Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I'm really enjoying what I've heard of The Bright Sessions so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Download the Black Tapes

What else is worth the time?

Not the Black Tapes, that's for sure!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah the Black Tapes isn't as bad as the Message but it has severe severe problems. Specifically I can't tell if the main character is purposely being condescending to every interviewee or if the writers/actors don't get that she's clearly broadcasting that she thinks these people are crazy no matter how mild their religious beliefs are. Then of course when not interviewing anyone she falls over herself to believe in an invasion of evil shadow people.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Specifically I can't tell if the main character is purposely being condescending to every interviewee or if the writers/actors don't get that she's clearly broadcasting that she thinks these people are crazy no matter how mild their religious beliefs are.

I think the real problem is that the voice acting is bad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah the Black Tapes isn't as bad as the Message but it has severe severe problems. Specifically I can't tell if the main character is purposely being condescending to every interviewee or if the writers/actors don't get that she's clearly broadcasting that she thinks these people are crazy no matter how mild their religious beliefs are. Then of course when not interviewing anyone she falls over herself to believe in an invasion of evil shadow people.

Then on the flipside, you have TANIS, where the host can only do the Solid Snake "repeat a statement as a question" interview style, and is completely unable to put the pieces together about what's going on around him. You're a journalist, man, act like it! Lia Haddock would have your balls for being so unable to do any solid field research!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Holy poo poo. I just got an email from the Limetown mailing list. Season two is apparently a long way off...

Because they got a book deal and they're working on the Limetown novel and a freaking Limetown television pilot.

Holy poo poo.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Daaaaang. A long wait is a bummer, but if we get more Limetown and it's as good, I'm okay with this.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
If you're looking for something else to tide you over for a bit, I co-produce Synesthesia Theatre, an anthology of 8-12 episode serials. Our first serial, a steampunk western, is halfway finished airing, and we're in the process of casting the second, which will be a near future cyberpunk thriller.

psychopomp fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 20, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Tanis season two just started. Nic Silver is having trouble sleeping. Great, we really needed another insomnia subplot.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That's not everything that happened though, he detailed his invitation to be part of the research team and then found a new trail of weirdness to follow.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Tanis season two just started. Nic Silver is having trouble sleeping. Great, we really needed another insomnia subplot.

Don't worry, he'll take a few weeks off soon to catch up on his rest.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Don't worry, he'll take a few weeks off soon to catch up on his rest.

Naw, there's no ARG elements they need to abandon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I loved Limetown, and Welcome to Nightvale, where do I go to get more of...

That.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alice isn't Dead is pretty good. Unfortunately all the other shows listed in the thread OP are pretty bad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

That.

The future. Unfortunately.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Turtlicious posted:

That.

Wolf 359 is kind of like a Sci Fi Night Vale, starting with a "gag a week" format and switching to a more narrative style as it goes on. It's definitely more of a comedy than drama though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Gann Jerrod posted:

Wolf 359 is kind of like a Sci Fi Night Vale, starting with a "gag a week" format and switching to a more narrative style as it goes on. It's definitely more of a comedy than drama though.

I'd say it's gotten a lot more serious lately. Around episode eleven is where it stopped being "Night Vale in Space" and became its own thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I'd say it's gotten a lot more serious lately. Around episode eleven is where it stopped being "Night Vale in Space" and became its own thing.

Essentially this. It was good until around the first christmas special, then became great. Kind of like Night Vale with the Sandstorm. (Or maybe A Story of You)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Just want to throw in another "hey listen to this you pricks" for Alice Isn't Dead. The latest episode that came out on Tuesday was really good, really left me wanting to hear more. Shout out to Earwicker on the sound, the music is p. great, speaking as a long-time listener to Disparition.

Speaking of which, and off topic, but I have a copy of Taran Wanderer from Bandcamp and it's janky as hell, was it a corrupted file?

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
The Bright Sessions continues to be the best example of the genre right now. The acting is great, the story is being told dynamically and with a lot of separate through threads. It's a really great time.

