Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Hurrr, I need a fancy walking stick from REI! No way I could ever just use a stick I found on the ground! Shut up and take my money! :v:

What a bunch of fucktards. If you use a store bought walking stick then your literally trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My dad (PBUH) had a dope rear end walking stick from Arizona that he had laminated and wrapped.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
He found it btw

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

People who use store bought hiking mat's make me sick. There is all this perfectly natural, healthy ground for you to sleep on but you're such a consumer whore you need to carry your own special little patch around. Yeah sure, your $300 dollar chinese sweatshop-made petrochemical balloon will make you feel soooo much better than nature's own creation, offering itself up to fulfil your sleeping needs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Atari posted:

People who use store bought hiking mat's make me sick. There is all this perfectly natural, healthy ground for you to sleep on but you're such a consumer whore you need to carry your own special little patch around. Yeah sure, your $300 dollar chinese sweatshop-made petrochemical balloon will make you feel soooo much better than nature's own creation, offering itself up to fulfil your sleeping needs.

I unironically prefer to camp with a sleeping bag and a tarp. Sometimes if there's good trees nearby I'll get fancy and use a rope to hang the tarp up (i have a tiny one to sleep on instead of getting wet).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You should probably just use your feet for walking.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i use a swordcane op

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Store bought clothing is pathetic. Just kill a deer and skin it for a loincloth you lazy fucker

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
After your hike you can place the stick in view for someone else to use.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I have a cheap set I switch out the baskets on and use as ski poles. Sometimes they are nice to guy out my tarp. I've used it to help saw tree limbs before and estimate slope angles. I can also tie my knife to the end and shank a fool.

I made a nice alder walking stick after stealing it from a beaver. Has the tooth marks on the top and I gave it a copper tip.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Free Market Mambo posted:

I have a cheap set I switch out the baskets on and use as ski poles. Sometimes they are nice to guy out my tarp. I've used it to help saw tree limbs before and estimate slope angles. I can also tie my knife to the end and shank a fool.

I made a nice alder walking stick after stealing it from a beaver. Has the tooth marks on the top and I gave it a copper tip.
Wow! Awesome choice of wood. [looks up from glossy photograph of an Atari 2600] Oh my God you cannot be serious? Alder? You might as well have gone to Wal Mart and purchased a store bought walking stick made in Taiwan out of styrofoam and rubberized plastic you loving savage. And copper on the tip. Please. Teh Lulz! Nice epic may may name and avatar and custom title text. This has got to be some GBS 2.0 trolling poo poo. gently caress off.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I use mine for backcountry split boarding. They are pretty great.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wormskull posted:

Wow! Awesome choice of wood. [looks up from glossy photograph of an Atari 2600] Oh my God you cannot be serious? Alder? You might as well have gone to Wal Mart and purchased a store bought walking stick made in Taiwan out of styrofoam and rubberized plastic you loving savage. And copper on the tip. Please. Teh Lulz! Nice epic may may name and avatar and custom title text. This has got to be some GBS 2.0 trolling poo poo. gently caress off.

I just want to talk about the outdoors, forum friend.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picnic Princess posted:

Store bought clothing is pathetic. Just kill a deer and skin it for a loincloth you lazy fucker

I want to do this actually.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

I like products by brands most trusted for adventurers, walkers.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

bought one to help with descents due to lovely knee, some guy stepped on it, broke it, it is now G A R B A G E (just like me)

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We are all garbage, embrace your place on the heap.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sometimes a natural stick gives me finger blisters :/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squalid posted:

Sometimes a natural stick gives me finger blisters :/

That's what gloves are for.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I have an aluminum telescoping pole my dad got me when I was 12. It's lasted over a decade and is way lighter than any stick I've found on the ground.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
i have some carbon fiber folding tentpole style trekking poles. i got them for 20 dollars at an rei garage sale they're pretty sweet.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hey there's a pretty good thread for posting about gear purchases. You should check it out!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3521471

Epitope fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 26, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
"What is a knife?"

-A retarded guy about to buy some Nordic Walking STicks for 60 dollars

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Counterpoint. It's awesome BTW.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The perfect tool for mugging dopey hikers.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What if there's no trees

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Hurrr, I need a fancy walking stick from REI! No way I could ever just use a stick I found on the ground! Shut up and take my money! :v:

What a bunch of fucktards. If you use a store bought walking stick then your literally trash.

Agreed, and people who sell walking sticks in stores are G E N I U S if you ask me.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
get hosed op

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I love finding the perfect walking stick along a trail. Last time I hiked around yellowstone, I found a fantastic one with a naturally built-in groove for my hand. I widdled that fucker for 2 weeks around the fire. Finest piece of art I've ever created IMO

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Leave no trace. Don't take sticks :mad:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

This is my stick, and I've had it for about five years!

I used to work at an outdoor bbq pit and someone just left it in the ash pit. I started using it to turn the burning logs and act like a wizard. They closed the bbq but I kept the stick, and I still take it on short hikes around my home.

Once a girlfriend of mine needed help "rescuing" an intoxicated friend from a park after dark. The park in question was a little dangerous after so I agreed to go with her, but not without my trusty stick. We searched the park and couldn't find her friend, but on the way out cops showed up. Not wanting to get tazed, I dropped the stick before we walked up to them. After admonishing us for being in the park after hours, they let us go and I asked if I could go back for my stick. The cops gave me the okay so I went back and got it.

As we walked back out onto the streets one of the cops yelled after us : "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
When I was a kid I lived at a Rangers station during the summers and my sister and I would go out into the woods and find sweet rear end staffs and pretend we were explorers or staff fighters or some thing. We also built forts with long staffs of wood and carpted them with moss which was probably bad for, you know, moss, but whatever.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

buddhanc posted:

I love finding the perfect walking stick along a trail. Last time I hiked around yellowstone, I found a fantastic one with a naturally built-in groove for my hand. I widdled that fucker for 2 weeks around the fire. Finest piece of art I've ever created IMO

Christ this is the second time I've seen goons misspell "whittled" this way.

"Widdled" is what your aunt says when her dog takes a piss.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Christ this is the second time I've seen goons misspell "whittled" this way.

"Widdled" is what your aunt says when her dog takes a piss.

Okay. I "whittled" it then. Still a fine rear end stick

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Since this is the hiking sub-forum and the thread about walking sticks, I thought we were gonna talk about how to make them. I just helped clear some trees out back of my family's home, and cut some nice straight pieces that I thought would be perfect for walking sticks. I know nothing about whittling or carving but I plan on at least taking off the bark and sanding/staining/varnishing the suckers. Any special knowledge beyond what I can find with a google search/wiki how? I think they're a bit thicker than what is usually recommended (they're all around 2-3 inches in diameter) but I figured this was all the better for hitting things with which is really a very likely occurrence as I like whiskey. I also have a few old pieces of interesting stones or prisms that would be cool to affix to the top (so I can be Gandalf obviously), what have you found is the best way to be that particular type of dork?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BRJohnson posted:

what have you found is the best way to be that particular type of dork?

Whittle the ball in a cage at the top too. Then carve the middle into a snake twisting around it. Then carve a butt at the bottom, haha

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If you treat it, try a tung oil/white spirits blend. Weather resistant and ages nicely. A bit of beeswax is really nice over top. If you want to mount something in the top, an easy way would be to place a threaded insert into the top, and mount whatever you want via that.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Levitate posted:

When I was a kid I lived at a Rangers station during the summers and my sister and I would go out into the woods and find sweet rear end staffs and pretend we were explorers or staff fighters or some thing. We also built forts with long staffs of wood and carpted them with moss which was probably bad for, you know, moss, but whatever.

That's awesome i used to do that when i was a kid too :yarr::respek::yarr:

we didn't use moss though, but we did dig trench systems and build earth embankments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Larry Parrish posted:

That's what gloves are for.

lol what are you? a baby with baby hands?

• Locked thread