Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Brewmaster posted:

I read an article one time where some scientists looked a brain activity. Apparently the same part of the brain that lights up when we're watching TV lights up when we're watching a fire. I can't find the article now though and it's driving me nuts. Cool to think about though.

Would rather watch a fire than tv. Anybody tried starting a fire in their living room? If so, how'd it turn out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Would rather watch a fire than tv. Anybody tried starting a fire in their living room? If so, how'd it turn out?

It is great. In my fire place, in my living room. The smoke goes right up the chimney. Unless you have the flue closed, then smoke everywhere.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

spwrozek posted:

It is great. In my fire place, in my living room. The smoke goes right up the chimney. Unless you have the flue closed, then smoke everywhere.

Sorry, but I run ultralight. Fire places are for weekend warrior, car camping assholes.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Hey, I like car camping! As long as the campground has free wifi.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When my power was cut we used a campstove to make dinner. Doesn't really count as a fire in the house but being outdoorsy makes you industrious.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Picnic Princess posted:

When my power was cut we used a campstove to make dinner. Doesn't really count as a fire in the house but being outdoorsy makes you industrious.

I fuckin' love the smell of stove gas and some burning pine needles stuck on the bottom of a pot...

campfires are cool in a campground but I'm too lazy to make them while backpacking

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Campfires are the shizz cuz you can do this with em:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GgZXbbrLY

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Woah, the hating rabbits thing spans the ocean.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm disappointed they didn't grind the peppercorn with rocks, that would have been cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snorch posted:

Campfires are the shizz cuz you can do this with em:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GgZXbbrLY

Just lol if you hike somewhere so well groomed it has freaking bridges over the tiny creek. Might as well hike around the kid's park

Turkman
Oct 25, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

Just lol if you hike somewhere so well groomed it has freaking bridges over the tiny creek. Might as well hike around the kid's park

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i like campfires and build them all the time when outdoors. i also have a woodstove in my house so i go out and cut wood every fall to stock up for the winter. wood heat is nice.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

suspicious donkey! posted:

oh wait thats not how you build a fire *reaches into the fire with bare hands like a badass, moves a piece of wood slightly to the right, everything collapses into a lovely pile*

its me the survival expert

"you're smothering it!"

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.
Fire is great. When I was a kid my scout master used to start his campfires with about half a gallon of gasoline. Nothing better than that black , acrid smoke on a hot summer day to say "I never actually read the book."

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Here's a campfire cooking lovely soup in the Lake District, England. Criminally, wild camping isn't really allowed so the fire is small. It was a lovely fire though and lovely soup too. A++

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Captain Mediocre posted:

Here's a campfire cooking lovely soup in the Lake District, England. Criminally, wild camping isn't really allowed so the fire is small. It was a lovely fire though and lovely soup too. A++

I bought a little folding firebowl for just this reason.

Wild camping in England is a pain in the arse, although I've done it a few times.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Doritos are really good firestarters

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Heck yeah they are!

Actually I'm really glad I had some with me because it was such a frosty morning that my swag was practically solid and everything else around was too damp to be useful.

Lt.Winky
Dec 27, 2006

And that's how I would sound with crabs in my mouth.
Campfire protip - just stick a fuckin potato in there for a while, pull it out with a stick, eat it. No tin foil etc. needed just bury it in there where the fire is burning low/mostly coals and brush it off while it cools.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
campfire protip: burn down the national forest. when you get home, burn down your home. when you get to jail, light your mattress on fire. when you get to solitary confinement, break the only lightbulb in the room and draw an arc across the leads to light your shirt on fire.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

campfire protip: burn down the national forest. when you get home, burn down your home. when you get to jail, light your mattress on fire. when you get to solitary confinement, break the only lightbulb in the room and draw an arc across the leads to light your shirt on fire.

:waycool:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
im going to start using a hazel branch with a hook in it at the perfect angle to cook over like ray mears but even more cooler

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Raymond Paul Mears is an English woodsman, instructor, businessman, author and TV presenter. His TV appearances cover bushcraft and survival techniques.

What the hell is this "bushcraft" nonsense? It's called BOY SCOUTS you limey chode.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
What's your preferred method of fire construction: tepee, lean-to, log cabin, or drizzle kerosine on a pile of debris?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Log cabin 4 lyfe

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

IronDoge posted:

Log cabin 4 lyfe

Truth

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IronDoge posted:

Log cabin 4 lyfe

Teepee you dense chode. It's the most simple, which is good for alcohol fueled brains.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Egorger Le Chef posted:

What's your preferred method of fire construction: tepee, lean-to, log cabin, or drizzle kerosine on a pile of debris?

punch holes in the drywall along a load-bearing wall, spread accellerant inside the holes. have a secure exit and a robust alibi

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

punch holes in the drywall along a load-bearing wall, spread accellerant inside the holes. have a secure exit and a robust alibi

:iamafag:

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

nice megathread

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

best fire is dakota fire pit, i recon

clammy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 10, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
on my last backpacking trip we made a fire one night and my hiking partner got stung by ground bees while collecting wood

it was hilarious

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
If you take a copper pipe(drill some holes), stick some cut up vinyl tubing in it and throw it in the fire, you will have a fire full of magical colors. And it'll help you gently caress this gay Earth.

Attach a chain if you want to keep the pipe.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Tinder fungus and birch bark, bitches.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's a cheap move, but getting your teepee/log cabin/pile of sticks just right, getting the tinder and kindling below it just right and then pouring a tiny bit of motor oil on top really helps when you've got better things to do.

Don't judge me, either you've all done it or didn't think to do it.

Also carrying a fistful of dryer lint works wonders.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Here in PA I can usually manage to scrounge up birch bark somewhere. Haven't really needed to carry anything extra yet. I do have a tiny notepad I could tear pages out of if I really can't find anything else, but nothing beats a couple strips of birch.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I have a few cardboard boxes of fatwood chunks, always keep some stashed in my pack.

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Free Market Mambo posted:

I have a few cardboard boxes of fatwood chunks, always keep some stashed in my pack.

Ciaphas posted:

two, the third was my boss's phantom

that tale will haunt me a while but it's pretty loving funny in retrospect

yakman applewhite y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn69LJ0239E&t=2193s

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm going to need some sort of tl:dr because that just seems like randomized empty quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

These GBS refugees keep getting probated elsewhere before I can do it here. At least stagger your poo poo posts so we all get a chance.

• Locked thread