Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

2015 was a very strong year. Possibly the strongest one I've seen so far. I'm not going to list these in particular order but...!

1. Overlord Glorious. Can't wait for Season 2.

2. One Punch Man Perfect. Adaptation. I demand filler.

3. Prison School Almost perfect adaptation, slightly rushed, highly anticipating Season 2

4. Tokyo Ghoul Re: (Manga) As of last week has become the greatest seinen-action manga I have read since Berserk. It's that good.

5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica What? I finally saw it this year. Rebellion will be viewed tomorrow.

DRRR would be on here if it's animation quality wasn't squandered, Death Parade would come in 6th place, Fate/Stay-Night was average story-wise (Fate-Zero I'm coming for you!), I did see Gatchaman S1 and loved it, and I still need to watch Owarimonogatari and JJBA: Egypt.

And yes I completely glossed over all those slice of life comedies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

paging darktitzanime to give us the top 5 titty animes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

1. Snow White with the Red Hair - Shoujo and disney combined?? Shirayuki is probably one of my top shoujo protagonists ever, and zen-- well he's not terrible, and that probably vaults him to the top of the shoujo boyfriend board. It's also nice to have a princess story where the woman has some agency?? Shirayuki is the conservative ideal of picking herself up by her own bootstraps and not asking for handouts-- she might be on the ticket with Trump this year, has anyone checked. Zen's brother is a prick. if you like shoujo why the gently caress aint you watched this, you fucker
2. Death Parade - Is it weird to call this a procedural? It very much has that feeling of unraveling a whodunit, despite the very weird parlor game/afterlife trappings. It's formulaic as gently caress but it's a really good formula.
3. Yona of the Dawn - Kinda reminds me of Rumiko Takahashi but like, not a knockoff of any kind. It's completely organic. And the way Yona develops over the course of the series is perfectly anticipated over the 24 episode run, leading up to the big KILL SHOT moment of the last story arc. Uhh the only problem is they wrote it as if they were going to have 50 episodes and then when they realized they weren't they were like OH gently caress UHHH WELL HERE'S THE LAST GUY TO SHOW UP AND THEY UH THEY SAVE THE DAY THE END
4. One Punch Man - it's cool
5. Rokka - Okay the ending is loving terrible but the majority of the series is a really cool locked room mystery. unfortunately after further review, the Anime head of officiating says you have to complete the really coolness all the way to the end for it to count. so this one's on the bottom of the top. good hustle

honorable mention
Truthism/Actually I Am - so, it's not as good as the manga it would seem, but it's fairly enjoyable as a silly supernatural high school comedy

shows I haven't watched enough of yet
Shirobako, My Love Story, Maria the Virgin Witch, Parasyte

one episode was too much
Show by Rock - this was bad even before it turned into CG hello kitty whatever the gently caress
Beautiful Bones - a mystery show that's not about mysteries. well, see ya
Perfect Insider - the characters were really uninteresting

favorite ongoing series
The Young Kindaichi Files Returns - Detective Conan except good instead of lovely and with Ace Attorney-quality murder tricks

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 21, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Honorable mention: Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

I expected to put this in the top five, but I realized it annoys me too much for that. Watching this anime made me realize that the VN wasn't as good as I thought it was in the first place. At least some of the fights are still cool.

Honorable mention: Charlotte

Had some interesting characters and plotlines (including some genuinely emotionally intense episodes in the middle), but somehow feels like less than the sum of its parts. Perhaps it's because of the awkward dialogue, which can't entirely be attributed to bad translation (although the overly-literal translation was definitely part of the problem).

#5: Rokka no Yuusha: Extended mystery plots of this sort are rare in anime. I partly called the solution fairly early on, but that's better than an unpredictable asspull solution would have been. Also has some cool fights. There's certain elements of the ending (not the solution to the mystery itself) that bring it down a bit, but I wasn't as annoyed by them as some other people were.

#4: One Punch Man: Has genuine pathos as well as well-animated fights. I didn't find it quite as funny as I'd hoped to, though.

#3: Parasyte: Intense and wonderfully disturbing. Migi was a very memorable character. The line between thoughtful philosophizing and pretentious bullshit can be thin, and there were parts of the show on both sides of the divide. Gets marked down a bit for the love interest character's weirdly circular character arc.

