Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Epitope posted:

Was he a labrador retriever?

No sir, human female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

No sir, human female.

Can you not refer to me in this fashion

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Yes, sorry friend :(. You and anyone else with this take on peeing & being places is totally cool btw!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

meselfs posted:

An interesting person I used to know had a really cool life rule: you haven't actually been someplace until you've peed on the ground. Keep that in mind next time you say "I went hiking".
Then I've at least been to me.

One good rule is to have a back up excuse in your head if you have to hitch a lift and the person you flagged down is wasted. This isn't a rare thing because mostly sober people do not stop for two legged things.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Levitate posted:

Rally popular areas like around mt Whitney require wag bags for pooping in otherwise the area turns into a sewer and smells like poo poo all the time

Other than that, 6 inches down and pack out your TP or use leaves or something. TP doesn't biodegrade for poo poo and animals dig it up and strew it around. Also don't poo poo next to the trail or campsites that's just loving weird

It ain't all pretty but I'd rather not always be stepping on people's toilet paper and poo poo I get enough of that living in a city

I'm not up on the latest camping rules but books I've read say you can just light your TP when you're done, then bury the poop+ashes that remain. Dunno if this would now be considered gauche, I assume I'd do it and some guy from the Sierra Club would show up & throw a bucket of blood at me.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I dug a king sized snow latrine for a 20-person group at a 3-day campsite in the mountains. I was told by the instructors that this is acceptable practice, but I'm still a bit nervous about leaving a concentrated pile of 60 man-days of fecal matter.

It was a real luxury toilet too, double holer, sheltered from the elements, with a dug-in paper combustion chamber. We filled it in as we left, but I pity the poor Sami herdsman who gets entrapped by the fecal sarlacc.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Picnic Princess posted:

You guys are a bunch of babies. We brought mini-toilets with us when we paddled Canyonlands for a week and it was fuckin fine

Mini toilet? Ammo cans or GTFO :colbert:

Epitope posted:

Why don't you just put your hand on the ground behind you??

Your technique is all wrong, whip off your belt and use it to lean off a tree

This is squatting 101 here people

And remember to take off your pants unless you want to be that guy who accidentally shat on his pants

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Lol you guys are all wrong. Look up how Asians use squatty potty's and just dig a little hole and do the same drill.

Just bunch up your pants/underwear around your knees so you don't get any on yourself.

After spending some time in SE Asia I'm now confident I can just drop trow and take a poo poo anywhere anytime

no prob

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Lol you guys are all wrong. Look up how Asians use squatty potty's and just dig a little hole and do the same drill.

Just bunch up your pants/underwear around your knees so you don't get any on yourself.

After spending some time in SE Asia I'm now confident I can just drop trow and take a poo poo anywhere anytime

no prob

same

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you squat appropriately you will find things flow better and wiping to be cleaner. The squatty potty is no joke.

Added bonus, the breeze makes you feel cleaner than before.

And yes, figure out the pants scenario before you go. It is much easier to hit your clothes than you think. I think I pissed on my boots the first time I tried making GBS threads in the woods.

Lastly, I can't fathom pooping in a bag. I have a hard time aiming for a small hole in the ground. I can't imagine trying to hit a small ziplock.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is true

Verman posted:

If you squat appropriately you will find things flow better and wiping to be cleaner. The squatty potty is no joke.

but this is lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Verman posted:

Added bonus, the breeze makes you feel cleaner than before.

And yes, figure out the pants scenario before you go. It is much easier to hit your clothes than you think. I think I pissed on my boots the first time I tried making GBS threads in the woods.

Lastly, I can't fathom pooping in a bag. I have a hard time aiming for a small hole in the ground. I can't imagine trying to hit a small ziplock.

wag bags are like trash bag size and then you seal them up smaller

dunno about pooping in actual zip locks seems pointless

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ah. I always figured those bags are like gallon zip lock size. Luckily I've never been somewhere which required it to be packed out.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
when i worked in utah they tried to convince us to crap in a bucket and hike the poop back out. gently caress. THAT. i poop in the woods like a normal animal. i will never in my life carry my poop around with me. i've also never really been anywhere popular enough to require it though so i guess i should count my blessings

i heard some of the conservation freaks also do something called "rock making GBS threads" or something like that where they'll poo poo on a flat sunny rock, then smear it around with a stick. apparently it's better for the environment. that's slightly more palatable to me but still sounds like a waste of time. wildland fire got my poops timed to under 5 minutes including hole digging, ain't got no time for none of that. drop trou, dump load, keep truckin.

as regards using trees and stuff, grabbing a tree to lean back on is my go-to. some people do the "tripod" or "quadpod" where you put one or two hands behind you, but somehow that always made my nervous, not sure why since it's not like you could accidentally poop on your hand unless you really screw up... i dunno, i guess i just like not to have anything downrange of the blast zone.
some people also like to park on down trees or whatever but this scares me too, i always feel like the poo is just going to slop down the side and not really go where i intend it to. one idea i've heard is the "buddy squat", where you stand face-to-face with a friend, link arms, and hold each other up as you squat. i've never seen this is in action but i do find it very humorous in concept

i've never gotten poo on my trousers but one time i did accidentally drop the handle of my pulaski into the poo hole before i finished burying it. that was very embarrassing. fortunately i had an un-stripped MRE on me so i used the wet-wipe to clean it up and nobody was the wiser.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i feel like wildland firefighters earn a pass on packing it out

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The rock poo poo technique is known as "frosting a rock", it's efficacy is dubious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Free Market Mambo posted:

The rock poo poo technique is known as "frosting a rock", it's efficacy is dubious.

it certainly seemed that way. the guy i heard about it from was a real flaky piece of crap too, some ultralite douche who was real proud of himself for having sponsors. seemed like he was pretty much sponsored to just walk around with a bunch of tacky day-glo nylon poo poo

• Locked thread