Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Ive done the Treadwell Incline and wandered around garden of the gods, anyone else have experience or cool places in this region theyve visited? Want to visit Pikes Peak soon but its been pretty cold. Also Ive heard some stories about dudes hiking around where NORAD is located and getting accosted by spec ops looking dudes with MP5s, which is pretty neat imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Red rocks is pretty chill. Good on you for doing the incline, I'm going to try that this spring.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Red rocks is pretty chill. Good on you for doing the incline, I'm going to try that this spring.

I would advise against sprinting down the back side, its really fun but I had huge blisters for like 3 days.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

colorado springs is also an excellent place for getting shot

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

pikes peak is for driving a fast car up imo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cyberbird posted:

pikes peak is for driving a fast car up imo

They've hosed it all up actually, it's all paved, and has lame rear end road cars winning, instead of a suzuki driven by a really cool japanese grandpa

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Wanna try some good winter hikes around town. Any advice?

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

colorado springs is also an excellent place for getting shot

Three mass shootings in the last month and today we've got a home invasion and hostage situation

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Three mass shootings in the last month and today we've got a home invasion and hostage situation

thats ftw

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

yeah but the view is great

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Going to Colorado over Christmas. I was going to propose during a hike at the top of a mountain. Would Loveland pass be a good idea, or are there better places any of you can think of

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

RC Cola posted:

Going to Colorado over Christmas. I was going to propose during a hike at the top of a mountain. Would Loveland pass be a good idea, or are there better places any of you can think of

If by 'hike' you mean 'ski tour with avalanche equipment.' There's a lot of snow, so you're better off at lower altitudes.

But seriously, I'll check my winter hikes guidebook after work.

corillon
Jun 18, 2004

When you giggle you leak piss.
Grimey Drawer
Tons of great trails in the Springs. We are close to Austin Bluff open space and Pulpit Rock so we go hiking around there a bit. Not mountain climbing but for the middle of the city it feels pretty isolated and is very pretty.

Out behind Red Rocks is the Section 16 trail. You can wander over there from Red Rocks. The painted mines out East are neat. I need to start writing down some of the places we go so I remember.

If you want to have a nice day of bike riding the Pikes Peak Greenway trail is awesome.

RC Cola posted:

Where are you going to be in Colorado? It is a big state and takes some time to drive around. It is going to be very cold at the top of every mountain and possibly windy. Loveland is past Breckinridge which is the furthest I have been up in the mountains to the North. I am sure it is gorgeous. As you drive into Breckinridge from the Springs there is an overlook on these high plains that is just awesome in winter time. I am sure you can find something as long as you are not in Eastern CO.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At this time of year you're probably going to need snowshoes or ice spikes for hiking anywhere past the front range, and hiking mountains is basically a no go due to the risk of avalanche. A lot of ski areas have good snowshoeing trails. Hoosier Pass is another good place for that. Hiking around Cheyenne Mountain (NORAD) is fine as long as you stay on the trails.

If you wait til summer I suggest doing the Democrat-Lincoln-Bross trail, which takes you to the summit of three different 14ers in a few hours.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 21, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Of all the 14ers, I'd avoid Pikes Peak like the plague. Commercialized garbage imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, getting to the top and finding a god drat gift store full of a bunch of slovenly blobs who rode the train or drove up kind of takes the wind out of your sails. Still worth doing once, it's a pretty easy hike and the view is great. And if you're really hardcore there's the Ascent half marathon.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

Of all the 14ers, I'd avoid Pikes Peak like the plague. Commercialized garbage imo

It's worth doing once, up Barr. The hike up is beautiful but yeah, highly anticlimactic when you arrive at the summit in a cloud of diesel smoke from the cog. Also the donuts are terrible.

OP, my favorite hike in town is St. Mary's falls. It's at the top of Cheyenne Canon. About 6.2mi and 1500' of gain IIRC. The falls are frozen right now so that's pretty cool. Bring traction or poles because the trail ices over like a MF. Seven Bridges (from the same parking lot) is also cool and good, and Mt. Cutler (a bit up the road from Starsmore Discovery Center) is a good quick after work hike.

I'm a little biased toward N. Cheyenne Canon, I think. :)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Speaking of hill climbs I'm thinking of climbing up from the Crags trailhead this July to watch since that trail intersects the road a couple times, but I've heard they've really locked the race down in the last couple of years. Is it possible to hike up a bit and chill and watch cars or will people be rear end holes and tell me to leave?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
If you're interested in rock climbing 11-mile kicks all kinds of rear end. The faint of heart can visit Garden Of the Gods, tourist trap it is. Also I have to say in the decades when I lived in the Springs, never once had I felt in danger. I wonder if this misrepresentation is what Mexicans feel like.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
11 Mile is indeed awesome, but the Garden ain't for sissies. I've had more terrifying excursions there than anywhere. And Montezuma's Tower is still an iconic climb that should be done at least once.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lacedaemonius posted:

If you're interested in rock climbing 11-mile kicks all kinds of rear end. The faint of heart can visit Garden Of the Gods, tourist trap it is. Also I have to say in the decades when I lived in the Springs, never once had I felt in danger. I wonder if this misrepresentation is what Mexicans feel like.

I've felt in danger plenty of times, but the source of the danger was usually a combination of nature and my own stupidity. Like being on top of a mountain on a cloudy day and seeing my buddy's hair stand straight up. Scariest moment of my life.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

do heroin in aurora

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Save me jeebus posted:

11 Mile is indeed awesome, but the Garden ain't for sissies. I've had more terrifying excursions there than anywhere. And Montezuma's Tower is still an iconic climb that should be done at least once.

Garden of the gods has entire trails that are nothing but horse poop and piss

Also when I lived in the springs people stole my packages and also my license plates. gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I snowshoed in Mayflower Gultch earlier this week. It was very pretty. Also Lovelandpass. I climbed to the summit. It was longer than I expected

• Locked thread