Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
/\
It isn't really relevant to how the police hosed him over repeatedly.

This is blowing up on my FB, and seeing idiots write how they haven't seen this yet but know he's guilty makes me fume. One guy said his dad worked at the Milwaukee Crime lab, so he already "seen" all the evidence. When was Milwaukee processing any evidence? For the record, I live in Wisconsin, so everyone's an expert.

How can detectives feel good about coaching a borderline mentally retarded boy to confess?

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I don't care how slanted the documentary is, the footage of the interrogations and the court proceedings should make any reasonable person think that he and his nephew deserve new trials. The whole situation was a huge miscarriage of justice.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you click my quote you'll see I go on to say that, but let's not use the documentary as historical reference as to the guys character.

Who said anything about Avery's character?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Kelly posted:

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. The mental gymnastics some of you are performing to convince yourself that the Avery's aren't involved is going to cause a stroke.

One of them did it. Maybe not Steve, but one of them. They are a family of criminals.
You are basing this off of what? Their reputation? We have no idea who could have done it since the police literally investigated NOBODY other than Avery family members.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

computer parts posted:

It's not even really clear they investigated the other Averys.

Regardless of what actually happened, the police hosed up and no one should be imprisoned because of this investigation.
Well, I mean Brendan. The lack of DNA at the supposed crime scenes is a pretty huge thing to ignore, especially when the lab tech contaminated her sample by talking. That just shows how easy DNA is spread around.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

But again, there are two very basic facts that have never been in dispute. Theresa DID meet with Steven that day and disappeared shortly after.
This isn't at all damning though?

Cochrane looked extremely nervous when they played the recording of him calling in the plate, and clumsily tried to say the dispatcher told him it was a Rav 4. Avery may have done it, but it seems more likely that the cops who had a huge motive to frame him, did in fact plant evidence.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Did anyone find out who was calling Theresa prior to her disappearance? That detail stuck with me. I figured if they (the defense) could show the court her cellphone message records, and when certain messages were deleted, it would be easy to pinpoint the number that kept calling her, but I don't remember this being answered in the doc.
The judge ruled that the defense couldn't point to any other possible suspects, which makes no sense to me.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
A bunch of shaky and questionable evidence doesn't add up to solid evidence. It's scary that you could be a juror.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

MrBuddyLee posted:

The garage/concrete wasn't part of the media narrative at the time. She would have had to invent a story that matched facts not publicly available.
The idea that the garage/concrete "evidence" is legit doesn't sit well with me. It doesn't add up at all, so I'm not sure why you aren't taking it with a giant grain of salt.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I don't understand why Dassey was denied his appeals for a new trial over and over. There's no wiggle room there; he was completely hosed and coerced. I guess the justice system doesn't like admitting mistakes?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Except all of the "evidence" that he did it that was omitted is highly questionable.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

"yronic heroism" posted:

It would be ridiculous not to consider it when weighing the odds of guilt or innocence.
Holy poo poo, please don't ever show up on a jury. You've went off the rails completely in this thread and are making all sorts of horrible assumptions

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
You've been making up details to fill in gaps. That's not what a juror should do.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

You are assuming an exit wound of a person standing up with a bullet exiting horizontally rather than lying prone with the bullet on a more or less downward path.

So gravity causes .22 shots to go through the body? What are you even saying here?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Generally doesn't exit =/= no .22 bullet will ever exit. And we are dealing with multiple shots, only one of which was apparently found.
I can't believe that you're buying the prosecution's story hook, line, and sinker. First off, there's zero evidence of multiple shots, and secondly, having empty shells in a garage proves absolutely nothing. Be honest, you are Ken Krantz, aren't you?

You're so tied up in circular reasoning that you can't escape.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^^
They had said that he had sighted his guns in there. I'm not sure how big or long the garage is, so they mayve have have done it outside. Either way, empty shells being on a garage floor isn't suspicious in itself seeing as the gun was fired on a regular basis.

yronic heroism posted:

Evidence you characterize as weak =/= "zero evidence".
What evidence is there for her being shot multiple times?

What line of work are you in? It seems like you're reading into this case with a clear bias. (I was joking about you being Ken Krantz, ya dope!)

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 25, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

What reason did the cousin have to lie to her school counselor? None.

What reason did she have to lie when she changed her story in court? Every reason.

