Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why can't I nominate the 2015 financial goals thread for worst humblebrag? I know that's the point of the thread, but the thread is boring, pointless, and humble braggy. And totally non-interactive.

I nominate the piece of poo poo 2015 financial goals thread for fulfilling its goal of being awful

A thread full of brags is not a single humblebrag. The only way the category works is if you pick one humblebrag. Otherwise someone could say the BWM thread and it's a stalemate (except one is brags, the other is humblebrags). The category THE WORST HUMBLEBRAG. Not which thread has the most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

flynt posted:

Worst Crowdfunding:
Muerte's thread where he quit his job and raised around 3000$ on a crowdfunding site to hike across America and "raise awareness" about mental health issues. The cart he was using to carry his supplies broke after 6 miles, he only ate raisins, passed out on day 4, and had to get an Uber back to the start. Then someone reported him on the fundraising site and he had to return all the money.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480
Oh god, I lost interest in that one midway through. Him having to return all that money is the perfect ending. :allears:

Bonus points for Tuyop of all people popping in midway through to go "your pack is way too heavy, dude".

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The most amazing redditor was in /r/wallstreetbets who sold everything to go all in to apple call options. I believe he put in around $100k and apple's price went up enough that he was in the money (an amazing turn of events), and then he held until expiry. During which apple's stock price dropped three days before expiry so the calls expired worthless. A terrible bet which he could have profited from but ran it into the ground by being greedy.

Unfortunately there's nothing to link as he destroyed the OP with spam and deleted his account.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devian666 posted:

The most amazing redditor was in /r/wallstreetbets who sold everything to go all in to apple call options. I believe he put in around $100k and apple's price went up enough that he was in the money (an amazing turn of events), and then he held until expiry. During which apple's stock price dropped three days before expiry so the calls expired worthless. A terrible bet which he could have profited from but ran it into the ground by being greedy.

Unfortunately there's nothing to link as he destroyed the OP with spam and deleted his account.
This was a great one. YOLO.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

This guy? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=374&perpage=40#post447690703

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wasn't there some guy in one of the Games threads that railed against a dude trolling his XBone purchase by saying that he could buy and sell his family?

If anyone can find it and it was this year, I'd nominate it for worst humblebrag

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Once again, though, that's not really a humblebrag unless you ignore half of the word.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How do you even do a financial humblebrag? It's almost always just regular-brags, whether you're talking about spending big bucks or being ultra thrifty.

"I tear up every time I look at my son's 529 balance. Just knowing that someone cares so much about his future is so moving"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

That's it and it made watching the aapl price far more interesting. YOLO

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How do you even do a financial humblebrag? It's almost always just regular-brags, whether you're talking about spending big bucks or being ultra thrifty.

"I tear up every time I look at my son's 529 balance. Just knowing that someone cares so much about his future is so moving"

See the one from the last page. One dude in the BWM thread said "I guess I'm kind of BWM. I paid off my student loans ($9100 at 5%) so now it won't be on my credit report anymore." That's the definition of a humblebrag(I accomplished this awesome thing that's smart, but I guess it's bad with money because I have less open accounts or something :smugdog: ), and the BWM thread has tons of them. Talking about how little you paid for your wedding is another example.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 2, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Lots of humble bragging in the BWM thread. Basically every story has about five people replying how they do the opposite, usually leading to a huge derail.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Brag: "I earned way more this year than I expected. Can't wait to see if I can beat it next year"

Humblebrag: "Yikes, earned way more than I expected this year. I'm super worried about doing my taxes!"

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"I am really bad with money :( I keep six figures in my savings account earning .85%"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

detectivemonkey posted:

Brag: "I earned way more this year than I expected. Can't wait to see if I can beat it next year"

Humblebrag: "Yikes, earned way more than I expected this year. I'm super worried about doing my taxes!"

I mean..."gently caress I hate doing taxes related to stock sales" might not have been *meant* as a humblebrag...

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

silvergoose posted:

I mean..."gently caress I hate doing taxes related to stock sales" might not have been *meant* as a humblebrag...

It never is! Here, everyone go to the source.

Can I nominate Knyteguy for top emotional rollercoaster?

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
Funniest Redditor:
"I sold my Rent a Center furniture to pay legal fees and now RAC wants their stuff back" The Reddit OP was deleted but it was posted in the BWM thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=385#post448410522

Worst mainstream media article:
I MADE A HUGE SACRIFICE TO BUY MY DREAM HOME http://www.elledecor.com/life-culture/a7367/i-made-a-huge-sacrifice-to-buy-my-home/
Specifically for this line - "My uterus literally aches despite the fact that logic suggests we can't afford it right now."

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here is the updated list of nominations:

pig slut lisa posted:

Nominations as of 12/30

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
Blue Story First nominated by: Haifisch
Houseboats! First nominated by: Duckman2008
Knyteguy backslides :smith: First nominated by: detectivemonkey

Funniest Redditor
Souvenir Checks First nominated by: Horking Delight
Insurance Fraud Foiled by Dashcam First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
Man sells everything to buy $100K call options on AAPL, tastes profit, ends penniless #YOLO First nominated by: Devian666
I sold my Rent a Center furniture to pay legal fees and now RAC wants their stuff back First nominated by: flynt

Worst mainstream media article
If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong First nominated by: Not a Children

Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
$30,000 on Star Citizen First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! First nominated by: Tyro

Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
Blue Story First nominated by: SiGmA_X
Muerte quits job to hike across America to raise money for mental health issues. Takes an Uber back home after 4 days. First nominated by: flynt (Originally nominated for worst crowdfunding, but moved here because Blue Story didn't have any competition and holy hell is this some competition)

Best derail
Horse Chat First nominated by: Giant Isopod

Most eyerolling humblebrag
KingFisher paid off student loans early, says it's BWM because it's dropping off the credit report :rolleye: First nominated by: Renegret
Switchback complains about the lack of social recognition for a $15,000 pink diamond First nominated by: Weatherman
_areaman tells us about his inexpensive wedding, decides we also need to know he makes $200K+ per year First nominated by: GoGoGadgetChris

Please let me know if I've missed something!

Also, reminder that a proper nomination includes a link to your BWM redditor/article/whatever being discussed on SA. For example, Pompous Rhombus and flynt nominated what seem like great articles but I haven't been able to find anything about them on SA outside this thread. I'd love to add them though if someone can find them!

vvvv Thanks! Apologize for any confusion on my part :)

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 4, 2016

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
Sorry, thought I was supposed to link the article but here is where the aching uterus discussion starts in the BWM thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=367&perpage=40#post447014936

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Slow Motion's abortion happened 11 months ago. Nominating that over Blue Story as my favorite Seattle accountant trainwreck:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560557&pagenumber=170&perpage=40#post441397222

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I did some poking around and found the link to Pompous Rhombus' article: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=322#post444057873 (coincidentally posted by himself!)

That entire chunk of pages is full of r/personalfinance trainwrecks too, for people still looking for nominations. :psyduck:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MrKatharsis posted:

Slow Motion's abortion happened 11 months ago. Nominating that over Blue Story as my favorite Seattle accountant trainwreck:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560557&pagenumber=170&perpage=40#post441397222
While they are both awesome trainwrecks, he is an actuary. They are way more boring that we [accountants] are! :D

Horking Delight posted:

I did some poking around and found the link to Pompous Rhombus' article: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=322#post444057873 (coincidentally posted by himself!)

That entire chunk of pages is full of r/personalfinance trainwrecks too, for people still looking for nominations. :psyduck:
I must have missed that post last year! That is fantastic!!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks everyone for your nominations! I'm going to close the thread for a few days while Nail Rat and I flesh out some of the categories. Check back later in the week for voting.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:siren: Voting for the 2015 Golden Wonderhangers is now active! :siren:

Please see this post for the full slate of nominees as well as voting instructions

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 10, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm so first

1B
2D*
3A
4B
5B
6B
7B

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

1D
2B
3C
4B
5B
6AAA++***
7C

when you try shorting penny stocks or commit insurance fraud, you can have a reasonable expectation of what the outcome could be. But horses, insidious shits that they are, will slowly but surely gently caress you in the financial a-zone as you wonder why you`re hemorrhaging money. Maybe you`ll call your accountant to help you sort it out, as soon as Peggy finishes her appointment with that horse psychic...

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
1A
2B
3C
4A - ahaha I missed this one, "There’s three people that have been influential for my entire life, and one was John Carmack, one was Steve Jobs, and one was Chris Roberts. "
5B
6A
7D

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

1A
2B
3A
4A
5B
6A
7A

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
1B
2C
3C
4B
5B*
6A
7B

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

1A*
2A
3A
4A
5B
6A
7A

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1A
2B
3A
4A
5B
6A*
7C

I was sorely tempted to pick Muerte as Worst With Money, but he's really bad at life more than he's bad at money.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

1C
2A
3A
4B*
5B
6A
7A

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
1A
2B
3A
4B
5B
6A*
7D - this was tough, the engagement ring humblebrag was really good too

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

1D
2A
3A
4B*
5A
6C
7D

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
1D
2A*
3B
4C
5B
6A
7B

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
1D
2C
3A
4B*
5A
6A
7C

Can we please have SloMo brought back for an annual update? Mods?!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

1B
2D
3A
4B*
5C
6C
7B

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 11, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
1D
2B
3A
4A
5A
6A
7D

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
1D*
2B
3A
4B
5A
6A
7D

quote:

I was sorely tempted to pick Muerte as Worst With Money, but he's really bad at life more than he's bad at money.

Ditto on this.

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
1. D
2. A
3. A
4. B*
5. A
6. A
7. B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU