Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
nothing is better than making a campfire in the fall in the mountains and sitting around it with good beer and good friends and good pastrami sandwiches

nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

inSTAALed posted:

nothing is better than making a campfire in the fall in the mountains and sitting around it with good beer and good friends and good pastrami sandwiches

nothing

what about the inevitable ticket for breaking the fire ban

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

That's why this guy is a retard, and you should go in winter or late spring when it's not too cold to camp but the fire danger is low. Also you need a like $20 permit for fires on Forest Service land!!!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

yeah maybe if you live in a chump state with no rainfall

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Just dont' set the forest on fire and it's cool. If you set the forest on fire you really suck

also

Larry Parrish posted:

That's why this guy is a retard, and you should go in winter or late spring when it's not too cold to camp but the fire danger is low. Also you need a like $20 permit for fires on Forest Service land!!!

seems to depend on the forest, I got one for the tahoe forest backcountry by just completing an online "training".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Levitate posted:

Just dont' set the forest on fire and it's cool. If you set the forest on fire you really suck

also

seems to depend on the forest, I got one for the tahoe forest backcountry by just completing an online "training".

El Dorado is where all the rednecks are so I think the rules are more strict than Tahoe.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The campfire situation in the mountains here has interesting rules.

Car camping in a provincial park: supply your own firewood
Car camping in a national park: unlimited firewood onsite for $8.50 a night

Backcountry camping in a provincial park: included with $23 overnight fee, firewood is flown in by helicopter
Backcountry camping in a national park: depends on how remote/popular the area. Total ban in easy to get to places, communal firepit in remote sites to burn deadfall only

Some provincial recreational areas allow random camping, you just have to be at least a kilometer away from any infrastructure and you can tent and set up a fire anywhere you want. Deadfall only.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I would suggest roasting large pieces of meat over said fire op.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Campfires are great, sometime's it's nice to switch it up and make a mud oven, nothing better than some freshly caught and roasted fish or rabbit!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

it's rare that i do non-backpacking camping, but when i do (or if it's a r eally short overnight) i love to bring cans of veg chili and crack them open and cook the cans directly on the fire, and then mix them with velveeta shells and cheese in a pot... one of my fav camping meals

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

that post was more about camping food than about campfires i'm sorry :(

um
uh
it's cool when a medium piece of wood is shooting out a jet of flame for a little bit from its edge
it's also cool to watch boiling sap ooze out of the edge of a log
fires are just real fun to watch in general
what are some of your fav fire events to stare at

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

alnilam posted:

yeah maybe if you live in a chump state with no rainfall

Yea like notoriously arid Washington state where you can't have fires over 5k feet in the cascades good times

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

that post was more about camping food than about campfires i'm sorry :(

um
uh
it's cool when a medium piece of wood is shooting out a jet of flame for a little bit from its edge
it's also cool to watch boiling sap ooze out of the edge of a log
fires are just real fun to watch in general
what are some of your fav fire events to stare at

Pull out a stick and look at the glowing orange end. Woah

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Epitope posted:

nice

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

grimey drawer :hf:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Epitope posted:

this guy gets it

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Birch is pro-tier.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I spit upon spruce.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
whack the fire with your glowing stick and you get flying sparks going up with the smoke!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

shooting the rocks or metal around a firepit with a water gun for the steam

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Free Market Mambo posted:

Birch is pro-tier.

if you burn carving wood you need to reconsider things, just burn some lovely conifers or old maple or oak limbs you find on the ground

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Why not use it for both? Birch smells nice, and doesn't spark, plus there's oodles where I'm at. I can Carve my cup and heat it too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

laugh at idiots who wait patiently for their marshmellows to roast

light your marshmellow on fire, blow it out, make smores

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
humans have been staring at fire and talking to each other in the darkness for 300,000 years.

it's only within the last century or so that we have stopped.

when you get outdoors and make a campfire with your buds you tap into something real deep.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The industrial revolution literally ruined everything good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Campfires are awesome and people who rely on stoves outside of bad weather and fire danger areas are garbage people.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
oh wait thats not how you build a fire *reaches into the fire with bare hands like a badass, moves a piece of wood slightly to the right, everything collapses into a lovely pile*

its me the survival expert

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

suspicious donkey! posted:

oh wait thats not how you build a fire *reaches into the fire with bare hands like a badass, moves a piece of wood slightly to the right, everything collapses into a lovely pile*

its me the survival expert

Step aside city boys, let me show you how it's done

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 28, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There are somewhere around 3 trillion trees on earth. Imagine big of a fire you could build with that?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you dont go old school and just scar the earth with deep blackout forest fires every time you step out your door, you might as well go back to playing dark souls and jacking off to pictures of derek smart, you pox-ridden heap of genetic fail aids

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Throw a bunch of old pinecones into your campfire and enjoy nature's fireworks as they snap and pop loudly, sending a ton of sparks up.

This but with squirrels

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
light the forest on fire to scare away bears

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you dont go old school and just scar the earth with deep blackout forest fires every time you step out your door, you might as well go back to playing dark souls and jacking off to pictures of derek smart, you pox-ridden heap of genetic fail aids

Where in god's name are the IKs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hiking as it turns out

the mods didn't think this through very well

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

go old school and just scar the earth with deep blackout forest fires every time you step out your door

I did an aircrew land survival course once. After a week and change of hands on instruction we got released into the woods to survive for like 72 hours with a few hundred calories worth of sugar, some standard issue survival gear, and a list of tasks to complete (shelter, signals, snares, stay alive etc). Every one of us butchered the poo poo out of scores of trees and maimed hundreds more at a minimum. The pristine plot of winter forest we arrived to was left a smoke blackened wreck of stumps, charcoal and upturned earth.

I always felt a little bit guilty but it was fun as hell and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Turkman
Oct 25, 2015

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Throw a bunch of old pinecones into your campfire and enjoy nature's fireworks as they snap and pop loudly, sending a ton of sparks up.

Don't riverstones do the same thing? But like, it's dangerous?

Also whenever my friends and I have campfires we'd do what people used to do, and share ghost stories, stories from old camp, stories that are clearly bullshit but we still enjoy them, and most importantly we'd sing.
gently caress I've made up some pretty great campfire songs that are just rad.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

i always bring a harmonica

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Staring at flames was the original must-see TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

HarryPurvis posted:

Staring at flames was the original must-see TV.

I read an article one time where some scientists looked a brain activity. Apparently the same part of the brain that lights up when we're watching TV lights up when we're watching a fire. I can't find the article now though and it's driving me nuts. Cool to think about though.

• Locked thread