Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys, I'm currently caught up and am looking for more podcasts to add to my ever growing list of content, here's what I've liked so far:

Greater Boston. Big Data. The Behemoth. Spines. Maybe Mabel if you have a tolerance for the style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys know of any other really good serialized fiction podcasts, or a repository of some sort that I could browse through that is much of the same stuff? I prefer comedy, but will definitely go for weird.

I'll add Limetown, plus the two GE Theater podcast mini-series (The Message and Life After).

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
If you like comedy, try Qwerpline. It's weird serialized improv comedy, like the drunken bastard offspring of Welcome to Night Vale and UHF, raised by weird al after he gained full custody.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apparently the last season of Black Tapes starts in August. It's going to be six episodes long but after that floaty season 2 I doubt it'll sink the landing

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Limetown frustrates me because it's been years without any follow up.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Turtlicious posted:

Limetown frustrates me because it's been years without any follow up.

The followup was that they got a deal for a TV show and that actually pays real money so it's their focus.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ornamented Death posted:

The followup was that they got a deal for a TV show and that actually pays real money so it's their focus.

Cool, but is that ever coming out? I've heard rumors about this show for over a year, but nothing solid.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jurgan posted:

Cool, but is that ever coming out? I've heard rumors about this show for over a year, but nothing solid.

Welcome to the world of things being optioned and then getting stuck in development hell :smith:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I just found out about Archive 81 season 2, and decided to listen to it.

What.

The.

gently caress?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

So I just found out about Archive 81 season 2, and decided to listen to it.

What.

The.

gently caress?

I'm really unsure how I feel about it. I like how it went a different way from just audio found footage since that seems to be common with this format but they didn't remove that entirely and the tapes he listens to are the weakest parts imo

It was like they tried to take the GE theater route of having sound be the bad guy since it's an audio only format and not doing it as well

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

I'm really unsure how I feel about it. I like how it went a different way from just audio found footage since that seems to be common with this format but they didn't remove that entirely and the tapes he listens to are the weakest parts imo

That I agree with. I like the story and characters in season 2, but it seems like they feel compelled to have him listen to a tape every episode.

So, what the gently caress even is A New Winter at this point? The first season was a fun small town horror story, but it's been drifting since season two started, and the last episode is less Twin Peaks than Southland Tales. Am I understanding right that the narrator is a demon and there's an army of time-displaced dopplegangers of himself? I'm just totally lost. Part of it might be that I drift out of focus at times. The narrator's voice would be good for meditation, but he's so flat and dreamy that I zone out easily. I continue to think it would be better as a novel, but then he'd have to have it all worked out in advance, and I think it's clear that he's just making it up as he goes. The guy does have a novel he's plugging, so maybe that would be worth a look.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

That I agree with. I like the story and characters in season 2, but it seems like they feel compelled to have him listen to a tape every episode.

So, what the gently caress even is A New Winter at this point? The first season was a fun small town horror story, but it's been drifting since season two started, and the last episode is less Twin Peaks than Southland Tales. Am I understanding right that the narrator is a demon and there's an army of time-displaced dopplegangers of himself? I'm just totally lost. Part of it might be that I drift out of focus at times. The narrator's voice would be good for meditation, but he's so flat and dreamy that I zone out easily. I continue to think it would be better as a novel, but then he'd have to have it all worked out in advance, and I think it's clear that he's just making it up as he goes. The guy does have a novel he's plugging, so maybe that would be worth a look.

I actually like the Tapes now as just a small little self contained story. And New Winter is indeed bat poo poo. It's not as bad as Sable (Still the only serialized podcast I stopped listening to.) but it's bat poo poo.

If anyone didn't hear the latest WTNV they're launching http://podcon.com/ for the end of the year in Seattle. since I live there I'll be throwing some money their way.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

The Magnus Archives, Episode 65 - Keyboard Goop

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Am I a crazy person or are we still waiting on the last season of Wolf359?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cool kids inc. posted:

That comes in the next couple months I think. It was a long delay when the last episode ended

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

That comes in the next couple months I think. It was a long delay when the last episode ended

Yeah, they're aiming to start in June and run the season without breaks iirc.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

Every season before has started on Valentine's Day and ended on Christmas. At the end of last season, though, Gabriel Urbina announced (maybe it was only to patrons) that the final season was so big that they wanted extra time to get it ready.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wait? They're actually ending it? Like, it's going to have a narrative conclusion instead of just meandering pointlessly? It's a Memorial Day Miracle.

Now to catch up. I'm so far behind it isn't even funny.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm struggling to keep track of everything in Magnus but worry about searching for flowcharts or the like for fear of spoilers. :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I'm struggling to keep track of everything in Magnus but worry about searching for flowcharts or the like for fear of spoilers. :(

Can't really spoil anything since it's either right there already or just listener conjecture...

Bright Sessions: I think this is the one that puts me over the edge to patreon it. :shutupandtakemymoney: Damien getting the beatdown he so richly deserves, not as good as the slap last month but some good sound engineering.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I always chuckle when Rabbits starts with an ad for TANIS, because the tag line is something like, "TANIS: perhaps the last genuine mystery of the information age." I always want the narrator to stumble after that and go, "I mean, well, besides Rabbits."

