Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Just finished this. I feel like a different person. If you have a hard time trusting people, this documentary won't help.

A few things that really jumped out at me:

The creepy Theresa video that looks like it came straight out of a David Lynch film. "I love my sisters.. I LOVE MY FAMILY." WTF is this and where did it come from?

The Juror being excused for a "medical emergency" and then carrying a large burden of guilt to the point of visiting Brendon at his court case.
If the police are as hosed up and corrupt to plant evidence and sway the case, what would stop them from staging a "medical emergency" to lure one of the jurors away, one who could have potentially swayed the case in Steve's favor?

Steve's sister yelling out of her car "I think the harbachs are in on it" or something of that nature. I believe this to be true, and that the family was manipulated and used for the sole purpose to destroy Steve Avery. I believe they got paid and knew exactly what happened to her.

gently caress everything.

fromsinkingsands fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

TheAbortionator posted:

The excuser juror didn't stand out as suspicious.

Just incredibly lovely luck that the one dude willing to stick by his convictions had an emergency and incredibly sad he now has to live with the fact that someone he thinks is innocent will spend the rest of his life in prison because he left.

I never got the impression he was suspicious. I thought he came off as a genuinely good guy. My thought is that it weighed especially heavy on him because perhaps he may have thought there was a "third party" involvement in the medical emergency.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

quote:

I guess you're trying to be witty. It'd help if you read the transcripts of the interviews and trials then, because this is a part of the story Brendan has consistently maintained to this day. He and Steven bleached and paint-thinnered and used gasoline on the garage floor Halloween night and there's a 4' diameter mark in the garage floor, bleached jeans and eyewitness testimony that corroborates this story.

The only aspect of the "bleaching the garage" story that Brendan changed is that now he claims he didn't know what he was cleaning up in the garage on Halloween night. He basically threw Steven under the bus with this admission--it is not disputed by the defense.

Yet another fact the documentary left out.

Give it up guy. If you think a 16 year old boy and a man with a combined IQ of like 100 could completely remove blood/DNA evidence out of a dusty, cluttered garage more efficiently than loving Dexter, then you are batshit insane.

My bet is that one of the brothers had something to do with it. Probably the one who.. you know.. was caught peeping on little girls in the bathroom? Just a thought.

Also, why would someone go to great lengths to commit such a horrific crime when there is a pending case for him to receive more than $30 million dollars? Makes zero sense. More logical that it was someone within his family who was jealous/against the idea.

fromsinkingsands fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 7, 2016

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

GutBomb posted:

Every individual (aside from the victim) mentioned above is reprehensible. And that poor kid should never have been subjected to that kind of questioning. He was hosed the minute he started talking to police. I read some of his interview transcripts and one thing really stuck out. He mentioned that avery had been planning it for a couple of days and the reason he stated was that avery "missed prison and wanted to go back."

You got a source for this?

I still find it hard to believe. There is footage of Steve talking to one of the special agents, and he adamantly says "I just served 18 years! You think I want to go BACK!?" If someone wanted to go back so badly you'd think he'd admit to his guilt by now.. don't you think?

Also there's phone records of him calling his GF at the time with a cool, calm demeanor and saying how badly he missed her.

Doesn't add up.

fromsinkingsands fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 7, 2016

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

MrBuddyLee posted:

He made the kid lose sleep and 40 pounds of weight and cry uncontrollably for months. He made the kid carry this burden of guilt until the kid eventually unburdened himself, first to his cousin and later to police.

Eh, I don't know. Brendan stated that he thought his GF broke up with him because he was fat, which could have led to the weight loss. He also had really bad acne which is pretty loving difficult to cope with at such a young age. I imagine he got bullied pretty heavily.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

MrBuddyLee posted:

He told his cousin he saw a bound woman and a body, and that he helped clean it up, and that he was worried that the blood might "come up out of the concrete".

I understand that they both recanted those statements later, but I think the narrative makes much more sense if you assume his cousin told the truth until she realized Brendan might go to jail, and then six months later she said she made everything up. She told the initial story to three counselors in January, to her parents in February, and then finally to police in the presence of her parents in March. She only changed her story months later, once Brendan was on trial for murder.

Her initial story is corroborated by the bleach stain in the garage and by Brendan's admission (which he still holds to this day) that he helped clean up a 3'x3' red stain (which he thought might be blood) in the garage with bleach on Halloween night before moving out to the bonfire and burning the clothes he used to clean the stain up with.

The garage/concrete wasn't part of the media narrative at the time. She would have had to invent a story that matched facts not publicly available.

Read the posted interview above and then get back to me. If you still think Brendan had all the answers I'm seriously at a loss for words.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Just trying to figure out this timeline.

In Brendan's first interview (where just audio and text exists) he mentions that Steve hid the car under branches and stuff. Was this before or after they actually found the car with branches on it?

If it was, then it makes sense why it was such a shoddy hide job. Like they literally took Brendan's confession and tried to recreate it. If this confession was AFTER then that's pretty surprising because I'm pretty sure he would not have had the information yet and it would have lined up perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I can't believe my level of interest in this actually got me to watch an episode of Dr. Phil. I feel unclean.

haha right there with you man. I was refreshing all day yesterday to see when the 2nd part was up. I"M A MONSTER!!!

• Locked thread