Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
While working at a makeup-and-knickknack store, I tried to very hygienically get a sample of this new lip cream-gel we were selling from a huge glass bowl by scooping up a tiny amount from the side no one was using. However, when I pulled away a huge glob of the gel stuck to my hand and started congealing in my palm instead.

I looked to the sample attendant for help, but she just raised an eyebrow and said "Umm.... Okay, but just so you know, that stuff's really expensive. So, like, when you buy it... don't use that much."

Thus expertly shamed, I dabbed a tiny amount on my lips (tastes sugary!) and slinked to the bathroom to wash the rest off. In front of the sink I thought briefly about just stealing the rest by putting it in a ziploc baggie in my pocket.

But then I decided I shouldn't risk karmic vengeance by the volcano that was expected to erupt later that night, so I washed my hands, threw the baggie away and went back to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
One of my "favorites" from when I was a kid:

Like most of my dreams, there isn't much context to set up why I was in this situation. All I really know is I was in my backyard, playing with a dragon. Of course, being a little kid, it wasn't an actual, realistic dragon. More like a cartoon dragon, about 6 feet tall or so, purple.

We played normal kid games, tag and such, and then suddenly the dragon had a great idea. We went over to a small dog run my dad had built for our dogs, and the dragon led me to a large hole in the middle. This hole was real and not just a figment of the dream, since one of our dogs had decided that was her spot to dig, and over the years it got bigger and bigger.

We got in the hole, and the dragon gave me one simple request, "Dance with me." I'm not much on dancing, but I didn't want to disappoint my new friend. So we started to dance. We danced around in place in this deep hole. But something was wrong, my breath was suddenly coming out too short. I thought, at first, that I was just tired from dancing. But it got worse. Soon my breaths were becoming very shallow. I tried to get out of the hole, to go back home and catch my breath. "No, stay with me," the dragon implored. So I stayed in the hole.

I could feel my chest tensing up. I was barely able to choke any air in now, and after a few final breaths I was no longer able. I was suffocating. I tried to get out of the hole one more time, but the dragon held me in place. He was no longer happy. He was no longer laughing. He was holding me there, wanting me to suffocate. I don't know why, I thought he was my friend. Everything started to go hazy, my eyes spotted and it was fading into blackness.

And then I woke up. My face was firmly pressed into my pillow. I had flipped over in my sleep and was smothering myself. I don't know if it's physically possible for me to have actually succeeded or if my body would have always woken up before I could do any damage, but that dream still haunts me to this day.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I rarely dream, and I almost never have nightmares, but the most recent one freaked me the gently caress out because it involved an experience I didn't even know was possible.

Warning: if you get really creeped out by bugs then you really don't want to read this, it might cause nightmares for you and I'd prefer it didn't.

The dream started very suddenly, I was in bed and I felt a tingling and then painful sensation. I threw back the covers and found something kind of like a centipede had bitten my leg, and started burrowing it's way into me, while another one was crawling up my arm, I grabbed the arm one and threw it across the room. Then I woke up. This was not the end of the dream, because for some reason the dream loving bled into reality. When I woke up I saw and felt the goddamn thing still burrowing into my leg, so I grabbed it and pulled it out of me and threw it across the room, and I even heard the soft 'thawp' when it hit the wall, although when it did so I saw it start fading away into nothingness.

I stayed sitting up in bed looking around and wondering if I was going insane because I had a no-poo poo full sensory waking hallucination. Never had something like that happen before or since. It was terrible, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy even once.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

My last dream I remember was a re-imaging of Jurrasic Park 4.

Nedry, Ian Malcom and the Blood-sucking lawyer now own Jurrasic park which is represented as a huge medow surrounded by a 6 foot tall electric fence. The kids from the first movie appear and Nedry tries to bait them to visit, the Dinosaur from JP4 appears prowling inside the perimeter and the kids say "gently caress no".

The kids go off and play in a playground near the park along with some Pikmin (???) appearing fom the grass.

We change to a scene inside the park where Ian lays atop a bed and wonders where everyone went, he goes and looks around and finds a raging river, nedry and the lawyer are swept through it, Ian grabs a boat but gets chomped by the JP4 dino from nowhere.

After that another boat appears, with the appearance of Alan Grant with his hat over his face, only the face is that of Josh Whendon, this is where I begin to interview him about this movie.

All I can remember at the end is asking him if Universal studios was ok was this, and they were.

:shepface:

Other assorted dreams

- I play a good game of Monster hunter, only to find out its a demo

-My friend goes to the beach because I was singing a song about being confident

- I'm begging my friend not to grab the Xenomorph egg from the vending machine, I then attend a showing of the movie Matilda

- I am watching a powerpuff girls episode and noting how detailed the backgrounds are

- I have an animation group project I need to finish with hsien ko and the fonz.

- Robots have taken over the world and it's only up to the Thing, Iron-man and some zombie people to save the day

- The Tick becomes the Blue falcon (the one with dyno-mutt)

My dreams are literal fan-fiction most of the time :-(

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Rorac posted:

I rarely dream, and I almost never have nightmares, but the most recent one freaked me the gently caress out because it involved an experience I didn't even know was possible.

Warning: if you get really creeped out by bugs then you really don't want to read this, it might cause nightmares for you and I'd prefer it didn't.

The dream started very suddenly, I was in bed and I felt a tingling and then painful sensation. I threw back the covers and found something kind of like a centipede had bitten my leg, and started burrowing it's way into me, while another one was crawling up my arm, I grabbed the arm one and threw it across the room. Then I woke up. This was not the end of the dream, because for some reason the dream loving bled into reality. When I woke up I saw and felt the goddamn thing still burrowing into my leg, so I grabbed it and pulled it out of me and threw it across the room, and I even heard the soft 'thawp' when it hit the wall, although when it did so I saw it start fading away into nothingness.

I stayed sitting up in bed looking around and wondering if I was going insane because I had a no-poo poo full sensory waking hallucination. Never had something like that happen before or since. It was terrible, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy even once.

Oh man, I have half-woken up and seen/felt scary poo poo like that too. Once I shot up in bed after dreaming about spiders and saw a huge spider scurry across my pillow. I woke up my fiance and we tore the bed apart looking for it, but found nothing. Another time I sat up, turned around and saw at least a dozen tiny men lined up as if in a military formation on the pillow. I shook my fiance awake (again-- the guy puts up with a lot of this) and once he started telling me there was nothing there, they began fading away. I've also been convinced there's something sitting on my face and woken up thrashing and hitting myself.

But the worst was when I was sleeping alone and just as I was drifting off to sleep (or it felt like I was), I opened my eyes and looked at the wall of my room opposite a window. I heard a car drive by outside, and as the headlights passed by they lit up what looked like the silhouette of a man standing outside my window. But the light didn't go away with the noise of the car-- it stopped halfway through and just stayed there, with a clear torso and arm projected on the wall.

After finally regaining the ability to move, I turned to look at the window and saw there was nothing out of the ordinary, and definitely no one in the window. I turned back to the wall and the silhouette was still there. I looked at the window-side of my room again, and noticed that while there was a light outside (from the garage), there was nothing in the area that could make that kind of shadow in that location-- just my sheer curtains, hanging the same way they always do. I turned back and the silhouette was still there. I vaguely started thinking I was about to be killed by aliens.

Then I blinked a few times, and the silhouette morphed into nothing-- just the dim garage light and the normal shapes of my curtains.

This is where I know it sounds lame and creepypasta-ey, but yeah... my room is on the second floor. There's no road outside the windows, and no way for a car to get into the right angle for the headlights to project on that wall. There is actually a first-floor roof outside the window that someone could conceivably stand on, which is what froze me with fear at first... but there was definitely nothing and no one outside when I turned and looked. And furthermore, no way for anything to be projected there in the first place, so I must have imagined/hallucinated the whole thing just like I do all the spiders and tiny pillow-men that my poor fiance has to deal with.

So that's what I tell myself when I remember the whole thing just before I have to go to sleep. Like... right now. Goddamnit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone ever had a dream within a dream? I thought they only existed in fiction, but I had my first one in 20-some odd years, and it's pretty weird and kind of scary because you wake up for real but you're not entirely sure you're actually awake or just in another dream to be woken up from. I think I understand where Zhuangzi was coming from with the whole butterfly thing now.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Mar 9, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How about when dreams bleed into reality on waking?
I dreamed I was in some sort of running race and started running on all fours, digging my fingertips into the ground for extra speed (dream logic?), I woke up suddenly in the middle of it and I swear for a second, my fingertips were aching in pain from this.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Around age 10 or 11 or so I dreamed I was riding my scooter down a hill in a parking lot. The scooter hits a rock or a pebble or something and the impact sends me flying over a nearby fence. As I soar over the fence I realize the entire other side is a mess of brambles and thorns and vines and other prickly things. I am helpless as I fall in slow motion into the thorns. The thorns poke my eyes and suddenly I'm on my scooter again hitting the same rock and flying and falling in slow motion as the thorns poke my eyes again, and it proceeded to loop in this same way over and over. I don't know how many cycles occurred, but it felt like forever. Looking back on it, an interesting thing was that I don't remember experiencing any emotions or pain or anything during the dream. It was almost like a recording just going through the motions over and over.

