Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Q3: Was 3 votes for worst anime better than the 5 votes last year?

Q4: Should "most avoided" stay as one pick or move to 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

most avoided as one pick, but 5 votes for bad animes

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I like having 1 vote for most avoided. For worst anime, I like 3 because I don't think I watch many shows I dislike, but increasing it is fine since I'd still just vote for 3 or so.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Code Gayass.

Ledouche of the Fagbellion

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Srice posted:

Like considering the people involved with Chaos Dragon and the fact that *nobody* cared about it? That's a good sign of how boring most viewers found it

Srice posted:

From all accounts Chaos Dragon was aggressively dull and boring and unremarkable and etc etc, which makes it a good candidate for the worst thing but that would require people to actually watch a few episodes.

I was the only one who bothered to make the thread for it after 3 episodes and even then I dropped after episode 5

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'll watch Cross Ange because every reason that the sub-neanderthal imbeciles on this forum disliked it sound appealing to me and it honestly sounds like a better version of the best anime of this Millenium, Code Geass.

There isn't a single thing it does better, objectively speaking, and many that it does considerably worse. This has been scientifically proven.

But I hope your subjective craving for the "women-in-prison" exploitation genre mixed with random dragons and crotch landings will be satisfied.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I also hope plutonis enjoys cross ange

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

wielder posted:

But I hope your subjective craving for the "women-in-prison" exploitation genre mixed with random dragons and crotch landings will be satisfied.

But enough about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Incoherence, Cross Ange, soon Plutonis will start buying people avs.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wielder posted:

There isn't a single thing it does better, objectively speaking, and many that it does considerably worse. This has been scientifically proven.

Why are you in a sincere engagement with Plutonis on any subject but butts

Enjoy the butts Plutonis

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Most enraging ending could be a category, since the ending tends to skew peoples' lists to some degree. If it were, I can think of a few shows that I somehow managed to suffer my way through that would have gotten my vote over, for example, Rokka.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rodyle posted:

Why are you in a sincere engagement with Plutonis on any subject but butts

Hey, I was being a fair bit playful there. Just not needing to be too insincere nor crass about it. :cheeky:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Those categories seem kinda bad. Worst Animation is weird because tons of shows don't even try. Worst VA is just a catfight. Worst Moment could be fun though.

The second thing I wanted to say is that I watched way too much of Cross Ange because it had an amazing interstitial that made me think the show was going to turn into Escaflowne at some point. I don't think that lady ever even rode a dragon. What a loving waste.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what about a "worst show you watched every episode of"?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kater posted:

Those categories seem kinda bad. Worst Animation is weird because tons of shows don't even try. Worst VA is just a catfight. Worst Moment could be fun though.

Worst Animation is hard to get good votes for because what actually constitutes animation can be rather narrow or hard to distinguish from other parts of the visual presentation. You'd surely get people voting "those giant chins look horrible" despite that being a character design thing. And then shows like Ping Pong which is actually well animated, but an unusual style.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

that's basically the thing about cross ange. even if you can get past the fact that it's kind of loving vile (and this is coming from someone who loves poo poo like Genocyber) it's just... not interesting. the plot is basically just Stone Ocean, Zeta Gundam, Escaflowne, and a dog turd chucked into a blender, set to puree, and extruded into a glass like some kind of horrible anime Soylent.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

nielsm posted:

Worst Animation is hard to get good votes for because what actually constitutes animation can be rather narrow or hard to distinguish from other parts of the visual presentation. You'd surely get people voting "those giant chins look horrible" despite that being a character design thing. And then shows like Ping Pong which is actually well animated, but an unusual style.

Not to mention that different people value different aspects of animation, such as say fluidity of animation or how detailed it is.

It could certainly spur some interesting conversations tho so I'm conflicted!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alternate joke post: Just make Toei the winner every year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

that's basically the thing about cross ange. even if you can get past the fact that it's kind of loving vile (and this is coming from someone who loves poo poo like Genocyber) it's just... not interesting. the plot is basically just Stone Ocean, Zeta Gundam, Escaflowne, and a dog turd chucked into a blender, set to puree, and extruded into a glass like some kind of horrible anime Soylent.
that's a really lame way to describe a plot

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Worst VA can't be a catfight because it will be everyone voting for Japanese Senhor Kaiô I mean King Kai

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

wrong thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spoilers dude I haven't finished reading part 5 yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Not to mention that different people value different aspects of animation, such as say fluidity of animation or how detailed it is.

It could certainly spur some interesting conversations tho so I'm conflicted!

I sort of feel the same about 'worst acting'. It's being argued that it's too subjective, but this is the bad anime thread. drat near everything in it is subjective. It'd be hard to argue that voice acting isn't a key part of a show's quality, too.

I assume there'll be opposite versions of these in the good anime thread as well? Best acting, best animation, and so on?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's no reason to overcomplicate things when doing a top 5 kind of catches all those details anyway

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

In Training posted:

There's no reason to overcomplicate things when doing a top 5 kind of catches all those details anyway

Not necessarily. There may be shows that you wouldn't put in your top five overall, but are the obvious best at one specific thing, just as there are shows that aren't overall terrible, but have some really bad stuff in them. For instance, OPM wasn't in my top five this year, but it's a good candidate for 'best animation' simply because being an animation showcase is one of its biggest reasons for being.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Unless you really want out-of-context screenshots and smug, boring posts lets not discuss animation quality on the something awful forums.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Unless you really want out-of-context screenshots and smug, boring posts lets not discuss animation quality on the something awful forums.

I think there would be some smart posts about the subject but yeah, a lot of the posts would fall into those two categories

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an animation quality thread, but where you're only allowed to post cool gifs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

ADTRW watched the Endless Eight and likes it this time

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there was a sakuga thread and it died

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

Let's do it

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

ADTRW watched the Endless Eight and likes it this time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i'll start

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im waiting

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume there'll be opposite versions of these in the good anime thread as well? Best acting, best animation, and so on?

I have nothing to do with the good anim thread other than stealing the list. Ask darkgrey.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't feel like we should complicate these lists with a lot of categories most people may or may not be qualified to comment on anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't feel like we should complicate these lists with a lot of categories most people may or may not be qualified to comment on anyway.

i expected a much worse av, for losing the thunderdome. congrats

• Locked thread