Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Amazing.

I've decided what I'm going to do. It's going to be weird and focus almost entirely on narrative. Hopefully I'm not a horrible writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Giggs posted:

Amazing.

I've decided what I'm going to do. It's going to be weird and focus almost entirely on narrative. Hopefully I'm not a horrible writer.

It ain't hard to be a chill writer y'know.

I'm also going with narrative but I'mma just take the easy way out and do a thing in Tyranobuilder.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Today's progress. (I should probably have gotten rid of that ANIME texture by now)

Shalinor posted:

Give your little dudes hats, and you've basically got what I did in Jones On Fire. Making the little hands swish as you run around will give your run cycle a remarkable amount of personality. Also, really ham it up with the squash and stretch when you're backflipping and such - you can go waaay further than you've got it right now, if you're so inclined.

... and volcano dude isn't horrible, he actually looks pretty cool!

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful! I'll have to play around with that more later. And yeah, I decided to keep the volcano guy. At least for now.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
All the progress images, gifs, and vids look 𝓬𝓱𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝟐 𝓭𝓪 ℬ𝓞𝓝𝓔, great work so far!
This gets special props because I don't think I've ever seen a better expression of true polar bear sadness.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I seem to have made a pencil that can draw in thin air.

Now I need to consider turning it into a paintbrush with different colors...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Been makin' pictures! Pictures of cool stuff!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I feel awful. All these high quality progress shots and here I am with this:

I'm guessing it'd be better if I did hand drawn snowmans?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a shader.

Not the greatest of progresses, but it's something.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Elentor posted:

I made a shader.

This is extremely cool.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Awesome stuff! So creative :)

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
ok I still have no ideas so anything that comes to me in the next 5 minutes is what I'm going to riff on..

[5 minutes later]

welp I'm stuck with this now

Edit: some gameplay:

Afal fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 10, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Elentor posted:

I made a shader.

I wish I was better with shaders. The code is so stiff though.

I fixed the Llama graphics. I turned off all the camera effects and did everything with the sprites. I think it looks better this way.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Hey folks, if there are any art people out there who aren't already working on something I could use some sprites for the game I'm working on for the jam. I'm making an oregon trail ripoff where you play as a penguin, and I've been able to get by with programmer art for the most part, but there are certain parts that I am too terrible at art for.

In Oregon Trail, you move forward until you hit various destinations like rivers or forts. I'm going to need both smaller icon type sprites as well as larger "full screen" sprites for the different destinations.
The "icon" type sprites look like this:

and the larger ones look like this:

I have quite a bit of the functionality of the game done, but I haven't really settled on locations yet aside from "the north pole" and "a mound of snow" so I'm open to pretty much anything destination-wise. The game will span the globe, roughly like this:

so it'll need at least some water locations and some land locations, possibly specific locations roughly on that line (although the line doesn't need to be straight, and could definitely deviate as much as the whole planet if we wanted).

I'm also going to do at least one hunting minigame, so it'll probably need some creatures to shoot at (and/or swim at and eat when over water?) at some point as well.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Im making progress.

Sprawling, unstructured progress full of internal static everythings, making a mockery of all that is good design, but progress nonetheless.
In the next 5 days Im gonna focus on writing and graphics, since I'll be doing a final project at school.

More people should hang out on Slack.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

iSurrender posted:

Sprawling, unstructured progress full of internal static everythings, making a mockery of all that is good design, but progress nonetheless.

I've never done a game jam because I've always been busy when they came around, but I'm really enjoying the fact that I can cut corners in a jam game and feel justified because of the time limit :v:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I've got some really cool stuff going on with Interfaces. I've created an IUsable interface that I can include in any script. Pop it onto an object and bam, that object highlights when you look at it, and lets you click it to do a thing.

On the side, we're trying to understand Unity GI, all our games end up looking the same, and I'm pretty sure it's because we haven't delved into this stuff yet.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Elentor posted:

I made a shader.

That looks amazing.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

This is extremely cool CHILL.

FTFY

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Day 3!

Was in work all Saturday and Star Wars all today but I managed to get this working today! I think you can all guess what I'm putting together and it has nothing to do with Chilly weather but hopefully I can make it super casual and chill.

