Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Hey guys, some of you may just be getting into the whole hiking thing and may not know that mental state is probably one of the most important factors in walking really far. Psychologists and Hiking Experts both agree that the best way to keep moving is to repeat powerful motivational mantras to yourself; you can also repeat them out loud if you're part of a group.

So please post your hiking mantras, here are a few to get started:

Don't Give Up.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

I will not stop till I reach the top.

Let's do this. (climb mountain)

One more step.. I lied, take another.

I'm going to lie down now, SIKE, no I won't haha

Don't fall over and piss yourself idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"I've got the shits, I'm soaked to the bone, the temperature is falling, and even my blisters have blisters, but at least my pack isn't as heavy as that one time."

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
"It's just walking" :)

dumb crambo
May 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"get hike!" lol. ok so if you didnt get this one, its just like when they say "get hype" but its about hiking instead.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

dumb crambo posted:

"get hike!" lol. ok so if you didnt get this one, its just like when they say "get hype" but its about hiking instead.

yeah that's a good one

i will use it next time

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
'because it's there'

a goon being interviewed about a big cake

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

'If I don't do this, the snp win'

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the entire discography of kanye west. i repeat it over and over from "we don't care" to "send it up" and do my own little inflections and poo poo. i can go for hours with my 'ye

alternately: "If I quit, I have to go back to work. If I quit, I have to go back to work."

Whorelord posted:

'If I don't do this, the snp win'

lmao

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

"ARRRRHHHHH UHHHHH ARRRRRRRRHHHHUUUHHHH"

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lets Hike.. No problem.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Go outside

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

treasure bear posted:

you can also repeat them out loud if you're part of a group.

I've found this work best:

OH gently caress RUN ITS A BEAR

survival instincts kick in, blood gets flowing, and everyone in the group takes off. Not as effective the 3rd or 4th time you try though.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
"Pack it in? Pack it out."

Please don't leave litter and poo poo all over the spaces you use.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

"one more mile"

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Almost there...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

EVery time I hike the song "Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder plays through my head on loop, this gives me power to conquer the trail

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

honestly I don't even need motivation cuz I'm in shape and just love being outdoors :smugdog:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

honestly I don't even need motivation cuz I'm in shape and just love being outdoors :smugdog:

I just hate people, but instead of hiding in a basement with cheetos and dew, I escape into the wilderness.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I just hate people, but instead of hiding in a basement with cheetos and dew, I escape into the wilderness.

Wild animals are good friends for some things, but they don't care about your pictures or find your posts interesting.

...I mean neither do we but you get the idea. (I hope this wasn't too "below the belt," hiking friend)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Wild animals are good friends for some things, but they don't care about your pictures or find your posts interesting.

...I mean neither do we but you get the idea. (I hope this wasn't too "below the belt," hiking friend)

You are such a gibbon.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My firewood gathering and preparation mantra is always, "gently caress the woods."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I often mutter under my breath that I'm going to kick this mountains rear end once I get to the top you stupid son of a bitch, on longer verticals.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*checks GPS again* Heck yeah I've climbed ninety feet in vertical elevation so far, only got three thousand eight hundred and seventy to go.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

"Get REAL beefy, bitch"
- GBS Anonymous Confessions Thread Submitter/Hero

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

when i'm done here its the mountain that's gonna b tired!

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

In Training posted:

I often mutter under my breath that I'm going to kick this mountains rear end once I get to the top you stupid son of a bitch, on longer verticals.

Sometimes when hiking or biking a very steep hill, i will just yell out "gently caress YOU NATURE!!!!" as loud as I can to take my mind off the pain. On occasion somebody will be turning a corner or cresting over the hill when i yell it and its hilarious to see their faces.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
I like to talk to myself like I'm two people, a hardworking wussy and an arrogant twat.

"Go faster!"
"But I'm going as fast as I can :("
"Faster you miserable piece of rolling poo poo"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

meselfs posted:

I like to talk to myself like I'm two people, a hardworking wussy and an arrogant twat.

"Go faster!"
"But I'm going as fast as I can :("
"Faster you miserable piece of rolling poo poo"

meselfs

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Settle in boys, we just might be here a while

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Its not exactly a mantra, but when I think about going out, I mostly compare it to what else I could be doing. Three hours is enough time to have an outdoor experience that can change my view of the world for a week. Three hours is also enough time for me to idly start a game of Civilization before realizing that I've just wasted three hours playing a boring game. I just try to remember that the time I spend outdoors is way better than the time I spend indoors, being bored.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i like hiking! i love nature! Its beautiful! life is so loving GRAND!!!!!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i have so few real problems or adversity in my life that i have to create arbitrary challenges for myself in order to feel fulfilled

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i have so few real problems or adversity in my life that i have to create arbitrary challenges for myself in order to feel fulfilled

Thats a shame, I set challenges because it is fun to meet a goal, and to conquer a mountain

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

same

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

You should start rock climbing, noting like trying really hard only to get shut down on your project to put things in perspective.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh here's another one "this is pretty much the most awesome thing I want to be doing right now life is rad"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I think of all the douches assholes better than me and it motivates me because I'm like "drat you really gonna let that jabroni outdo you?"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
"video games make you fat and boring, hiking pictures on tinder get you dates"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

[when i'm on a flat or downhill trek] yea haha, excersize now that's my poo poo...wow, kinda hard but i'm doing it for the booty
[after going uphill for about 20 seconds] oh myyy godd...*wheeze* no no gently caress this....imb just gonna get s pair of spanx instead this sisnt worth it jesus

• Locked thread