Tanis continues to suck.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think Tanis wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the stilted dialogue. The story is interesting but drat the acting is bad. I blew through Wolf 359. That's another great example of story telling and acting.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I feel like Tanis got a little better recently, at least as far as Nic taking an active role and not responding to everything with mild confusion.

My main hope for TBT is that Alex will do something with their findings, whether or not she believes in the supernatural stuff. Some complicated arcane sigil is carved under your child's bed? Why not deface it to screw up the 'sacred geometry'? Hmm, nah, just leave it there to show Dr. Strand that you don't believe in it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Black Tapes is back and it's still terrible. I made it about 20 minutes before the sheer pain of constantly rolling my eyes made me pull over and unsubscribe from the podcast.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Oh hey!

They brought in the host from The NoSleep Podcast to poo poo up Small Town Horror as well.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

psychopomp posted:

If you're looking for something else to tide you over for a bit, I co-produce Synesthesia Theatre, an anthology of 8-12 episode serials. Our first serial, a steampunk western, is halfway finished airing, and we're in the process of casting the second, which will be a near future cyberpunk thriller.

This show is pretty great so far! The sound effects are a little loud compared to the dialogue, but the writing and acting are well done.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just blew through all of the episodes of ars PARADOXICA, which is really awesome. I think one of the creators is also working on the Bright Tapes.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Just started listening to the Bright Sessions. Very interesting. Definitely has my attention.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AstroZamboni posted:

Just started listening to the Bright Sessions. Very interesting. Definitely has my attention.

Yeah TBS is pretty good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The dialogue/direction in TBS needs to be a little rougher. It's too refined and practiced most of the time. Introduce 30% more mumblecore into the patients' dialogue readings and it'd be perf, but as it is it feels too rehearsed most of the time.

Not!Kilgrave does a pretty solid job, and so does Caleb most of the time, but other actors can feel a TINY bit plastic-y.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Oh hey!

They brought in the host from The NoSleep Podcast to poo poo up Small Town Horror as well.

That guy is on a quest to be the most generic voiced man possible on every podcast he can, and godspeed I guess

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Just binged up to Damien's first appearance on The Bright Sessions. I've been mentally referring to it as "Heroes (But Good): The Radio Drama" all day.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That guy is on a quest to be the most generic voiced man possible on every podcast he can, and godspeed I guess

He has a fine radio voice, but he is entirely incapable of giving a performance that isn't a grandpa telling spooky stories around a campfire.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cast Iron Brick posted:

He has a fine radio voice, but he is entirely incapable of giving a performance that isn't a grandpa telling spooky stories around a campfire.

He makes some really...interesting choices in how to pronounce certain words, so much so that once it happens, I can't focus on anything else.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Nosleep guy seems to be pathologically incapable of dropping his caustic, one-note Cryptkeeper affectation. He wreaks havoc on everything he's in.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

The Nosleep guy seems to be pathologically incapable of dropping his caustic, one-note Cryptkeeper affectation. He wreaks havoc on everything he's in.

#PrayForPodcasts

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just binged through Ars Paradoxica and Bright Sessions...

Ars was pretty much perfect. I liked the shift from S1 to S2 and look forward for more.

TBS seems too short per episode at 10-15 minutes when everything else I listen to is 20-30. I think this also causes the meta plot to feel like it's moving much slower.

Both are really worth the listen to but I'd do Ars first.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just listened to Small Town Horror. I think I like it so far, but the voice actor of Roger is pretty inept.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

God, The Black Tapes started out so good, how the gently caress did it get so bad this fast?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

God, The Black Tapes started out so good, how the gently caress did it get so bad this fast?

I don't know about the black tapes, but tanis, by the same people, has the same problems AFAIK. They didn't figure out the whole story beforehand and didn't structure it for the show, they came up with an idea and maybe the overarching plot and it's super obvious that they're just trying to answer questions with questions to keep it going. Same problem Lost had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Black Tapes was always garbage, it was just less garbage than it is now. Some of the neat monster-of-the-week ideas were the only thing holding the show up, and those are long gone.

• Locked thread