Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yesssssssss! I didn't know anyone else liked SX. I'm pretty sure SX/MX are my favorite sport now. So pumped for this season.

I'll join the group when at a PC, I didn't pick the dunge in my top 5 this week, though I may have to reconsider.

Possible mud race, start will be key. Whoever stays clean for the first 2 laps will probably win. Maybe Anderson with some of that staring prowess he showed at MEC?

E: pussied out and put Dungey in 2nd
Anderson
Dungey
Roczen
Canard
Pourcell
9th: will hahn

E2: joined the group. Hope I didn't make a Shaheen bobble

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Haha my #1 this week lookin real good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI9CQYifBPs

drat, I was planning on a mudder.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just finished the race. Good start to the season.

Freaking Peick, jesus christ. The incident in the heat race was pretty innocuous. No real contact, Friese just took his line away.

Seems like Emig and Ricky had harsher things to say about Friese's move in the heat race, and yet nothing on Canard's move on Dungey, which was just as much contact. I'm not on the inside so maybe Friese just has a real bad rep or something.

Really impressive ride by the Dunge and Anderson. Canard's breaking my heart already :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

I think Dungey is going to run the show every time he gets a holeshot or close to it.

I think so too. Someone may be faster at a track but they'll make mistakes throughout the seasons and Dungey won't.

Anderson started off great last year with a 2nd but then had some really anonymous rides. However, he was on the "old" KTM whereas now he's on the "new" KTM, which was supposed to be miles better. This is also his first season with Aldon Baker, so it could all be coming together for all we know.

I had to cringe when Anderson reeled in Seely, it's just like the '14 250 class. Seely would be out front and Anderson would snatch the lead from him on the last lap. I dunno how happy his team is with a third when you have a clear track ahead of you and a 6+ second in the middle of a race.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Baggett is out injured isn't he?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My picks until I talk myself out of them.

Dungey
Roczen
Canard
Tomac
Anderson
Wildcard: Dean Wilson

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Quality round 2, I'd say. I've gotta say, everyone is always taking Dungey for granted, myself included. Guy is the defending, dominant champ and we're still tripping over each other to jack off about how fast Tomac and Roczen and Canard and Anderson are. And still my inclination is to say "well if only <rider> got a start", but man. Dungey is there just doing it every freaking time. What a pro.

I was never much of a Reed fan, but you gotta give it up to him. Two races in a row with real good performances, I was really impressed.

Canard is breaking my heart. I really want to see him do well but man you can't do poo poo if you don't get a good gate pick and a good start :( He needs some confidence or something.

Roczen? I can't see him staying at soaring eagle next year. Maybe he takes Deano's seat or Will Hahn's seat or even Canard's seat if he leaves Honda. He should be healthy and fast, right? Is the Suzuki just that bad?

Anderson is riding really well, I'll be surprised if he doesn't get into some problems with other racers this year. He's riding aggressive and someone is going to pay him back.

250W class looks like a joke TBH, Cooper is so much faster than everyone else he may just win every race. He hinted that he may even be riding a 450 on the east coast later on.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My "get 'em in early in case I forget" picks

1 - Dungey
2 - Anderson
3 - Roczen
4 - Seely
5 - Tomac

Wilcard 8th: Millsaps

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea that was a cool battle, one of the best I've seen in either class.

:negative: My Canard dreams are smashed. His luck is somehow even worse than his starts :negative:

I wish I would have reconsidered adding Reed back into my top 5. Nice to see Roczen back on the podium, too. Dungey is quiet beast as always.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

Pulpmx show is good. You can learn important things like Pourcelle has an Italian greyhound "therapy dog."

Yea Matthes puts out a lot of content, and I've been listening to all of it lately. He has a SX fantasy podcast too recorded on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

builds character posted:

In a totally crazy and unexpected move, I have Dungey winning again this week with Roczen taking second.

1. Dungey
2. Roczen
3. Anderson
4. Reed
5. Tomac
Wild/7. Canard

This is oddly close to what I had been mentally planning, gonna have to change mine up a bit.

E:

1. Dungey
2. Roczen
3. Reed
4. Anderson
5. Tomac
Wild/7. Millsaps

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 29, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

VTNewb posted:

Also, why did Stewart pull off?
Blurred vision apparently. I'll assume it's due to the after effects of his concussion, but he did heave his goggles away in disgust as well (probably coincidental). Sucks, it was nice to seem him out on the track though it was pretty obvious he was a bit off the pace.