For tomorrow I want to set up different coloured bubbles and feeding shots into the machine like in Puzzle Bobble :3:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Atoramos posted:

On the side, we're trying to understand Unity GI, all our games end up looking the same, and I'm pretty sure it's because we haven't delved into this stuff yet.
Nope, that's kinda just "Unity." Unity's render pipeline produces a pretty singular look if you lean on its lighting at all, and it's just down to "did you bake lighting" or "did you go dynamic/deferred." Changing that requires either hacking the renderpipe to tiny bits, which you CAN do but gets super involved, or throwing out a bunch of its surface shader model by going unlit/low-fi/etc with custom shaders, which is what most do instead.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi guys, I just wanted to say, no matter what happens, I'm honored to be able to participate in this jam and achieve my dream of being the first white woman from Texas to make a game in my dining room based on the misadventures of a South Asian woman from Canada.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
We have birds with scarves!

You collect golden baubles and put them in your nest, which attracts other birds. Going to try and include simple "fight" instances if it's not too bad.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

We're three days in and all I have is a game design document, but I'm proud to be the first white guy in Seattle to make a game about anime.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

blastron posted:

We're three days in and all I have is a game design document, but I'm proud to be the first white guy in Seattle to make a game about anime.

I am proud to be on that dude's team. This year I may actually post progress sfx in here!

TheBrigand
Aug 23, 2013

Video Games

Part of Terrible Tripel D Gramphic's newest tiny IP. A very chatty bird made in Photoshop.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

I still don't have in-game enemies, just haters

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

why is everyone taking selfies

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I still don't have in-game enemies, just haters

Anyway in actual game development stuff so far, I got around to mostly fixing my tiles as well as added a nice relatively subtle water effect (which I plan on having a setting for ramping up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU0iVnxxlPM

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Manslaughter posted:

:siren: NEW BOUNTY :siren:

I pledge one copy of Bad Rats to the "BEST" GAME DEV SELFIE to be chosen during the official judging deliberations stream.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 11, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0TR-JzFhXg

Today was a bit less productive than I would have liked, but I was able to get in very rudimentary enemy behavior working. Things kinda work if you pretend that the attacks actually do something.

I'm a little worried that I'm leaning too heavily on Unity's particle systems as my special effects here. I might take them away from the enemy attack and just rely on the animations/sound effects to sell the idea of the hit. And finally, I made some blocks so these guys are standing on a proper platform now.

Also:

I'm proud to be the first Ice-Hearted Florida Man to make a game about destroying the heat with your bare hands

Takanago fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 11, 2016

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Ok, here is my progress so far. Spoiler alert (judges don't click).

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Apparently I didn't know about the Animation Window in Unity until just now. Wish I had realized that a few months ago and saved myself a huge pain in the rear end. On the bright side, some progress!

Not pictured: At least 2 hours loving around with Blender trying to figure out why multiple materials wouldn't export.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Despite losing most of my time this weekend to social obligations, I managed to set aside a few minutes tonight to re-add TMX loading and character motion.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Progress report:

I have something that turns a text like this:

<Speech>

"Policemen. Policewoman. Brave officers of the force. I come to you today, not as your superior officer,
or your boss - though I am both those things, but I come to you as a fellow citizen of this great town and country we are all so proud to serve.
I come to you today in mourning over the tragic events that have unfolded last night."

Option: Sit in silence. [FartIncrement] [GOTO 2Fart]
Option: Rip out a huge fart. [GOTO 2Silence]

to this:

Complete with clicking on those buttons changing the game to the next node.

Now all I have to do is tighten up the graphics on level 3, and ill have a complete game!

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 11, 2016

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Lucid Dream posted:

Ok, here is my progress so far. Spoiler alert (judges don't click).

This rocks. UI-based games best games

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I wish I had gotten into this game jam just because of the selfies. :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fredrik1 posted:

I wish I had gotten into this game jam just because of the selfies. :(

Never too late to start!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Progress! I spent a rather significant amount of time finally figuring out Unity's animation system. It's a lot better than programming all of that by hand that's for drat sure.

In other news this dude bro can now sit on his awesome couch, grab chips, and eat them. This is very important.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Selfies?

I'm making a game about playing darts. Because darts is the most chill game I can think of.

The basic mechanics are done, scoring is done albeit a massive awful kludge because UE4 loves doing stupid angles. And because I was too dumb to think of using polar coordinates until I had hacked it together.

Working on prettying it up, adding actual dart rules, AI, etc.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Xibanya posted:

Hi guys, I just wanted to say, no matter what happens, I'm honored to be able to participate in this jam and achieve my dream of being the first white woman from Texas to make a game in my dining room based on the misadventures of a South Asian woman from Canada.

This is amazing and I feel bad that it seems to have gone over many people's heads. For those who don't know: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

sighnoceros posted:

This is amazing and I feel bad that it seems to have gone over many people's heads. For those who don't know: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Yeah, that went about twenty-nine thousand feet over my head. Whoops!

• Locked thread