Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Man gently caress Ken Kratz and gently caress theresa's brother jesus christ

This, plus all cops and prosecutors. But that brother angered me more than anyone else. His smug loving face makes me want to artisanally drown him in my piss.

Seriously, why even spend all that money on a mock trial? Whenever a crime happens, why can't you just have one fat retarded slob of a cop point to a random name in a phone book and then put that person away for life? Saves millions and the result is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011
It's nice to see that cops all over the US are using the exact same methods when they are coercing mentally challenged people and/or children. They did the same thing to the West Memphis Three, they focussed on the retarded kid and forced a confession out of him, then used that to convict the others.

Take a look at the WM3 (Arkansas, 1994), Murder on a Sunday Morning (Florida, 2000), Central Park Five (NYC, 1989), and Capturing the Friedmans (NY, 1987). Cops interrogate children without their parents present, sometimes for HOURS, and promise them that everything will be OK and they can go home if they just "confess". This isn't an anomaly in a small, corrupt rust belt Sheriff's office, it seems to be the national law enforcement norm.

It's baffling that cops still don't understand that they're doing a bad thing. Every LEO interviewed in the above documentaries is so smug and confident, even when the "criminals" have been completely exonerated.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Grem posted:

Yea, Avery is a turd who threw a cat on a fire, and pulled his dong and a gun on his cousins. His saintly act of "not raping a lady one time" doesn't swerve him off a path to murder. The last couple episodes really revealed that Avery thought he wouldn't get caught again. He tried a clean up as much if not more than PD That was after him. The two kids tearfully recasting their statements read more to me like they know their story os right but can't speak of it or the entire family will fall apart. So they try a last minute recant hail marry and it fails.

"Recant"? Did you not see how the "interrogations" of these mentally subnormal children took place? They had no idea what they were saying, and the piece of poo poo cops threw them under the bus out of incompetence and laziness. All their initial statements said nothing of burning toes, it wasn't until Riegert and Fassbender flat out TOLD them what to say that they "remembered" the "truth".

After three hours of cajoling, Brendan is coerced into making up a horrifying fairy tale, because he thinks that'll get him out of there. After he "confessed" to a rape/murder that exactly ZERO physical evidence supports (no chains, ropes, blood, or hair in the bedroom or anywhere inside the trailer), he thinks he'll get to go back to school for his project report, and those two sadistic cunts just string him along. This is exactly how the cops forced kids to "confess" to crimes they didn't commit in all the other documentaries I mentioned.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

And as stated previously by another poster, the conspiracy could be as small as one man (Lenk) or may only involve one or two other people. This didn't have to be some huge cabal.

Exactly! And don't forget that this is exactly what happened to OJ Simpson, which is mentioned in passing in this documentary. One lazy racist piece of poo poo cop planted blood on his clothes to frame him. The blood had been taken from a lab sample and had EDTA in it. It's not like this hasn't happened before.

If there was a conspiracy to frame Steven, you'd only need Lenk and Colburn to be in on it. Colburn made that really weird call to dispatch about Teresa's plates. They found the key and the magic bullet, which no other cop could find. Both had a lot to lose from the lawsuit.

When the defense put the Calumet cops on the stand, I understood that there was no need for a larger conspiracy. They looked like Brendan's intellectual peers. Even if they did their best, how could one of them keep watch over two bent cops planting tiny objects? And remember when they "found" the key? Lenk and Colburn said "we immediately knew this was the smoking gun, so we didn't want to taint the evidence" or something similar. They saw a car key in a junk yard with thousands of cars, and knew that this car key was relevant?

I'm not saying Steven is innocent, but that the entire case against him is horribly prosecuted. If we believe Brendan's "confession", they stabbed her, cut her hair, slit her throat, carried her (living and bleeding) through the trailer to the garage, shot her eleven times there, and then burned her. Without a single microscopic speck of blood or hair ending up at any of those places. Murderers with an IQ well above 70 have tried to clean tiled bathrooms of blood, and failed. Here, we have two literal retards who somehow have Dexter-ish abilities to fool the CSI. But they also missed the huge smears of her blood in her car. Which they put her in. Because....why? Why did they put her in the car?