#2: Snow White with the Red Hair: I wasn't expecting this to place so high. It has a likable main character, the central relationship works really well, and it maintains interesting conflicts instead of running out of steam the way The World is Still Beautiful did.

#1: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: Battle in Egypt: The only show on this list I've actually re-watched. All the fights aside from Alessi and Mariah are great. It actually improves on the manga in places, including adding foreshadowing for a major twist near the end.

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013
1. Sound! Euphonium – Easily one of the best shows Kyoani every made.

2. Non Non Biyori Repeat - A pretty and relaxing show.

3. Working!!! – It resolved the romances in funny and cute ways.

4. One Punch Man – Good and funny.

5. Snow White with the Red Hair – A show with a good mix of action and romance with good characters.

Honorable mentions:

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusader’s Egypt Arc – Too drawn out but still a good series.

Wakako-Zake – Consistently good short format show, not good enough to displace any top 5.

Yuru Yuri S3 - Another good show with one really standout episode but also not good enough to displace any top 5.

clamp down and keep going fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 22, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

5. Hibike Euphonium

4. Shokugeki no Soma

3. Etotama

2. Gatchaman Crowds Insight

1. Shirobako

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

It was pretty hard to limit it to just 5! Heres my list:

5. Tesagure s3

Props for being a show that does something different, even if its just being a talk show instead! Its probably the only cg show i'll ever like.

4. Yona of the Dawn

Hak is my husbandu. This beats out shirayuki for me cause yona also gets to murderize at the end.

3. SNAFU s2

I watched both seasons together, and wow, most improved season 2 i can think of. Intelligent enough to not spell everything out, and also iroha best girl

2. One Punch Man

The normie tier show that should be on basically everyone's list.

1. Shirobako

A show with 100% heart in it. Truly the surprise of the year.

Other shows I liked, but not enough to be top 5: Hibike Euphonium, Working s3, nnb repeat, umaru, shirayuki, ore monogatari, yuru yuri s3, owarimonogatari.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
With all of you guys picking Shirobako, maybe I should give it a second look. The first episode didn't impress me, but how can a bunch of goons be wrong :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

With all of you guys picking Shirobako, maybe I should give it a second look. The first episode didn't impress me, but how can a bunch of goons be wrong :v:

Some goons think Yui is the best girl so goons can be wrong.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

gently caress YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

To be honest, I have never watched, and never will watch, K-On. It's not that I hate it, but it definitely isn't for me. :shrug: *shockedface.gif*

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Talkin' about Yui from SNAFU, not Yui from K-On! I haven't even watched it either.

Everyone knows Mio is the best K-On! character anyways so :shrug:.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I need to check out SNAFU, too since I at least hear that it does some interesting things.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of people like it, and for good reason.

Seems like Hibike, Shirobako, and OPM are the clear winners so far.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I didn't watch a whole ton of anime this year, but of what I did:

#3: Nanatsu no Taizai, because it's basically dragonball (original, not Z) set in king arthur's europe, so it's 100% my jam just from the start, and they really knocked the soundtrack out of the park, which is basically half the battle for me. It's a fairly distant third, but it did stand out from everything else I watched with the exception of:

#2: One Punch Man, because it's OPM. They took an already amazing manga and gave it everything it needed to really breathe and do well in anime format.

#1: Hibike! Euphonium, because it was just really fuckin good. I'm not usually a fan of kyoani shows but even if you don't like the subject matter you have to respect how well put together the show is. It really caught me off guard, since I was only watching it at first because I was a band nerd in high school.

If I get around to watching more of your lie in april, I'll update this, but I didn't really watch enough of it to vote on it. If it keeps going the way it seemed to, it would definitely be #3 instead of nanatsu, possibly knocking OPM out of the second spot. I also need to get around to watching jojo....

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

1 - Ore Monogatari was great because I enjoyed it.
2 - Shirobako was great because I enjoyed it.
3 - Wakakozake was great because I enjoyed it.
4 - Food Wars was great because I enjoyed it.
5 - Overlord was great because I enjoyed it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
5. Symphogear GX
Real fun show as always. I like all the characters and the series uses a sort of perpetual-cliffhanger format that made every week a blast for me. Then I marathoned the series over Thanksgiving weekend on my dad's 50-something-inch TV. It was still as awesome.