Dungey is officially in a league of his own. Roczen had a clear track to reel him in and dungey kept pulling a gap. Also cool to see Musquin up on the podium, he seems like a cool dude.

All around excellent race.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tarzanspuma posted:

They interviewed him (I think before the race even ended?) and he said the gas tank vapor locked.

It's quite the mystery. On the pulpmx show they said that vapor lock was incredibly unlikely since it's an FI bike and it was a cool 50 degree evening. I didn't see it on the broadcast, but apparently Cooper pushed himself off the track behind some banners to more discreetly work on the bike, implying that he thought he knew what the problem was. Since the bike fired back up and he one kicked it after his interview it wasn't something catastrophic like a cracked piston or something. Really weird.

Matthes and company said Yamaha must genuinely think it's an electrical problem, that's all that makes sense at this point.

Wow, didn't see that. Nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_WnBHAlAGg
Long rear end starting straight for Glendale!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

God drat those track maps are awful. I miss the jumping arrow.

Yes.

Got my picks in, if I have time I might try to peep on practice to see what everyone is doing. Tomac won last year on the "same dirt", so he may do well this weekend. Can't pick against Dungey for 1st yet, though.

1. Ryan Dungey
2. Ken Roczen
3. Jason Anderson
4. Chad Reed
5. Eli Tomac
10. Justin Brayton

Picking Reed and Anderson pretty high because of the long start straight, Yami's seem to do real well on starts and Anderson holeshotted all the monster energy cup races with the long start.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Proving that I'm not a real competitor, here is some information that only hurts me: Canard is not racing this weekend.

Neither is JS7, Bagget(I think), Tickle, or Dean Wilson if anyone picked those guys.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't think anyone did real great this week. The RMfantasy site kinda sucks for looking up "How did I do in my group this week". I picked 4/5 top 5 guys but didn't have any in the right order.

Nice to see Kenny get a win, I liked the bigger track, it was cool that it was went outside. The whoops looked pretty nasty again, which makes things real interesting.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Picks for SD2:

1. Ryan Dungey
2. Ken Roczen
3. Chad Reed
4. Eli Tomac
5. Cole Seely
W14: Mike Alessi

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

VTNewb posted:

Seely over Anderson huh? Living dangerously.

I'll update our standings today (I think Glendale was my best performance!) and put in my pix.

Yea I think I based my picks mostly on the first SD race. Apparently this is a pretty tight track, not sure who that favors.

My man Canard should be back racing this weekend, I think! :swoon: Also Bagget and Short. 3rd gear starts return!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wow, what a race. Nice job Ken, you earned that.

I somehow pulled all the right names in the right order except for the top 2 places. I had 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 11th correct though. Can't say that's going to happen very often, but I'll take it!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Atlanta looks like really long start and rhythm sections, doesn't look as tight and technical as the last couple of tracks. I'm not sure who that benefits. Dungey is obviously really great in rhythm sections, maybe Anderson as well? I dunno.

DV doing some rumor spreading on facebook for next season. Would be kinda bummed to see Trey leave Honda, but at least it would be at another factory team.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

Still going Dungey 1, Roczen 2 this time though. It'll be interesting to see if Roczen can maintain his current level. I'm pretty sure Dungey can but less so about Roczen - he was just great last race.

Yea if Roczen didn't get the holeshot last week it probably would have been another Dungey win. Not to take away anything from Roczen, it was an amazing ride, but Dungey was again/as always ON IT.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll screw it all up soon enough

1. Dungey
2. Roczen
3. Anderson
4. Seely
5. Canard
13. Will Hahn

Also: Stewart supposed to be back this weekend! Can't imagine a top 5 even if he finishes a race.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

VTNewb posted:

The 250W races have been consistently awesome - let's hope east can stand up. I'll be updating our standings tonight.

Theoretically they should be even better, there doesn't seem to be a real clear guy in the east.

Jeremy Martin may be the tentative favorite, but he's definitely an outdoor guy racing in an indoor series. I hope he can turn it around and start doing well in supercross.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

VTNewb posted:

Was that Weimer stuck under the bike with his feet out like Wil E Coyote?

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/2016-atlanta-sx-shortnicolettihahn-update/#HWhQqL1w3Aj5p2lA.97

Looks like Andrew Short. Was hard to tell, man that sucks. Wilbur broke his collarbone, dude cannot catch a break.