Why didn't they crush the car in the crusher, or smelt it in the smelter? Why did they place it so close to the entrance that it was found by that moronic jesus freak after less than 30 minutes of stumbling around randomly? Why not at least clean it? Why remove the key and disable the car (battery terminals were removed). Did he plan to keep this massively incriminating piece of evidence there forever, while at the same time burning everything else?

I think someone else suggested this theory or part of it somewhere, but one reasonable explanation for Colburn's license plate check could have been this:
1. Teresa is murdered by Steven. Her car is placed at the yard, possibly awaiting destruction.
2. Teresa is reported missing, Colburn and Lenk sets out to either find evidence or "find evidence".
3. Colburn sneaks onto the yard, finds her car, calls in the plates, gets confirmation ("99 Toyota?").
4. They don't have a search warrant, so they can't report it, as it would be inadmissible. They also know it would look bad if they were the ones who found the car.
5. (possible, but not necessary) They take Avery's blood from the evidence locker and drip it inside the car, to tie him to it with DNA.
6. They collude with the awful brother and ex-boyfriend (who got special permission to move through cordoned-off areas for some reason).
7. Brother and ex are either told flat out where to look or gently steered there. They could have been shown exactly where the car is, which explains their ultra weird stuttering when asked if they had been to the junk yard before, and why they sent someone else there to insulate themselves from the shenanigans.
8. Lenk and Colburn can't place evidence inside the trailer due to the decision to put Calumet in charge, which is why the key and the bullet is only "discovered" as they gain access to it far later. Outside the trailer, however, is an abundance of evidence. Lenk and Colburn also don't know that there will be a need for DNA evidence inside the trailer, as they have no control over what Riegert makes Brendan say. If Lenk and Colburn forced a confession out of him, they could have steered him away from the indoors blood-letting, and placed the rape and murder outside instead. As Riegert isn't in on the frame job, he honestly thinks he's doing a great job.

You could modify step 1 if you like, and the rest will still hold up. For example:
1. Scott Tadych (possibly aided by Bobby) stops Teresa as she's driving away, rapekills her, puts her in the trunk of her own car (explains her blood in the car), drives to the quarry and burns her, then puts the car on the lot to frame Steven, and puts the charred bones in the pit. Scott and Bobby alibi each other. This fits with Scott's glee over Steven's conviction.
or
1. Lenk pulls Teresa over, kills her, puts body in trunk, burns her at the quarry, plants everything at the yard. Colburn is unaware of this.
or
1. A drifter* kills Teresa. Lenk finds her, puts body in trunk, burns her at the quarry, plants everything at the yard. Colburn is unaware of this.
or
1. Aliens incinerate Teresa with ray guns. Lenk is also an alien. Etc etc.

*Ya, I still think it was a drifter! Leave Avery alone, he's been through a lot dontyaknow.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

As shady as the cops are, I really don't see them killing someone to do this. It wouldn't fit with the license plate call either.

It fits if she was alive when he called it in. Like, he saw her in her car at a stoplight or wherever, called it in to see if it was her, followed her to a remote area and pulled her over. Not saying I believe that's what actually happened, but it possible. When the defense played that call in court, he looked crestfallen.

We also don't know if she died immediately after seeing Avery, or even the same day. She could have gone on a bender, met her secret lover, worked the night shift at a strip club two towns over and so on. Remember that there seems to have been some activity with her cell phone after she was (according to the Kratz timeline) dead and her phone burned.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyway, if you liked that then watch this. Was mentioned in the thread earlier, but it's very good (made in 2000 and fairly low budget, but fits in with this spate of 'true crazy crimes you've never heard of' documentaries we're getting).

Murder on a Sunday Morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWwf-uHrCIA
I really recommend this to everyone in this thread. It's the same, but different. In MoaSM the cops didn't pin the crime on their nemesis, they just literally arrested the first young black man they saw. Like literally-literally. They drove down the street until they saw someone black, and arrested him. Same interrogation technique though.

MrCodeDude posted:

Way to focus on an incredibly small detail in the much greater story.

Turn it back on, get through 3 episodes, and see if your opinion changes.

Didn't the police/prosecution say she was shot 11 times?

Since she was burned, they could only infer based off the bullet wounds off the remaining bone fragments. Were there really 11 in-tact bone fragments which showed bullet wounds?

Yes, animal lovers are retarded. I saw a documentary about a guy called Hitler or something, and it said that he was a struggling homeless artist and decorated war veteran who really loved dogs. I stopped watching there, two minutes into a ten-part series, as I had received all information I needed to judge his character. I wish I could time travel back to 1920 to shake the hand of this great man. Wonder what happened to him?

On topic: The skull fragments had one or two possible bullet holes (entry/exit?). The cops found 11 empty shell casings on the floor of the garage, so they forced Brendan to confess that she was shot 11 times. Again, 11 shell casings on the immaculately cleaned floor with no trace of the DNA of a woman who had been shot 11 times with a RIFLE on that floor. "There, the floor and my forty broken lawn mowers are immaculately clean! Now I just have to put all the shell casings and that bullet back on the floor."

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Chrtrptnt posted:

Someone brought up the blood in the car but no fingerprints, a cloth or leather glove wouldn't leave fingerprints but could soak up enough blood to leave it on surfaces. Likewise, a surgical glove could be torn, or cut while a person is wearing it and get blood all over it. So I can see how that could happen and I don't find it hard to believe that the Averys have work gloves or mechanics rubber/latex gloves laying around a junkyard.
It appears from the photos shown the Avery blood in the car were not smears that you would typically associate with a blood-soaked glove, but free-falling drops. (This is just my own interpretation, I am in no way a blood spatter expert.)
If he wore gloves he wouldn't have cut his finger as easily.
If he wore gloves for the purpose of not leaving evidence inside the car, and cut his finger so badly it went through the glove (i.e. not just a scrape he wasn't aware of), wouldn't he have noticed he was bleeding and done something about it?
Also, if he killed Teresa, he would have known HER blood was all over the back of the car. So why hide the car on his property at all? Even without his fingerprints, it's massively incriminating.
He left blood around the ignition switch, but not on the key which he held in his bleeding hand? The DNA on the key wasn't blood, but some other type of DNA. If he bled through the glove enough to leave drops there, the fabric strap of the key would probably have at least some blood on it. He could have cleaned it with his super-CSI skillz, but why keep it at all then? He was apparently not going to drive it (removed battery terminals). Why not leave it in the car? The problem I have with the DA's storyline thing is that it requires Avery to constantly flip between being a Dexter crime scene clean-up genius and a guy who plants evidence on himself (keeps the car and the key, cleans up the garage floor but then puts the casings and bullet fragment back).

Chrtrptnt posted:

Would a backyard burn pit get hot enough to destroy that much of a body? This isn't a conspiracy type question, just an honest one. Crematory ovens are purpose built and still take several hours to get a body to ash.
You can burn a body with just wood as fuel, it's still a fairly common cremation practice in parts of Asia. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyre) You stack the wood like a log cabin, so you maximize the oxygen passing through and the surfaces exposed to fire. (Basically you do the opposite of the charcoal making process, where you minimize the temperature by restricting the flow of oxygen.) A pit is a much worse place to burn something for that very reason, but with the right fuel and lots of time you can definitely burn a corpse. Their fire pit seemed on the smaller side, but according to the DA, they had burned tires there. You'd need to tend to the pyre for several hours though, and it needs to be a roaring fire the entire time, otherwise you're just barbecuing the corpse.

Chrtrptnt posted:

I also don't understand completely the vial of blood as being potentially tampered with. Those types of blood vials are filled through the top via needle, so a needle hole doesn't automatically mean that it was used to steal blood for planting evidence.
I'm not sure about this, my only knowledge comes from having been anaemic for years and having had a lot of blood drawn by phlebotomists. After drawing the blood, the phlebotomist places the vial on a mechanical device that gently rolls it back and forth, to mix the blood with the EDTA which is already present in the tubes with purple tops. (The colour of the top determines what's going to happen to the blood and which agents are in the tube. Purple is sort of general when testing for drugs, diseases and deficiencies AFAIK. Other colours are for blood gas analysis etc.) If the tube had just a rubber top with a fairly large hole in it, I imagine blood could leak out and outside stuff could get in, which would be bad for a number of reasons.