4. Hibike! Euphonium
Every moment in a KyoAni show is a splendor to look at, and it's even better when they animate a good story.

3. Oregairu S2 (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
A really good show, one that explores themes in psychology and sociology without reducing any of the characters to plot devices or treating the nameless generics like sheep. I want to protect Yui's smile.

2. Owarimonogatari
I'm still sitting on this one because only half the novel has been covered so far, but the way Ougi shepherds Arararagi's introspection has been super interesting. SHAFT blows me away yet again with their presentations of numerous scenes.

1. Non Non Biyori Repeat
Makes me laugh out loud every episode. Best healing anime since Aria.

Honorable Mentions:

Ninja Slayer From Animation: A show with multiple layers of parody, but also genuinely cool moments. Also, a kick-rear end soundtrack.
Koufuku Graffiti: Super comfy with cute girls. I hope SHAFT always does shows like this, because they loving rock at it.
The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 2nd Season: idols really do capture your heart.
Plastic Memories: I usually skip over these feel-y shows like Clannad, AnoHito, Your Lie in April, etc., but bit on this one because I love the studio. A lot of the side chars were pretty flat imo, but when later episodes focused on the main pairing I really got into it, and cried at the end.

"Oops, I didn't watch it yet" List
Shirobako: sorry. I've seen a lot of MADs, does that count

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

lupin l'avventura italia/part iv

LUPIN
LUPIN
(it's technically finished airing in italy but not in japan)
the first 3 eps are whatever but 4-12 are loving great lupin. fantastic and fun adventure/thief stories without the mediocre tone of the recent tv specials
like if the rest of the show is at their level then it's easily the best lupin series, even topping pt2 and the fujiko series
it's even got weird rear end pt2 style cheesecake episode i guess if drill dick robot in jigen's gravestone wasn't enough
that there's only one subber (working off an italian translation) at the moment is like loving criminal but that's all ya need to enjoy it

2. jojos pt3-2
3. opm
4. parasyte a.k.a. "are you really shinichi?" for an entire series
5. i didn't watch a 5th series

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 21, 2015

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
1. One Punch Man- an extremely good adaption of an already great thing.
2. Snafu S2 - Hachiman is one of my favorite characters ever.
3. Jojo Egypt Arc- It's loving Jojo.
4. My Love Story - Suna is the greatest bro.
5. Arslan Senki - A great harem anime.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best shows of the year:
  1. SNAFU 2: Best little sister. Best milf. Best new insult. Best Hachiman. Best Iroha. Best Yui. Good-to-Great Yukino.
  2. JoJo Egypt Arc: I know Diamond is Unbreakable is coming up on April, but how the hell are they going to trump the presentation this goddamn show gave us?
  3. One Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunch! Endoh Masaaki is the best goddamn hype man this show could have had. The show itself was rad as gently caress, too.
  4. Shirobako: What started as a question to esteemed forums' treasure dot jay-pee-gee became probably my fave show I did not know much about.
  5. Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works I am the bone of my sword... Also, while many have strong opinions about Tsundere characters (and they're mostly right: They tend to suck more often that not), Rin remains one of the funnest Tsunderes from modern times.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Shimoneta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDe7HoOzoZA
  • Shokugeki no Soma: Best food anime. Can't wait for season 2.
  • Durarara x2 1 and 2 out of 3: poo poo's about to get even realer, but these two seasons were rad as gently caress.
  • Yona: Because cute girls can be :black101: as gently caress. Chiwa Saito's best role after Senjougahara.
  • Wakakozake: Best 2nd anime about food. Shinbo needs to stop leaving non-monogatari anime in the hands of his less-than-excellent whipping boys if he wants in on the food anime.
  • Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Good show. Sometimes even great. It did piss me off at times, though.
  • Red-Haired Snow White: A beautiful show. :3:
  • Umaru-chan: Had a roommate like that. It's funny when it happens to other people.
  • Non Non Biyori Repeat: Boring in the best way. :dance:
  • Noragami Aragoto: Hiroshi Kamiya is just destined to keep on playing (mostly) lovable douches with Daisuke Ono not far behind, isn't he?
  • Ore Monogatari!!: Takeo. :3:

Disappointments:
  • Psycho Pass Movie: The 1st season is still the only consistently good thing about this whole franchise. Hopefully this goddamn snorefest is the last thing we get out of it. Urobuchi, get back to making decent standalone movies and Kamen Rider shows.
  • Chaos Dragon: gently caress this show.
  • Gangsta: This show was a bummer, especially given how solid it started.
  • Rokka no Yuusha: gently caress this show's ending. Everything else was deece. But by jove, was that ending awful as poo poo.
  • Prison School: This was rushed as hell, even if it was a fun ride at points.

Holy poo poo, that's 16 anime shows I watched this year that I consistently enjoyed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

[*]Yona: Because cute girls can be :black101: as gently caress. Chiwa Saito's best role after Senjougahara.
-C-COME AGAIN!?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

-C-COME AGAIN!?

Part of what I feel clinched the deal for me is just how Yona REALLY transforms through the story. Going from the typical royal princess / bratty ojou-sama to that one stone-loving-cold glare that could inspire a hundred :krad: metal songs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

5 is hard but I did it.

#5 Ore Monogatari
#4 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Part 2
#3 Working!!
#2 Parasyte
#1 Shirobako

I also wanted to put Wakako-zake and Crowds on my list but they didn't make the Top 5 cut. Cheers

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Oh god only 5? This is gonna be tough. I'll give it considerable thought over the day and see if I can come up with a posted list this evening.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here's a 2016 Preview:

#1 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
#2 Osomatsu-San
#3 Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney

2 other good shows.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

1. Parasyte
2. Jojo
3. Lupin 3rd
4. Unlimited Blade Works
5. Blood Blockade Battlefront

Also good off the top of my head: Arslan (didn't finish), Rinne (same), Maria, Death Parade, Cute High Earth Defense Club Love, Rolling Girls

Strong year

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I spend more time reading about what you people think about anime than I actually spend watching anime

#4 Ore Monogatari
It's me, I'm the shoujo trash.

#3 Snow White
Such absolute loving traaassshhh oh my god yess kiss each other you beautiful people

#2 One Punch Man
It's me, I'm the normie trash. I love OPM's writing. Simple, elegant, with more depth than its initial premise. A funny look into the true power of friendship.

Ore Monogatari and Snow White is shoujo about a girl and a boy being cute and cool and kissing each other (with just a slight bit more action in Snow White). Yona is shoujo about a princess amassing a harem of super-powerful hot dragons for the sake of revenge, while also making the country a better place by rooting out corruption and drugs. I love this loving manga and it gets even better at the point where the anime ends. The anime is ok

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only reason I didn't really consider Yona is because 90% of my enjoyment of it in 2015 was from the manga. The show is pretty great even so.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The only reason I didn't really consider Yona is because 90% of my enjoyment of it in 2015 was from the manga. The show is pretty great even so.

Same but it bleeds over into me putting it at the top anyway

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

There. That is one of the two stone-cold glares. I absolutely loved that moment in the anime. I know it's a really emotional moment for Yona, but the way she looks at Kumji speaks thousands upon thousands of words, each more loving badass than the previous one. What probably comes to her mind, though?

"You are going to die, and I'm not even gonna bother with a second thought about you afterwards"

I had not seen the manga version. It looks even more :black101: than the anime.

gently caress it, I'm going to binge through it in these two days I have free.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

In no particular order

1. Umaru-chan - I'm Umara irl so this show really connected with me.
2. JJBA SC Egypt - A huge improvement in the quality of fights compared to the first half. The only downside is that Kakyoin barely shows up and when he does show up he gets chumped.
3. One-Punch Man - It has a lot to live up to considering it's source material, but it ended being amazing.
4. Osomatsu - Some jokes miss, but overall it's a hilarious show.
5. Parasyte - Real tension and great action.

If I could list a sixth it would be the amazing looking Euphonium.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Talkin' about Yui from SNAFU, not Yui from K-On! I haven't even watched it either.

Everyone knows Mio is the best K-On! character anyways so :shrug:.

im going to ruin you

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Edited my votes in earlier in the thread.

nielsm posted:

Votes

1. Shirobako
A wonderful mix of fun and serious, and it manages to teach you some things on the way too. Every character feels real and reasonable (except one, who is never reasonable, and gets what he deserves) - an office story which keeps you on the edge of your seat! An unconditional recommendation from me.

2. Euphonium
Looks great, sounds great, feels great.

3. Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
Turns up the comedy and character interactions from the first season, getting everything to mesh even better. Also brings further depth to the side characters.

4. Koufuku Graffiti
A very delicious cooking show. Also really like the songs.

5. Yuru Yuri 3 HAI!
Adds lots of depth to what previously appeared more as simple character archetypes, while keeping the comedy up. Not only lots of funny moments, but also several quite touching ones.

Nearly made the list
Red-haired Princess Shirayuki (took a bit to get me hooked, but the characters come off as very natural and likable)
Baby Steps S2

Also enjoyed these a lot
Dog Days S3
Gakkou Gurashi
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Non-Non Biyori Repeat
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Rolling Girls
Seiken Tsukai no World Break
Show By Rock
Teekyuu
Tesagure! Bukatsumono spin-off
Wakakozake

Also, it looks like I should give Yona a second chance. I never made it past half the first episode when it first started.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
1) Shirobako - I've known for months now that Shirobako was the show to beat this year. I didn't realize how many shows would take a legitimate crack at it, though. Shirobako has characters one cares about, characters one hates and wants to see get smacked with rolled up paper but he gets redeemed holy crap I still can't believe I like Tarou, that one character who was smarmy as gently caress and got what was coming hell yeah, and characters that were very believable as anime makers because they're based on real people in the industry. The individual character arcs were great (well, less so for tire girl) and the emotional catharsis from that one scene at the end you know what I'm talking about is incredible and matched this year only by some of the scenes from Euphonium. It's so, so good, and I'm just rambling so I'm going to stop.

21) Sound! Euphonium - I absolutely adore this show. I personally probably like it a bit more than Shirobako, but... gently caress, I don't know, never mind, these tie for first. The show is gorgeous, as one would expect from KyoAni, and it hits all the emotional beats just right. The attention to detail in framing is amazing and does a fantastic job of making you feel what the characters feel without having them say "I'm so dejected" or "I'm determined" or "I'm so in love with this girl." Combine all this with its spot-on evocation of high school band, and it becomes one of my favorite shows of all time, and a contender for my favorite Kyoani. Kumiko makes great noises.

3) One-Punch Man - Good animation, good voice acting, great source material, there was no doubt that this was going to be good. It's good.

4) Non Non Biyori Repeat - So good. So chill. So funky. I want Non Non Biyori always.

5) My Love Story!! - The absolute best fluffy shoujo ever. No drama that's not resolved within 2-3 episodes, Characters communicating to solve their problems, big gorilla protagonist, best best friend ever... this show has it all.

6) Gatchaman Crowds Insight - Really good, but didn't quite do it for me as much as the first season, so it just barely gets edged out of the five.

Honorable mentions, any one of which would hit the top 5 in a normal year:
* Wakako-zake - Good, and chill, and made me want to eat good food and drink good booze. I want more.
* SNAFU s2 - So much payoff. Season 1 was good, but season 2 really took it to another level. I will kill Namtab if there is no season 3.
* Working!!! - Good and funny with romantic resolutions! Now I need Lord of the Takanashi.

These shows are some variation of my jam, but I've yet to watch more than a handful of episodes of each. I doubt any would crack the top five, but one never knows.
* Snow White with the Red Hair
* Akatsuki no Yona
* Maria the Virgin Witch
* Jojo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was unintentional, but I like that the gifs decrease in size as the rankings go down.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I will kill Namtab if there is no season 3.

Fair

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Having a tie for first is some weak poo poo.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You're weak poo poo!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not befitting for an anime forum end of the year list, IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Ranking at all is optional. That said, if ranking affects vote tallying, please count Euphonium as #2 I guess, since until I started writing stuff out I was 100% convinced that Shirobako was #1.

• Locked thread