Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I had very little faith in the American justice system before watching this, but I think every bit of it is gone now.

I'm halfway through episode 9 right now, but it's pretty clear what's going to happen to Brendan based on how the other trial went.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I haven't seen it yet and I'm sure law enforcement is messed up, but frankly I'd totally been OK if they dragged the fucker out behind an alley and unloaded on him.

Police have shot people that were just minding their own business, gently caress Mr. Avery.

ED: Seriously the dude is a creepy hosed up psycho and that's probably why the police had such a hate-on for him. I'm sure the documentary showed him in a better light, and I'm sure the police were corrupt as gently caress, but I just can't feel the least bit sorry for this guy.

Pulling out an 11 year old meme but..

Can make me give two shits about Steven Avery.

Correction: Only jurors that are too stupid to get out of jury duty or are too old and interested in screwing "bad guys" will judge you. Everyone else will find a way to get out of that poo poo on day 1.

You are the stupidest man in the world.

IRQ posted:

I got to the part where he murders a cat with fire 10 minutes in and the show is like "boys will be boys!" about it then turned it off.

Runner-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The entire Avery family seems to be of low intelligence and not the best at making decisions. If anything, that makes how they were victimized by the system even more despicable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chrtrptnt posted:

So I binged through this as well and have a few thoughts and questions. It says that after the juror had to be excused that they were told to either choose a replacement juror, go forward with 11 jurors or having a mistrial/retrial. The documentary doesn't mention why they chose a replacement juror instead of the other choice, does anyone understand that choice?

Steven is not a very smart guy and thought his innocence was obvious to all and probably just wanted it to be over with. The doc emphasized that it was his choice.

As someone who watches a lot of law and order, I would've gone with a mistrial. but of course that would've meant a lot of time in jail until the next trial's conclusion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TL posted:

I will say, despite how unbelievably sad the outcome of his trial was, Brendan did far better on the stand than I thought he would.

If only he had a lawyer who believed in him from the start.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't feel comfortable speculating about "what really happened" because we are missing so many pieces. Not so much because of any bias the documentary might have, but mostly because the police decided on who was guilty before their investigation began, and then very obviously planted and fabricated evidence to reach that conclusion. It's impossible to know what other facts they twisted, or what evidence disproving their theory they left out or simply didn't bother looking at. Simply put, the corrupt investigation makes it totally impossible to actually figure out what happened, because the first responders weren't interested in the truth at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz2k21 posted:

Here in the UK anyone under the age of 18 and/or anyone with a mental illness has to be represented during interview by an appropriate adult, this has to be someone not associated with the police force, it can be a family member as long as they are not involved in the investigation.
I'm very suprised that something like that wasn't in place here especially considering how recent this case is.

The way the US legal system treats the mentally ill and mentally challenged is usually not very good. People slower thant Brenden have gotten the chair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cpaf posted:

They didn't go after Allen because they wanted to frame Avery, who the entire sheriff's department hated and particularly the deputy's wife + her best friend. If they put Allen in they can't put it on Avery. The police department who were monitoring Allen were keen to go after Allen but the sheriff's department (who framed Avery) told them to gently caress off

It's important to keep in mind just how much of a motive the sheriff has to hate Avery. Dude pointed a gun at his wife. Think about what you might do if you heard some hillbilly rear end in a top hat your wife already hates pulled this poo poo. Now imagine you had the kind of resources at your disposal that a sheriff does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

it doesn't make sense to flawlessly clean the garage for DNA but leave a pile of bones 30 feet from the house. It's ridiculous.

Clearly Avery should have been found not guilty due to reasonable doubt although I do believe he was likely innocent. His phone call to Jodi the night of the murder just does not sound like someone who just killed someone. Seeing that all the evidence was obviously planted there's not much else to go on. If someone was stalking her they may have timed the killing with her meeting avery.

Yeah that's something that strikes me as really weird from the "CLEARLY HE WAS GUILTY" posters. The point of a trial isn't to determine if someone is definitely innocent. It's to determine if they're definitely guilty or if there's reasonable doubt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't really think it's productive to engage people who's main takeaway of this doc is "That guy definitely did it."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't think of a more suspect source of information than someone being paid to appear on a terrible 'news' show that has a vested interest in proving the documentary wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

While I don't discount the possibility that Avery is in fact guilty, I find it very weird that anyone in this thread could be absolutely convinced he is to the point that they'd argue the documentary would work better "if he was innocent". I must have missed all the non-tainted decisive evidence you guys are working off of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Good to see that this thread is still just people going "I'm pretty sure he did it though!" and being argued at.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

Sorry for interrupting the pedo-chat, but i'm nearly at the end of this (episode 9 out of 10) and one of the strangest things of this whole case was said at the end by the judge, when he was pronouncing his sentence. He said that Steven Avery's crimes 'were getting more severe as time goes on'. Did the judge miss the part where it turned out he was wrongfully convicted or what?

He was probably referring to his pre-framejob rap sheet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Welp, looks like the kid only lost 9 years of his life due to gross injustices inherent within the system. Whoop-dee-doo.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Wasn't there some retard in this thread saying that Brendan was definitely guilty and that the special agents didn't lead his confession at all. Anyone who was defending the questioning of a mentally stunted teenager should have been required to Toxx themselves

There are so many shitposters in this thread that it's hard to keep track of them all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The cops did such a poo poo job with the investigation and tainting the evidence that I don't think it's possible to ever really know beyond a reasonable doubt if Steven Avery is guilty or not. Which is one of many things the cops should be ashamed of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

When you're done be sure to look up what happened with Brendan. I wouldn't read too much more about the case though. The shows story falls apart a bit with more evidence.

Lol, you're still at it, huh?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The concept of due process is completely foreign to you, isn't it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Disgusting but unsurprising. Such a high profile case is one the state is incredibly likely to double down on no matter the evidence, simply to protect their own reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As far as I know, they haven't yet made a drug that turns you into Carlos Danger.

• Locked thread