Davinci has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Mar 11, 2016

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Has anyone ever had a dream within a dream? I thought they only existed in fiction, but I had my first one in 20-some odd years, and it's pretty weird and kind of scary because you wake up for real but you're not entirely sure you're actually awake not or just in another dream to be woken up from. I think I understand where Zhuangzi was coming from with the whole butterfly thing now.

I don't have them often but I've had them a few times. The one I remember most vividly was walking out onto an enormous pier hundreds of feet over a lake, then waking up and going downstairs thinking it was real life and then being greeted with all sorts of creepy posters on the kitchen walls, then waking up in a hotel and standing at the top of an impossibly tall indoor waterslide, then waking up again into something else I can't remember, then actually waking up. poo poo felt like it went on forever and it was loving miserable.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

How about when dreams bleed into reality on waking?
I dreamed I was in some sort of running race and started running on all fours, digging my fingertips into the ground for extra speed (dream logic?), I woke up suddenly in the middle of it and I swear for a second, my fingertips were aching in pain from this.

See my post above for a horrifying example of that.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I used to nod off during lectures, but I'd be forcing myself to stay awake, so I ended up with some weird waking dream type nonsense, the most extreme of which was a women made of fire walking behind the lecturer.

Looking through my notes, I can see places were my hand writing went from legible words to scribbles to a line.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
A few years ago I was falling asleep while studying for an immunology exam, but didn't realize this until in the middle of a paragraph on T-cell activation I read the sentence, "How unexpected that the water bears would neglect the water city."

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I haven't had a nightmare in a long time, because I keep cockblocking them by changing the dream just as poo poo is about to go down. I cannot force myself to lucid dream at all, but there have been multiple times where I've been having a dream that was bordering on a nightmare only to stop and just decide to do something else.
The one I remember most recently was a dream where I was involved in an apocalypse survival team, with implied zombies being something we had to avoid. The people I was with were all people I love and care about very much, and I could feel the foreboding that some of them would die. So we went out on our little excursion for food or something, and lo and behold a horde of zombies come racing up on us, faster than we can run. We're just about to be caught when all of a sudden my dream self said "hang on, zombies can't run this fast. we should be outpacing these guys." and we all shot off away from the zombies who became really sluggish. Every time a team member was about to be seriously hurt or die, my dream self would argue against what was happening (buildings that looked sturdy initially that started falling were mocked for being such a contrived threat, someone who was bitten got magically healed by the medpacks we had) and eventually it graduated to my dream self just flat out refusing to allow the bad things to happen. All the way through, I was very much aware that it wasn't me that was doing this, but the "me" I was acting as. Eventually, I had this feeling of "loving fine then, do what you want" and the dream changed to something unremarkable.

Good to know my subconscious is so insufferable it aggravates itself.

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

Had a dream a few days ago I was walking with a guy I used to work with in some huge city. We were crossing an intersection and he said "I'm doing okay, I'm bootlegging" then he got hit by a car... He grew like super mario, then he got hit by a crap load of cars until he blocked the whole intersection.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had a dream Mother Goose was flying around on a giant cannon, threatening to blast us bastard children to kingdom come if we didn't take a nap by the time she counted to a thousand. The ground, mountains, trees and sky had this weird quilt pattern, as though I was inside some weird blanket fort.

Then I was in a similar looking place that appeared to be a miniature golf course. Each person was assigned a particular geometric shape and had to crawl in a similarly shaped hole- kind of like mystery of amigira fault except this dream happened decades before I read the story. The holes were triangle, square, Star shaped, etc and the hole I had to crawl through kept going on for ages as I felt progressively more claustrophobic until I woke up.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
One of the earliest nightmares I remember having was finding a goose in my basement by the laundry machines. I went to pet the goose, but it opens its beak and another beak comes out xenomorph style and bites my finger. I woke up in a cold sweat and had a very strong fear of geese for a some time afterwards.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
The really memorable dreams for me lately involve a bunch of flying/floating accompanied by endless, horrible spinning. I don't get a sense of dizziness from it as I would within ten seconds while awake, but I'm always grabbing onto walls/objects to stop myself from constantly turning in the same direction. I tend to always dream about people I know so it's very difficult for me to navigate between floating/spinning and not being a dick to my friends and family.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a dream where on the talk show Conan they had an animal guest that was a giant snake. And the the giant snake's head rotted off and it vomited snake children from the newly revealed neck hole while Andy Rickter was holding the snakehead up in the air laughing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I've had the dream bleeding into reality thing happen a couple times, seems to happen more often if I take melatonin before bed. Most recently I had a dream I was back in junior high English class, sitting at my desk in nothing but my boxers and a blanket wrapped around me. I was answering a question the teacher asked and slowly started to wake up, eventually realizing I was sitting up in my bed, wrapped in a blanket and talking to my piled-up clothes hamper. :shrug:

I've had some odd dreams about airports and elevators lately too - mostly the elevator ones being that I'm either stuck inside between floors, sometimes the doors open and the elevator won't stop, or it'll start to fall rapidly and I wake up just before hitting the bottom. Another where I was at an airport, getting boarded on a flight (can't remember where it was going). In this case the plane was ready, we started to taxi on the runway, but somehow the pilot didn't get enough speed for liftoff and we got maybe a couple hundred feet up before banking and slamming into some trees. Freaks me out because a lot of these dreams are weirdly realistic and make my heart pound.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Davinci posted:

One of the earliest nightmares I remember having was finding a goose in my basement by the laundry machines. I went to pet the goose, but it opens its beak and another beak comes out xenomorph style and bites my finger. I woke up in a cold sweat and had a very strong fear of geese for a some time afterwards.

Speaking of xenomorphs, I had a dream when I was about 5 where Grover from Sesame Street crawled down a wall like a xenomorph, lept at me, and swallowed me whole. I had a phobia of him for like 10 years after that for some reason.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Davinci posted:

I went to pet the goose, but it opens its beak and another beak comes out xenomorph style and bites my finger.
For some reason I can't stop giggling at this. :allears:

I had a nightmare a couple years back that really stuck with me. For one reason or another, I had to go through a sewer - I think I was trying to reach someplace on the other end of the tunnels? Anyway, there was some kind of poison gas in the sewer, and because of this, I had to wear a hazmat suit. The gas was everywhere, hanging there in a greenish-yellow haze, and even though I had a lantern, I could only see a few feet in front of me.

I was deep in the sewer when I entered a wide chamber, and inside I saw a woman's corpse. I knew I was seeing a victim of the gas, and I was thankful for my hazmat suit, knowing I was safe. At least, I thought I was, until the corpse stood up. It was rotting, falling apart, one eye missing and the skin sloughing off. I turned and ran, but the corpse tackled me from behind and threw me to the ground, grabbing my leg... and then it just started screaming. I was trying to yank my leg free, beating the corpse with my lantern, but nothing could loosen its grip. It never stopped screaming.

I woke up in the middle of the night. Took me a good while to get back to sleep after that one.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Well, had one last night.

I decided to go all edgy atheist and go on a rant and give everyone the finger in some sort of church session I was forced to go to. So somehow I "wake up" in a really, really high-end hotel room, except I'm locked in and can't get out, and there's nothing to do except lay in a really comfy bed. My mom's locked me in there (permanently) because I'm a filthy atheist. Then I "wake up" several times to the same room, but with different monochrome color schemes each time. I think when I was first in there it was red, then it ended up being orange, blue, and purple in some order.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I had a weird dream after playing the House of Horror level in Viscera Cleanup Detail. I had just finished cleaning up some bodies when Michael Myers appeared and started chasing me. I panicked and was running backwards because I had one of those hazardous waste boxes full of gibs and I didn't want them to spill out. He caught up to me, but instead of killing me he slam dunked a head into the box and sent the contents flying everywhere which wasted all my hard work. gently caress you, Michael!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
After a while without remembering dreams today I had an interesting one:

I was at some kind of party or social event with my dad and as time went on things got weirder. I remember being near a group of people that were watching something on a stand and then I saw poorly-drawn Sonic characters there, but it looked like they were placed there through video editing. They didn't look real. I then recall suddenly opening my mouth and started tasting (not chewing exactly) the hair of a couple of women. It tasted kinda salty. They were horrified. At some point my vision started to get dimmer and flickering with strange black lines like some kind of horror movie, and I remember being really scared and hugging my dad and asking for help, but while he was talking to me, he would suddenly change and be wearing some kind of protection equipment clothing, and he would still try to comfort me, but it felt like he was more emotionally detached from me. He would flicker between the normal version and the protection-equipment one.

I then saw a small gray alien while my vision was going all nuts with the horror filter stuff, and he said that I was destined to be taken by them. Suddenly, I found myself at my house's backyard at night, and I saw two ufos in the distance; one was coming towards me and the other was pretty far away. I realized that I could choose between being taken by them or not, but I took too long to decide and the ufo came over me and they grabbed and pulled me with a blue light.

All I remember next was being at some kind of area with red-colored earth, with a lot of people walking around, especially kids. It looked like a small colony on another planet. I then saw Neo from the Matrix movies, but he was a kid (Imagine Neo with the trench coat and sunglasses except that he is a kid now). I don't remember interacting with them or even if I was Neo and seeing things from a third-person perspective, but I recall that Neo and some other kids went to some building there, and an alien asked Neo to gather some red dirt for him. Later he asked him to arrange some small red balls in a similar way as to how the solar system they were in was organized. Neo did that and then I woke up.

Good dream imo

• Locked thread