Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Years and years ago, a forum I posted at got a redesign that included a giant sidebar. The sidebar was a fixed width, so at a fairly standard (at the time) 1024x768 resolution it took up about a quarter of the screen, and there was no option to disable it. If you talked about the sidebar you got banned, and one subforum even got deleted for being a hotbed of anti-sidebar sentiment. The really funny part about this last bit is that all the moderators gathered in the admin's hotel room at a gaming convention to watch and film the deletion of this most vile of subforums, and someone even took a picture:

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

runwiled posted:

Ah, Unmod. You sent me on a crazy nostalgia trip

That would be the one! Lots of good times and bad posts were had there. I bet a "PYF Old Dead Forum (Outside of SA)" thread would be fun.

Another mad moderation memory from that time and place: in the more moderated subforums, if you called out another poster on breaking forum rules/posting poorly, then you would be punished for "minimodding", a vaguely defined offense that boiled down to "a mod didn't like you". IIRC the second-most-prolific poster on the forum ended up getting banned for this.

The guy was a douchebag that everyone hated, but unfortunately that was perfectly legal.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

BJPaskoff posted:

That's crazy. Looking through the Facebook group, these people can only see the world through content warnings. Even comments on the articles are such as, "hey you missed a content warning for 'food'." I was hoping to see a meltdown, but from what the article says those are quickly deleted and life goes on like nothing happened.

Do they still have the multi-tiered "content notes are different from content warnings are different from trigger warnings, label one in the wrong category and get banned" system? Because if not, the current state of things may actually be less uptight than it was when I posted my banme from that group.

• Locked thread