Come the gently caress on. It's Occam's razor.
She testified under oath that it wasn't true. Are you suggesting she was perjuring herself there?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, a young and dumb girl would never make something up for attention, not a chance.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
So how do you rationalize Lenk calling in the plates 3 days before the car was found?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I meant Colburn, sorry. What about him lying about when he got to the property? I don't see how you can handwave their lies and still think their other "evidence" is legit.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Specifically when does he lie? transcript? Or place in the episode I can check?
I don't remember which episode, but the logs proved him wrong and he tried to sneak his name between two other names. Do you honestly not remember that part?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

But that was at the car, right? Doesn't really explain the body and if you accept that he's planting blood at the scene it means he didn't plant it earlier and drive the car into the property, so the "calling the car in" theory is crap.
Holy poo poo does your "logic" jump around. You just made a bunch of assumptions based on me asking you how you rationalize the cops lying. That's it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^
He lied about when he got to the property

yronic heroism posted:

I don't know the day they found it, but if they had found it right away you could easily say they knew right where to look because they planted it. Doesn't really convince me one way or the other.
What is your background? You are clearly approaching this with a serious bias.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 26, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I'm not sure how anybody could hear the authorities talking about cutting down the Avery family tree at the trunk and still feel that they did their jobs impartially.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

^^I think you are a little confused. If you're arguing he wanted to do something after dark, you're saying he showed up at 6? You mean like he said?
Are you playing a long con on all of us by pretending to be stupid? Yeah, a cop getting caught in a blatant lie is no big deal and in no way undermines the entire investigation, right?

Edit: again, what is your profession? There's a huge bias in your approach to this and I think your refusal to answer what you do means that you know your occupation will reveal why you're biased.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 27, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

How was he coerced?

Just a reminder that you literally wrote this about Dassey's confession. You don't see how someone telling him exactly what to say and what pictures to draw could be construed as coercion.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Coercion absolutely can be using power to get what you want, and the cops had that and did that. Sorry you don't know what coercion means.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Why are you quoting yourself? Are you under the delusion that people are taking your posts seriously?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

AIt's very possible to believe a view different things at once: 1. Possibly some stuff was planted. 2. Definitely they did a poor job investigating by not foreclosing on the easiest arguments that stuff was planted. 3. He still did it based off of everything.
I think what you're failing to understand is that most people feel that you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater if you feel anything was planted.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Absolutely, planted evidence should be suppressed but it's not enough to say maybe it was planted. They have to show it happened. (Also, incidentally, the planted bullet theory really makes no sense if you think the cops are corrupt because why not plant it the first time?)

If you mean one corrupt cop doing anything bad means no one can be convicted even without the planted evidence, yeah, I disagree with that.
Again, tampered evidence throws the entire investigation into doubt. I'm not sure why you can't grasp this. What is your thought on the key magically appearing and being found by a cop who wasn't supposed to be there?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
You honestly think it's unlikely that key was planted? You think the cops are that inept at doing a search?

:psyduck:

Also, you're really foolish to lend credence to Dassey's statements.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
You really don't understand why the key being planted is the most likely scenario? The room was searched over and over, and the nightstand was photographed and shown to be completely empty. The cop who "found" it had a motive to put it there, and he wasn't supposed to have been there.

Why wouldn't Theresa's DNA be on the key?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Khorre posted:

It was definitely the valet key, as the normal keys for a 99 RAV4 have a different grip shape. The lanyard that key attached to was in the car, so it wouldn't have been hard to take it out of the car, at all.

So you're saying it was the valet key just based on THAT? Maybe she had a spare made and used that as her main key?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Khorre posted:

http://hellogiggles.com/teresa-halbach-keys/

here is a picture of Teresa Halbach holding on to a bunch of keys, (house, etc). All of those are missing. It seems unlikely that she started using a single key, and didn't carry a house key or any of those others anymore.
That is really strange. Makes the planting story more likely, as the cops could have easily gotten the valet key from the vethicle.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
So why was a citizen on Avery's property searching for the car? I don't remember.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Shouldn't only the owner of the property be allowed to consent? My dad was pulled over in the 70s with a poo poo ton of weed that the cops found when searching the car, but it was his sister's car. They called her after the fact and asked for permission and she denied them permission. He got off scot free, although they took the weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Not exactly. If the cops are at your door and somebody at your party lets them in, I'm pretty sure you're screwed even though it isn't their house.

In fact I kinda doubt your story, not that you're a liar but that it probably didn't go down exactly like that? That or those cops were just super chill.
The cops were way more chill about weed back then. He supposedly got pulled over high before and the cops followed him home to make sure he got there safely.

• Locked thread