Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just got done with episode 3, the interview of the nephew was literally sickening. Half the time I feel like I'm watching an experimental found footage spinoff of Law & Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Speaking of doing independent research, here's some fun data and estimates about DNA evidence exonerees and wrongful conviction from the Innocence Project:

• How much time did the exonerees serve in prison? The sentences served by DNA exonerees spans from five months to 35 years, and on average people served 13.5 years in prison (and several years on parole, in many cases) before they were exonerated through DNA testing.
  • What is the racial breakdown of exonerees? More than 70% are people of color (African American, Latino or Asian) while the remainder are white.
  • What are the ages of exonerees? On average, they were 26 years old when they were convicted and 41 when they were exonerated; fully one-third were between the ages of 14 and 22 when they were wrongfully arrested.
  • Are any of the exonerees women? Four of the first 330 DNA exonerees are women; most DNA cases involve sex crimes or violent physical struggles, which most often are perpetrated by men.
  • How many of the exonerees had criminal records before the wrongful conviction? We don’t know the exact number, but we do know that the vast majority of exonerees did not have significant criminal histories before they were wrongfully convicted; many of them had no criminal record at all.
  • How many innocent people are there in prison? We will never know for sure, but the few studies that have been done estimate that between 2.3% and 5% of all prisoners in the U.S. are innocent (for context, if just 1% of all prisoners are innocent, that would mean that more than 20,000 innocent people are in prison).

:negative:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Even if Avery was OJ-level obviously super duper double secret probation guilty, the handling of his and Brendan's cases are still a grotesque miscarriage of justice and that aspect of it is infinitely more disturbing than anything else in the series, including his barbecued cat you loving idiots.

mcmagic posted:

I said that the criminal justice portion of this story is an utter travesty in my first post in this thread.

Your opinion is still more retarded than the average Wisconsinite.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Robotnik Nudes posted:

These pigs and prosecutors are disgusting. What a disgusting line of work to go into. gently caress them.

The law is a fine line of work to go into, it's just that a lot of assholes and fuckups go into it and unlike most other jobs, people's lives are at stake when they cock up. This is why transparency and accountability in our law enforcement and judiciary needs to be way the gently caress higher than it is right now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grem posted:

Don't let the doc cloud your judgement, if those dudes get paid tomorrow by Bill Cosby they'll be trying their hardest to get a Not Guilty verdict just like they did here.

And they'll still be just as great because if they don't give everyone the same effort in their representation, they're just as guilty of twisting the law into vengeance as the cops and prosecutors in this case.

Mother gently caress, after all of this people still don't get what "systemic flaws in the criminal justice process" actually means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I don't know about that. From the phone calls afterwords with his mom, he sounds like a 10-year old that knows he hosed up and is trying to get out of a spanking. There's certainly reasonable doubt in his case, but I'm not convinced he was completely uninvolved.

Yeah, I wonder why he'd sound like that? Certainly not the hours of scolding and pressure from authority figures to take the rap for grotesque crimes he can barely comprehend, on top of the angry and disappointing tone from his mom in the very same conversation. You'sa doin' your nameasake proud.

• Locked thread