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Tweak posted:

I always chuckle when Rabbits starts with an ad for TANIS, because the tag line is something like, "TANIS: perhaps the last genuine mystery of the information age." I always want the narrator to stumble after that and go, "I mean, well, besides Rabbits."

It's doubly funny because they pretty much abandoned that premise in favor of the much more original "creepy location in the woods where weird things happen."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Can't really spoil anything since it's either right there already or just listener conjecture...

Bright Sessions: I think this is the one that puts me over the edge to patreon it. :shutupandtakemymoney: Damien getting the beatdown he so richly deserves, not as good as the slap last month but some good sound engineering.

Theres a good chance Caleb straight up killed Damien in this one. I doubt it, because I think there are more stories to tell with him alive, but it's hard to imagine anyone being able to pull Caleb off him at that point.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Theres a good chance Caleb straight up killed Damien in this one. I doubt it, because I think there are more stories to tell with him alive, but it's hard to imagine anyone being able to pull Caleb off him at that point.

I don't have a problem with this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frank was a great part of the episode

"She's immune to Damien"
"She isn't immune to a pipe to the head"

And Caleb basically Hulked out I'm down. Dude had it coming.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This is why - despite all my complaints - I keep listening to TBS. They are capable of awesome stories.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So the first episode of SAYER season 4 was previewed to backers and it's hitting the ground really strong. It'll be out for everyone in a couple weeks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started Magnus Archives over the other day at work when I finished the audiobook I was going through. I think of the early stuff the fifth episode Thrown Away is the weakest. Even at this point if you check out the spergtastic flow chart http://svgshare.com/i/fh.svg it barely has anything to do with the rest of the series. I'm wondering if it's going to remain that way or somehow connect to things beyond "Well teeth showed up in this episode too"

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just keep listening and ignore the weird flowcharts; unless you're absurdly obsessed with all the little details, the podcasts's writing is good enough to help you keep up with the main points of the metanarrative without much effort. I'm distracted half the time I listen to the show but I'm pretty sure I know what's going on (at least enough to enjoy the show).

Also I love Alice Isn't Dead but someone really needsd to tell Joseph Fink that his weird outro knock knock jokes are really, really bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Montalvo posted:

Just keep listening and ignore the weird flowcharts; unless you're absurdly obsessed with all the little details, the podcasts's writing is good enough to help you keep up with the main points of the metanarrative without much effort. I'm distracted half the time I listen to the show but I'm pretty sure I know what's going on (at least enough to enjoy the show).

Also I love Alice Isn't Dead but someone really needsd to tell Joseph Fink that his weird outro knock knock jokes are really, really bad.

Yeah I'm completely up to date and I donate to the patreon it's just of the first 10 or so this is easily my least favorite. It's just "so we found some weird trash" and there's been no pay off yet

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

Yeah I'm completely up to date and I donate to the patreon it's just of the first 10 or so this is easily my least favorite. It's just "so we found some weird trash" and there's been no pay off yet

They said they wanna do five seasons, so if that's 40 episodes per, then there's still around 130 episodes left, so there's plenty of time for those to be folded into a larger narrative.

I do agree though, that those first few are the weakest part of the show.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I've said it before, but Magnus would make a stellar modern take on a show like "The Twilight Zone" or something. Different low budget actors every week acting out the story while someone narrates.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I've said it before, but Magnus would make a stellar modern take on a show like "The Twilight Zone" or something. Different low budget actors every week acting out the story while someone narrates.

Now I want to see a Magnus Archives version of Drunk History.

Mabel started its third season today and continues to be great.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rabbits is loving weird. I still prefer Tanis.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Oh good, Rabbits introduced a smug-douchebag billionaire who talks in cryptic non-statements because Tanis' Teslanova jabroni wasn't enough.

I think I'm done with PNWS. The writing is just loving awful.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Rabbits is loving weird. I still prefer Tanis.

What episode number had the pool incident originally? I think I had a bad download and I never got it again.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hughlander posted:

What episode number had the pool incident originally? I think I had a bad download and I never got it again.

It had to be 5 or 6.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The volume seems really low on this Bright Sessions. I'm 2 notches below maxed out on my headset. If I was listening to music at this volume I'd blow my eardrums out.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

The volume seems really low on this Bright Sessions. I'm 2 notches below maxed out on my headset. If I was listening to music at this volume I'd blow my eardrums out.

Glad it wasn't me... I listened to it on a new Bluetooth to FM dongle for the car. Had to turn on Overcast's voice boost and kept raising my volume. Was about to return the drat thing.

Annoying place to end the episode as well and while I get the point of the show some of the feelings talk was so clunky I felt triggered by tumblrspeak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So Mabel is good? I'm a couple episodes in. Is it all a crazy person on voicemail messages?

It's very "Night Vale" in a way..

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 7, 2017

• Locked thread