Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Title says it all. Mine is Isle Royale in Lake Superior. It's somewhat of a pain to get to because of having to schedule around ferry or plane rides, but this island is awesome. it's got beaches, inland lakes, swampy mud holes, ridges with views into Canada and loads of wildlife. I've been three or four times now and planning to go again on a fishing trip, since they have a lot of portage trails and you can feed your way across the island with fresh salmon...amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Madre_Oriental_pine-oak_forests

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Selway-Bitterroots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selway-Bitterroot_Wilderness

love it here.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crystal Basin in El Dorado National Forest... FTW.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
when i lived in arkansas my friends and i would climb to the top of sugarloaf mountain and watch the sun set

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

when i lived in arkansas my friends and i would climb to the top of sugarloaf mountain and watch the sun set

That's cool. My friends and I hiked on the Ozarks for 5 days and never saw a single other human being the entire time, which is the only trip I can remember that happening on. It was kinda eerie

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Crystal Basin in El Dorado National Forest... FTW.

You stole my answer

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alnilam posted:

You stole my answer

Have you ever been to Desolation Wilderness. I haven't but the pictures look nice. I want to go after the spring snow is done and the snowpack isn't melting everywhere.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you ever been to Desolation Wilderness. I haven't but the pictures look nice. I want to go after the spring snow is done and the snowpack isn't melting everywhere.

Yasssss

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Appalachian Trail op specifically near the Delaware Water Gap.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Mountains in general but I found I really liked the alpine zone so getting up high enough to be in that is pretty awesome. The high sierra is pretty great and I'm going to attempt to do a part of the Sierra High Route this year if I can, but I'd also love to go back to the Wind Rivers and maybe do what someone dubbed the Wind River High Route

being out of the woods and surrounded by peaks is awesome.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Canadian Rockies are the best.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
olympic national park

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wherever you are not. Haha just joshing you, but sometimes I do want to hike by myself. You know how it is.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Lake Louise has been my favorite so far, and they let you take dogs on the trails.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Dolly Sods in West Virginia

It's reclaimed mining/artillery practice land, and the trees never grew back properly in a lot of places so it's a lot like alpine meadows you'd see out west, with completely different biomes every mile or so. Just incredible.

Red River Gorge in Kentucky is pretty great too, it's got natural arches like what you'd see out in Utah, situated in a gorge that I seem to recall is even older than the grand canyon

Zaleski state park in Ohio is also a great place to check out, lots of local Appalachian history in the way of old villages, abandoned wagon roads, native American burial mounds, great foothills to hike. Shawnee State Forest is very similar, though hillier.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Big South Fork on the Tennessee-Kentucky border is pretty swell.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Black Mountain - San Juan National Forest

You may have noticed one of my two hiking companions there, Duke. He's a trooper.

His sister, Daisy, gets distracted by small animals and won't stay on the trail for long.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 6, 2016

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Flambeau posted:

Big South Fork on the Tennessee-Kentucky border is pretty swell.

drat right. beautiful country

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
East Cleveland

Ecco the Dopefiend
May 3, 2006

Come to the Isle of Tranquilizers... err I mean Tranquility.
Lost Creek Wilderness area about 3 hours southwest of Denver, CO. Gorgeous, off the grid trail with old abandon cabins toward the furthest end. Backpack in and camp out just about once a year.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

Dolly Sods in West Virginia

It's reclaimed mining/artillery practice land, and the trees never grew back properly in a lot of places so it's a lot like alpine meadows you'd see out west, with completely different biomes every mile or so. Just incredible.

Red River Gorge in Kentucky is pretty great too, it's got natural arches like what you'd see out in Utah, situated in a gorge that I seem to recall is even older than the grand canyon

Zaleski state park in Ohio is also a great place to check out, lots of local Appalachian history in the way of old villages, abandoned wagon roads, native American burial mounds, great foothills to hike. Shawnee State Forest is very similar, though hillier.

Hey man .. thank you .. THANK YOU for posting Dolly Sods .. I've never heard of the place and now it is on my have to visit this year list. It looks amazing.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hey man .. thank you .. THANK YOU for posting Dolly Sods .. I've never heard of the place and now it is on my have to visit this year list. It looks amazing.

I gotta get back there myself, it's easily the rival of anything out west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

I gotta get back there myself, it's easily the rival of anything out west

Checking into the Dolly Sods actually lead me to a set of guys on Youtube called "Adventure Archives". Some of the early stuff is of lower quality (still fun to watch), but man did they up their game shortly into it. They have some fantastic videos, mostly Midwest/East Cost (I believe they are from Cincinnati) but they do venture out west a few times too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?AdventureArchives

They cover the Dolly Sods wilderness a few times .. just wetted my appetite even further. We have three people in line to go now in October, most of my gear is arriving this week (new pack, tent, etc). Not sure I've been happier to plan a trip in a LONG time.

• Locked thread