Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

As promised, some pictures. I was way too tired to take decent pictures on the way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

theHUNGERian posted:

I just completed the hike. Devil's Backbone, out and back via that eyesore fire road to the Top of the Notch. Took me 4.5 hours to get up, another 3 to come down. When i reached the summit there were only 5 other people up there. Will post pics tomorrow.

Yeah that fire road sucks. Next time you go try going up via the Ski Hut trail, then down via Backbone and reward yourself with a drink and lunch at the Ski Lodge.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

Yeah that fire road sucks. Next time you go try going up via the Ski Hut trail, then down via Backbone and reward yourself with a drink and lunch at the Ski Lodge.

Will do. But the Lodge is only open Fri/Sat/Sun and I want to avoid crowds. I'll probably just do the Ski hut trail up and Backbone down (without lunch at the lodge) later this year.

Edit: Have you ever hiked San Gorgonio?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 26, 2016

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Will do. But the Lodge is only open Fri/Sat/Sun and I want to avoid crowds. I'll probably just do the Ski hut trail up and Backbone down (without lunch at the lodge) later this year.

Edit: Have you ever hiked San Gorgonio?

Was just up San Gorgonio this past weekend. And three weeks ago in the snow. If not for the hellish first mile it would be my favorite hike in SoCal.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

Was just up San Gorgonio this past weekend. And three weeks ago in the snow. If not for the hellish first mile it would be my favorite hike in SoCal.

Nice! I'll give it a try later this year or next. I am assuming it would be suicidal to try Gorgonio in the snow if I have very little experience hiking in the snow, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Nice! I'll give it a try later this year or next. I am assuming it would be suicidal to try Gorgonio in the snow if I have very little experience hiking in the snow, right?

Depends on how much snow. When we went it wasn't bad. About 3-5 inches of fresh snow - probably the last that mountain will see for the season.

Now middle of winter or after its had snow settle on it for a little while you would be crazy to try without plenty of experience and appropriate gear.

• Locked thread