Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Weldon Pemberton posted:

You in no way deserved to get banned, but I sort of understand how that could happen. Isn't there like an insider's thing among Radiohead fans about Kid A and Amnesia being much better than the other Radiohead albums, and misunderstood by critics who largely gave them poorer ratings than the previous albums? I could see there having been massive flame wars between people with that opinion and more casual fans with the more mainstream opinion (that OK Computer and The Bends are better), to the point where anyone going "OK Computer is better than Kid A" could be seen as trying to start a flame war. Another example would be people innocently coming in to say "the early Manic Street Preachers albums (before Richey disappeared) were by far the best" on a forum for that band and immediately getting dogpiled for being Cult of Richey and trying to start up an old debate. It could probably happen on SA as well, with some newbie coming in to discuss a controversial topic with a long and storied history on the forums, like furries or libertarianism.

Some communities just get very insular to the point of not being very welcoming to the new and uninitiated.

I am a huge Radiohead fan and I actively dislike the majority of Kid A, idgaf what the superfan consensus is. But then, there are few groups as petty, pedantic, and idiotic as those who get really serious about popular music. Probably only gamers and audiophiles are worse.

The human ability to get into a slapfight about literally anything is actually kind of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread