Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm about 25% into episode 4 and I genuinely hope that everyone involved in this county's legal system gets the guillotine someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pinky Artichoke posted:

You know what, because of my mom's work (not an attorney, but she did have to go to court on occasion) I grew up with a lot of the circa-1985 Manitowoc County legal establishment as household names, usually in the context of doing right for a vulnerable person. One Manitowoc lawyer in particular (not involved in these cases) made a huge impression on me as a kid because of how passionate he was about using the law to protect vulnerable individuals, and how well he articulated that even to a kid. It's extremely hard for me to reconcile all that with the "kill them all" anger towards the entire county establishment that this documentary has stirred up in strangers.

Another thing about smaller, comparatively poor counties like this is that they're kind of the end of the line. If you're an ambitious young LEO or lawyer, do you want to practice in a small community with little money and few career-building cases? Uh, no. You either end up there because you have ties in the community and are willing to sacrifice to be there, because you need a job until something better comes along, or because you're just too bad at your job to hack it elsewhere. It's the same story with teachers, doctors, social workers, etc. I think that kind of "incompetence falls to the level that has no choice but to tolerate it" explains a lot more about some of the actors in this story than anything else.

Yeah that's probably a little extreme. I'm sure there are plenty of genuinely good people in that court system but goddamn are there a bunch of evil motherfuckers in this documentary. I'd gladly kick the chair out from under Len Kachinsky. His smug loving face makes my blood boil.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

(especially when you consider the kind of rural area it is, where something a city block away can take you an hour to get to).

Huh? Maybe I'm from a different type of rural area but in my experience traveling anywhere in the country is quite literally 10x faster than going the same distance through even light traffic in a city. With no stoplights, other cars, or cops to worry about you can get around extremely quickly. Like unless they're in the middle of a huge swamp with no roads there's no way it's gonna take an hour to move a city block unless you're dragging a body around by its legs or something.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The part in episode 10 where Kachinsky's investigator is reading off their old correspondence about the Averys being pure evil and that they need to destroy their family is the most :wtc: I have ever seen in my life. I've heard of overzealous evil prosecutors before but Dassey's defense takes the loving cake a by a mile.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Frankly it'd be way worse for him if he got up on the stand and seemed intelligent and confident. You can't really say "this kid's dumber than dirt and you can get him to say whatever you want if you prod him the right way" and then have him give an eloquent speech about how he was tricked, it would just make him look like an obvious liar.

He did about as well as he could, he still seemed like the borderline retard that he is without totally collapsing under pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Was it ever explained why they seemed really reluctant to go after Allen even though he was being actively monitored at all times for being a crazy sex maniac? Like is he some well connected person's family member or something?

• Locked thread