Man that was a fantasy killer weekend, if Marvin didn't throw it away I would have had 5 points this week, hah.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
1. Dungey
2. Roczen
3. Musquin
4. Tomac
5. Reed
7th - Canard

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

We killed Will Hahn. :(

You think Musquin is going to be consistently fast now?

1. Dungey
2. Roczen
3. Tomac
4. Seely
5. Reed
7. Millsaps

I'm curious to see when Dungey starts pulling off the throttle a little bit, if ever, just because he's so far ahead in points.

Both valid points.

Musquin: Has the speed, and a rutty mess of an outdoorsy type track really suits him. Training at the baker's factory in the FL dirt might be an advantage. I do think he's going to be finishing up there pretty good if his starts are decent.

Dungey: I'm curious about the exact same thing. This week I think he'll still be up there because there is a lot of racing left. He never makes mistakes and his fitness is amazing, both of which you need on a longer, messy track. Even if his start is mediocre (which aside from A1 they haven't been), the longer race time should let him catch back up to a podium at least.

I may end up changing my #7, but Canard is probably a safe bet there. Canard, Anderson, Seely (since those two have beef now), Millsaps, Brayton, Peick, Reed, poo poo even Bagget might be there considering it's Daytona.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Was nice to see two new winners this weekend, but overall I felt the track was pretty bleh. The 250 class was exciting only because the top 4 were so close together but the track was so one-lined there was practically zero passing. Real pleased to see Jeremy Martin win, he seems like such a nice guy and hopefully he can keep improving indoors.

I wasn't paying that close of attention to the 450 race, I was trying to (and failing) to replace a battery on my watch so I didn't see a lot of it but I think it was less interesting. Nice job Tomac, though. If he stays healthy it will be interesting to see if he's that beastly outdoors like he was at the beginning of last year.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here are my picks right now, may be going out on a limb not including Anderson in the top 5 and putting Musquin in 2nd, but whatever. Also considering swapping Roczen and Tomac.

1. Dungey
2. Musquin
3. Roczen
4. Tomac
5. Seeley
9. Weimer

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EX250 Type R posted:

I went

Dungey
Roczen
Reed
Tomac
Canard
Millsaps

Inshallah.

I think Millsaps is out.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If anyone is looking to put Pourcell in 9th, don't because he's also out for the weekend. Davalos isn't racing either due to Visa issues, which kinda sucks for the east championship.

http://racerxonline.com/2016/03/10/...+Racer+X+Online

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

gonna kill will hahn again by picking him for 9th. RIP will hahn.

I don't even know what I'm doing at this point.

Dungey
Tomac - stupid tomac sucking when I picked him and then finally getting good again and now that I'm going to pick him he's going to suck again.
Musquin - I believe. As I type this out I really think I should be putting Roczen up here.
Roczen - ugh.
Anderson - I don't know what to do with Anderson and Seely.
Hahn - sorry to make you get injured again.

Hahn is genuinely out out, probably for the remainder of the season. Josh Grant (coming out of literally no where last week for 7th) is rumored to be filling his seat for the rest of the season starting at Detroit (next week).

I think your picks look pretty good otherwise, though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Big, long start again for Detroit. I think that's going to make me favor the consistently good starters like Dungey for the win. The wildcard is going to be tough to pick this week (15th).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfLL_3cbiZA

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Really close to my picks from last week. I'm real tempted to swap Musquin and Dungey.

1. Dungey
2. Musquin
3. Roczen
4. Seeley
5. Tomac
15. Alessi

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

Dungey
Musquin
Tomac
Roczen
Anderson
Millsaps

Dammit, this is what I did last week too, just switching Musquin and Tomac. Musquin really does seem legit top 5 right now though.

Pretty sure Millsaps is still out.

Musquin is looking real good right now, his last three weeks he's been on the podium (2, 3, 2).

Chasing the dream part 2 was on Sunday night, anyone else watch it? Roczen is a slab of beef.

https://twitter.com/cbm_racing has a dailymotion link to it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

damnit. time to jinx tommy hahn.

Thanks for the link to chasing the dream part 2. Gonna watch between basketball games. I just wish Roczen was more stereotypically German. Then he'd be a fantastic villain. Maybe it's just proof positive that dirt bikes are like the rocky IV speech of real life.

I'm getting really good at telling people their picks are out. I do it out of love, not arrogance. Looks like Tommy Hahn is out, I guess he sprained his foot in Toronto, I just read it this morning. Here's the injury report:

http://racerxonline.com/2016/03/18/injury-report-detroit

If you ever miss a race, cbm_racing and slicknick610 are the dudes on twitter to follow for :files: cbm_racing actually has been doing live streams of the race on dailymotion.

builds character posted:

edit: what the hell happened to Musquin? How did he suddenly become this good?

