Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

yeah, good times

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i remember the bike trailer meant to carry children across a suburban bike trail that he was carrying by hand

the lone front caster wheel failed after like a mile because duh its a loving caster and he just gave up lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

guy gave up and everyone was like, huh that was fast, and then he revealed he basically hadn't eaten for 3 days

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

truly a pioneer

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
got intimidated by the coastal hills lol

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Technically he did hike across America, just not very far across.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Atomicthumbs made a chump out of him. Put that in your water filter and pump it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Such a great story

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
The best part was his desperate Uber to his aunt's house.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I liked the part where he described being sick and hungry and tired and was just crouching down on a hill at the campground, staring at some random hiker family and unnerving them

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I was updating non-goons with his progress, it was a crossover hit.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked when people told him to bring some way of cooking food and his response was essentially to say he's a "picky" eater and basically only eats pizza anyway

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Already linked in the "wrong gear" thread but more appropriate for this one:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Archives required

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Its not about not knowing how to cook, its about I'm a very picky eater and have literally lived on pizza, hamburgers, hotwings and chips my entire life. I'm sure you think I'm exaggerating but the people who know me would attest to this statement. I'm also 6' 3" 200# so go ahead and call me fat rear end because that isn't true either.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

*eats only raisins*

*collapses from hunger*

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Levitate posted:

*eats only raisins*

*collapses from hunger*

ah yes, the poor man's trail mix

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
gorp

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

gor

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
*WHEELCRACK*

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hobo Nick will lift me up in his dirtbaggy arms and bear me from sea to shining sea.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Great thread. Lots of good advice, and the only advice he took was to not start in Socal and try to hike across Death Valley in the middle of summer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

i remember the bike trailer meant to carry children across a suburban bike trail that he was carrying by hand

the lone front caster wheel failed after like a mile because duh its a loving caster and he just gave up lmao

I ran into a couple who were hiking from Pittsburgh to DC, pushing and pulling this huge garden cart done up to look like an old covered wagon. They we like 20 miles out side of DC so clearly cart hiking is possible. They were Jesusfreak hippies so maybe that gave them the will to do it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Free Market Mambo posted:

Hobo Nick will lift me up in his dirtbaggy arms and bear me from sea to shining sea.

It'll totally be cool. I'll start hiking and people just start giving me 20s.

Y'know, for mental illness.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I ran into a couple who were hiking from Pittsburgh to DC, pushing and pulling this huge garden cart done up to look like an old covered wagon. They we like 20 miles out side of DC so clearly cart hiking is possible. They were Jesusfreak hippies so maybe that gave them the will to do it.

They we're probably also willing to eat a bit while doing it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

bongwizzard posted:

well looks like they figured out the difficult task of lifting the front of the cart off of the ground when you're pulling it

how can anyone do this the front wheel broke after 3 miles on an unpaved trail :qq:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
3 days actually makes him sound like an amateur mountaineer, does anyone have the thread or a really good memory? i remember if you just say how many miles he made it it's way way loving funnier than 3 days

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

extra stout posted:

3 days actually makes him sound like an amateur mountaineer, does anyone have the thread or a really good memory? i remember if you just say how many miles he made it it's way way loving funnier than 3 days

It's linked a few posts up goober

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

extra stout posted:

Please say he made it <10 miles, as that would be hilarious

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He didn't make it out of the park he started in. The first day was like 10 miles, then the carrier wheel broke and he spent two days moping.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

extra stout posted:

He made it 30-40 miles on good trails over low hill country in like 4-5 days including one spent resting at a hostel before he collapsed on a stairwell, passing out and got carried to a taxi by concerned campers.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
he did raise awareness about mental illness though, in that i now know the mentally ill are retarded

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
The posted thread was closed before he started. Is there another one that chronicles his magical fail?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it was in e/n i think, and possibly got goldmined. he ragequit the thread pretty quickly but not before giving some goons access to his private Facebook updates, which thankfully they didn't goon out and bug him so it was just a slow drip of them relaying updates as he posted from his phone. there was a google maps tracker and gofundme involved as well

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I think this is what you're looking for. He stopped posting early on but other goons kept up with him (what the guy above me said)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Muerte posted:

I'm sure you will be pleased to know I'm attempting it again this coming March.
He gonna die this time.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
He should try it with this thing:

Der pilgerwagen

http://monowalker.com/pilgerwagen.html

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

or just learn how to backpack and save the trailer for when he actually makes it to a long barren stretch where there's no place to supply over a long period of time and needs to carry more poo poo. Not trying to pull it along when you're minutes from a major US city

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just carry your poo poo on your back like a real man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Mathlete posted:

He should try it with this thing: