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So as I've said elsewhere, I spent the first 2 months of this year working in wildlife rehabilitation in northern Belize. So while not hiking related, I think you all might enjoy a bunch of cute photos of the animals I worked with, and some scenery.

I woke up to this lagoon every morning.

Max is a baby Yucatan Black Howler Monkey who was confiscated from the illegal exotic pet trade.

Hope is a baby Antillean Manatee who was born prematurely during Hurricane Earl and found washed up into someone's backyard 200m from shore. She was several pounds lighter than a newborn.

Full moonrise over the lagoon.

Venus was especially bright in January.

We had these awesome microburst storms where it would torrential downpour for less than a minute.

My main job was caring for the adult Geoffroy's Spider Monkeys. They're an endangered species, incredibly intelligent, and very strong. This is Mel. She had a very odd personality, and she often tried to grab at me. She managed to bite my finger, which sheared half the nail clean off and split the tip of the finger completely open.

L.C. was a manatee that was rescued after being struck by a boat. As a result she had a punctured lung that was inflating her thoracic cavity with air, and she was unable to submerge to feed. They tried several times to allow the air to escape via large needle and pump, but each time it refilled. A veterinarian visited from Texas and brought an ultrasound machine. It was decided that she would never be able to recover from her injuries and live a pain-free life, so the decision was made to euthanize her. I was present for the necropsy, and it was found she had multiple fractured ribs on top of the punctured lung that were causing her great suffering. It was really interesting to watch the necropsy. They tested the lungs by putting a large syringe tube into the bronchi and inflating it by mouth because there was no machine to do it.

Moose is one of four puppies that were spotted wandering in the countryside with no mother. Likely abandoned.

There were a lot of Florida Bark Scorpions around.

And several species of huntsman spiders. Yes, that is a 2x4.

The galactic center and zodiacal light shortly before dawn.

Brown basilisks were a common sight.

Nikki is a white-face capuchin who was slightly insane but completely loveable. She was imported into Belize, as they are not native to the country, and confiscated by the Forestry Department. It's not known where she came from, so she sadly can't be released.

There was a huge population of wild white-nose coati, because the monkeys often drop fruit on the ground, which provides a lot of snacks for the coati.

Rikki was my favourite monkey I cared for. She had these incredible pale blue eyes and loved to groom my hair.

This is a female currasow. There were a few being cared for that were injured rescues.

Video screenshot of me giving baby Hope some much needed socialization. Baby manatees usually spend every waking moment of their first year glued to their mother's side.

One night a potoo showed up.

Ocelia is a rescue ocelot. They're unsure if she's fit for release, though, as she may have hearing problems.

Red-rumped tarantula.

There are several other manatees being cared for. This is either Mitch or Lucky, I didn't spend any time with them so I can't tell them apart.

My hut is on the left. We slept with the door open because we're cool that way. I stayed on a top bunk. I found that even having a sheet under me was too hot to sleep, so it was just a bare mattress and a mosquito net. I love every second of it.

This is lunch. They hired cooks from the local village to prepare our lunch for us, because there was typically 30 people that needed to be fed. Meat wasn't common, as it's expensive and keeping enough chickens to feed that many people every day was expensive as well. We had meat maybe once or twice a week. But it was fine because they usually made amazing vegetarian dishes instead. So I have rice, beans, eggplant in marinara, chickpeas in marinara, mashed potatoes, fryjacks with a hint of cinnamon, fried plantains, salad, and cucumber with vinegar. What's missing here is the fresh tortillas they would make by hand every day as well. We were loving spoiled.

Pancho was a huge flirt and would puff out his chest so I would scratch it every time I walked by him.

Pippa also had gorgeous blue eyes.

Frolic was also a flirt. He is also a full adult and actually fathered a monkey after being rescued.

Frisky is the mom.

And Fig is the baby! He's two years old now. The first month I was there, he was in the monkey nursery because he had fallen and broken an arm, and was in a cast. But it was completely healed in late January and he was reunited with Frisky.

Duma is a total sweetheart and very caring. She saw my finger one day and reached out to gently touch it and closely inspect it. She also loved her red hammock and would happily sit in it after feedings.

Izzie is one of the sadder monkey stories. She was brought in as a tiny infant with 3 gunshot wounds and a shattered arm. She's all healed up now at 4 years old.

Rafiki is a permanent resident and will never be released. He has severe scoliosis and his spine is bent both vertically and horizontally. It's likely he was kept in too small a caged when he was young and it impacted his growth, or he was mishandled and abused. Or both.

Diego is a rescue Margay. I believe he had the forestry department called on him for raiding chicken coops, and they decided to have him removed rather than outright killing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3rB7hx6JqI
And a video! Somehow I was offered to sit in the cockpit of a 4 seater Cessna and filmed landing at the San Pedro airport on Ambergris Caye.

I'm not sorry at all for this long post.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 8, 2017

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I'm not sorry for reading it. Incredible stuff.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Picnic Princess, I love you and all of your posts. I've learned so much from you since this hiking board started. I just lurk around here but between this last post and the avalanche stuff, and your thread, I had to tell you how awesome you are.

And to keep with the spirit of the thread, here's a pic from last July from a fun hiking spot near my house (Boyce-Mayview Park, just south of Pittsburgh, PA). We were taking a break as it was around 85 degrees and 80% humidity and noticed a dinosaur wandering around in the woods :eek:

I give up. I can't resize this damned picture and I'm just going to hang my head in shame and get more coffee.

Pig Head fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 11, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wow, thank you! I certainly hope I can continue to provide a bunch of interesting info! I'm currently at home resting for several weeks because of complications from pneumonia and it loving sucks. So no hiking and fun for me for a while.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Picnic Princess posted:

Wow, thank you! I certainly hope I can continue to provide a bunch of interesting info! I'm currently at home resting for several weeks because of complications from pneumonia and it loving sucks. So no hiking and fun for me for a while.
Oh dear. You have my sympathies and good juju. Pneumonia is ungodly scary. My mom's been in the ICU twice for it and had to be put in an induced coma both times. Second time happened (in my nondoctor opinion) because she tried to get back to normal too quickly. Rest as much as you can even if it makes you crazy.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I was a genius and went to Mexico City while it was at its worst. If I was there for more than two nights I likely would have been hospitalized/died. One of those "people who die of air pollution" statistics.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eastern NM

Palo Duro Canyon, Tx

tbh I don't get what was so special about this viewpoint but I took it anyway

Park Ranch Cave

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Picnic, your pictures and stories are a delight. Get well soon!

Trip report! Every single time I try to visit Mt Hood, this cursed volcano, there's agony. I usually chalk it up to learning with optimism, but on my way down I looked around and thought to myself: "I'm the unhappiest guy here".

To beat altitude sickness, I camped at just under 9000 ft. I had to melt a lot of snow. You know those alcohol burners I rave about? Well, I wasted a lot of fuel because I set it up hastily, not heating efficiently. Then, when I set it up better, I accidentally tipped it, spilling burning fuel and fresh melt. Then, the next morning, a gust blew it down, another spill.

Slept ok. Slightly cold; slightly worried about avalanches, nearby artillery fire and "considerable" avalanche hazard forecast didn't help.

The biggest disaster of course was the decision to continue. Getting to the summit was straightforward, uneventful, and beautiful. Getting down... I hastily shoved things into my backpack at camp, and by the time I was in the car I was more dehydrated then I've ever been. I couldn't eat much when I got home.

No regrets.

Poked waist deep into a baby crevasse going up, stopped by a rock. It was so obviously there when I got out, a sagging line + slight crack + suggestive coloring. This spot usually doesn't form crevasses, only when there's a lot of snow, when the snowfield above spills onto the canyon below. Lots of huge rear end cornices, the likes of which I've never seen before.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That is so loving cool, holy poo poo.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

meselfs posted:

Picnic, your pictures and stories are a delight. Get well soon!

Trip report! Every single time I try to visit Mt Hood, this cursed volcano, there's agony. I usually chalk it up to learning with optimism, but on my way down I looked around and thought to myself: "I'm the unhappiest guy here".

To beat altitude sickness, I camped at just under 9000 ft. I had to melt a lot of snow. You know those alcohol burners I rave about? Well, I wasted a lot of fuel because I set it up hastily, not heating efficiently. Then, when I set it up better, I accidentally tipped it, spilling burning fuel and fresh melt. Then, the next morning, a gust blew it down, another spill.

Slept ok. Slightly cold; slightly worried about avalanches, nearby artillery fire and "considerable" avalanche hazard forecast didn't help.

The biggest disaster of course was the decision to continue. Getting to the summit was straightforward, uneventful, and beautiful. Getting down... I hastily shoved things into my backpack at camp, and by the time I was in the car I was more dehydrated then I've ever been. I couldn't eat much when I got home.

No regrets.

Poked waist deep into a baby crevasse going up, stopped by a rock. It was so obviously there when I got out, a sagging line + slight crack + suggestive coloring. This spot usually doesn't form crevasses, only when there's a lot of snow, when the snowfield above spills onto the canyon below. Lots of huge rear end cornices, the likes of which I've never seen before.

Just wanted to let you know I love snow photos and these are really beautiful.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Grats buddy. Sweet pics and nice report.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Thx guys :).

It got better! A few years ago I asked a local recreational pilot to fly me around the volcano for a photo project. I reached out to him via cold email because of how often he flies around the NW and the awesome pictures he takes.

There are always airplanes buzzing around Mt Hood on a good day (can be annoying), and I wondered if one of them just might be him. So I checked his stream a week later and saw familiar streaky clouds, familiar recent avalanches, and date matching my trip. I confirmed with him that his camera's clock is accurate, and (with my GPS tracks) was able to indentify which speck is meselfs :).

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sweet. The bergschrund is covered now huh

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Yep. Never seen it still covered this late, the bogshack so round, this few crevasses, or this many cornices. There will be hilariously many crevasses with that much snow/ice flowing pretty soon.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
That's legitimately awesome. :black101:

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Went backpacking again, had fun, took photos.

Roaring Plains Pano by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Loop Trail Vista by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Pipeline by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Last Leg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Clouds by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Any suggestions for decent cameras that aren't too big/heavy and would be good for taking nature pics? I have a Nikon DSLR but I don't really want to be lugging it around most of the time, especially if I'm trailrunning or orienteering.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 27, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Depends on what kind of nature. Are you looking to do landscape, or macro, or wildlife, or all of the above?

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Picnic Princess posted:

Depends on what kind of nature. Are you looking to do landscape, or macro, or wildlife, or all of the above?

Mostly landscape I suspect. Stuff like these pictures I took with my iphone while I was doing some orienteering. I'm just hoping to have something that is a step up from what a phone camera can do.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have a couple friends with small Sony Alpha mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses, but I think they're in the same price range as entry level DSLRs. If that's fine, then perhaps something like that?

I wish I could offer a better opinion, but I just take my DSLR everywhere because I'm stubborn.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Search for stuff like "high-end compact" or "compact enthusiast". I don't know if the category has a more standard name but those search terms will take you to a bunch of review roundups. They're point-and-shoot cameras with larger sensors, great for keeping in a pocket. Some of the consensus models have seen crazy price rises after the big sites recommend them but older models are usually pretty cheap used.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

If you have the money, some kind of mirrorless + two lenses would rock. Beware, the cheaper ones (like my Olympus micro 4/3) are ok, but don't have much an edge over the better compacts. On that note, if you want to save space or money, a high end compact camera would work well. Look for one with a big sensor, don't necessarily go for one that has a 100000x zoom.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
IDK, feel like my Note 4 still takes baller pics - way better than my wife's iPhone.

http://m.imgur.com/a/ItXjZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The Fuji XT-10 is still a great camera, and it is quite small. Go with that and the XF 18-55 lens and you have a winner for landscapes.

Edit: If you need even smaller there's micro four thirds and then smaller is the lovely Sony RX100.

• Locked thread