Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

For me, it was 40 days of hiking in Uttarkhand, INdia, which I did when I was 19 as part of the National Outdoor Learning School, or NOLS. The bugs and stuff are crazy.. saw a gently caress huge spider, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

NOLS sounds really fantastic and I'd like to know more about what it's like and if I could work with them.

My personal favorite was a relatively short hike up Mt. Storm King in the Washington Olympic Peninsula. The hike terminates at a lower vista point overlooking Lake Crescent, but if you're stupid and ballsy you can scramble up a chossy scree gorge to a higher ridgeline. The rock is in terrible shape and likely to break on you at any moment so you have to be extremely careful where you place your feet. The overall gain is something like 3000 feet maybe, but the excitement of the broken trail makes it much better.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lil Peeler posted:

NOLS sounds really fantastic and I'd like to know more about what it's like and if I could work with them.

I think it's for if you're pretty rich, and also you may end up taking the outdoors Very Seriously (maybe too seriously?). But it is also fun and you get lots of good skills. So I hear.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
For day hikes, Old Rag in VA is great

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I really liked the night hikes I've done to watch the sunrise from the summit of a mountain. Usually best to do the trail during daytime before you attempt it so you know what to expect. Payoff is mega worth it

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I don't take hikes, I go on hikes.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Mt. Rainier. Take-your-breath away gorgeous.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Mt. Rainier. Take-your-breath away gorgeous.

The Wonderland. Best 11 days ever.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

21 days in the Cimarron Range of the Sangre de Cristos mountains in NM. 200+ miles up and back along the range. Totally worth it.

Turkman
Oct 25, 2015
Favorite day hike was going up to Marion Mountain in the Mt.Jefferson wilderness in Oregon. I don't remember how long it was, but I remember leaving in the morning, getting lost for four hours (there was a mismarked map) and finding our way, then being home for supper, so certainly a day hike.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Combination road trip and walking around cities and national parks of America. Did a loop around the country. I want to do it again, badly.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The ones I think about most are from Zion in Utah... all the way up and down the Narrows one day, and Angel's Landing the next. That was 1998.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hikes around Rainier and in Zion (Narrows in particular was so much fun) are also at the top of my list. Heather / Maple Pass Loop in North Cascades is maybe my favorite day-hike.

Overall, I think a 3-4 day route through the Ansel Adams WIlderness in the eastern Sierra Nevada is my favorite hike. From Devils Postpile to Minaret Lake -> Cecile Lake -> Iceberg lake -> Ediza Lake, then Mt Ritter and Banner Peak, down to Thousand Island Lake, then Garnet and Shadow Lake and exiting through Agnew Meadows. Done as a 4 day trip (it could be done in less but better not to rush imo). Several beautiful alpine lakes, some very fun off-trail portions and scrambling without being technical, snow, an almost 13k summit, excellent campsites, fishing, often completely mosquito free, surprisingly few people once you get off the JMT, gorgeous sunrises, and incredibly, consistently high scenic density. Plenty of time above the treeline but also forested / green sections. Good wildflower opportunities if you go at the right time (though any hike in Washington will pretty much blow the crap out of the Sierra in terms of flowers). Generally warm weather during the days plus plenty of lakes makes for convenient bathing. Is just an all around perfect backpacking trip. If I had to recommend one backpacking trip in the SIerra Nevada this would be it, and its not for lack of competition. Just a very diverse, beautiful, and fun hike.

Also the trailhead is 20 minutes from Mammoth Lakes which 1.) makes for easy acclimatization the night before if you want, and 2.) means you can get a juicy steak and/or cheeseburger + cold beer pretty much immediately after finishing. And since you were at Shadow Lake just before the hike ended, you don't even have to look like a hobo in the restaurant!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Morbus posted:

Hikes around Rainier and in Zion (Narrows in particular was so much fun) are also at the top of my list. Heather / Maple Pass Loop in North Cascades is maybe my favorite day-hike.

Overall, I think a 3-4 day route through the Ansel Adams WIlderness in the eastern Sierra Nevada is my favorite hike. From Devils Postpile to Minaret Lake -> Cecile Lake -> Iceberg lake -> Ediza Lake, then Mt Ritter and Banner Peak, down to Thousand Island Lake, then Garnet and Shadow Lake and exiting through Agnew Meadows. Done as a 4 day trip (it could be done in less but better not to rush imo). Several beautiful alpine lakes, some very fun off-trail portions and scrambling without being technical, snow, an almost 13k summit, excellent campsites, fishing, often completely mosquito free, surprisingly few people once you get off the JMT, gorgeous sunrises, and incredibly, consistently high scenic density. Plenty of time above the treeline but also forested / green sections. Good wildflower opportunities if you go at the right time (though any hike in Washington will pretty much blow the crap out of the Sierra in terms of flowers). Generally warm weather during the days plus plenty of lakes makes for convenient bathing. Is just an all around perfect backpacking trip. If I had to recommend one backpacking trip in the SIerra Nevada this would be it, and its not for lack of competition. Just a very diverse, beautiful, and fun hike.

Also the trailhead is 20 minutes from Mammoth Lakes which 1.) makes for easy acclimatization the night before if you want, and 2.) means you can get a juicy steak and/or cheeseburger + cold beer pretty much immediately after finishing. And since you were at Shadow Lake just before the hike ended, you don't even have to look like a hobo in the restaurant!

I'm doing a version of that hike in July, almost the reverse of it actually. Going in past Shadow Lake, staying near Garnet or Thousand Island Lake, then up over past Nydiver Lakes and hopefully to Cecil or Minaret Lake depending on whether the trail up to Cecil Lake from Iceberg Lake still has a bunch of snow and looks treacherous or not, then back down to the Devil's Postpile and to Red's Meadow for a beer and burger

I went through that area while hiking on the JMT and yeah it's a wonderfully scenic spot and probably even better once you're away from the trail a bit.

e: looking dirty and smelly is part of the badge of honor of backpacking though :colbert:

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 2, 2016

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
probably hiking in tombstone park in the yukon interior. there's no trees so u can just hike wherever u want, camp wherever u want and hike up mountains and get crazy views. in the fall all the mountainsides are orange and yellow from the scrub changing color and its pretty.

hiking in mt. edziza provincial park in northern british columbia was cool too. its a lengthy trek but great scenerey and a volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Jhuliu Trail at Taroko Gorge in Taiwan.

Not a long hike, maybe 2 hrs up and 1.5 hrs down now because they've closed off part of the trail, but just before the turnaround point is a 500m stretch of What The gently caress, as seen on this guy's page:

https://taiwandiscovery.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/a-birds-eye-view-of-taroko-gorge-jhuilu-old-trail/

You have to do this part twice, once going out and once going back. You have a garden hose stapled into a rock wall on one side, and a 2000ft drop off on the other. It's decently windy, and the path narrows to about 20 inches wide in some parts.

I used to have a fear of heights, and it'll still hit occasionally, usually if I'm in the 20-300 ft. range of height, but I've largely gotten over it. This thing had me with a death grip on the garden hose nearly the entire way out and back, with one or two pictures taken where I try to let go and smile and wave and ignore the part of my brain screaming at me to grab back on.

Unbelievable views, though, and the rest of the park is pretty beautiful as well, with some picturesque temples and another hike through a tunnel that has waterfalls via an artesian well that was created when they were trying to dig a road through it.

• Locked thread