At the beginning of the season he was still recovering from a wrist injury, I guess. With the exception of Rd1, he's been in the top 10 every week. I don't know much about him, but I THINK he was stuck in the 250 class longer than he should have been due to injuries. He's won international championships, so he's definitely good. I think he's about the same age as Dungey, too so he's not some young immature dude trying to figure it all out. Also he's on arguably the best bike/team and he has the best trainer.

Before the season begun I had (conveniently) thought he might be a big challenge to Dungey. So far he hasn't been, but he's definitely been getting closer.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

VTNewb posted:

How have I not seen any flat tires in all my time watching supercross, but we have four across the past two rounds?

Yea the only one I ever remember seeing was a season or two ago in the outdoor nationals, I'm pretty sure Roczen was washing the front out and I was like "Oh crap, does he suck now?" but it turns out his front tire was flat and he finished the moto, haha... No clue what's going on with SX.

Pretty decent racing this weekend, I liked the track. If you watched the race but didn't check out any media afterwards, Dungey was docked two places for jumping while the red cross flags were out so the top three were Anderson, Musquin, Dungey.

A proud moment for me: I've been doing some data analysis on the results from this season. As of last week, Ryan Dungey's average position after lap 1 is 3.0. The next best average lap 1 position is Eli Tomac with a 6.1. I tweeted this out and it was mentioned on the pulpmx live race stream (Steve butchered it, but Travis got it right) :black101: I'm pretty sure I'm famous now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just so everyone knows we have an off week. Next weekend we'll be at Santa Clara for another round of the west coast.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Racing in Santa Clara this weekend! I was lost over the weekend with no supercross or F1 to watch while I ignore my kids.

10th is the wildcard this weekend, could be a tough pick. I believe Barcia is coming back this week so if his health is good I could see him in the top 10. Currently eyeing Bogle for 10th.

Track map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92XVyOsN0j0

There is a long set of whoops before the final 180 before the finish. I might sneak Chad Reed into my top 5 because he's typically very good in the whoops and it looks like a great passing opportunity. The rest of the track looks pretty one-rhythm so I'm not sure how that will lend to passing.

I think I'll still pick Dungey overall because he's got to be a ragemonster after the AMA took his win away.

1. Dungey
2. Roczen
3. Musquin
4. Anderson
5. Reed
10. Bogle

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Seeley is out for this weekend, Pourcell still out too. Stewart and Barcia back, though.

Feel free to keep picking Wil Hahn though. Positive thought may heal him.

http://racerxonline.com/2016/04/01/cole-seely-out-for-santa-clara

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Fairly boring race, though I am pleased to see Canard in the top 5 finally. He was a decent start away from the podium.

My hope for big whoops was not realized, though it was kinda fun watching them fly through them at 50mph. Reed still did good despite the small whoops, so good for him. Not sure what happened to Musquin, I don't think he had any TV time at all.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
1. Dungey
2. Roczen
3. Anderson
4. Musquin
5. Canard
12. Weimer

I may have to check up on practice results and adjust before the race, I guess Musquin had a big crash in practice last week and was way off. So maybe I should pay more attention to practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

edit2: seems like someone other than dungey should win this week but he's just better than they are so I can't bring myself to do it.

It feels to me like Dungey's win being taken from him was a great mid-season wake-up call for him. Perfectly working to piss him off enough to want to destroy everyone instead of coast the rest of the season.

Roczen was right there with Dungey last week for the first few laps. The track was pretty easy, so there was no where to really make up time on anyone. I thought it was really telling that Roczen really didn't have anything for Dungey after the first few laps, there was no real excuse if they're equal on pace. I'm not saying Roczen sucks, but Dungey is head and shoulders above everyone right now.

That stat that I had a few weeks ago with the average 1st lap position. Dungey is now at an average of being in 2.75th place, the next best guy is Roczen with just over 7th. That's how you win championships. It's nuts.

builds character posted:

edit: holy poo poo
Nickname Points Group Rank Overall Rank
dreesemonkey 575 #1 #47

Yea, I'm thrilled to be up there! Beginners luck for sure, this is my first year playing fantasy SX. I'm like two crazy-good weeks away from being up there in the prizes, but no sense in overthinking it. It's all luck. I'll probably finish just good enough to be out of the prizes. I'll take a top 50 for sure.

• Locked thread