The hole in the tube in itself wasn't the biggest problem, it was the fact that the evidence seal on the styrofoam box had been broken and then shoddily resealed with scotch tape.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

MrBuddyLee posted:

the most likely explanation is that teresa's blood seeped into the bullet's crater on the garage floor and the bleaching didn't fully sterilize the cratered bullet.
You can also argue that the police planted it. I don't think you can make a reasonable argument that Teresa's DNA in the lab test tube came from contamination.
Most likely? That would require the garage floor to be covered with her blood, and not a trace of it was found there. And also that during the meticulous cleaning of the floor, the culprits didn't remove the bullet or the eleven casings. You can make a very reasonable argument that the lab unknowingly contaminated the test tube. During the OJ trial it was revealed that the LAPD crime lab was so shoddily set up that different samples contaminated each other on a regular basis.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Since there was no EDTA in the RAV4 Avery blood smears
No, there was no EDTA detected in the RAV4 Avery blood smears. In the tests performed by the FBI, who have confessed to faking tests to bolster prosecution cases.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Why no Avery fingerprints in the car? He wore gloves according to Brendan, but the process of putting gloves on in the dark with a bloody finger would almost definitely result in Avery's blood on the outside of the gloves. Which would transfer from the outside of the gloves to the interior of the car.
Except that this would result in smears on every area he touched, not drops on the door frame.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Why didn't Avery crush the car? Because he realized that would implicate a family member if the car was later found, and he told Brendan that burning the body was a better solution.
OK, this is getting crazy. How would an intact and easily detected car found on his lot be any less damaging than a crushed and easily hidden car? Why would he think that burning the body would remove the evidence in the car?

MrBuddyLee posted:

You have a reasonable explanation for how Avery's blood is all over the inside of Teresa's car? If not, that's enough evidence to convict right there.
Yes, the CLEARLY tampered with blood vial. You seem to gloss over this. The evidence seal was broken and the top was punctured. Who did this and why?

MrBuddyLee posted:

Just because some details don't match up or some of the techniques were leading doesn't mean you disregard the entirety of both interviews.
Yes, it does. He is a retarded child who was interrogated for hours without counsel or a parent present, and definitely didn't understand his Miranda rights (if he was Mirandaized at all). None of his interrogations should be admissible in court just based on that. Add to this that the evil, incompetent rear end in a top hat cops did exactly what cops seem to be doing all the time. They seek out a vulnerable or retarded child, lie about their rights, interrogate them for hours without legal representation ("oh no, this is just a questioning, not an interrogation, why would you need a lawyer, only guilty people need lawyers"), and tell them they can go home when they "tell the truth" or "cooperate". Watch "Murder on a Sunday Morning" or any of the uplifting documentaries on the West Memphis Three or Central Park Five for more of this. The police interrogation techniques aren't designed to get people to tell the truth, they're specifically designed to extract confessions regardless of guilt.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Brendan brought up rape first.
There is zero evidence of rape

MrBuddyLee posted:

I believe he brought up stabbing first.
Not only is there zero evidence of stabbing, the lack of blood anywhere in Avery's trailer completely contradicts the stabbing story.

MrBuddyLee posted:

The kid was too accurate, and wasn't led into EVERY fact.
But his testimony is the only "evidence" of any of this happening. How can you not see this? Riegert and Fassbender let him free-form improvise until he stumbles upon or is forced to say what they wanted him to say, and then just accepted everything else as facts. He was definitely lead into the headshot confession, in a scene that would have made me laugh if it was in a comedy. Did you miss this? They start with "tell us what he did to her head", and Brendan starts with "duuh, he cut her hair?" Then they ask "where did he shoot her?" over and over, but Brendan doesn't get the hint (duuh, her legs?). It ends with Riegert exasperatedly throwing his hands in the air and shouting "THE HEAD, HE SHOT HER IN THE HEAD!"

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

MrBuddyLee posted:

The hole in the top was supposedly from the initial blood draw of Avery.
And the broken evidence seal? Where was that from?

MrBuddyLee posted:

The bullet was embedded. Scrubbing with bleach wouldn't have touched anything on the underside of the bullet, pooled blood or blood from passing through Teresa's body.
It most certainly wasn't embedded, now you're just making poo poo up. It was found ON the floor, under a compressor tank. It was a .22LR, which typically wouldn't penetrate concrete, and especially not at an angle after passing through a body. It wasn't there during the first eleventy searches. It wasn't found until Colborn and Lenk entered the garage MONTHS LATER, when it was suddenly found in plain sight. If SA/BD had scrubbed the floor to remove even the tiniest bloodstains, wouldn't they have SEEN the bullet?

MrBuddyLee posted:

There's no point in arguing with you if you're going to discount all FBI test results.
And there were six smears of Avery's blood in the car, three of which were tested and had no EDTA. The vial sample (which was years older) was also tested and showed positive for EDTA. The 6 smears in the car came directly from Steven Avery's body, not from a preserved vial, meaning he was in her car bleeding. Do you have an explanation for that?
What would it take for you to distrust the FBI? Fourteen innocent persons dead due to their systematic lying and incompetence?
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ngerprints.html

MrBuddyLee posted:

Guess you didn't read the interview transcripts. He was Mirandized, and all this happened with full parental consent. It wasn't a perfect interview, far from it, but it's legit to question a dumb kid when he claims to have been at a murder scene the night of a murder.
They didn't loving "question" him, they forced a retard to confess to a murder he clearly didn't commit. I can't understand how anyone can be OK with this. Miranda rights isn't a Harry Potter spell that has to be rattled off by cops, they have to be understood by the suspect (which is why cops have them printed in Spanish in case suspects don't speak English). It is obvious that a retarded child can't consent to things he does not understand. He literally thought he could go home after "confessing" to a rapemurder. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE COPS TOLD HIM. "Tell us what we want to hear and you can go home" is the opposite of Miranda rights.

"Full parental consent"? The rear end in a top hat cops deliberately kept Barb away from him. You heard this. You heard them be annoyed by a mother trying to help her retarded child, as her presence would interfere with their framing him for a crime he didn't commit. Please, please, please watch the cops forcing confessions from the completely innocent Central Park Five in the exact same way. Cops lie constantly to get the results they want. CP5 is even more baffling, as the five different suspects are told to blame each other, so every confession contradicts the next one. And they still went to jail.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Yeah, that was lovely interviewing. There were several examples of that, but there were plenty of examples of Brendan initiating new info that was corroborated by physical evidence.
LIKE WHAT? It sure as gently caress isn't this:

MrBuddyLee posted:

One stab in the gut, which Brendan said leaked a little on the sheets and blankets. One slash of the throat, which missed any significant arteries and thus caused no spatter. Teresa was fully alive and struggling after the stab and slash, according to Brendan, had to be tied by legs and arms to her sides, and she was still able to beg for her life while being carried out of the trailer by both of them. Brendan said they later burned her clothes and the sheets and blankets to get rid of the blood evidence.
NONE of this is corroborated by the evidence! It is completely useless. Absence of evidence is certainly not evidence of absence, but you (and Riegert) take the absence of evidence as evidence of a crime. If the first thing he said was "Steven shot her in the head outside and burned her immediately", we wouldn't be talking about rape and stabbings right now, and there wouldn't be a bullet in the garage.

This is circular reasoning at its best. "Brendan said she was stabbed, so she was stabbed. Now we've established she was stabbed, how could he know that if he wasn't the killer?" It's like the bible fallacy: "God exists, because the bible says so. The bible is true because it's the word of god." Without external confirmation of either the existence of god or the veracity of the bible, this reasoning is pointless. Except in Wisconsin, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

MrBuddyLee posted:

Where are you getting your info? The trial transcripts show that a bullet fragment, I believe the one with DNA on it, was found in a crack in the concrete of the garage.
WHAT? The trial transcripts show the prosecution overstating their case???! Well I never!

This is the flattened .22 on the floor. According to the crime scene pictures in the documentary, it was found under a compressor tank. It is not a fragment, nor is it embedded, nor in a crack.

I would also question how they could match it to a specific rifle, the striations can't be of much use if it's that flattened.

e;

MrBuddyLee posted:

* The cops made some mistakes when interviewing Brendan
*John Wilkes Booth made some mistakes whilst discussing politics with Lincoln.

Kampfbereit fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread